Jeans in Dining Room for Dinner?

jdlg4silb

Just off Viking Star and we did see jeans at dinner time in the restaurant.

BUT, according to the Viking Daily elegant casual dress code only applies to Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table.

(The Viking App has (casual) added to the restaurant description, forgot to make a screenshot and can’t access app anymore)

image.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Alsun said:

BUT, according to the Viking Daily elegant casual dress code only applies to Manfredi’s and Chef’s Table.

(The Viking App has (casual) added to the restaurant description, forgot to make a screenshot and can’t access app anymore)

image.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

5 hours ago, Alsun said:

Perhaps, Alsun, it is just for the Welcome Back cruise this summer.  I know that on Bermuda cruise, this was not the case.  In fact, if you go right now to the Vicking Ocean Cruises web site, it states the dress code as follows:  (Elegant casual for all dining venues EXCEPT World Cafe).

image.thumb.png.c698d5224289e36068f56437661b7d67.png

I've been absent for awhile.  Nice to see the fashion police are still here.  Found it interesting that  they are now telling you that jeans aren't comfortable attire for touring.  I always thought what is comfortable for one isn't necessarily comfortable for all.  Who knew that I've been wrong all these years!   What's comforting for me is knowing that the fashion police are not vocal on the ship.  (just sitting here behind a keyboard anonymously)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Viking Star Friday night seemed to be a number of people wearing jeans. I assume these were traveling jeans not work wear jeans as their cases had been packed to be taken away

I'm pleased to inform that dinner was excellent despite the choice of trousers.

Also during the cruise  people complied with the dress code for dinner but in my view ( not that it matters to anyone) a number of them looked a lot less elegant than the people in jeans on the Friday

• Like 1

Just got off the Viking Venus 8/23 Malta Cruise and men wore nice jeans in all restaurants, including specialty. When I asked if jeans were now permitted, they replied we have relaxed the dress code during Covid.

Must be up to individual ships and probably could change cruise by cruise. 

I told my husband not to bring jeans so he wasn't very happy with me.

26 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

Just got off the Viking Venus 8/23 Malta Cruise and men wore nice jeans in all restaurants, including specialty. When I asked if jeans were now permitted, they replied we have relaxed the dress code during Covid.

Even prior to Covid, we always bring jeans, which are acceptable everywhere on and off the ship, except the specialty restaurants. We just bring other clothes to wear to dinner. We can manage that with a checked bag and a carry-on each, which we would do for a 10 - 15 day trip no matter what we choose to wear.

Edited by lackcreativity

1 hour ago, CLBSC said:

Why the dress code would be relaxed because of Covid is beyond me. Jeans are jeans no matter what the cost or how you dress them up. Does Covid make it easier to pack jeans than a pair of smart chinos? Hopefully Covid will be behind us before too long and the dress code will return to normal. 😁

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

Why the dress code would be relaxed because of Covid is beyond me. Jeans are jeans no matter what the cost or how you dress them up. Does Covid make it easier to pack jeans than a pair of smart chinos? Hopefully Covid will be behind us before too long and the dress code will return to normal. 😁

I call this the "Covid Excuse".  LOL  I don't care what people wear, but I find it funny that a lot of businesses are using this as an excuse.  Like Hotels not cleaning your room unless you stay more than 3 nights. 

• Like 4

I rarely travel with jeans so it isn't an issue for me.  They are just too heavy and take forever to get dry.  (I usually am an independent traveler and just pack with a carryon.)  Of course, it could be that women have many more options for clothing than men do.

also, when I travel, I like to dress up just slightly more than I would normally do at home.  Which isn't a lot, just I might wear skirts in the summer and nicer slacks in the winter.  

• Like 3

This thread continues to bring back memories.  I grew up in semi-rural Maine, outside of Portland and many would still consider it “the sticks”.  My mother was raised in Montreal and she wore a uniform to school.  We had school clothes and play clothes.  We changed when we got home, but school clothes were not a uniform.  When I was in grade 10 my mother relented and allowed us to wear jeans to school.  I did once but it never felt right.

Move into work life.  I wore jeans to the office on relocation days or stopping by on a weekend to pick up a file, but it never felt right.  I retired two years ago and at that time I was one of the few who always wore a jacket and necktie,  people would often ask if I was going to court that day.

No, I am not a doctor….nor a lawyer 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

This thread continues to bring back memories.  I grew up in semi-rural Maine, outside of Portland and many would still consider it “the sticks”.  My mother was raised in Montreal and she wore a uniform to school.  We had school clothes and play clothes.  We changed when we got home, but school clothes were not a uniform.  When I was in grade 10 my mother relented and allowed us to wear jeans to school.  I did once but it never felt right.

Move into work life.  I wore jeans to the office on relocation days or stopping by on a weekend to pick up a file, but it never felt right.  I retired two years ago and at that time I was one of the few who always wore a jacket and necktie,  people would often ask if I was going to court that day.

No, I am not a doctor….nor a lawyer 

Similar experience as you Dave.   And I grew up in Pasadena (large suburb of LA) - and still did the same 2 sets of clothes.  I do remember at work when "casual" Fridays came about and it did feel a bit strange for sure.

• Like 1

Like many on here I grew up with jeans.  Couldn't wear them to school till later on but was always in them otherwise.  As I grew up and began to travel for work and pleasure I sort of grew out of jeans.  Not size wise but, as several have mentioned, they take up more space, are relatively heavy, and if you get something on them they are done and need washing.  I gravitated to a Travelsmith traveling trousers (which they don't make anymore but other brands have similar) which packed to near nothing, refuses to wrinkle, and most drips of food, etc. wipe off.  If not they rinse and dry quickly.  Also they are more comfortable, have lots of almost invisible and secure pockets and look pretty much like men's dress pants.  Makes  more sense to me.  And as I traveled farther afield I learned that jeans and big white sneakers pretty much identify the American Tourist.  In some muslim countries we have been advised to wear dark trousers with dark shoes so as to "not offend the locals".  Try and find all black Nikes.  Haha, it aint easy but then I won't be the one attracting the suicide bomber....   Ok trying to bring a bit of ridiculous to this old, boring, tiresome thread.  If you want to pack and wear jeans who cares?  I would much rather have someone in the restaurant wearing jeans than their ball caps.  Didn't your Momma teach you to take your hat off in the house?  As much as I love my Crimson Alabama ball cap (Roll Tide!!) I was taught by my Momma, the Boy Scouts, and my teachers to take it off indoors.  To this day I do.  Don't want my Momma getting any bad reports on me.....🍸

• Like 6

" jeans and big white sneakers pretty much identify the American Tourist."

Absolutely true. That and brightly colored Hawaiian shirts, North Face fleece, and wearing caps with either US college or professional sports teams. Or shorts in European cities where shorts are not worn. 

You can stick out like a sore thumb when you don't blend into the dress norm wherever you travel--and in some places that makes you a target for bad things.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Like many on here I grew up with jeans.  Couldn't wear them to school till later on but was always in them otherwise.  As I grew up and began to travel for work and pleasure I sort of grew out of jeans.  Not size wise but, as several have mentioned, they take up more space, are relatively heavy, and if you get something on them they are done and need washing.  I gravitated to a Travelsmith traveling trousers (which they don't make anymore but other brands have similar) which packed to near nothing, refuses to wrinkle, and most drips of food, etc. wipe off.  If not they rinse and dry quickly.  Also they are more comfortable, have lots of almost invisible and secure pockets and look pretty much like men's dress pants.  Makes  more sense to me.  And as I traveled farther afield I learned that jeans and big white sneakers pretty much identify the American Tourist.  In some muslim countries we have been advised to wear dark trousers with dark shoes so as to "not offend the locals".  Try and find all black Nikes.  Haha, it aint easy but then I won't be the one attracting the suicide bomber....   Ok trying to bring a bit of ridiculous to this old, boring, tiresome thread.  If you want to pack and wear jeans who cares?  I would much rather have someone in the restaurant wearing jeans than their ball caps.  Didn't your Momma teach you to take your hat off in the house?  As much as I love my Crimson Alabama ball cap (Roll Tide!!) I was taught by my Momma, the Boy Scouts, and my teachers to take it off indoors.  To this day I do.  Don't want my Momma getting any bad reports on me.....🍸

Absolute great post Jim!   I could totally relate.

That real issue is true - jeans take up lots of space and are hard to wash and dry.  That is one reason I switched for traveling purposes.  As I get older, convenience becomes the biggest importance!  (well, perhaps access to good beers and wines!!) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, broker1217 said:

" jeans and big white sneakers pretty much identify the American Tourist."

Absolutely true. That and brightly colored Hawaiian shirts, North Face fleece, and wearing caps with either US college or professional sports teams. Or shorts in European cities where shorts are not worn. 

You can stick out like a sore thumb when you don't blend into the dress norm wherever you travel--and in some places that makes you a target for bad things.

If my partner didn't wear 'brightly colored Hawaiian shirts' I'd lose him in the crowd. That's all he's worn for the past 35 years! With jeans or Dockers shorts depending on the temp.

He does have a funeral suit for formal funerals and a pair of long Dockers for less formal funerals.

Take him or leave him. But it's def your loss. Clothes don't always make the man.

He wore his casual funeral attire for dinner on the Sky. Lol

Edited by KarNog
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Absolute great post Jim!   I could totally relate.

That real issue is true - jeans take up lots of space and are hard to wash and dry.  That is one reason I switched for traveling purposes.  As I get older, convenience becomes the biggest importance!  (well, perhaps access to good beers and wines!!) 

I thought you don't have to wash jeans all the time.  Some people only wash it once a year.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4