CVS Rapid Antigen Test

luv4cruises

I think that the actual cost needs to be made clearer.  The pharmacy websites I read basically say that they'll submit a claim to your insurance but then you're on the hook for any costs they don't cover.  At one point not long ago, the CVS site specifically said that testing for travel was typically not covered by insurance companies.  Now they're basically saying "check with your insurance" because of course some plans do.   Mine doesn't.  $139 is how much you pay CVS if you don't want them to submit it to your insurance company for the insurance company to then say "we don't cover that."

I am not aware of any Federal requirement for free testing for asymptomatic people unless you've had a known exposure.

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Interesting analogy but.......Is a city like Seattle on your list?  Big city right?  A lot of us will be cruising to Alaska and want to stay there in advance.  No rapid testing with easy access except for the airport apparently.  However I can choose to travel to the villages (suburbs) and pay a lot for the trip back and forth.

The Walgreens site gives a number of stores in Seattle offering testing.

11 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

The Walgreens site gives a number of stores in Seattle offering testing.

Yes but a rapid turn-around antigen test?  If I go to the Walgreens site and try to sign up for downtown Seattle- there is no testing available.  And no ability to schedule testing beyond the next two days either.  Unless somebody knows how to schedule a future test.  I need to schedule a test for September.

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes but a rapid turn-around antigen test?  If I go to the Walgreens site and try to sign up for downtown Seattle- there is no testing available.  And no ability to schedule testing beyond the next two days either.  Unless somebody knows how to schedule a future test.  I need to schedule a test for September.

You might also post a question about where to get tested in Seattle over in the West Coast Departures forum. Can’t hurt. Good luck! 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/315-west-coast-departures/

7 minutes ago, jgmorgan said:

Not Walgreens, but Carbon Health Seattle has a centrally located site in downtown Seattle that does travel clearance testing and seems to allow forward looking appointments.  I didn't go through the complete booking steps but it might be worthwhile to check it out.  https://carbonhealth.com/covid-19-travel-clearance-seattle

Thank you.  It looks like there is a site in downtown Seattle that does a 3 hour turnaround test.  And it can be booked in advance.  $195 pp per test.

Generally speaking, and from a little bit of experience, the Rapid Antigen tests are a little tougher to find at the big pharmacy chains.  PCR is much more common.  I'm sure this is geography dependent, but here in OH, we can get a PCR test and get the results in less than 24 hours.

As far as cost, I'm not sure that it's insurance dependent. My understanding (and this is from my GF who is in the healthcare field) is the U.S. Gov't requires all insurances to cover the cost of COVID testing.  If you're uninsured, the U.S. Gov't picks up the tab via Medicaid.  If you're uninsured and have not filed for Medicaid, not sure how that works.  But still, you can get a COVID test and Vaccine for no charge if you're a U.S. Citizen.

Where the insurance companies get you, and where the clinics who are charging for testing is what they're calling a "consultation" fee.  That's a round about way of making even more money from a global pandemic, which I have my own (quite negative) opinion of.  But, seems that's what's happening.

Some of these "clinics" don't want to bother with the expense nor the time it takes to file for reimbursement for testing.  So, they stick the consumer with the cost as a "consultation", if someone questions their tactics.

https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20210303.284998/full/

https://www.hrsa.gov/coviduninsuredclaim/frequently-asked-questions/

But, in Celebrity's case, the two they accept, PCR and Antigen tests, are administered by legitimate pharmacies like CVS and Walgreens.  I know Kroger pharmacies offer them, too.

Rapid Antigen tests around here take 5-6 hours for results.  I get PCR tests and those usually take around 12 hours for results, but that's dependent on the time of day the tests are done.  If they're done in the early a.m., I can have PCR results back by end of day....same for Antigen.

Edited by graphicguy

12 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

My understanding (and this is from my GF who is in the healthcare field) is the U.S. Gov't requires all insurances to cover the cost of COVID testing.  If you're uninsured, the U.S. Gov't picks up the tab via Medicaid.  If you're uninsured and have not filed for Medicaid, not sure how that works.  But still, you can get a COVID test and Vaccine for no charge if you're a U.S. Citizen.

But the caveat is that you have to be showing symptoms or have had an exposure to someone diagnosed as having tested positive for the virus.  Then, yes, that test is free.  Anything else is an elective test (whether it's for travel or return to work or return to school or just because you want to know) and many insurance companies will not cover that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

But the caveat is that you have to be showing symptoms or have had an exposure to someone diagnosed as having tested positive for the virus.  Then, yes, that test is free.  Anything else is an elective test (whether it's for travel or return to work or return to school or just because you want to know) and many insurance companies will not cover that.

What if you went to a crowded event or high COVID area and wanted to be tested afterwards?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I know the times they asked about symptoms before scheduling the test, one of them was if I was feeling tired.  Easy answer...YES!  The other was whether I've been around anyone who could be infected.  I don't know if I have or I haven't.  I error on the side of caution.  So, I answer "yes" to that, too.

I get my tests from my GP, who has said as long as I'm out and about (which I am, finally), he'll test me every day if I want him to.  Never been charged.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I would recommend that we each check with their health care provider as reimbursement requirements may vary.   

I have Kaiser which is a large HMO and they told me if you need a test (even for travel) and can not risk test results taking up to 72 hours you can have the test done at any test site and submit a reimbursement claim. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Florida, as you can imagine, it is getting harder and harder to schedule antigen testing. There are 4 CVS within 2 hours of me that do antigen testing. One is "temporarily closed" the other 3 have no antigen appointments available for any of the 14 days . Just the other day, this was not the case. I figured I'd be able to schedule antigen as a backup if PCR takes too long. Now it may not be a viable option here.

Best of luck to everyone ! May we all be cruising soon 😀

Edited by Smmessineo
  • Like 1

I've not seen anyone ask if covid testing is covered by Medicare . . . from what I've read, it says completely covered and I couldn't find any verbiage mentioning not covering if it's for travel purposes.  My husband and I are very new to Medicare.  We sure hope our CVS antigen test for upcoming travel in September will be covered!  Wonder if we need to "stretch the truth" and say we are feeling tired?

1 hour ago, bmw-atl said:

I've not seen anyone ask if covid testing is covered by Medicare . . . from what I've read, it says completely covered and I couldn't find any verbiage mentioning not covering if it's for travel purposes.  My husband and I are very new to Medicare.  We sure hope our CVS antigen test for upcoming travel in September will be covered!  Wonder if we need to "stretch the truth" and say we are feeling tired?

Just went on Medicare.  Yes, it's covered via Kroger Pharmacy, CVS and Walgreen. My GP says I'm covered, too..  But, from what I'm reading here, there are some places that are charging for the test, regardless of insurance.

I don't doubt there are. I am skeptical about whether they're allowed to charge for COVID tests, though.

1 hour ago, bmw-atl said:

I have Medicare and covered 100% at CVS no matter the reason for testing. 

Just an FYI.  Just got off the phone with Celebrity on line check in.  You can't complete your health questionnaire until 24 hours before sailing.  But, when I log in to do so, it says check in is closed.  Celebrity just said to complete that part when I check in at the pier tomorrow.

Just to get clarification, I asked the rep what type of Covid Vaccine tests proof they'd accept.  Apparently, she gets that question a lot.  She said it had to be a PCR or Antigen test.  More importantly, the proof MUST HAVE..

-Your name

-DOB

-Date of test

-Type of test

and

-The test administrator

All info must match your ID (presumably your Passport)......

I did a dry run at CVS a week before my cruise and so far the results are not in.  Has anyone had experience with the CVS test?  The language on Celebrity's website really does not make it clear if they take specific tests or not.  I have the MC PSS test at CVS specified, is that correct?  I have a backup plan of going to Quest instead.

15 minutes ago, Cruisin_FL_Girl said:

Hi. New cruiser here. I got my test results back today and they were emailed to me. Does anyone know if I can show the digital copy to check in at the port? I do I need to find someone who can print it out for me?

Thanks for any help!

You can show digital copy or print it out if you have a printer.

1 hour ago, beltsbear said:

I did a dry run at CVS a week before my cruise and so far the results are not in.  Has anyone had experience with the CVS test?  The language on Celebrity's website really does not make it clear if they take specific tests or not.  I have the MC PSS test at CVS specified, is that correct?  I have a backup plan of going to Quest instead.

Call CVS and find out why you have not received the results.