Aug 7th W-E-W Caribbean Edge Cruise - B3B

Ken the cruiser

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

So folks driving or flying  home after the cruise wont be tested by X.? Less complicated for us 

Wonder if airlines or home  cities will require tests as it was last March for NY bound  fliers?

That's what I understand as someone over here in the peanut gallery who is driving back to Alabama after our cruise. But if you're flying home, I would definitely check on airline requirements if that might be a concern for you.

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's what I understand as someone over here in the peanut gallery who is driving back to Alabama after our cruise. But if you're flying home, I would definitely check on airline requirements if that might be a concern for you.

Fortunately, as snowbirds, the plan is that we will be driving to and from the port to  our seasonal home.    Next week we will fly out abd back to NY..happy no pre or post flight tests are required anymore,  We are nervous about the flights..double mask time!

18 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I believe they are only giving free antigen tests to those folks that are disembarking and flying home to a foreign country that requires the test to enter. So if you're flying back home in the US, they will not be giving you an antigen test. At least that's my understanding. 

They will also provide PCR tests to those passengers requiring one to fly home. Canadian passengers, for example.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

So I have a question for those folks following this thread who boarded the Edge today. As you may have heard, there have been a variety of issues on previous Edge embarkation days at PE since the July 17th sailing. So, how was your experience?

Ken, I’m presuming embarkation had no issues yesterday because nobody responded to your question.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if there were any glitches in embarkation yesterday there would be oodles of posts about it!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Ken, I’m presuming embarkation had no issues yesterday because nobody responded to your question.  You can bet your bottom dollar that if there were any glitches in embarkation yesterday there would be oodles of posts about it!!!

That’s a very good point as everyone seems very excited about being onboard, which is great not only for us but also for Celebrity. The last few cruises has been pretty costly for them. 😎

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That’s a very good point as everyone seems very excited about being onboard, which is great not only for us but also for Celebrity. The last few cruises has been pretty costly for them. 😎

Apex is sailing in the Med with 320 passengers, as reported by a cruiser on FB.  Yes, very costly for Celebrity. Our b2b/TA on Apex is not until Oct of 2022. Just hoping that things continue to improve and positive comments are all the norm!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Apex is sailing in the Med with 320 passengers, as reported by a cruiser on FB.  Yes, very costly for Celebrity. Our b2b/TA on Apex is not until Oct of 2022. Just hoping that things continue to improve and positive comments are all the norm!

Wow! That’s quite low, a little over 10%? Regarding the Edge they’ve been sailing between the 40-50% range from what I’ve been hearing.

But I was also referring to the issues surrounding the last minute requirement to issue a COVID antigen test to all passengers at the terminal on the July 30 cruise, costing them around $150+k ($200 per stateroom or $300 per suite from what I’ve heard) in “I’m sorry” nonrefundable OBC compensation for the very hectic delay passengers experienced on embarkation day.

Then there was with the 12 hour medical emergency detour to Grand Turks Island late in that same July 30 cruise that caused the Edge to arrive 12 hours late into PE around 5 pm. To compensate the Aug 7th passengers for their delayed departure and multiple hours lingering around in the terminal along with having to cancel one port of call from the itinerary, Costa Maya, they gave each passenger one day cruise fare in refundable OBC. I can’t even imagine how much that compensation totaled, but I’m sure it was significant!

Hopefully, for everyone’s sake, there will be smooth sailing from here on out. Well, then there’s Grace to consider, but so far the seas have been relatively calm.😎

image.jpgMy DW says hi!! 😌

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Internet update: Just did a speed test and the download speed clocked in at 2.38 mbps from our SS cabin on the deck 10. On the previous western Caribbean leg, we ranged between 2.5 - 2.75 mbps. But it is still fast enough to upload photos on CC, check mail and surf the web. However, not too sure it would be fast enough to watch a Netflix show. Also, not sure if the streaming service we receive because we’re in a SS has any impact on the bandwidth we have access to.

As a side note I first got involved with the internet when I was in the AF back in 1983 when we had 2400 baud dialup modems that connected to a terminal access control (TAC) and it took just under a second to transmit a character from Ramstein AB in Germany to a server at Maxwell AFB in Alabama. So, I’m easily impressed. 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OK, we have a question about one of the design decisions the powers that be made when they designed the sky suite cabins. The question is simple. Why are there sliding window shutters shielded by glass on one side between the bathroom and the main cabin area? BTW if you’re in the shower and have the shutters open you can see both the main cabin area as well as outside through the sliding glass door. Just can’t figure the cost benefit factor as I’m sure it wasn’t cheap to create this window accessory.

image.jpg

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Why are there sliding window shutters shielded by glass on one side between the bathroom and the main cabin area?

Maybe they hope you will leave it open when you shower or bathe and the air circulation will slow mold build up??

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Maybe they hope you will leave it open when you shower or bathe and the air circulation will slow mold build up??

Good idea. But there is a solid window on the cabin side of the shutters which prevents any air circulation between the two rooms.

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Good idea. But there is a solid window on the cabin side of the shutters which prevents any air circulation between the two rooms.

In a sky suite?  I was sure it was totally open to living area when I was in that suite.

Hi Ken! Will be on Edge B2B in 2 weeks and was wondering if Luminae is using a 14 day menu or 7 day? Also, does the Luminae on Edge have the alternative “3 Classic selections menu”  similar to Blu, for those nights when none of the gourmet selections sound appealing? Thanks! 

3 hours ago, CruisinBanka said:

Hi Ken! Will be on Edge B2B in 2 weeks and was wondering if Luminae is using a 14 day menu or 7 day? Also, does the Luminae on Edge have the alternative “3 Classic selections menu”  similar to Blu, for those nights when none of the gourmet selections sound appealing? Thanks! 

They are on a 7 day cycle as we’re seeing the same menus as on the last cruise. But, yes, they do have the alternate classic selections such as escargot, French onion soup and a few traditional entrees to also choose from.

37 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

2019.  Did they change it to a window or am I imagining it was open?

I also sailed in a sky suite on Edge in 2019.  I think you are imagining that it was open.  There was always a window there.  But as Ken says if you leave the shutters open you can see into the main cabin from the bathroom.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

They are on a 7 day cycle as we’re seeing the same menus as on the last cruise. But, yes, they do have the alternate classic selections such as escargot, French onion soup and a few traditional entrees to also choose from.

Thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

My DW has come up with multiple purposes for the bathroom window which kind of make sense. First, if you open the shutters it allows not only natural light into the bathroom, which is nice, but also allows you to look at the balcony view while your brushing your teeth or washing your hands. From an economic point of view, the infusion of natural light lets you use the bathroom in many cases without having to turn on the light.

Also from a design point of view from the main cabin area, it gives that wall some artistic quality that ties the balcony wall and ceiling characteristics in the cabin together. In other words if we look at it from a positive point of view, it works! 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ken, per my wife’s request, could you let us know what brand of shampoo/conditioner they provide in the Suites? Some scents trigger a migraine for her and wondering if she needs to bring her own or it’s a brand/scent she has experienced in the past. Thanks and keep enjoying!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruisinBanka said:

Ken, per my wife’s request, could you let us know what brand of shampoo/conditioner they provide in the Suites? Some scents trigger a migraine for her and wondering if she needs to bring her own or it’s a brand/scent she has experienced in the past. Thanks and keep enjoying!

Here’s a picture of them.

D84997EF-0340-4515-B61C-9700CFD846FB.jpeg

• Thanks 1