Jump to content

Explorer of the Seas - Johnny Rockets Restaurant


Recommended Posts

It has been several years since I have eaten at JR restaurant on the ship.  If you have eaten there on Explorer, or any other RCI ship, was it WORTH it?  I know there was a charge for some foods, and I guess anything else, there was an extra charge?  Is that still true?  What is the charge to eat at JR now?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back when  Explorer sailed from Bayonne, we would go to Johnny Rockets for lunch on a Sea Day. The waitresses on roller skates were really fun and we enjoyed the milkshakes and onion rings with lunch. Always a fun lunch and worth the $.  
I’m  not sure if it’s different now. But it’s a great memory 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you ALL for your replies.  My son (he is one of the 8 that will be going) and I were talking about JR, and I told him I "thought" there was like a cover charge, etc. to get a few items on the menu, but if wanting more, or additional items, it would cost more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We think it is worth it once a trip. I haven't seen them wearing roller skates. There is  a cover charge, I think $8.95. It includes all you can eat except milkshakes are extra. There is other good free food so not at all necessary to eat there. Explorer has fewer specialty options. Because we don't eat out often when at home we just like to try all of the options when we are on vacation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sianli said:

We think it is worth it once a trip. I haven't seen them wearing roller skates. There is  a cover charge, I think $8.95. It includes all you can eat except milkshakes are extra. There is other good free food so not at all necessary to eat there. Explorer has fewer specialty options. Because we don't eat out often when at home we just like to try all of the options when we are on vacation.

I think it is subjective. There are seasoned cruisers who have written that we pay for amenities on a cruise. Johnny Rockets is a Hamburger emporium. And paying the 10 dollars or so for each person in your party is an added expense since Royal can provide those products for nothing. The more expensive pay emporiums that have proliferated over the years may have more of a worth due to quality of the product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate the feedback on JR, and eating there, and the cost, etc. I know Explorer of the Seas is a smaller ship, and I know we will find plenty of food to eat on the ship, and not necessarily have to eat at a "Specialty" restaurant. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, beshears said:

I appreciate the feedback on JR, and eating there, and the cost, etc. I know Explorer of the Seas is a smaller ship, and I know we will find plenty of food to eat on the ship, and not necessarily have to eat at a "Specialty" restaurant. 🙂

Once onboard take a look at JR's easy to decide then if it's something that's worth it to you.

Enjoy your cruise !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, beshears said:

I appreciate the feedback on JR, and eating there, and the cost, etc. I know Explorer of the Seas is a smaller ship, and I know we will find plenty of food to eat on the ship, and not necessarily have to eat at a "Specialty" restaurant. 🙂

It always strikes me when what was once one of the biggest cruise ships in the world is now consideted a smaller ship. Time does bring changes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oceanboy, when it comes to the "size" of the ship, actually I would prefer a smaller/medium size ship.  "If" it was a larger one going to St. Lucia where I want to go, then I would go on a larger ship. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, beshears said:

Oceanboy, when it comes to the "size" of the ship, actually I would prefer a smaller/medium size ship.  "If" it was a larger one going to St. Lucia where I want to go, then I would go on a larger ship. 🙂

Agree....we also sail for the itinerary not the ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, beshears said:

Oceanboy, when it comes to the "size" of the ship, actually I would prefer a smaller/medium size ship.  "If" it was a larger one going to St. Lucia where I want to go, then I would go on a larger ship. 🙂

My favorite class is still Voyager/Freedom. I feel more relaxed on them. That isn't to say that I don't like the O class. I have two O class cruises booked. One I booked for itinerary and one was a lift & shift that worked for me. The problem, I guess, is there is so much going on and when you mix that with a bit of "fomo" I don't feel as relaxed on those ships. Though I absolutely love the Aqua Theater and the shows there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ate at JR a couple days ago on Indy test sailing.  The price for the food which includes soda fountain drink and dessert was $9.95 per person.  We don't normally eat there on a ship but specialty food and all drinks were 50% off during this sailing.  The tuna melt was amazing.

 

And the sundae

sundae.thumb.jpg.e147d73dd15b97a11fc6d3714beee354.jpg

 

 

We were the only guests at that time so got a private dance

1630095470_20210804_17355037627.thumb.jpg.1275de324d266b3812095b928d035d5f.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, lovelife said:

Just ate at JR a couple days ago on Indy test sailing.  The price for the food which includes soda fountain drink and dessert was $9.95 per person.  We don't normally eat there on a ship but specialty food and all drinks were 50% off during this sailing.  The tuna melt was amazing.

 

And the sundae

sundae.thumb.jpg.e147d73dd15b97a11fc6d3714beee354.jpg

 

 

We were the only guests at that time so got a private dance

1630095470_20210804_17355037627.thumb.jpg.1275de324d266b3812095b928d035d5f.jpg

You're lucky the tuna melt as good.....Some of us poster's on here had a running joke about the worst grilled cheese ever made...How can you mess up a grilled cheese...they did ROYALLY:classic_huh:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You're lucky the tuna melt as good.....Some of us poster's on here had a running joke about the worst grilled cheese ever made...How can you mess up a grilled cheese...they did ROYALLY:classic_huh:

 

Have never tried the grilled cheese.  The tuna melt on sour dough was delish!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for letting me know the "cover charge," at JR is $9.95.  That doesn't sound bad, that is especially if a person is going to eat very much.  This will seem trivial, but it was said the soda came with the cover charge.  What was the brand?  Just curious. 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, beshears said:

Thank you for letting me know the "cover charge," at JR is $9.95.  That doesn't sound bad, that is especially if a person is going to eat very much.  This will seem trivial, but it was said the soda came with the cover charge.  What was the brand?  Just curious. 🙂


Royal has Coke products.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, beshears said:

Thank you for letting me know the "cover charge," at JR is $9.95.  That doesn't sound bad, that is especially if a person is going to eat very much.  This will seem trivial, but it was said the soda came with the cover charge.  What was the brand?  Just curious. 🙂

If soda is included then that is a change from the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...