The Daily for Saturday August 14, 2021

richwmn

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

Rich, you have really outdone yourself.  With that collection of days everyone has to be included.

Today is the family picnic.  Unfortunately, one nephew has elected not to attend because he refuses to get vaccinated and doesn't want anyone hassling him about it.  And, he doesn't want to wear a mask.  Oh, well.

The menu is hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill, German potato salad from the family cookbook, vegetable platter, cucumbers and sour cream, fruit salad, and the regular assortment of chips and dips.  

I've had the wine of the day onboard a BHB and thought it was very good.  Love today's quote and anxiously await a description of the drink of the day.   

Today's meal selection looks and sounds good, but way to carb heavy for me.  Sigh......

https://damndelicious.net/2020/04/04/instant-pot-chicken-alfredo/

Instant-Pot-Chicken-AlfredoIMG_0336.thumb.jpg.a0c0a6ec74662af7027bdb714ee99ac8.jpg

Looks tasty!

• Like 5

It is with great sadness that we are awaiting to disembark. What a great experience to be on a cruise again. The MS Nieuw Amsterdam has a A team crew aboard.

Spending a couple of days in Seattle before heading home. Let’s say we have evacuated from Tropical Storm Fred!

• Like 26

2 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good Saturday morning.  Safe travels to our members leaving Seattle.  What a collection of days.  Something for everyone.  I like the quote.  The meal looks and sounds yummy.

Sorry about your nephew Debbie.

Looks like the storm will pass us.  Cloudy morning but the sun is making it's way.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Acapulco cocktail:

Ingredients
2 ounces white rum
1/2 ounce Triple Sec or Cointreau
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 tsp sugar
1 egg white
Fresh mint and lime wedge for garnish
Instructions
Add rum, triple sec, lime juice, sugar, egg white and a hand full of ice to a cocktail shaker.
Shake vigorously.
Strain into a glass over crushed ice.
Garnish with mint and lime.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 7.18.59 AM.png

Thanks for the information.  Hope you are well these days.

• Like 5

Good morning from a steamy New York!

With so many days to celebrate, I'm choosing to celebrate lakes - especially my favorite, Lake George in upstate NY.  I've been going there since 1961, and finally got back after a 10 year break (cruising!!!) this summer.  The water is crystal clear, and is used for drinking water.

P8100026.thumb.JPG.79b6587dd30132db20f46dba4cf5c47d.JPG

20210719_175230.thumb.jpg.41cb349fbbb4530c818c61a2d7be05cc.jpg

DSCN1253.thumb.JPG.cfc45426cd3ab175ca324d13d966dc57.JPG

Prayers for all in need, hoping for ease to their troubles. I'll have a beer to celebrate all on our happy list. I'm wearing my mask most places to protect myself and others. Looking forward to being on a BHB and hopefully meeting some of our Daily friends in person!!

Laura

• Like 23

This is probably my first and definitely oldest sunrise (I think) photo.  It was taken on the SS Rotterdam on August 14, 1997, my first HAL cruise. I was thinking I had lost the metadata but then realized it was a film camera and there was no such thing.  It was taken after our stop in Ketchikan and before our galley tour on the last sea day so while it was probably sunrise August 14 it might have been sunset August 13.

IMG0010.JPG.f6cb8121f9eab66e61b25250e488

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning, and thank you for the daily report. Today is our fifth day after adopting our 8-1/2 year old rescue Alaskan Malamute.

Two months ago we put down our Alaskan Malamute, Juno, at 13 years two months. She brought joy to our family for over five years. But Samson will assume her position in our family. The best tribute to losing a rescue dog is to adopt another.

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

While I have generally have other dog breeds (and mixes thereof) I love Malamutes. One of my neighbors had one and when she was unable to care for it, Honey Bear moved in with me. She was so much fun, so sweet, so smart and so much hair!!!! I miss her. When I drove at night no one ever event thought about messing with my car.

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich, and the great selection of days! I choose Daughter Day -- while I don't have a daughter, I am blessed with a wonderful, loving DDIL! My son sure knew what he was doing!

Black Opal is my go-to brand during the cooler months. They make a merlot-shiraz blend that works very well with everything, and you can't beat the price point!

Glad report that the shingles are making me itchy but no real pain. It could be a lot worse, so I'm blessed!

Graham - thanks for your pictures of the Lake District. They are on my short list of places to see when travel is back to normal.

Have a great day and stay well!

Edi

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning. It won't be quite as warm today, low 90s, at some point the wind will change direction and the cooling effect of the Pacific will bring this latest heat wave to an end, the days are a bit shorter now so that helps, but we won't feel the effects of the cool down until late in the evening.  Because of that I went out early and ran my errands: the bank, and Home Depot to have extra keys made for the pet sitter while we're gone. 

@kazu Jacqui, I laughed out loud at the retirement meme, that's always been my justification for doing all my traveling before retirement.  Also, sorry about your friend with the brain bleed, I hadn't heard, I'm sorry, can't always get to the daily, I try my best.

@aliaschief Thanks for bringing the BHB back to us, she's looking beautiful as always on the marina cam.  Sorry your cruise has ended, and hope you have a good time in Seattle; also, please take the heat back with you to Florida 🙂

@dfish sorry about your nephew's decision

@Cruising-along Have a great time, what a lovely day for a picnic, hopefully the temps won't be as high up there.

Have a great day everybody!

• Like 17

👍Thank you Rich @richwmn for The Daily and the varied collection of days and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

I'm just not sure if we'll ever visit the Mariana Islands but after reading about the area, it would be a good Jeopardy question. (I'm addicted to that show!)

🙏Prayers to all in need and the first quote that came into my head was the one posted below. Enjoy your family picnic @dfish.

😷 Katie

20210814_080145.png

20210814_080124.jpg

• Like 20

6 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Have a great time, what a lovely day for a picnic, hopefully the temps won't be as high up there.

Surprisingly, Lynden has had some hot days.  Hotter than here in Lake Stevens.  They're going for a high of 87 today, 84 here.  I think it was 92 there yesterday, 89 here. I know it's hotter  where you live (you're in the oven of western WA!) Looking forward to cooler weather too. 

Oh, she said it's smoky up there too 😞  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Surprisingly, Lynden has had some hot days.  Hotter than here in Lake Stevens.  They're going for a high of 87 today, 84 here.  I think it was 92 there yesterday, 89 here. I know it's hotter  where you live (you're in the oven of western WA!) Looking forward to cooler weather too. 

Oh, she said it's smoky up there too 😞  

Our part of Issaquah is 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the weather prediction for Issaquah, probably because our neighborhood bakes in the sun all day.   Yes, the smoke is terrible, our mountain view is looking a bit obscured, I think it's supposed to improve tonight.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Good morning, and thank you for the daily report. Today is our fifth day after adopting our 8-1/2 year old rescue Alaskan Malamute.

Two months ago we put down our Alaskan Malamute, Juno, at 13 years two months. She brought joy to our family for over five years. But Samson will assume her position in our family. The best tribute to losing a rescue dog is to adopt another.

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

Sending hugs - never easy to have a family pet cross that Rainbow Bridge.  They enrich our lives so much, and love so unconditionally....betting that Juno has already sent vibes to Samson that he has landed in a very special forever home. 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

It is with great sadness that we are awaiting to disembark. What a great experience to be on a cruise again. The MS Nieuw Amsterdam has a A team crew aboard.

Spending a couple of days in Seattle before heading home. Let’s say we have evacuated from Tropical Storm Fred!

Enjoy Seattle and safe travels home!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

Prayers to all on our prayer list, dear SIL was admitted to hospice yesterday for her final journey.  

May it be one of peace.

Hospice truly is a blessing; I still recall how caring the hospice nurses were when my Dad entered a few years ago.  It's never easy, but it helps know that last hours are not of pain.

• Like 15

3 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

0226191939.jpg

0811211543a.jpg

Sorry to hear of the loss of Samson 💔 

Bless you for rescuing Juno ♥️ Senior dogs have a hard time finding a forever home and it is so nice that Juno finally has one ♥️ 

• Like 15

Morning all. Another bright and sunny day. I have turned our sprinklers on.... maybe that will bring rain.

Temps are not too bad, low 80's and nights are very comfortable in the low 50's. I certainly can't complain. We did have a bit of a fire scare the other day. Dry lightning started a small fire on the west side of town. Normally it would have been monitored and allowed to burn out but since we are so dry they decided to hit it with everything they could. It was in a bad place in on ridge line where it could easily drop into the canyon and make a run toward town. So foot crews, planes and helicopters went after it and it is now out. The bill for fighting it will be about $180,000. Yipe!!!!

My day will be spent working on clearing another closet (hopefully I will have another load for the Thrift Store before the close this afternoon) and doing some rug cleaning. Also need to mop the floors which is not a favorite activity. Not a terribly exciting day. I envy those headed for Alaska. My Sister called me last night and she and family are off to the beach for a couple of weeks - they rent a rather run down house which they love. It is in an area of expensive homes and they know its days are numbered as the owner is elderly and talks about selling.   I would rather Alaska.

Dream on everyone... the cruises will be coming.

Susan

• Like 20

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Our part of Issaquah is 2 to 3 degrees warmer than the weather prediction for Issaquah, probably because our neighborhood bakes in the sun all day.   Yes, the smoke is terrible, our mountain view is looking a bit obscured, I think it's supposed to improve tonight.

Our niece lives in Issaquah and our DSIL's parents live in Bellevue -- always hotter than here.  DD and DSIL live in Kenmore, always hotter than here too (as is Seattle usually).  But we get more rain LOL.

• Like 6

Good morning, Happy Saturday, another day to stay home and let others get out and do their thing.  Happy to see Eurodam in Piraeus, waiting to board a lot of people!  On their roll call, someone said the ship should be around 45% of capacity.  Should be interesting.  

Lots of small lakes around here, but mainly salt water - the sea is around us on three sides.  When we have visitors that is usually the drive we take them on - all around the waterfront.  

Reading the care and celebrations lists is always very thought provoking.  Rich and Roy and the drinks and dinner ladies always do such a good job, don't they?!

It was dreadfully hot last night, I didn't sleep well.  Yesterday evening I was supposed to go to a stamp club meeting (the first "real" one since the pandemic started) and I couldn't bring myself to go, it was so hot I was worn out from doing nothing.  Actually, not doing nothing, we did errands in the morning, and in the afternoon I made applesauce to freeze, from a big bag of apples DS brought me.   I need to make jam from his blackberries and raspberries, but I'm out of Certo, so I just froze them all.  The figs we will eat!  I got beautiful fresh corn from the farm stand near us, which we had for dinner with DD's slow cooker layered enchilada dish, so indigestion also made it difficult to sleep!   Definitely taking it easy today.  It's supposed to be another hot one, but seems fairly pleasant right now.  But still no rain.....

• Like 21

33 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Our niece lives in Issaquah and our DSIL's parents live in Bellevue -- always hotter than here.  DD and DSIL live in Kenmore, always hotter than here too (as is Seattle usually).  But we get more rain LOL.

I believe it.  Issaquah averages 53 inches of rain per year to Seattle's 37, it'll often be bone dry in Seattle and Bellevue while it's pouring in Issaquah.  I told my cousin who lives in Texas to never look at Seattle's weather to see what it's doing where we live, usually it won't be correct. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Good morning and thanks all!  So many days,  I have always been fascinated but the Navajo Code talkers and will celebrate  lakes today.  

some of my favourites 

1F5274A2-F91D-4A49-8CF7-5D40BF069866.jpeg

31A9DA1A-46D2-44B2-9B1A-C593B0AA82FB.jpeg

C7185E6D-8733-45EB-9451-74DADDC74741.jpeg

0CC837E3-31D8-468B-B95A-1AEFA66C598F.jpeg

2FA2BBC7-B5AD-483D-88F0-76358190521A.jpeg

9FCAD871-22F0-44D4-B120-3E7694CB84FD.jpeg

7E25AD9A-A9FE-4D92-BE1D-E70AE581A395.jpeg

and my Favourite view of Medicine Lake in Jasper National Park. 

3CB26C69-271E-465F-A1C8-AA37C2F6975D.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

We'll celebrate Deer Bay Lake today and look forward to getting back to our cottage in early September for a few weeks. Let's hope for a "normal" summer next year!

From August 2002 at Beachwood Resort -

View of the north end of the lake and its many islands

DSC00168.thumb.JPG.5e31fb1a7838cfcd6f9e4bb07f26a281.JPG

The south end of the lake; our cottage is about a mile south of the resort on the west shore. The lake is roughly 3 miles long and 1 mile across with a 4 mile long arm ("The Reach") that stretches west to the town of Buckhorn. To the east lies Lovesick Lake. The Trent-Severn waterway runs through the northern end of the lake. We are between Lock 31 (Buckhorn) and Lock 30 (Lovesick). 

DSC00171.thumb.JPG.7ae88381e13f78c37f3598f62c2918c1.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 17

6 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Wow on the collection of days.  I think by the time of tomorrow's daily passengers may have started boarding the Eurodam.  I've never been to the Northern Mariana Islands.  Great quote by Euripides.  The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, Prime Rib of Beef  au jus, and Baked Alaska, what might have been my final dinner on the Grand Dame, August 14, 1997.

Today’s care list:

RIP Frederick Fire Captaiin Josh Laird, Last Alarm 8/11/21
Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires    
Mr Boston’s DSIL with aggressive abdominal cancer
NextOne with shingles
Copeland and Brenda with breakthrough Covid
From the rotation:
Kazu’s friend recovering from a brain bleed
Cruisin single awaiting mamogram clarification

Celebrations and Shoutouts

Bon Voyage Boytje
Front Line Health Care Workers
Welcome homeAliaschief, bobpatj, and Copper10_8
Debbie off to Michigan
 Ger_77's family visit
CruisingAlong weekend family visit
TiogaCruiser celebrating a year of retirement
Eurodam ramping up for service.
USANA Class of 2025 finishing poebe summer
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

@rafinmd Roy, , Firefighter Laird is getting a solemn procession and send off here in the DMV. May he Rest In Peace 🙏

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning to all. There are so many days to celebrate today. Lakes are just delightful  and so refreshing.Daughters' day is everyday here.I was on a bowling  league for a few years and managed to at least bowl my average and not disgrace the team.

It is still quite warm here but we managed another night with our "patient ".let me just say that nurses sometimes  don't  make the best patients 😉

It is a learning curve for all of us.

Miss Camilla and a pretty New Hampshire lake

5162.jpeg

4902.jpeg

@smitty34877It looks like peaceful and beautiful Miss Camilla is off her oxygen. How wonderful 🤩

• Like 10

Good morning everyone. Thanks Rich and all who so diligently bring us joy and information. I love the photo of Camilla. It brings a peace to me. So many wonderful days to celebrate today. I have received several alerts of unhealthy air on a level that effects everyone. I guess I will find a book and turn on the ac, pour a glass of wine and just stay inside today. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1