Live from Steerage. Onboard Mardi Gras now. Ask us anything.

KmomChicago

2 hours ago, stellarose said:

thanks so much for a great review.  hopefully we sail in December.  looking for a quiet place to chill during the day with a pool.  deck 8?  was there chia seed pudding on the sea day brunch?  guess no plain fries or vegetarian options at street eats. 

Deck 8 aft pool for the first sea day for sure. As the cruise progressed people started to discover it but yes I would say even then it was a better option than those up on the top decks. We never actually put on our swimsuits so my info is what I noticed in passing. 

Chia seed pudding is and was on the Sea Day brunch menu which is the same as shown on the Carnival website and was the same each of the 3 sea days. 

as far as street eats, most dishes had some kind of meat but they’d happily give you nekkid fries or only the toppings you wanted on them. One day green salsa was one of the toppings and they actually asked if I wanted it with everything or which toppings. They’re plating it right there to order. We had that shawarma kebab thing and it really just tasted like falafel but claimed to also have beef. 

Various side dishes were vegetarian however strict vegans might run into a little challenge as I couldn’t always be sure some cream, eggs, butter or something like stock wasn’t hidden in the dishes. You can talk to chefs and pre order in some restaurants for special diets.

I would think they’d be glad to stir fry up a nice pile of veggies and rice or other meatless delicacies. They truly want the guests to be completely satisfied with the dining. They do a good job with lentils. I had it as a side dish in Cucina.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

Thank you for the review and being so gracious to answer everyone's questions.  During your week onboard did carnival make any announcements regarding covid?  How many people may have been affected?  I know that royal has been transparent but it seems that Carnival is not as forth coming and that makes me a little nervous.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, rs45thompson said:

Thank you for the review and being so gracious to answer everyone's questions.  During your week onboard did carnival make any announcements regarding covid?  How many people may have been affected?  I know that royal has been transparent but it seems that Carnival is not as forth coming and that makes me a little nervous.

Thanks for your kind words. I don’t think there were any announcements about this; if so I didn’t hear anything. 

Honestly the last thing I’d want is a big announcement. I think it would cause panic and other problems. I have to believe they are going to get cases and they have a protocol to manage it. I live in a county only 37% vaccinated so I believe I’m still safer on a cruise than at home.

• Like 4

Stuck here at the dated and rundown Orlando International Airport waiting for a flight delayed by at least 3 hours. Yes it’s Frontier so I know people will say that’s the problem but apparently the whole airline industry is in a mess, understaffed and having lots of delays and cancellations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stellarose said:

thanks so much for a great review.  hopefully we sail in December.  looking for a quiet place to chill during the day with a pool.  deck 8?  was there chia seed pudding on the sea day brunch?  guess no plain fries or vegetarian options at street eats. 

You'll sail in December,  quit being a pessimistic Patty.  And you can get your fries at street eats naked,  just ask.  But it seems like the toppings make the fries there, so naked fries at Big Chicken or Guy's would be better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You'll sail in December,  quit being a pessimistic Patty.  And you can get your fries at street eats naked,  just ask.  But it seems like the toppings make the fries there, so naked fries at Big Chicken or Guy's would be better.

Agree, I’d do Big Chicken fries before plain Street Eats fries. Certainly worth checking out what they’re up to each day, though. I think Street Eats is a nicely updated concept executed well. I don’t think the cruise is a vegan paradise. You can manage but you’re excluded from a lot of nummies.

11 hours ago, maryann2 said:

You are not cheap. Possibly frugal like me.

The difference between cheap and frugal.

Frugal is when you think to yourself do you really need this? No problem spending but always wise in not wasting!!

Cheap is when you never pay your way, always expecting or hoping someone else will!!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, amcankid said:

The difference between cheap and frugal.

Frugal is when you think to yourself do you really need this? No problem spending but always wise in not wasting!!

Cheap is when you never pay your way, always expecting or hoping someone else will!!

Thanks, then I’m frugal. 

• Like 2

I just want to say here, thank you very much to those who have taken the time to reply or to add a Like to any of the posts here, mine or any of the responses.  I didn't individually quote and thank each of you, mostly because I was busy "in the room where it happened" actually enjoying my amazing cruise while kinda blogging here from my phone.  

I appreciate you all accepting my endless rambling blathering and my multitude of character flaws.  Having you along on this really special, once in a lifetime cruise experience, made it just that much better. 

The first 36 hours of this one were challenging, to be brutally honest. The stresses of travel to the port and getting settled into an unknown environment are getting a little more challenging with age as sleep patterns are interrupted and tempers are tested. I am not proud of losing mine but it happens.  By Monday morning it felt like the dream vacation we expected.  Make no mistake. This ship is beautiful and as it finds its rhythm it will just get better.  

Carnival is bashed so mercilessly here on Cruise Critic as the Walmart of the Seas and so forth.  I'm the first to say, okay, if you prefer Holland America or Azamara or some other (FABULOUS) competing option, go for it. That's why this industry offers so many choices.

Even so, this ship really demonstrates an evolution for Carnival.  You can enjoy the casual, laid back vibe even as your maturity and means increase and you want something a little (or a lot) nicer and classier.  That applies to the room options, which run an impressive gamut, dining, beverages, spa, etc. Or you can still economize (and sleep great) and be spoiled for choice without ever spending a dime beyond the basic fare, taxes, and gratuities.  It is possible to eke out a nearly unbelievable vacation value for yourself and your family on this ship.

As for the masks and the pandemic and the state of the world and politics and all the rest of the noise, ooooooh sheeeeesh. I hate to go there.  It was hot on the ship but the masks were not a big deal or a big problem. Everyone carried them around all the time, ready to wear as needed. The crew had them on all the time except for entertainers on stage; passengers had them on sometimes and off sometimes. Apparently we had some breakthrough cases onboard but it didn't change anything for us. You know what? It was honestly just WONDERFUL to escape all that for a few days.

Now we're back and watching all the bad news and I really just hate it. Thinking about it is literally awakening my demons right this moment, and I hate those too so I'm going to try to distract myself with laundry and lawn mowing and really anything but that crap.

The cruise was wonderful beyond words, thank you all very much for coming along.

Thank you Chris Williams, the Flying Scotsman. JUST WOW, SIR! 

Thank you Fun Crew, Andy, Connor, Jennifer, Amber, Georgia (I am sorry I know there are more) Playlist and Center Stage Performers, Culinary Staff, Room Attendants, Engineers and Maintenance and Sanitation, Bridge Crew, our brilliant Captain who masterfully avoided a collision course with FRED, those behind the scenes and those at venues we don't bother with (looking at you, Cloud 9). 

Every day, every minute is a blessing beyond words.

Please be kind, be grateful and enjoy.

Thank you Carol. You are with me always. 

Much love, 

Annie

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

I just want to say here, thank you very much to those who have taken the time to reply or to add a Like to any of the posts here, mine or any of the responses.  I didn't individually quote and thank each of you, mostly because I was busy "in the room where it happened" actually enjoying my amazing cruise while kinda blogging here from my phone.  

I appreciate you all accepting my endless rambling blathering and my multitude of character flaws.  Having you along on this really special, once in a lifetime cruise experience, made it just that much better. 

The first 36 hours of this one were challenging, to be brutally honest. The stresses of travel to the port and getting settled into an unknown environment are getting a little more challenging with age as sleep patterns are interrupted and tempers are tested. I am not proud of losing mine but it happens.  By Monday morning it felt like the dream vacation we expected.  Make no mistake. This ship is beautiful and as it finds its rhythm it will just get better.  

Carnival is bashed so mercilessly here on Cruise Critic as the Walmart of the Seas and so forth.  I'm the first to say, okay, if you prefer Holland America or Azamara or some other (FABULOUS) competing option, go for it. That's why this industry offers so many choices.

Even so, this ship really demonstrates an evolution for Carnival.  You can enjoy the casual, laid back vibe even as your maturity and means increase and you want something a little (or a lot) nicer and classier.  That applies to the room options, which run an impressive gamut, dining, beverages, spa, etc. Or you can still economize (and sleep great) and be spoiled for choice without ever spending a dime beyond the basic fare, taxes, and gratuities.  It is possible to eke out a nearly unbelievable vacation value for yourself and your family on this ship.

As for the masks and the pandemic and the state of the world and politics and all the rest of the noise, ooooooh sheeeeesh. I hate to go there.  It was hot on the ship but the masks were not a big deal or a big problem. Everyone carried them around all the time, ready to wear as needed. The crew had them on all the time except for entertainers on stage; passengers had them on sometimes and off sometimes. Apparently we had some breakthrough cases onboard but it didn't change anything for us. You know what? It was honestly just WONDERFUL to escape all that for a few days.

Now we're back and watching all the bad news and I really just hate it. Thinking about it is literally awakening my demons right this moment, and I hate those too so I'm going to try to distract myself with laundry and lawn mowing and really anything but that crap.

The cruise was wonderful beyond words, thank you all very much for coming along.

Thank you Chris Williams, the Flying Scotsman. JUST WOW, SIR! 

Thank you Fun Crew, Andy, Connor, Jennifer, Amber, Georgia (I am sorry I know there are more) Playlist and Center Stage Performers, Culinary Staff, Room Attendants, Engineers and Maintenance and Sanitation, Bridge Crew, our brilliant Captain who masterfully avoided a collision course with FRED, those behind the scenes and those at venues we don't bother with (looking at you, Cloud 9). 

Every day, every minute is a blessing beyond words.

Please be kind, be grateful and enjoy.

Thank you Carol. You are with me always. 

Much love, 

Annie

Fantastic closing cruise review. "The room where it happens" been there 3 times in 3 cities and also fantastic.

So welcome home and plan for your next adventure.

Thank you so much for all your helpful ship information. Now we are prepped for our Mardi Halloween cruise.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:57 PM, KmomChicago said:

Yeah nothing has been scheduled in there for the last couple of days. I need a better pic of the killer ledge. There are actually a LOT of steps up and down all over the place that are gonna have drunks as well as sobers falling and injuring themselves. In the Flamingo restaurant there’s a really stupid step up and all the hosts are constantly reminding everyone going up or down to watch their step, I assume because there have already been a lot of near misses. There are bad steps up into Grand Central on Deck 6 and maybe others I’ve already forgotten.

I will definitely be walking with my head down! I missed a step a few years ago and rolled outward, breaking the fifth metatarsal. Surgery and 6 weeks no weight bearing NOT fun!

Congratulations on your birthday to a fellow Leo! Love the positive attitude. I, too, have developed that as last year between working in a busy hospital laboratory with heavy Covid cases, turning 60(!), amongst other things landed me in my own ER with global amnesia...If I can't look back and make fun what is there, lol. We will be boarding MG Sept 4 ready to experience life aboard however it presents itself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 12:51 PM, KmomChicago said:

For my dad and my aunt’s husband. I will tell them both you all thank them for my service because I know you do.

I am a Vietnam war baby and Dad was in Danang when I was born August 12, 1966. Seriously if it weren’t for that conflict I wouldn’t be here, there, or anywhere. 

53A78345-CCC2-456E-8FE8-37175ECC5C4D.jpeg

Oh...My...Word!... MY birthday is August 12, 1960...No wonder I like your writing style!

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:07 PM, kdr69 said:

Yes thanks for an awesome review.  I felt i was there on the ship with you.  Hopefully you will cruise again some day and we will run into each other.  Take care.

Just came dangerously close to booking something. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Medtech2 said:

I will definitely be walking with my head down! I missed a step a few years ago and rolled outward, breaking the fifth metatarsal. Surgery and 6 weeks no weight bearing NOT fun!

Congratulations on your birthday to a fellow Leo! Love the positive attitude. I, too, have developed that as last year between working in a busy hospital laboratory with heavy Covid cases, turning 60(!), amongst other things landed me in my own ER with global amnesia...If I can't look back and make fun what is there, lol. We will be boarding MG Sept 4 ready to experience life aboard however it presents itself!

Thank you and I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise.  Attitude has an awful lot to do with results and right now it's more important than ever.  Please enjoy and tell us all about it. 🙂

2 hours ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Nope!  And it is a long walk!  

The pedicabs are available for gratuities to take you to and from the Dufry shop. They won't go further than that so you still need to walk its length.

The pier is all flat and you can bring scooters.