The Daily for Thursday August 12, 2021

richwmn

4 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all.    Happy birthday Rich!  

We’ve been to Norway and our neighbors lived in Stavanger.   
Love the Soup, but no tomatoes for us.  

Just want to say I tried to like many posts but CC won’t let me!  

We’re off to a sushi picnic lunch at the lake with the grandkids!   Enjoy the day and stay safe.  Our niece works at a seniors facility and they are in outbreak even though vaccinated.  

I want to stay up for the meteor shower!  My heart photo.

17744A97-9F63-454E-939E-5DB4B26310BE.jpeg

3BA079DB-A9A5-4649-872D-F4FF3017F889.jpeg

Your post reminded me of some people we met from Stavanger.  We had been on the Prinsendam for that Best Norway Cruise ever and I had made a wonderful photo book of the cruise.  The master was Captain D. D. so when we found out he would be the Captain of the Seabourn Antarctica cruise 6 months later we were ecstatic!  I took the photo book with us to the Antarctica cruise and asked him during our Block Party if he would sign the front of the book for me since he played a huge part in the enjoyment of that earlier cruise.  He said he would be delighted to, so he set up dinner that night in the Dining Room and asked a couple from Stavanger whom he also met on the ship that day.  

We had a nice visit at the bar before dinner, and a lovely dinner with great conversation.  This couple said they had never gone to Pulpit Rock before but thought the idea of the fjord cruise was a good one. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLe5OPV96QzUPed-2_DnMJxVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1609464545

Then several years later on a HAL ship we ran into them again on a tender boat.  What a small world!

• Like 25

@Overhead Fred, I have one like that, too.  It is in a tiny corner of one bed in the courtyard, and I can see that I'm going to have to either move it, or everything around it.  

IMG_5836.thumb.JPG.21d45bca351ce35a37b94062db3f23d5.JPG

I also destroyed my tomato plant this morning, it was so unhappy in a (large) pot and I had to water it so often. It should never have been sold as a patio tomato, but instead as one that needed its own acreage!  In its place I have transplanted three cucumbers that DD had in a tiny pot around the side and which the deer had been nipping all the flowers off of.  We had thought that because they had such fuzzy leaves, the deer would leave them alone.  Anyway, they were brought to the courtyard and handed over to me,  they have flowered again in the last couple of days, and the new pot is much larger, so we'll see how they do.  

• Like 23

Good afternoon.  It is warming up with clear skies and no breeze so while it is 92F, the heat index says it feels like 102F.  Hopefuly, the clear skies will last until tonight so we have a chance to see the meteor shower.

I've got the few chores finished, spot watered the yard, and got the mail.  The rest of the afternoon will be inside enjoying the air conditioner.

I can't believe a mis-delivered package took USPS a week to get it about a mile from the wrong mailbox to our mailbox..

@smitty34877  Terry, that is great news that Tana is getting out of the hospital and will get such great care at your house and DD's place.  Her son must be estatic.  👍👋

@rafinmd  Roy, hope the new cardiologist is a good fit. 🤞  I couldn;t help thinking when I read about your morning at rehab -- doesn't the staff look at charts or talk to each other before pushing buttons?

@StLouisCruisers  What a nice story about the two cruises and meeting people later.  It is a small world.  I hope you DS has his power restored soon.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It's a busy day and I'll try to answer but may have to come back later.    It's something of a mixed bag partly because of the class format.  There's a staff of about 8 (half nurses and half exercise physiologists) and it depends somewhat on who I see each day. There hasn't really been a lot of milestone setting and I've been largely a self starter, planning each day's programs.  Yesterday I was mid session and one of the nurses came up and while I was on the treadmill.  My program had included gradually stepping up my treadmill pace to 2.6 mph and gradually increasing grades.  She came up to me mid session and pushed on of the buttons on the treadmill moving me up to a .5% grade. saying "It's time to start you on a little bit of grade".  I told her I was in the process or ramping up to 5 minutes at 1.5% as the session went on"  She was unaware I had done anything on grade although a quick check with her colleagues confirmed that.  Oops!  I was not quite on plan then with a couple extra minutes at 0.5% and a few seconds less at 1.5% since they while they were taking my blood pressure at the point when I would have hit 1.5%.

The person who came by today was more attuned to my progression.  Today was a good day.

I'm not sure how much benefit I'm getting beyond what I get from my own walks but there are at least a few things.  Even walking on my own I'm paying a bit more attention to a warmup and watching for a target heart rate.  I'm pretty much ok with it now.  I would rather be on a ship but thinking not until there's more control of the Delta variant, so I may actually be ok with completing the program.

Tomorrow I see what I hope may be my new Cardiologist.

Roy

Good luck with the potential new cardiologist tomorrow Roy.

They don't sound very organised at your rehab and everything you do should be written down by the staff to check your progress.

At least you seem to know your own progress on the treadmill.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

It's a busy day and I'll try to answer but may have to come back later.    It's something of a mixed bag partly because of the class format.  There's a staff of about 8 (half nurses and half exercise physiologists) and it depends somewhat on who I see each day. There hasn't really been a lot of milestone setting and I've been largely a self starter, planning each day's programs.  Yesterday I was mid session and one of the nurses came up and while I was on the treadmill.  My program had included gradually stepping up my treadmill pace to 2.6 mph and gradually increasing grades.  She came up to me mid session and pushed on of the buttons on the treadmill moving me up to a .5% grade. saying "It's time to start you on a little bit of grade".  I told her I was in the process or ramping up to 5 minutes at 1.5% as the session went on"  She was unaware I had done anything on grade although a quick check with her colleagues confirmed that.  Oops!  I was not quite on plan then with a couple extra minutes at 0.5% and a few seconds less at 1.5% since they while they were taking my blood pressure at the point when I would have hit 1.5%.

The person who came by today was more attuned to my progression.  Today was a good day.

I'm not sure how much benefit I'm getting beyond what I get from my own walks but there are at least a few things.  Even walking on my own I'm paying a bit more attention to a warmup and watching for a target heart rate.  I'm pretty much ok with it now.  I would rather be on a ship but thinking not until there's more control of the Delta variant, so I may actually be ok with completing the program.

Tomorrow I see what I hope may be my new Cardiologist.

Roy

I am not surprised by your self-guided progress. Bravo, Roy!

I know folk in  health related fields have been challenged by the last 18 months, but I am disappointed to read that someone would just push a button without checking your progress-to-date. 

• Like 14

Happy Birthday, Rich!  Also thanks for your perseverance in getting the Daily info posted.  We all so enjoy this friendly, sharing place!  

Great news about Tana being discharged from the hospital!  I know she will receive excellent care, and that will be so great for her son.  Bet his "picky" eating habits will improve with Mom around!

The pictures of Norway, and all the beautiful gardens are so wonderful!  I have always wanted to visit Norway, so will be trying harder to find the right trip. I have also enjoyed today's personal garden pictures.   

I was just offered an upgrade (at a cost) to a Signature or Neptune Suite for my August 21 cruise to Alaska.  I considered for just a half second, and then I decided that I am content with the cabin that I now have.  It is just me, and as one person, I really don't need the extras.  I have never had a verandah before, so this is special for me.  Correct me, if I am wrong, someone?!?!

Tonight is our last "Concert in the Park" so I will be going.  I have enjoyed several this summer, and will miss the Thursday nights with family.  They always end at the start of school, so since Monday was the first day, this is the overdue conclusion of concerts.  Such a fun small town event!

Hope that everyone has a great rest of the day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

@Overhead Fred, I have one like that, too.  It is in a tiny corner of one bed in the courtyard, and I can see that I'm going to have to either move it, or everything around it.  

IMG_5836.thumb.JPG.21d45bca351ce35a37b94062db3f23d5.JPG

I also destroyed my tomato plant this morning, it was so unhappy in a (large) pot and I had to water it so often. It should never have been sold as a patio tomato, but instead as one that needed its own acreage!  In its place I have transplanted three cucumbers that DD had in a tiny pot around the side and which the deer had been nipping all the flowers off of.  We had thought that because they had such fuzzy leaves, the deer would leave them alone.  Anyway, they were brought to the courtyard and handed over to me,  they have flowered again in the last couple of days, and the new pot is much larger, so we'll see how they do.  

I've had success in separating my hostas in the spring, just as they are sprouting new leaves. I've transplanted sections all over my yard, where they happily take root. I have to do it next spring again, because the ones in the front garden seem determined to take over the world!!

• Like 9

Suddenly, there is smoke, the wind has changed and the air is turning a sort of greyish yellow.  We have been lucky all summer, but I guess it had to change sometime.  

And a neighbour just came by to let us know that mutual friends just lost their son and daughter-in-law in an awful traffic accident in the interior of BC.  

Not a good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Suddenly, there is smoke, the wind has changed and the air is turning a sort of greyish yellow.  We have been lucky all summer, but I guess it had to change sometime.  

And a neighbour just came by to let us know that mutual friends just lost their son and daughter-in-law in an awful traffic accident in the interior of BC.  

Not a good day.

I'm sorry for your double loss.

Roy

• Like 10

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I'm sorry for your double loss.

Roy

Thanks Roy.  I guess we should have stayed up last night to watch for the meteors, we won't see might tonight.   But you seem to be doing so well on your rehab and doing it at your pace.

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Not a good day.

I can't like this, but I'm so sorry!

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good. @dfish I’ll take the Tuscan version please!  One of the cutbacks on ship is no paper final bill.  I’ve been watching the statement change on the app.  I have two credits that I’m not sure about.  Based on a conversation with someone on board my best guess is the shops bought us each a meal at Tamarind.  I also got a 1.70 mini fridge charge, we didn’t use.  So far my credit card hasn’t been hit with the final bill.  Interesting that two of three holds expired.  I hope everyone has a good day.

Curious re mini fridge charge--is it for a drink or the fridge itself??

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Not a good day.

What horrible news to hear!  I can't even imagine what they must feel hearing this.  My sympathy to them on their losses.  Also to you as their friend and neighbor. 

In addition I'm sorry about the smoke problem.  I wish things would turn around there with rain and controlling the fires.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Not a good day.

Unfortunate about the smoke. So sad for your and your neighbor's loss of their son and DIL. Prayers for their comfort.

• Like 10

53 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Not a good day.

Oh Ann, how very sad 💔 

my prayers for you to get through this and for your neighbour who had to deliver the news an your friends, their family & son a DIL.  🙏🏻 

Unbelievably sad 😢 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

I've had success in separating my hostas in the spring, just as they are sprouting new leaves. I've transplanted sections all over my yard, where they happily take root. I have to do it next spring again, because the ones in the front garden seem determined to take over the world!!

and it works in the Fall, too 😉   

my back that surrounds the trees are all hostas that were split.  I have a big one to tackle still and I might need help with that one 😉 

• Like 10