Jump to content

Pre cruise COVID test


Recommended Posts

I plan on getting one prior to leaving home but I highly doubt that it will eliminate the need for one at the port. 

Definitely wouldn't be in the best interest of NCL. 

However, if you have a negative test from home and then test positive at the port it might give more leeway for additional testing before you are denied boarding on the basis of the onsite test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For my cruise just completed, we tested before leaving home (1) because our departure port required it, but also (2) to get a negative test completed while we still had the option to cancel flights, cruise, etc.  Walgreens conducts the tests for free and it was a simple drive-thru process.  Easy peasy!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Birdtravels is on the Encore now with a live thread and has posted extensively about the testing at the Marriott in Seattle.   Review the thread and maybe ask a question.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

For my cruise just completed, we tested before leaving home (1) because our departure port required it, but also (2) to get a negative test completed while we still had the option to cancel flights, cruise, etc.  Walgreens conducts the tests for free and it was a simple drive-thru process.  Easy peasy!

For the present time, at least, NCL is requiring an antigen test just prior to boarding.  IMO, I don't see that changing for the immediate future.  We also had a covid PCR test at home (for free at Kaiser) a few days before boarding just for our own peace of mind (and, as HuliHuli stated, to have the option to cancel before we were at our destination).  NCL will administer a second confirmation test at the port if you test positive before denying boarding.

Edited by NikiPinkston
Add
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going on an MSC cruise on Aug. 27th.  I have a PCR test scheduled for this Friday and then an antigen test scheduled for 8/20.  I am fortunate to work from home, so I am also basically putting myself in quarantine for the last two weeks before my trip.  Just in case.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, goattyer65 said:

We are booked on the encore on 9/11/21

 

csn we get a COVID test at our home instead of having to do it at the port?


Yes, do both!

 

If you do COVID test at home before you travel and test positive you can cancel without penalty and not travel (and spread it to others along your way). 
 

In other cruise thread a family of 4 decided to test and it was found all 4 was positive and had to cancel. The cruise line needed proof of their positive test results so they can give them refunds. 
 

People are still vulnerable when traveling to ship after their negative pre-travel test … the D is another s**t that is now hitting the fan. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:


Yes, do both!

 

If you do COVID test at home before you travel and test positive you can cancel without penalty and not travel (and spread it to others along your way). 
 

In other cruise thread a family of 4 decided to test and it was found all 4 was positive and had to cancel. The cruise line needed proof of their positive test results so they can give them refunds. 
 

People are still vulnerable when traveling to ship after their negative pre-travel test … the D is another s**t that is now hitting the fan. 
 

 

I think that @goattyer65 was asking if you can have a test at home instead of testing at the port, and I believe that answer to that (for now anyway) is No.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just curious about what happens if you test positive once you have flown to catch the ship even though you were negative tested at home a few days before? If confirmed positive, I guess you won't even be able to fly home until you quarantine for a week or two at some hotel that will accept a Covid positive person. 

 

The point I am making is that despite being fully vaccinated, not being able to board the boat might not be the end of your problems on what to do next as a designated positive person even without symptoms.

 

I can't imagine walking into a hotel and staying I am Covid positive and looking for a place to stay for quarantine would be well received by the staff or other guests. 😞

 

Just too much craziness and the risk of getting stuck out of town and treated like a Leper for me to travel now. Hate to admit but I will have to wait.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Onkel_Ken said:

Just curious about what happens if you test positive once you have flown to catch the ship even though you were negative tested at home a few days before? If confirmed positive, I guess you won't even be able to fly home until you quarantine for a week or two at some hotel that will accept a Covid positive person. 

 

The point I am making is that despite being fully vaccinated, not being able to board the boat might not be the end of your problems on what to do next as a designated positive person even without symptoms.

 

I can't imagine walking into a hotel and staying I am Covid positive and looking for a place to stay for quarantine would be well received by the staff or other guests. 😞

 

Just too much craziness and the risk of getting stuck out of town and treated like a Leper for me to travel now. Hate to admit but I will have to wait.

 

 

A couple of lines in the FAQ's in NCL's Sail Safe policy, say that they will assist you with travel arrangements if you test positive ("travel" meaning transportation home/quarantine?):

 

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for you and those traveling with you if they are also denied boarding." 

 

"Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NikiPinkston said:

A couple of lines in the FAQ's in NCL's Sail Safe policy, say that they will assist you with travel arrangements if you test positive ("travel" meaning transportation home/quarantine?):

 

"If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for you and those traveling with you if they are also denied boarding." 

 

"Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the cruise line will coordinate and cover the cost of necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home."

I guess NCL is going to handle this the right way for the guests as long as they confirm that the cruisers had followed all the rules before they arrived at the boat. Thank you for providing this information it was comforting to read! Thanks again!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

For my cruise just completed, we tested before leaving home (1) because our departure port required it, but also (2) to get a negative test completed while we still had the option to cancel flights, cruise, etc.  Walgreens conducts the tests for free and it was a simple drive-thru process.  Easy peasy!


How quick were the Walgreens results?  And could you do a passenger as well as the driver?   Thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, psac said:


How quick were the Walgreens results?  And could you do a passenger as well as the driver?   Thanks!!

We had our results in about an hour and yes, both driver and passenger could be tested.  But, you must schedule your appointment in advance.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a YouTube video of last week's test cruise, the passengers were given wristbands after having a negative test at the Marriott.  I'm thinking no one will be allowed into the cruise terminal for check-in without that wristband, assuming they did the same on the current cruise.

 

I also recently had one of the quick tests at Walgreen's and received the results in 1-2 hours.  The PCR (?) tests take longer.  Will try that next month.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

We had our results in about an hour and yes, both driver and passenger could be tested.  But, you must schedule your appointment in advance.

That was my experience with Walgreen's, too. They do not allow walk-in (or, in this case drive-up) appointments, you must schedule a test online with them and get confirmation via email first. They were great, quick and painless. (and free)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, NikiPinkston said:

For the present time, at least, NCL is requiring an antigen test just prior to boarding.  IMO, I don't see that changing for the immediate future.  We also had a covid PCR test at home (for free at Kaiser) a few days before boarding just for our own peace of mind (and, as HuliHuli stated, to have the option to cancel before we were at our destination).  NCL will administer a second confirmation test at the port if you test positive before denying boarding.

 

How long did the Kaiser test take for the result? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I am going on an MSC cruise on Aug. 27th.  I have a PCR test scheduled for this Friday and then an antigen test scheduled for 8/20.  I am fortunate to work from home, so I am also basically putting myself in quarantine for the last two weeks before my trip.  Just in case.

Good point!  Self quarantine for a couple of weeks, and pretty much guarantee being negative at the port.  Will do that myself!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, goattyer65 said:

We are booked on the encore on 9/11/21

 

csn we get a COVID test at our home instead of having to do it at the port?

No. You have to test negative at the terminal. Doesn’t matter if you passed days before. Need to pass the cruise line test, not a random test at home. The cruise isn’t going to try and vet 10’s of thousands of test centers for doing “good tests”. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

We had our results in about an hour and yes, both driver and passenger could be tested.  But, you must schedule your appointment in advance.


Thanks!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...