HAL requiring masks?

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

I believe it's also the case that if one does unfortunately test positive, they are able to cancel right up to time of boarding.  That is how I read the "Cruise with Confidence."  

@kazu Jacqui was talking about being able to cancel 30 or more days out for any reason and getting FCCs.  We're supposed to board in less than that so we no longer are covered by that.

26 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm glad to see they will accept the antigen test, as well as PCR.  Easier and more accessible option, I think.  I'd be nervous waiting for PCR results.  The rapid tests at least allow you to re-test quickly, in case there is a false positive.  At least that's my impression from muddling through all this stuff.  Some places will only accept the PCR tests.  

Walgreen's in Seattle, quite a few locations I notice, has the antigen test available.  I THINK appts can be made a few days in advance for a time/location to get the test done.  The Binex test is a rapid antigen test with results in around an hour, and it's supposed to be free.  They are available at Walgreens in most states.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zelker said:

@kazu Jacqui was talking about being able to cancel 30 or more days out for any reason and getting FCCs.  We're supposed to board in less than that so we no longer are covered by that.

I know.  I just wanted to clarify that if anyone like you is boarding soon, they don't have to be fearful of taking a big economic hit, should they test positive.  

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I know.  I just wanted to clarify that if anyone like you is boarding soon, they don't have to be fearful of taking a big economic hit, should they test positive.  

And I don't want to fly to Seattle and chance testing positive.  

10 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Walgreen's in Seattle, quite a few locations I notice, has the antigen test available.  I THINK appts can be made a few days in advance for a time/location to get the test done.  The Binex test is a rapid antigen test with results in around an hour, and it's supposed to be free.  They are available at Walgreens in most states.

My understanding is that the Binax test is self-administered at home.  HAL's verbiage says testing must be medically supervised.

1 minute ago, zelker said:

My understanding is that the Binax test is self-administered at home.  HAL's verbiage says testing must be medically supervised.

I just looked at the Walgreens site and the Binax test is done there at the location.  However, there were no appointments available within any reasonable driving distance of me (I'm in Los Angeles so there's a dozen Walgreens within a 10-15 min drive of me) so I'm sure people in less metropolitan areas will have a hard time securing an appointment at Walgreens

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

CVS has a robust testing program as well.

There are no CVS's within 100 miles of Denver that are doing testing.  It's pretty much Walgreens or nothing.  

For passengers who come into Seattle there are two Walgreen's near Pier 91.  

2438 32nd West  Phone 206-283-9131

1448 NW Market St.  206-676-4062

I am not sure about the timing and waiting for the test results, just close locations.  This could help people coming into Seattle a few days ahead of their cruise.

It's my understanding that some of the "home tests" are done "under medical supervision"   There was a helpful post here somewhere about that.  They actually have you do the test on a zoom call or equivalent and somebody walks you through the process, watches you use the swab, etc.

That might work for some.

Posted (edited)

PCR test are sometimes a 72 hour wait. We took one for our flight to Hawaii in June.  My husbands results came through in 24 hours. I didn’t get mine until 2 hours before our limo picked us up for the flight. Talk about stress. Rapid tests were not acceptable. 😢

Denise

Edited by dchip

Walgreen's also has the rapid ID Now test that gets results quickly.  The folks traveling to Hawaii have had to be dealing with this for months.  And, FWIW, the HAL order says within 72 hours in advance I believe, not 3 days, so 72 hours of what--departure time for the ship's leaving Seattle, or??  Not sure about tests' availability in California; check CVS or other more local pharmacies or your own doctor's office.  The difficulty is if you are coming to Seattle early.  Getting the appt. set is the trick--check with Walgreen's--I think the Hawaii folks said the appointment book opened up a few days before when you actually could make the appt. on the day you wanted.

These requirements are not surprising, but definitely disappointing. We booked a few weeks ago, with the hope of "normalcy" onboard with fully vaccinated passengers, as Lisa, Brett, Idie and others have experienced.  Sadly, it's the masking that will make us re-think this trip.  Just cannot envision being masked while in the thalassotherapy pool, or while on the heated loungers, or when dancing at BB Kings, or.....  well, you get the picture.  I'll wait a week or two for this to settle before probably pulling the plug (yet again!) Wishing everyone booked on the next few sailings the best of luck. Your experiences will be closely followed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, suec12 said:

So I see the HAL notice says those embarking in the US must have test done beforehand, test will not done at pier. We are (dare we hope) embarking in Venice so for EU cruises, will HAL do the tests at pier?

Of course that assumes HAL has an embarkation pier lined up for us in Venice - that seems to be unclear at this time🤣  Here's what it said when you click onto the travelwell link in that email that was received: 

All of our 2021 cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination and proof of a negative, medically observed viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 72 hours of their embarkation. For guests embarking in Europe, we are conducting mandatory COVID-19 antigen testing at the pier pursuant to the EU Healthy Gateways Protocols. This test will be complimentary, and a negative result will satisfy our new testing requirements.

8 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Walgreen's also has the rapid ID Now test that gets results quickly.  The folks traveling to Hawaii have had to be dealing with this for months.  And, FWIW, the HAL order says within 72 hours in advance I believe, not 3 days, so 72 hours of what--departure time for the ship's leaving Seattle, or??  Not sure about tests' availability in California; check CVS or other more local pharmacies or your own doctor's office.  The difficulty is if you are coming to Seattle early.  Getting the appt. set is the trick--check with Walgreen's--I think the Hawaii folks said the appointment book opened up a few days before when you actually could make the appt. on the day you wanted.

Test has to taken within 72 hours of embarkation--sorry I didn't read it closely enough, so am answering my own question

1 minute ago, atexsix said:

Hate to say I told ya so, but I'll say it anyway.  

And no pier testing....sigh....darn you HAL!

Yes.  Totally agree they should be doing testing at the pier.  Maybe they will later.  I suppose that has to be organized.  But they should have known it was probable and had the protocols ready to go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, julia said:

These requirements are not surprising, but definitely disappointing. We booked a few weeks ago, with the hope of "normalcy" onboard with fully vaccinated passengers, as Lisa, Brett, Idie and others have experienced.  Sadly, it's the masking that will make us re-think this trip.  Just cannot envision being masked while in the thalassotherapy pool, or while on the heated loungers, or when dancing at BB Kings, or.....  well, you get the picture.  I'll wait a week or two for this to settle before probably pulling the plug (yet again!) Wishing everyone booked on the next few sailings the best of luck. Your experiences will be closely followed.

I completely agree.  We're going to rethink it.  I'm curious to see how Celebrity handles people showing up at the pier without it this weekend, I just don't feel they have thought out or perhaps they don't care all the issues involved, some people live out in the country where there are no drug stores or medical clinics for miles.