Miami Fiasco

wesport

27 minutes ago, wesport said:

Everyone on Serenity is forced to get off ship and go through immigration. Unhappy campers.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. Have seen it before when leaving a foreign port 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wesport said:

Everyone on Serenity is forced to get off ship and go through immigration. Unhappy campers.

I was afraid that might happen.  Since foreign nationals could board in Nassau and the USA doesn't allow transits, and fears uncontrolled entry, the compromise would be no disembarking in Miami mid-cruise.  But the no transit rule has been there forever and nobody compromises anymore.

1 minute ago, wesport said:

Only 2 officers 

I experienced a slowdown in Miami when there was a government shutdown. There were only 3 officers to clear passengers from a Celebrity S Class ship. The Officers made sure to interview EVERY passenger. I was asked "Where I lived?" and what I liked about Boca Raton. I was asked about my watch and my Rotary pin. It took me over 4 hours to be cleared and I was in the Priory line! Cruise lines do not control what happens once a passenger leaves the ship. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

It seems like there should not be too many passengers on this ship that need to be cleared in Miami, but having only two officers must greatly slow down the process.

I must admit that the likelihood of me deciding to cancel my September 18 cruise on this ship is increasing. This cruise is becoming less attractive. If I cancel within the next seven days, I should (in theory) receive a 75% refund. 

Chuck

• Like 2

Surely Crystal knew this would happen and still decided to stop in Miami.  Not happy.  Our cruise starts 8/21 and I'm getting less and less excited.  I do remember officers coming on board to screen, that should have been part of the "deal" with the Port of Miami plan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes and on top of this new guests boarding so not sure how they view the voyage in terms of a mini turn around day.  Remember next week it is a R/T cruise; one of three.

The local port authority can do as they please and the cruise lines are at their mercy.   Hopefully something will be worked out so it doesn't have to be done regularly.  

Keith

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes and on top of this new guests boarding so not sure how they view the voyage in terms of a mini turn around day.  Remember next week it is a R/T cruise; one of three.

The local port authority can do as they please and the cruise lines are at their mercy.   Hopefully something will be worked out so it doesn't have to be done regularly.  

Keith

You are always the voice of reason. Thank you. We all have to be ready for the worst. Then if it does not happen, we feel fortunate. We could have been on the Virgin Sailings. Got to count your blessings. 

• Like 1

Even though there’s a chance of the unvaccinated coming on board, and even though we may stand in line for hours at immigration in MIAMI, and even though there’s a tropical depression heading our way, nothing will stop me from cancelling. (An excerpt from the KAYAK commercial).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You are always the voice of reason. Thank you. We all have to be ready for the worst. Then if it does not happen, we feel fortunate. We could have been on the Virgin Sailings. Got to count your blessings. 

Still will not be as bad as boarding a mega ship. With the small amount the flow should be good. Hope to hear from someone today who started their voyage in Miami . 

We drink so we can dance... 

Justin 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

But we are probably going to wave the white flag on the Bahamas cruise.  Just not worth it to us for such a crummy itinerary complicated by never ending regulatory stress.

Hi, 

I am beginning to feel the same way. This cruise honestly doesn't sound like it is going to be very enjoyable (wearing a mask the entire cruise, constant COVID fears, etc.)

Chuck

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am beginning to feel the same way. This cruise honestly doesn't sound like it is going to be very enjoyable (wearing a mask the entire cruise, constant COVID fears, etc.)

Chuck

I don't think the masking at this time is that bad and I never was worried about Covid on Crystal.  We love Crystal but the pre- and post-cruise parts of cruising are a similar pain if invested in 7 days to a boring destination or 70 days to see half the world.  Throw in the inability to predict what will happen tomorrow or next week and we ask ourselves why?

We have 70+ nights booked on Crystal, mostly in Europe, in 2022.  We are looking forward to those.  We are also booked on WC 2023.

Edited by flyingshoes
  • Like 1

The CBP did this so that everyone one boarding and leaving in Nassau will be used to the 2 hour check in in at Jet Blue or AA when returning home.

So the moral of this is not to board at Nassau or Bimini...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Chuck

Hi.  I just got off the Endeavor in Iceland a few days ago, and loved it so much I am looking at booking another Crystal cruise, as I know it is less crowded on board now.  It would only be my third Crystal cruise, and the first was just  a short crowded one on the Serenity several years ago which was likely unrepresentative, so I am essentially a newbie.

Do you have to wear a mask *everywhere* on board on the Serenity unless eating, (like at shows, iin hallways, doing laundry, waiting for food, walking out on the decks, talking to people) or only when going out for indoor excursions and on buses?  In Iceland on the Endeavor I just got off of, it was the latter, and even there  I really struggled to breathe and got dizzy when it was stuffy for longer periods of masked time. I understand there is a difference, e.g., Iceland has had only 1 Covid death since May and currently has only 16 people in the hospital in the entire country per a public health chart I just looked at , and most cases are either asymptomatic or mild, but the Caribbean has more people and more Covid for authorities to worry about

I would not book a cruise happening soon if I would have to wear a mask even more often than I did on the Endeavor, where it was borderline tolerable (but there the reward, if you could hold out, was spectacular and unusual scenery ).  I have 5 (or 6, depending on if you count my complex autoimmune diseases with ongoing steroid therapy) *statistical* risk factors for doing poorer than most IF I were to get Covid despite being vaxed, but perpetual masking in a warm climate would not be tolerable for me (especially with hours of immigration lines), and I'd rather stay home (it also helps that "home" is at the ocean in CA, but it factors into the risk/benefit calculus).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

3 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

This is bad news. I was hoping to stay aboard the ship in Miami.

Chuck

Very disappointed in having to get off in Miami, wasn't planning on it ! We  leave Wednesday for Nassau. Unfortunately no turning back now.  Hope the cruise is worth it.

I don’t see why the inspectors couldn’t board the ship, as they have done in every other port where this situation occurs, and not force passengers to get off and back on. 

Two inspectors should be plenty for a ship with 500 passengers. It should take an hour. They’re just checking immigration status. For USA citizens it’s simply a show of the passport. 

It seems like this is much more complicated than it should be. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wesport said:

Yes, everyone needs to be off the ship.  Then the ship itself needs to be cleared by port authorities before re-boarding can commence.  Clearing the ship means checking/inspecting inventory lists of everything - bolts and screws and ...  (Talk to the Concierge about his headaches in Miami.)  Miami is known to be onerous and we avoid it like the plague, eeeer, pandemic.

14 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

Hi.  I just got off the Endeavor in Iceland a few days ago, and loved it so much I am looking at booking another Crystal cruise, as I know it is less crowded on board now.  It would only be my third Crystal cruise, and the first was just  a short crowded one on the Serenity several years ago which was likely unrepresentative, so I am essentially a newbie.

Do you have to wear a mask *everywhere* on board on the Serenity unless eating, (like at shows, iin hallways, doing laundry, waiting for food, walking out on the decks, talking to people) or only when going out for indoor excursions and on buses?  In Iceland on the Endeavor I just got off of, it was the latter, and even there  I really struggled to breathe and got dizzy when it was stuffy for longer periods of masked time. I understand there is a difference, e.g., Iceland has had only 1 Covid death since May and currently has only 16 people in the hospital in the entire country per a public health chart I just looked at , and most cases are either asymptomatic or mild, but the Caribbean has more people and more Covid for authorities to worry about

I would not book a cruise happening soon if I would have to wear a mask even more often than I did on the Endeavor, where it was borderline tolerable (but there the reward, if you could hold out, was spectacular and unusual scenery ).  I have 5 (or 6, depending on if you count my complex autoimmune diseases with ongoing steroid therapy) *statistical* risk factors for doing poorer than most IF I were to get Covid despite being vaxed, but perpetual masking in a warm climate would not be tolerable for me (especially with hours of immigration lines), and I'd rather stay home (it also helps that "home" is at the ocean in CA, but it factors into the risk/benefit calculus).

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi, 

At this point, I don't think it is mandatory that passengers wear masks on the Crystal Serenity. However, I think it is a good idea to wear a mask on the ship considering the recent virus trends. I know that some other cruise lines are requiring passengers to wear masks on their ships.   

On July 10, I sailed aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on a seven-day cruise. The cruise was outstanding (only 410 passengers on a 2000 passenger ship) and I had a wonderful time. Everyone on the ship was required to be vaccinated. The crew members wore masks but the passengers did not. However, we were required to wear masks in some of the ports. All of the passengers tested negative at the end of the cruise. I was hoping to have a similar experience on the Crystal Serenity in September, but the virus situation has grown much worse during the past month. The cruise has become much less appealing after I paid for it a few weeks ago. 

Chuck

• Thanks 1

Why was going through immigration a surprise? 🤔. That’s protocol for entrance from a foreign country.  🙄. Miami has been a mess on every Crystal cruise I’ve taken which involved that port.  Even B2B guests must disembark . 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Do passengers have to show a negative Covid test in Miami?

Yes.  Wherever you embark (in this case Miami, Bimini or Nassau) you have to show a negative test and you also have to apply for a Nassau Visa and take a separate test to get the visa.

Keith

19 minutes ago, giustot said:

I don’t see why the inspectors couldn’t board the ship, as they have done in every other port where this situation occurs, and not force passengers to get off and back on. 

Two inspectors should be plenty for a ship with 500 passengers. It should take an hour. They’re just checking immigration status. For USA citizens it’s simply a show of the passport. 

It seems like this is much more complicated than it should be. 

I board Saturday, so we’ll see if it’s the same process next week.