Jump to content

Caribbean Ports Testing Requirements - How many and what cost?


 Share

Recommended Posts

I have been trying to get through to P&O all morning on various numbers with no luck. We have to pay our balance on Oct 3rd with little or no information available to be able to make a decision on whether to proceed and pay Balance or move it. We need to know if we can get off independently and how much testing costs will be before we can make an informed decision. This cruise includes a £3400 FCC so we cannot afford to just cancel  it.

 

As we have 4 further cruises booked with P&O in 2022/3 we don't really have a slot to move to until the new 2023 Summer launch we are in an impossible position and cannot even phone P&O to vent our feelings. I basically need them to offer a solution to our problem or I think we will just cancel those 4 future cruises and lose our deposits. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I have been trying to get through to P&O all morning on various numbers with no luck. We have to pay our balance on Oct 3rd with little or no information available to be able to make a decision on whether to proceed and pay Balance or move it. We need to know if we can get off independently and how much testing costs will be before we can make an informed decision. This cruise includes a £3400 FCC so we cannot afford to just cancel  it.

 

As we have 4 further cruises booked with P&O in 2022/3 we don't really have a slot to move to until the new 2023 Summer launch we are in an impossible position and cannot even phone P&O to vent our feelings. I basically need them to offer a solution to our problem or I think we will just cancel those 4 future cruises and lose our deposits. 

Sorry to hear that.. I thought my dilemma was bad, you say you lose your deposit that is terrible.

 

I have paid up front the full cost of transatlantic for my cruise and all I'm wanting to know is what are my options can I cancel and get a full refund or can I transfer as it is not clear and I don't want the 30 days to kick in before I am given an option. any help on this matter from anyone would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry for your troubles. My balance was due 22nd September but my agent has managed to extend this date until 9th October in the hope the Caribbean protocols will be decided and also the UK Government requirements will be confirmed. Is there any way you could arrange an extension or are you directly booked with P&O?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm sorry for your troubles. My balance was due 22nd September but my agent has managed to extend this date until 9th October in the hope the Caribbean protocols will be decided and also the UK Government requirements will be confirmed. Is there any way you could arrange an extension or are you directly booked with P&O?

Please Ignore

Edited by bee-ess
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

I am booked with P&O direct and just want to speak to someone about it. I will try tomorrow when they open. Hopefully I can get an extension until the 2023 brochure is out so I have somewhen to move it too and also by them the protocols should be a lot clearer.

 

Edited by bee-ess
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bee-ess said:

I am booked with P&O direct and just want to speak to someone about it. I will try tomorrow when they open. 

I’m so sorry to read of your problems in getting thru to P&O.
All I can suggest is to keep hitting the re-dial button minutes before they open….

Whilst it is most definitely not the fault of those answering the phones it must put you off booking thru them again.

Good luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any one know what the difference is between an early saver and a saver.

 

Looks like there is no way out I paid up in full and so either lose money or go on it and pay the excursion's that I hasten to add are nearly all sold out!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have you managed to speak to P&O regarding this? Im sorry you may have already said, but when did you book/pay for your cruise? Does your confirmation say Saver - it should state clearly on your documentation, for instance was their an obligation to pay in full at booking or did you just choose to do so. It would be wise to double check your paperwork before assuming all is lost.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 6:20 PM, molecrochip said:

I expect details of testing requirements for the Caribbean to be released in October.

This is the post that leads me to believe the protocols for Caribbean are not settled yet and we should all stay calm and await the official announcement. The Executive Office of P&O and Cunard have also replied to me in these terms some time ago.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no indication that it was booked as a saver on any documentation  all I know is I booked it as an early saver but according to the list it looks unlikely I would get a refund and stand to lose 50% which I am not prepared to do I am not sure if I am able to transfer it that is why I need to speak to them but still no joy, so will just have to wait and see what happens.

 

it will be interesting as to the P & O policy they will adhere to (as subject to change at any time) regarding getting off at ports in Spain and Portugal, Italy and France if they only let you get off if you are on a P & O  Excursion after all it is in their interest to protect fellow passengers and crew alike from someone bringing the virus on board🤪.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FAQ FROM P AND O website below.

 

Until 25 September, you will only be able to go ashore through our new range of organised and vetted shore experiences. Port transfer and shore experience operators will be subject to new policies and procedures to reflect the latest approved guidance in line with our on-board protocols. On top of that, we’ve a whole wealth of brand new shore experiences available with options to suit every budget and every traveller. We know how much our guests love to get under the skin of each destination and so we’re introducing a new range of affordable options to make sure you have the opportunity to still experience the best of each exciting stop. Our new experiences will help you get to the heart of each port and you can be reassured knowing your well-being is protected. 

From 25 September, guests will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure you always have the option to explore each destination.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is on the Cunard site under the FAQ 'Can I Explore Ashore Independently?'

 

From 13 October, guests will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific Covid-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you purchase Cunard shore experiences prior to travel to ensure you always have the option to explore each destination.

We organise testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board (at a cost of £18/$25 per antigen test per person and £25/$35 per PCR test per person). Currently, the majority of ports we will be visiting this year do not require entry testing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See below for the response I’ve just received, however I find it very general, which concerns me.

 

We organise testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board, at a cost of £18 per antigen test per person and £25 per PCR test per person. Currently the majority of ports we will be visiting this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a UK re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if you are denied entry to a country because you do not meet its entry requirements. 

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and we look forward to welcoming you on board.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Dgtrainer99 said:

Having gone through the thread, it appears that there is still no conclusive answer fromP&O ref. disembarkation testing at the Caribbean islands, or has anyone heard different?

Correct.

 

Its best part of 2 months before Britannia is due to arrive in Barbados for the first time this year. In that time, there is expected to be changes to the Passenger Locator Form and the UK government traffic light system. Likewise there is an expectation that some Caribbean islands will adopt different rules for cruise ships carrying vaccinated/pre-tested guests to the general visitors arriving by plane.

 

It is very likely that P&O know what all of these changes are. As I've explained before, travel companies tend to get advance warning so they can put plans in place, but are not allowed to share the information ahead of the government announcement. Same is likely with Caribbean ports.

 

If the information hasn't been released by 8 October (2 weeks before the transatlantic), then people should be concerned.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Correct.

 

Its best part of 2 months before Britannia is due to arrive in Barbados for the first time this year. In that time, there is expected to be changes to the Passenger Locator Form and the UK government traffic light system. Likewise there is an expectation that some Caribbean islands will adopt different rules for cruise ships carrying vaccinated/pre-tested guests to the general visitors arriving by plane.

 

It is very likely that P&O know what all of these changes are. As I've explained before, travel companies tend to get advance warning so they can put plans in place, but are not allowed to share the information ahead of the government announcement. Same is likely with Caribbean ports.

 

If the information hasn't been released by 8 October (2 weeks before the transatlantic), then people should be concerned.

Thx.

 

The problem is when they say nothing, or keep it very open, whilst I understand that sometimes they need to, it just leaves a big question mark? That doesn’t I still confidence.

 

if they know something it would be better to at least prompt that there will be improvements alongside timescales, without giving details of what.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, Megabear2 said:

I'm sorry for your troubles. My balance was due 22nd September but my agent has managed to extend this date until 9th October in the hope the Caribbean protocols will be decided and also the UK Government requirements will be confirmed. Is there any way you could arrange an extension or are you directly booked with P&O?

Megabear2 - from reading your posts I think you and I are both on the Cunard Caribbean cruise from Southampton leaving on Jan 14th 2022 (I have two P&O cruises booked as well in 2022 so hope folks will allow me to comment here!).

I see your TA has permitted a delay in final payment, but mine wants over £5k tomorrow, and on the reminder has already fined me £20 for not paying by tomorrow(sic)!

As I have paid over £1000 deposit which I will lose if I cancel, I am about to leap over the edge and pay the £5k and wonder how many other lemmings are about to follow me over the same cliff!

I notice there is only one St.Lucia Cunard tour available on the web-site which involves climbing the Pitons (I am 78). Really looking forward to that!

Such fun!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bbtablet said:

Megabear2 - from reading your posts I think you and I are both on the Cunard Caribbean cruise from Southampton leaving on Jan 14th 2022 (I have two P&O cruises booked as well in 2022 so hope folks will allow me to comment here!).

I see your TA has permitted a delay in final payment, but mine wants over £5k tomorrow, and on the reminder has already fined me £20 for not paying by tomorrow(sic)!

As I have paid over £1000 deposit which I will lose if I cancel, I am about to leap over the edge and pay the £5k and wonder how many other lemmings are about to follow me over the same cliff!

I notice there is only one St.Lucia Cunard tour available on the web-site which involves climbing the Pitons (I am 78). Really looking forward to that!

Such fun!

Yes, we are indeed on the same Cunard cruise. I too have several P&O cruises booked for later this year and right through next year. I did have a November Britannia cruise booked which I eventually moved to 30 December 2022 because of the stress and worry over the tests with no information forthcoming.  It was a great relief to be truthful.  The Cunard one I have hung on to in the hope the information I require will be available very soon.  The costings appearing on both websites for the tests have been some comfort for me.  As the Cunard cruise does not involve flights it has been relatively easy to work out an approximate cost for tests which has always been my main worry.  My one remaining doubt is the published protocol only runs to 31 December and we leave two weeks later, but hopefully we will be kept informed once balances are paid.

 

The P&O fly cruise just became too complicated for me, particularly as there were so many island destinations involved. It didn't feel much like a holiday constantly having swabs up my nose!

 

Regarding St Lucia there haven't been any excursions showing apart from disabled options from the beginning.

 

My agent is extremely good and completely understood the problems about protocols.  I'm sorry you have been "fined", that seems a bit strong considering card payments are almost instant. I would at least question that one if I were you.

 

Good luck, hopefully I might meet you onboard!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2021 at 12:14 PM, Megabear2 said:

Yes, we are indeed on the same Cunard cruise. I too have several P&O cruises booked for later this year and right through next year. I did have a November Britannia cruise booked which I eventually moved to 30 December 2022 because of the stress and worry over the tests with no information forthcoming.  It was a great relief to be truthful.  The Cunard one I have hung on to in the hope the information I require will be available very soon.  The costings appearing on both websites for the tests have been some comfort for me.  As the Cunard cruise does not involve flights it has been relatively easy to work out an approximate cost for tests which has always been my main worry.  My one remaining doubt is the published protocol only runs to 31 December and we leave two weeks later, but hopefully we will be kept informed once balances are paid.

 

The P&O fly cruise just became too complicated for me, particularly as there were so many island destinations involved. It didn't feel much like a holiday constantly having swabs up my nose!

 

Regarding St Lucia there haven't been any excursions showing apart from disabled options from the beginning.

 

My agent is extremely good and completely understood the problems about protocols.  I'm sorry you have been "fined", that seems a bit strong considering card payments are almost instant. I would at least question that one if I were you.

 

Good luck, hopefully I might meet you onboard!

 

 

Hi, I'm on the same Cruise as well.  Let's hope things become clearer with regard to organised excursions only.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are on the TA in October as of yet we have heard nothing about testing, but we understand things can change so we prefer not to be told one thing for it to change next day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Practical testing requirements for the Caribbean cruises on Britannia/Azura and also the wider vaccination policy post 31 December 2021 will be announced on 30 September 2021.

 

They are holding off as long as possible so that they can be as favourable, whilst still being sensible, as possible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...