The Daily for Monday August 16, 2021

richwmn

Good morning from central Texas where it is cloudy.  Our rain yesterday dropped our highs for a day or so.

I have never been good at telling jokes, and I'm not fond of roller coasters.  True love is great, and DH and I will celebrate our 54th anniversary in September.  I was a child bride, young enough that my DF had to go with us to get the marriage license.

In 2018 when we were in Hong Kong, we decided to go to Disneyland where we had a great time.  We'd enjoyed the Star Wars ride years before at WDW, so decided to do the one in HK that day.  It was too late to bail out when we realized it was a completely different ride.  Let’s just say it was Space Mountain on steroids.  DH says the difference was it was totally dark.  I wouldn't know as I had my eyes closed from the top of the first drop until we slowed and leveled out.  I was also leaning on DH and holding on for dear life, but I made it and I didn’t scream.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  Instead, dinner will be part of the sausage we grilled last week and froze along with the remainder of the roasted potatoes and onions from Saturday. 

It's been years since we've had a Mai Tai, which would be good on a BHB.  The best place to have one is at the patio bar at the Royal Hawaiian watching the sunset behind Diamondhead.

We have not been to today's port. @tjcox9 Thank you for the great pictures.

@grapau27 Graham, lovely wedding picture.

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to your niece.

@dfish Debbie, safe travels today.

My mask and I are off to the store before it gets crowded.

Lenda 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from central Texas where it is cloudy.  Our rain yesterday dropped our highs for a day or so.

I have never been good at telling jokes, and I'm not fond of roller coasters.  True love is great, and DH and I will celebrate our 54th anniversary in September.  I was a child bride, young enough that my DF had to go with us to get the marriage license.

In 2018 when we were in Hong Kong, we decided to go to Disneyland where we had a great time.  We'd enjoyed the Star Wars ride years before at WDW, so decided to do the one in HK that day.  It was too late to bail out when we realized it was a completely different ride.  Let’s just say it was Space Mountain on steroids.  DH says the difference was it was totally dark.  I wouldn't know as I had my eyes closed from the top of the first drop until we slowed and leveled out.  I was also leaning on DH and holding on for dear life, but I made it and I didn’t scream.

We'll pass on the meal and the wine.  Instead, dinner will be part of the sausage we grilled last week and froze along with the remainder of the roasted potatoes and onions from Saturday. 

It's been years since we've had a Mai Tai, which would be good on a BHB.  The best place to have one is at the patio bar at the Royal Hawaiian watching the sunset behind Diamondhead.

We have not been to today's port. @tjcox9 Thank you for the great pictures.

@grapau27 Graham, lovely wedding picture.

@Mr. Boston Happy Birthday to your niece.

@dfish Debbie, safe travels today.

My mask and I are off to the store before it gets crowded.

Lenda 

Thank you Lenda.

I remember Space mountain at Disneyland Paris.

One ride on there aged me about 10 years.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Good  morning to  everyone. It is  a  lovely  day  here  with  a  nice  breeze.  DH  and  I  will  happily  celebrate  true love  forever  day  and  I  love  rollercoasters. As  far  as  I  know  the  Dragoncoaster still  rolls in  Rye  Playland. I  remember  great  rides    on  that  wooden  coaster. I  have  been  known  to  mess  up  jokes  in  spite  of  my  efforts. It  is  an  art.

Today  we  are  meeting  with  the  company  representative  that  prepared  our  tax  return. Something  is  not  right  and  we  hope  we  get  answers. Such  fun!

@grapau27, I  love  your  wedding  picture and  your  pictures  that  arrive every  day. It  is  always  a  very positive point  in  the  day. Thanks!

@kazu, As  usual, your  jokes  and  memes made  me  laugh  and  are  much  appreciated.

I  made  a  spinach  lasagna  this  morning  which  will  cover  all  categories  in  this  household. The  youngest  person  here  has  been  less "picky"  of  late and  has  even  made  himself  the  family  dishwasher. Yes,   miracles  do  happen! The  Visiting  Nurse  came  earlier  today  to  see  our  patient and  said  she  saw  progress.  I  felt  so  much  better!  Our  Tana  is  struggling  with  her  inability  to  do  as  much  as  she  would  like. It  has  to  be  hard  to  come  to  terms  with  things.

Terry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Debbie that meal looks delicious. Thank you @cat shepardfor the wine descriptions.  I've never been able to tell a joke correctly.   My roller Coaster days are over.  And my true love forever is my family. DH and I celebrated 55 years in May.

I like the Frost quote.

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Happy Birthday to @Mr. Boston niece.

Safe travels Debbie.  @grapau27Wonderful pictures.  Great looking couple.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mai Tai:

Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron is often credited with inventing the drink at his Trader Vic’s bar in the 1940s, though it’s likely that Donn Beach laid the groundwork for the famous recipe during the 1930s at his Don the Beachcomber bar. The original Trader Vic’s recipe featured Jamaica’s J. Wray & Nephew rum. Once Bergeron ran out of his supply, he moved to blending rums in an attempt to create a similar flavor profile.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounce orange curaçao
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orgeat
1/2 ounce dark rum
Steps
Add the white rum, curaçao, lime juice and orgeat into a shaker with crushed ice and shake lightly (about 3 seconds).
Pour into a double rocks glass.
Float the dark rum over the top.
Garnish with a lime wheel and mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 8.42.52 AM.png

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  everyone. It is  a  lovely  day  here  with  a  nice  breeze.  DH  and  I  will  happily  celebrate  true love  forever  day  and  I  love  rollercoasters. As  far  as  I  know  the  Dragoncoaster still  rolls in  Rye  Playland. I  remember  great  rides    on  that  wooden  coaster. I  have  been  known  to  mess  up  jokes  in  spite  of  my  efforts. It  is  an  art.

Today  we  are  meeting  with  the  company  representative  that  prepared  our  tax  return. Something  is  not  right  and  we  hope  we  get  answers. Such  fun!

@grapau27, I  love  your  wedding  picture and  your  pictures  that  arrive every  day. It  is  always  a  very positive point  in  the  day. Thanks!

@kazu, As  usual, your  jokes  and  memes made  me  laugh  and  are  much  appreciated.

I  made  a  spinach  lasagna  this  morning  which  will  cover  all  categories  in  this  household. The  youngest  person  here  has  been  less "picky"  of  late and  has  even  made  himself  the  family  dishwasher. Yes,   miracles  do  happen! The  Visiting  Nurse  came  earlier  today  to  see  our  patient and  said  she  saw  progress.  I  felt  so  much  better!  Our  Tana  is  struggling  with  her  inability  to  do  as  much  as  she  would  like. It  has  to  be  hard  to  come  to  terms  with  things.

Terry

Thank you so much Terry.

I'm pleased to hear Tana is making progress and it really must be hard for Tana to come to terms with things but she has a loving family looking after her which will help her enormously.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy.  Debbie that meal looks delicious. Thank you @cat shepardfor the wine descriptions.  I've never been able to tell a joke correctly.   My roller Coaster days are over.  And my true love forever is my family. DH and I celebrated 55 years in May.

I like the Frost quote.

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Happy Birthday to @Mr. Boston niece.

Safe travels Debbie.  @grapau27Wonderful pictures.  Great looking couple.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mai Tai:

Victor “Trader Vic” Bergeron is often credited with inventing the drink at his Trader Vic’s bar in the 1940s, though it’s likely that Donn Beach laid the groundwork for the famous recipe during the 1930s at his Don the Beachcomber bar. The original Trader Vic’s recipe featured Jamaica’s J. Wray & Nephew rum. Once Bergeron ran out of his supply, he moved to blending rums in an attempt to create a similar flavor profile.

Ingredients
1 1/2 ounces white rum
3/4 ounce orange curaçao
3/4 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1/2 ounce orgeat
1/2 ounce dark rum
Steps
Add the white rum, curaçao, lime juice and orgeat into a shaker with crushed ice and shake lightly (about 3 seconds).
Pour into a double rocks glass.
Float the dark rum over the top.
Garnish with a lime wheel and mint sprig.

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 8.42.52 AM.png

Thank you summer slope.

Nice drink you have created.

Graham.

• Like 5

Good Morning Everyone from a very overcast day at the beach.

Been missing the past week. Went up to Massachusetts to spend time with my SIL. The stone was just put on my brothers grave and she wanted me to see it. We then went up to New Hampshire to a cottage she has rented for 42 years. She wanted to go but did not want to go alone so we went with her.  A lot of laughs and a lot of tears but it was good.

A lot to catch up on after I do all the laundry etc.

Off to water aerobics. Hopefully will get it in before the rain.

• Like 23

Good morning. Thank you for this wonderful thread. Thanks to Rich and all who contribute. 

I enjoy roller coasters. Although the side to side jerky motions make me queasy.

Prayers for all of our friends on Roy's list. 

We are joining friends tonight for a birthday dinner. I do not believe it will be sausage related. I always order the onion soup. So delicious. Maybe scallops.. 

Praying for residents of Haiti and for those in Afghanistan. A tragedy.

Will toast to all on our celebratory list. Thank you Roy for being so faithful to our Daily.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists. 

It's hard to believe that school has started already. Growing up in NJ , school started a few days after labor day. Here in FL it starts the second week in August. When I retired and moved here it took about a year for me to want to be doing something. So I got myself certified as a substitute teacher. It gives me something to do and gets me out of the house. The nice thing is that I work when I feel like it. Right now it seems too soon to go bsck to school so I will wait a while before I accept any assignments.

Jim

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 16

Good morning.  It's a cloudy morning here as we get ready for some rain later today, tonight and all day tomorrow.  It has been a very wet year here.  I wish some of it could have been directed to our west coast and its drought areas.  The gloom of the day matches my mood so I'm glad to see some jokes and memes to help brighten the day.  I echo @Seasick Sailor's thoughts on those in Haiti and Afghanistan.  Prayers for all on the Care list especially Brenda.  Also @kazu's BFF's DH as he fights the infection in his head wound.  And for Tana as she learns how to deal with her health issues.  Cheers for those celebrating something today and congrats to @smitty34877as she celebrates the new dishwasher person at her house.  Yes, miracles do happen!

I'm not sure I would care for today's menu suggestion so I will try Roy's selection.  @grapau27thanks for showing us the great photos of you and Pauline as you near your 40th anniversary.  Your wedding was only weeks after Charles and Diana's.  We all remember that day well.  Welcome home Debbie @dfishfrom your family weekend in Michigan.  Safe drive!  

I haven't been to New Caledonia yet but would like to.  Thank you @tjcox9for the photos of your visit there.  It looks like a nice place.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Mentioning wooden roller coasters brought up another memory. When I first moved to Atlanta The Great Southeastern Fair and Exposition was still an annual thing.  The main attraction was "The Greyhound", a long wooden roller coaster that was fixed up each year so it would pass inspection. It was a great ride. It was featured in all the Smokey  & The Bandit movies, being destroyed in the third.

• Like 19

Good morning all!

I missed yesterday, so will have to catch up on the news today.  We had such a great time over the weekend at my sister's, it was wonderful to get the family together!  Now I have 2 days to prepare for our son's visit.  He's driving an RV up from Pasadena and will spend a few days with us. We wish DDIL could come too, but she's in FL on business right now (one reason our son is taking some vacation time and driving up the coast).  We will see them in December, so all's good. 🙂  

I'm terrible at telling jokes, hate roller coasters (speed and the feel of falling and jerking around don't sit well with me!) and my true love and I will celebrate our 52nd anniversary on the Eurodam next month. 🙂  We have the Pinnacle booked for that night and it will be a sea day.

No thanks to the meal, the wine and drink both sound good, and haven't been to the port -- it was on the itinerary for the first cruise  Covid-cancelled in April of 2020.  Maybe some day.

• Like 21

My contribution to the national joke day is an old one:

Two women, one younger and one older were discussing their exercise routine.  The younger one went on and on about how far she ran each morning, how many sit-ups and crunches she did each day, and so forth.  The older lady replied, well, when I was growing up exercise was considered to be important, but as I aged it became less important each year, and finally at my age, it has become a dirty word.  Don't worry, anytime I mention exercise now, I simply wash my mouth out with chocolate.

• Like 18
  • Haha 10

Good morning, all, and thanks to all the Dailyites!  I am sorry to see the Care List getting longer and the Celebrations are falling behind, but I hope for some improvements over time.   Lovely pictures as usual, Graham, and the others who posted about Noumea - it was on our itinerary for next Spring from Auckland, but the cruise was cancelled, unfortunately.

I have never been on a roller coaster and I'm not planning to change that at my age.  I'm not much of a jokester, Pat enjoys telling them;  I hate to say it, but it seems to me that he tells the same ones over and over!   I might get sausages out for dinner, and Pat does love curry, so you never know....

There is the possibility of some showers here today, and it is looking rather dreary.  We can but hope!  At least our third heatwave of the summer is over.  Today is kind of Decision Day for us, we have to commit in the next couple of days to taking our booked cruise on the Eurodam in October.   We really, really want to do it, the only drawback is flying to Venice.  More and more flights in Canada are reporting cases of Covid.  We will feel better about it when the requirement for vaccinations kicks in.  

Happy Monday, everyone!

• Like 25

Yesterday I posted on the daily and it must have got lost in cyber space.

We had a fantastic private wine tour with Taylor Tasting Tours. We had the owner Don as our driver and wine expert. Highly recommend if your a wine enthusiast.

Today we are taking the ferry over to Brainbridge and just walk around and maybe lunch.

Tomorrow we tour Mount Rainier and area than fly home We’d.

Keeping attuned to weather as our home is being visited by Tropical Storm Fred today and our car is exposed at airport. That’s why we have those high premium insurance policies. Oh well.

Thanks for the Daily and contributions from the guest editors.

• Like 29

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is National Tell a Joke Day, National Roller Coaster Day, and True Love Forever Day

A person will sometimes devote all his life to the development of one part of his body - the wishbone. - Robert Frost

Meal suggestion for today - The Hirshon Australian Curried Sausages

Drink of the Day - Mai Tai (In honor of National Rum Day)

Wine of the day - Chateau Ste Michelle Ch

Good morning and thank you for the Daily and the Care list and Celebratory lists! Thanks for all the news. I'm checking the new thread each morning now and am happy for some good news (mostly) and beautiful pictures and dreams of far away places. Very best wishes to those on the Care list and a celebratory shout-out to those on the celebration list. Wishing for peace in our world and an end to this malevolent virus.

I've never told a good joke in my life (without ruining it!) and don't really like roller coasters. DH does, so I dutifully go with him..........but it's been a long time since we've been in an amusement park. Missing our beloved Disneyland, hoping to go again some day.

Got my true love right here, DH and I are coming up on our 39th anniversary in under 2 weeks, we'll be celebrating that the day after disembarking our Nieuw Amsterdam Alaska cruise (fingers crossed, really sweating the test we'll take on Wednesday--will it be negative, will results arrive before we fly to Seattle?). My DB (demon brother) and DSIL, with whom we'll be sailing, are celebrating their 45th anniversary (the day before we sail) AND my brother's 70th birthday and my 65th birthday (both in September), DSIL's 64th birthday (last month) and DH's 64th birthday (on our anniversary), so we'll be having a very festive time if all occurs as planned. 

Love me a good Mai Tai (with Malibu rum, I'm a lightweight), and love Chateau St Michelle, although I'm more of a Riesling gal. Funny, I like the reds, but never really developed a taste for a lot of the whites. But we opened a bottle of Chateau St Michelle Riesling last night, used part in the shrimp scampi and drank the rest........a very nice Sunday meal.

Looking forward to the pictures of the port of the day, have never visited.

Best wishes to everyone.

• Like 21

Yesterday’s wine tour also gave us some highlighted Seattle sites and beauty. Went by Hal Hdqs., Amazon etc. However , Snoqualmie Falls which higher than Niagara. We had a beautiful lunch at the nearby lodge.

image.thumb.jpeg.011638060ba153bbf1210eaf3db320f2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cce932dc2ddbf6f045c0496e12f6597d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.dbbf5637ce0b405f624a3ee417e86fbd.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda.

I remember Space mountain at Disneyland Paris.

One ride on there aged me about 10 years.

Graham.

When we got off that ride in Hong Kong, my legs were shaking so much I had to find the nearest bench and sit until they stopped shaking.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

The  Visiting  Nurse  came  earlier  today  to  see  our  patient and  said  she  saw  progress.  I  felt  so  much  better! 

That is really good news 👍 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimgev said:

When I retired and moved here it took about a year for me to want to be doing something. So I got myself certified as a substitute teacher.

Well done!  Substitute teachers are very valuable 👍 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

Growing up in San Diego,  riding a roller coaster in Belmont Park comes to mind.😉

We've been to New Caledonia twice... both times on 🚢HAL (Transpacific from the West Coast) with Australia as our destination.

Seems like Mai Tai's always taste better in Maui.🍹  🙏Prayers for all in need and to the people in Afghanistan fleeing.🙏😞

Katie....love jokes and Minions!

New-Caledonia-Maps-1.jpg

tumblr_m7p4so0PQT1qbxnzho1_500.gif

• Like 20
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Yesterday’s wine tour also gave us some highlighted Seattle sites and beauty. Went by Hal Hdqs., Amazon etc. However , Snoqualmie Falls which higher than Niagara. We had a beautiful lunch at the nearby lodge.

Snoqualmie Falls is where our son proposed to our DDIL 🙂  

For future reference, if you get back again, many of the locals here prefer to go to Columbia Valley for wine tours.  

• Like 4