Speculation / experiences "last minute" change of embarkation port

suec12

We are due to sail in less than a month, embarking? in Venice. There is some thought that HAL has not yet been able to make a plan for this since Venice has closed down the embarkation facilities used in the past. If HAL would have to change the embarkation port at this time (not just to the nearby industrial port) but to a port maybe several hours a way, any experience with this, or speculation as to how it would be handled? We do not have HAL air and are scheduled to land in Venice about 24 hours before embarkation. I would hope HAL would assist even those that do not have HAL air in the very unusual circumstance. Might a refund be offered? If anyone is aware this problem has been resolved, would love to know - many rumors are afoot. THANKS!

In October 2013 during Hurricane Sandy, Eurodam had to complete its repositioning voyage from Quebec City in Jacksonville FL at the Blount Island container terminal. Debarkation was arranged with buses to JAX, FLL, MIA and PEV. Embarkation for the next voyage was arranged with buses from FLL, MIA and PEV. It was certainly interesting, but HAL figured it out. I am sure they will do it for Eurodam once again. If the ship berths in Marghera, it might be good to stay overnight in Mestri. That will put you a short taxi ride away.

• Like 1

We actually booked a hotel in Mestre as we are only arriving 24 hours ahead of time and have visited Venice several times before - did not want to deal with bridges. There was a rumor at some point that Marghera would be used but a more recent rumor seems to discount that. Fingers crossed! and good to hear that in the past HAL made provisions for all due to a last minute snafu!

We have yet to be able to book flights, and the suggestion has been that Flight Ease is on hold until the port is decided on.  We hope to hear soon.  There has been speculation about where the port might be, Marghera, Trieste, Ravenna, have all been mentioned.  I imagine all the cruise lines are frantically trying to find spaces for their ships!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing to worry about. Go with the flow and hope for the best. 

No matter where your probable alternate boarding is in Italy you will be able to reach it quickly and inexpensively by rail or ferry. 

Simply be prepared to be a little flexible.  At least you may have the advantage of knowing in advance rather that finding out at the last minute.  

I have no doubt that HAL will provide assistance of some sort.  But...until the embarkation port is determined there are really no concrete plans to be made. 

Relax...it might be much more straightforward than you think.

Edited by iancal

21 hours ago, suec12 said:

We are due to sail in less than a month, embarking? in Venice. There is some thought that HAL has not yet been able to make a plan for this since Venice has closed down the embarkation facilities used in the past. If HAL would have to change the embarkation port at this time (not just to the nearby industrial port) but to a port maybe several hours a way, any experience with this, or speculation as to how it would be handled? We do not have HAL air and are scheduled to land in Venice about 24 hours before embarkation. I would hope HAL would assist even those that do not have HAL air in the very unusual circumstance. Might a refund be offered? If anyone is aware this problem has been resolved, would love to know - many rumors are afoot. THANKS!

Please let us know how it all shakes out when you get back.

21 hours ago, suec12 said:

Hal will inform you, by the way the distance from Mestre to Maghera is 2 miles, Taxi 5minutes, or tram 11 minutes..

I am certainly hoping for Maghera - that would be easy but at some point I encountered a rumor that option had not been finalized and may not actually be an option. The info about Flight ease from an earlier poster is a bit concerning! but being as patient as I can and hoping it all falls into place. I would think the fact that we are going to have to be COVID tested at the port may throw an additonal wrench into the already messy situation.

This may be just a clue but MSC Cruises that were initially departing from the Venice port are now departing from Monfalcone that is about 60 miles away.   MSC is running shuttles from The Venice cruise terminal to that departure point.  I can find no information related to HAL at this time.

• Like 1