DON"T BOOK Royal Caribbean

Yes - as an industry cruise lines we’re booking (and continue to) take bookings for ships that are not currently active.

All part of the process - has been for years. 

Selling 4500 cabins isn’t exactly easy nor are there 4500 people standing outside their offices demanding the company take their money and willing to go whenever/wherever the ship is going. It’s a long process between opening up a ship and sailing. 

I had an anniversary trip, not cruise, cancelled because of COVID last year.  NO refund, but credit for the airfare (international, so more than many people pay for a cruise).

A friend of mine died at the beginning of COVID, his memorial service is still on hold.

It is life these days.  You can get frustrated, but you need to be flexible.

Go out for a nice dinner, and later celebrate a belated anniversary with a cruise or other trip later.  I am sure your spouse knows that the two of you tried.

And yes, Royal Caribbean's customer service is horrible.

This past winter, we hit final payment on a cruise we knew would not go.  But most of the cruise would be covered by FCC from a previously cancelled cruise.  So I figure go ahead and pay, and when they cancel, take the extra FCC on to the next cruise.  Royal charged my card for THE WHOLE CRUISE.  They did not apply the FCC at all.  And this was for a 12 night in a Grand Suite, so a LOT of money.  I use a TA and we got it straightened out.  But due to the timing, it still cost me a couple of hundred dollars in CC interest fees before the refund came in.

Happy Anniversary.

3 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Victim of circumstance?  How are they victims of not hiring enough people to pick up the phone or not having a system that drops calls?  How are they a victim of taking payments immediately, yet waiting 45 to 60 days to process a return?  I hope they go belly up.  Maybe the new company will provide better customer service. 

I guess you haven't been playing attention to ... I don't know the whole world affairs the last 18 months? They're not cancelling things, changing things or changing policy maliciously. The environment requires them to make those changes -- in a way it's outside their control. Yeah call center and helpful reps are an issue, but they're getting clobbered with requests, changes and cancellations. A tiny bit of empathy for those working on the other side of the call would help here. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, coldflame said:

I guess you haven't been playing attention to ... I don't know the whole world affairs the last 18 months? They're not cancelling things, changing things or changing policy maliciously. The environment requires them to make those changes -- in a way it's outside their control. Yeah call center and helpful reps are an issue, but they're getting clobbered with requests, changes and cancellations. A tiny bit of empathy for those working on the other side of the call would help here. 

The environment  allows them to charge your card right away, but then delay 4-6 weeks to issue a refund. Got it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I could be wrong here but I do not believe Royal canceled the OPs cruise, it looks like they may have been hit by the new rule where you must be vaccinated due to St Thomas requiring it so they canceled.  They were posting on one of the Allure roll calls where that happened.  Yes refunds should still process faster than 45 or so days but probably will, betting they are upset on needing to cancel and taking it out here.  As  usual with these types of posts, pretty sure there ismore to the story than their post portrays.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Not everyone has the advantage of a credit card to make an unexpected expenditure of a few thousand dollars.  Many have to save for a while, to afford a special anniversary trip. And a travel agent would not have been able to keep their trip scheduled, so they would still be dealing with sadness and stress.

Then you're going to be very very surprised and saddened if you run into a minor medical emergency and need to be treated at a local hospital outside of your home country. The patient has to pay up front before medical care is provided or at the least before you will be allowed to leave the hospital.

Travel insurance is a "reimbursement" type policy in 99% of cases.

On a recent trip to Cancun, my wife fell and required x-rays and stitches. The hospital required a $3600 deposit before they would begin treatment.

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

perhaps, it needn't be that expensive?

Good grief, we don't even cruise for a few thousand dollars. The max I've ever paid for all 3 of us is $2,500 (and that's for a 10 day cruise).

Possibly, but for a 10 year anniversary it’s likely one didn’t book an inside cabin.  Plus, you have more than just the fare.  Gratuities, airfare, parking, drinks, etc.  it adds up

18 hours ago, Honey4BeaR said:

DON't Book Royal Caribbean. They will screw with you reservations. They will not give you a refund. IF you do get any type of refund you must wait 45-65 days for a refund!!!!!!!!

They put you on hold for hours, hang up on you and generally don't care about their guest. 

I was on hold for 1 hour only to finally talk to someone who hung up on me 30 mins into trying to figure something out. 

Got not phone call back. Called back myself waited 45 mins on hold and then the call disconnected. Asked me if I wanted to talk a customer survey and nothing. 

Called back again call dropped but I could take the customer survey after 38 minutes. Finally called and they said they will give us a refund of some kind but it will take 45-65 days our trip was supposed to be for our 10 year anniversary and now we are robbed of this trip and the money. SO we have no money for our 10 year anniversary trip all because Royal Caribbean screwed us over. THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!! heartless company who won't help. 

Very sorry you are having such a tough time!  I have found, through years of experience, that if you need to call any customer service line, do it when they first open in the morning.  I have actually set my alarm clock to get up and call early.  That being said..... I hope you can enjoy your anniversary some how.  Sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.  

Loved the "face diaper" comment from an earlier post.  Person must be listening to the same talk show person I do, only person I have ever heard use that.  

OP had a minor mishap in life over a 10 yr anniversary.  We booked Alaska as a family vacation and 50 yr anniversary for us for 2020.  Then had to L&S to 2021 and now we have high hopes for 2022.  Not exactly our 50th we had hoped for but we are not so locked into celebrating on the exact day.  OP can make their anniversary what they want but I always thought the idea was to be together, regardless of where you were or what you were doing.  We have all had disappointment during this last 2 years and in the end life will get better.

Just as an aside, we had a Grand Loft suite booked on Ovation, cancelled and booked Grand Loft on Ovation, cancelled and got the chance to book Royal Loft on Quantut for 2022.  Still waiting to celebrate 50 years but in 2022 it will be 52, better than 50 and we still had a great time with family for the 50.  Life is what you make it and if you are so upset about not being able to celebrate on a given day you need to reevaluate  what makes you happy.  Be glad you still have a mate to celebrate with regardless of when or where.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Loved the "face diaper" comment from an earlier post.  Person must be listening to the same talk show person I do, only person I have ever heard use that.  

Be careful of what you assume.  My 21yo kid uses the phrase, and I guarantee he doesn't listen to ANY talk show person.  It's a pretty common term throughout the country.

And for the OP -- sorry you chose not to get vaccinated and cannot go on your cruise (which did not get cancelled, just changed vax status requirements due to the port of call).  But as a bazillion others have stated before me in this thread, that's life in a pandemic.  Plans change. 

This wasn't something that Royal Caribbean "did to you" and they're not doing anything illegal or immoral. 

Get over yourself and move on with your life.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Thanks for the advice. I'll go book Carnival right now!

oh no do not.

they were loose with their rules and are now eating CROW.  Now their passengers are scrambling just like Celebrity had to.

I feel all the lines are having a hard time of it.  Just try to smile and be patient.  Otherwise look into some great driving trips around the USA

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

oh no do not.

they were loose with their rules and are now eating CROW.  Now their passengers are scrambling just like Celebrity had to.

I feel all the lines are having a hard time of it.  Just try to smile and be patient.  Otherwise look into some great driving trips around the USA

That's the question I have.....are any of the other lines that much better?

I know the DW and one of her friends had a Dec 2020 cruise with CCL that was cancelled and they got their money back quicker than what we did with HAL.  Not sure of the time it took but seemed reasonable.

I got a refund from Royal Caribbean within a couple weeks of when I cancelled our cruise.  They said I would get FCC but they refunded my credit card.  Just as well.  Not sailing anywhere any time soon with all the cancellations going on and uncertainty of sailing.

21 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

You assume that the OP is well traveled and would have known a TA could have gotten them a refund sooner. But then again, there are people like me who won't use TAs because we are too OCD. We like having control over our bookings and don't want to work around a TAs work hours if we want to make a change now 🙂 

Not sure what control you have that I don't because of TA

When I need to change or fix something,  I just call the company and someone will do it for me.

I am not going to sit on hold for an hour or so to do it.

The TA has runs fairly late hours.

And  I am not one of the crazies that wake up at 3AM and decide I need to have a cabin relocated this instant..

17 hours ago, 3kidsncats said:

Not everyone has the advantage of a credit card to make an unexpected expenditure of a few thousand dollars.  Many have to save for a while, to afford a special anniversary trip. And a travel agent would not have been able to keep their trip scheduled, so they would still be dealing with sadness and stress.

I am sure they have a CC.

Almost everyone does or they should(unless they are so rich they don't need one).

I don't condone using the card for everything

But if it is your Anniversary, you can make an exception

Instead of getting mad and blaming RC..

44 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I am sure they have a CC.

Almost everyone does or they should(unless they are so rich they don't need one).

I don't condone using the card for everything

But if it is your Anniversary, you can make an exception

Instead of getting mad and blaming RC..

They most likely do have an actual credit card, that doesn’t mean they have the option to charge a large amount of money.  OP has already clearly stated that they can’t afford to come up with additional funds and need their money back in order to book something else.  If they had a credit card with large enough available credit, no doubt OP wouldn’t have mentioned not being able to book without the refund.

Edited by 3kidsncats
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 3kidsncats said:

They most likely do have an actual credit card, that doesn’t mean they have the option to charge a large amount of money.  OP has already clearly stated that they can’t afford to come up with additional funds and need their money back in order to book something else.  If they had a credit card with large enough available credit, no doubt OP wouldn’t have mentioned not being able to book without the refund.

I would bet they have the available funds on credit to use as needed.

But the story is more appealing when you can blame RC and she can now become a victim.

Just now, matj2000 said:

But the story is more appealing when you can blame RC and she can now become a victim.

Whatever.  I’m not inclined to automatically assume everyone is out to get something so I will take OP at her word.  And I know plenty of people who couldn’t afford to rebook without their refund, as well as plenty that it wouldn’t be an issue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

And you would know this how?  I agree there’s probably more to the story than OP is saying (and BTW where is OP?) but you have NO WAY of knowing her financial situation.  I imagine there is a large segment of the population for whom “double dipping” a vacation  would not be possible.

Edited by poocher
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

The environment  allows them to charge your card right away, but then delay 4-6 weeks to issue a refund. Got it. 

Don’t book a cruise, it is not like any of this is a surprise.  They have had no income for a year, and they still have to pay their loans or they go out of business.  If you can’t afford to float them a loan you should not be cruising.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, poocher said:

And you would know this how?  I agree there’s probably more to the story than OP is saying (and BTW where is OP?) but you have NO WAY of knowing her financial situation.  I imagine there is a large segment of the population for whom “double dipping” a vacation  would not be possible.

I said "I would bet".

Which means that is my opinion..

On 8/4/2021 at 9:17 PM, Honey4BeaR said:

DON't Book Royal Caribbean. They will screw with you reservations. They will not give you a refund. IF you do get any type of refund you must wait 45-65 days for a refund!!!!!!!!

They put you on hold for hours, hang up on you and generally don't care about their guest. 

I was on hold for 1 hour only to finally talk to someone who hung up on me 30 mins into trying to figure something out. 

Got not phone call back. Called back myself waited 45 mins on hold and then the call disconnected. Asked me if I wanted to talk a customer survey and nothing. 

Called back again call dropped but I could take the customer survey after 38 minutes. Finally called and they said they will give us a refund of some kind but it will take 45-65 days our trip was supposed to be for our 10 year anniversary and now we are robbed of this trip and the money. SO we have no money for our 10 year anniversary trip all because Royal Caribbean screwed us over. THANKS FOR NOTHING!!!! heartless company who won't help. 

I hear you're frustrated and you didn't give enough information to understand the full issue.  However, your cruise isn't for a month and it is still happening.  At the time you scheduled (before Covid), the cancelation policy would have given you back only 25% of the cruise fare.  I presume you used a CC to pay for the cruise and if so, they will refund you to the CC which does take time for any company of size that I've ever dealt with.  I do hope you can calm yourself and enjoy your milestone Anniversary.  

17 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

Yes, exactly that environment. Even in the best of times it took Royal 1-2 weeks to refund stuff. Now the volume of cancellations, refunds etc., their accounting team must be absolutely overwhelmed to say the least. But I get it, your sound bitter and you will find Royal at fault regardless of facts or circumstances.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Yes, exactly that environment. Even in the best of times it took Royal 1-2 weeks to refund stuff. Now the volume of cancellations, refunds etc., their accounting team must be absolutely overwhelmed to say the least. But I get it, your sound bitter and you will find Royal at fault regardless of facts or circumstances.

Not bitter at all. Just not a cheerleader. God forbid they hire more staff to refund monies due in a timely manner.  Staffing is their issue and not the consumers.  totally ridiculous people think this is acceptable.