Miami Fiasco

wesport

3 minutes ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

At this point, I don't think it is mandatory that passengers wear masks on the Crystal Serenity. However, I think it is a good idea to wear a mask on the ship considering the recent virus trends. I know that some other cruise lines are requiring passengers to wear masks on their ships.   

On July 10, I sailed aboard the Celebrity Summit out of St. Maarten on a seven-day cruise. The cruise was outstanding (only 410 passengers on a 2000 passenger ship) and I had a wonderful time. Everyone on the ship was required to be vaccinated. The crew members wore masks but the passengers did not. However, we were required to wear masks in some of the ports. All of the passengers tested negative at the end of the cruise. I was hoping to have a similar experience on the Crystal Serenity in September, but the virus situation has grown much worse during the past month. The cruise has become much less appealing after I paid for it a few weeks ago. 

Chuck

Chuck, on all Crystal Vessels the crew is required to wear masks.  The guests need to follow local protocols and inside the ship the wearing of masks for guests is optional.  One thing we have learned with COVID-19 is things are fluid so what is true one day could be different the next day.  For anyone who books a cruise I do believe flexibility is key and that includes not only changes by the cruise line but those made by the local country.

Keith

2 minutes ago, TUCKERTOOTS said:

Why was going through immigration a surprise? 🤔. That’s protocol for entrance from a foreign country.  🙄. Miami has been a mess on every Crystal cruise I’ve taken which involved that port.  Even B2B guests must disembark . 

Hi, 

When I booked (and paid for) the cruise departing from Nassau on September 18, the itinerary didn't include Miami. I intentionally booked a cruise that should have avoided this situation. 

Chuck  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, giustot said:

I don’t see why the inspectors couldn’t board the ship, as they have done in every other port where this situation occurs, and not force passengers to get off and back on. 

Two inspectors should be plenty for a ship with 500 passengers. It should take an hour. They’re just checking immigration status. For USA citizens it’s simply a show of the passport. 

It seems like this is much more complicated than it should be. 

As I said I am not sure whether or not this will be done going forward.  However, having been on many a back to back cruise if the cruise ends in a USA port all guests remaining on board have to go through this and the ship must be at a zero count before the sign off is given.  In other words, if one guest can't be located for awhile everyone else must wait including newly embarking guests.  

Again, because these voyages start and end in different places who knows.

In addition, the crew normally goes through inspection as well.

And two times a year the entire ship can be inspected which takes a lot of time and a report is issued and available for any of us to see showing the results.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

As I said I am not sure whether or not this will be done going forward.  However, having been on many a back to back cruise if the cruise ends in a USA port all guests remaining on board have to go through this and the ship must be at a zero count before the sign off is given.  In other words, if one guest can't be located for awhile everyone else must wait including newly embarking guests.  

Again, because these voyages start and end in different places who knows.

In addition, the crew normally goes through inspection as well.

And two times a yt the crewear the entire ship can be inspected which takes a lot of time and a report is issued and available for any of us to see showing the results.

Keith

Was this the first time this season that the ship stopped in Miami? On the first visit the crew are required to go through Customs and Immigration. There is frequently a "surprise" inspection of the ship that can cause major delays. You are correct about the zero count and a late passenger can delay boarding for new passengers. When I did a B2B on Serenity the C&I inspectors met the B2B passengers in the Theater to complete the process. As I understand sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As you have indicated in an earlier post Crystal is required to follow the procedures of the authorities and cannot be held responsible for whatever happens.

And all these changes are why I booked the July 10 cruise and had an amazing time,  People said the first two cruises would be for guinea pigs.  My philosophy is get going while the going is good.  There are way too many questions as time goes by.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes.  Wherever you embark (in this case Miami, Bimini or Nassau) you have to show a negative test and you also have to apply for a Nassau Visa and take a separate test to get the visa.

Keith

Thanks Keith. I was wondering if the passengers already onboard the Serenity, who for those Bahamas cruises have embarked in Nassau, and now are docking in Miami have to show a Covid test as part of the Migration process in Miami before continuing their cruise. 

Ivi

1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am beginning to feel the same way. This cruise honestly doesn't sound like it is going to be very enjoyable (wearing a mask the entire cruise, constant COVID fears, etc.)

Chuck

We pulled the plug.  Ran the numbers, avoiding travel to/from Miami and other costs almost pays for the penalty after our CFAR claim.  Weighed contracting Covid while waiting for an antigen test with the ill hoard at the local doc-in-a-box.  Stress not worth it for a 7 nighter to the Bahamas particularly now.  Will join Serenity in Istanbul in April, if not before.  Best wishes to all who soldier on.  We will miss the onboard experience.

• Like 1

I'm onboard Serenity now.  Here is what happend this morning...

- We were told yesterday we would be required to preform an in person interview with CBP in the morning, starting at 8am.

- They needed a Zero count of passengers onboard before the USGC could start some of their inspections (since this is the first time Serenity has been back to the US while disembarking/embarking passengers)

- We were told to stay in public spaces starting at 8am and wait for announcements to disembark by group number, which were provided to us the night before.  We were told that if we intended to re-board the ship immediately following the inspection that we should disembark with group 5/6.

- At 8:40am they started the process.

- At 9:30 group 5/6 were called

- Only 2 CBP officers were processing passengers for the in person interview.  We stood in line for about 25 mins

- After the interview, we intended to re-board the ship, so we had to clear security again and we were instructed to wait in the terminal while the USGC finished their inspections.

- At about 10:40am we were back in the bistro having a snack, 2 hours and 40 mins after we left our stateroom. 

This morning was not the most exciting part of our trip.  I don't believe the ship will be required to go through a zero count process every week.  This was required by the USGC to complete their inspections, which would normally be done on a turnaround day, but since this wasn't a normal turnaround, we were required to disembark. 

Besides this morning, everything else onboard has been great.  Service is spectacular, food is as good as we remembered from 2019.  The ship is not full, still under 50% capacity according to some of the crew.  Rumor has it about 50 people joined the ship in Miami today, all of which are vaccinated.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

We were assigned group 1. We ate breakfast at 9 and didn’t leave the ship until 9:45. We were back onboard at 10:30. 
We were advised to wait for the last group if we were coming right back onboard. Excursion passengers left in the first group. 
Please don’t obsess about this. If you have to do it it isn’t that bad. 

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Richk582 said:

I'm onboard Serenity now.  Here is what happend this morning...

- We were told yesterday we would be required to preform an in person interview with CBP in the morning, starting at 8am.

- They needed a Zero count of passengers onboard before the USGC could start some of their inspections (since this is the first time Serenity has been back to the US while disembarking/embarking passengers)

- We were told to stay in public spaces starting at 8am and wait for announcements to disembark by group number, which were provided to us the night before.  We were told that if we intended to re-board the ship immediately following the inspection that we should disembark with group 5/6.

- At 8:40am they started the process.

- At 9:30 group 5/6 were called

- Only 2 CBP officers were processing passengers for the in person interview.  We stood in line for about 25 mins

- After the interview, we intended to re-board the ship, so we had to clear security again and we were instructed to wait in the terminal while the USGC finished their inspections.

- At about 10:40am we were back in the bistro having a snack, 2 hours and 40 mins after we left our stateroom. 

This morning was not the most exciting part of our trip.  I don't believe the ship will be required to go through a zero count process every week.  This was required by the USGC to complete their inspections, which would normally be done on a turnaround day, but since this wasn't a normal turnaround, we were required to disembark. 

Besides this morning, everything else onboard has been great.  Service is spectacular, food is as good as we remembered from 2019.  The ship is not full, still under 50% capacity according to some of the crew.  Rumor has it about 50 people joined the ship in Miami today, all of which are vaccinated.  

Is everyone required to wear green or red bracelets?

5 hours ago, wesport said:

Everyone on Serenity is forced to get off ship and go through immigration. Unhappy campers.

I posted something the day this was announced that all the passengers would likely have to get off, and thus there'd really be little ability to do any touring in Miami, although Crystal posted about all the wonderful things to do in Miami.  Sorry that was correct.

2 hours ago, Orator said:

Was this the first time this season that the ship stopped in Miami? On the first visit the crew are required to go through Customs and Immigration. There is frequently a "surprise" inspection of the ship that can cause major delays. You are correct about the zero count and a late passenger can delay boarding for new passengers. When I did a B2B on Serenity the C&I inspectors met the B2B passengers in the Theater to complete the process. As I understand sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. As you have indicated in an earlier post Crystal is required to follow the procedures of the authorities and cannot be held responsible for whatever happens.

I agree with all you said.

First time ship arrived to a USA port this year including Miami other than when the crew got vaccinated but I would not count that.

I have been on more back to back cruises than I can count involving USA ports.  Let's say 25.  One time we didn't have to get off the ship.  Normally you do and we did this on three back to back cruises in 2018/2019 in Miami.

You are right sometimes they do and sometime they don't but I would say more times than not they do.

And as you say the ship has to follow the rules.

Keith

4 hours ago, bz said:

Surely Crystal knew this would happen and still decided to stop in Miami.  Not happy.  Our cruise starts 8/21 and I'm getting less and less excited.  

Of course they did, as should EVERY PASSENGER, since it's been US immigration procedure for at least my entire adult life.  Also, doing it shoreside is also predictable considering Covid restrictions -- CBP can do their work on their turf with their protocols.

5 hours ago, wesport said:

Only 2 officers 

Weren't there less than a few hundred people boarded in the Bahamas?  That should only get you two officers -- it's determined by the number of passengers to clear on the manifest (at BEST, and goes down from there based on constraints).

Vince

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

I am beginning to feel the same way. This cruise honestly doesn't sound like it is going to be very enjoyable (wearing a mask the entire cruise, constant COVID fears, etc.)

Chuck

Has soMething changed regarding masks on board?

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Yes.  Wherever you embark (in this case Miami, Bimini or Nassau) you have to show a negative test and you also have to apply for a Nassau Visa and take a separate test to get the visa.

Keith

I think she meant do they need to show the test when they get off for this impromptu immigration exercise.

4 hours ago, bz said:

Surely Crystal knew this would happen and still decided to stop in Miami.  Not happy.  Our cruise starts 8/21 and I'm getting less and less excited.  I do remember officers coming on board to screen, that should have been part of the "deal" with the Port of Miami plan.

May I ask if your cruise starts on 8/21 what are you concerned about. Are you on for one or multiple cruises.

If one, your experience will not be impacted by this.  If two and this happens this would be the norm for a back to back cruise in the USA.

Keith

36 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Has soMething changed regarding masks on board?

Hi, 

No, but I always wear a mask when I am forced to be around unvaccinated people. Due to the change in policy that allows unvaccinated people on these cruises, I prefer to wear a mask. 

• Like 1

Keith, we are on for one cruise and this impacts one of the only 7 days and was not a factor when we signed up.  I know things change, but it just seems like so much has changed since we signed on for 7 days visiting the out islands with a totally vaccinated crew & passengers.  The islands we would visited changed several times, now there's a Miami stop to pick up possibly unvacc'd people, now we have to spend what for us was a "sea" day type of day into getting off, being screened, and getting back on, now the Bahamian visa rules have changed.  Some of this is out of Crystal's control, I get it, but this is NOT the cruise we signed up for,although we're still looking forward to experiencing Crystal, just some of the excitement is tempered with concerns.  Not our first rodeo, but certainly one of the more challenging.  We worry what's next, we worry about testing positive, we worry about not having the proper paperwork and being denied either/or the flight and boarding.  We're doing our best, I just don't remember ever being so stressed taking a trip.  Probably we do 6-7 vacations a year, cruises and land trips, and this is the worst one for worries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bz said:

Keith, we are on for one cruise and this impacts one of the only 7 days and was not a factor when we signed up.  I know things change, but it just seems like so much has changed since we signed on for 7 days visiting the out islands with a totally vaccinated crew & passengers.  The islands we would visited changed several times, now there's a Miami stop to pick up possibly unvacc'd people, now we have to spend what for us was a "sea" day type of day into getting off, being screened, and getting back on, now the Bahamian visa rules have changed.  Some of this is out of Crystal's control, I get it, but this is NOT the cruise we signed up for,although we're still looking forward to experiencing Crystal, just some of the excitement is tempered with concerns.  Not our first rodeo, but certainly one of the more challenging.  We worry what's next, we worry about testing positive, we worry about not having the proper paperwork and being denied either/or the flight and boarding.  We're doing our best, I just don't remember ever being so stressed taking a trip.  Probably we do 6-7 vacations a year, cruises and land trips, and this is the worst one for worries.

We feel the exact same way.  Planning for a trip was always a favorite thing to do for me.  I have never gone on a vacation that has had so much pre-trip stress.  I know that once on board, things will be great.  The fear is not making it on board.

• Like 4