Jump to content

Captain Kate


somat
 Share

Recommended Posts

Was curious if the prior Captain  ( kafetzsis..  botched his name) ..who was with  EDGE from launch woukd return.  We had sailed with him twice on EDGE..he is our fav Master,.. very engaged, had great talk sessions......have not sailed with Cap Kate yet but she seems quite popular. 

 

Is there a list of Caps and ships?. We are.sailing Reflection next

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cot427 said:

Captain Kate was on the Edge for a large portion of the shutdown for cruises, I'm pretty sure she said she didn't leave the ship for a year or so. Anyway, she is a great asset to Celebrity. A fantastic captain and a genuine good person. She is most likely taking her well-deserved 2-3 months vacation and will return afterwards. 

 

To grandgeezer and LouChamp - why make those types of comments? Simply move along and don't say anything. 

Whoa there partner...telling people to shut up and move on is crossing the line. Perhaps ignoring their posts if you don't like what they say would work better.

 

Not everyone is a Kate cheerleader.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, travelwide said:

Whoa there partner...telling people to shut up and move on is crossing the line. Perhaps ignoring their posts if you don't like what they say would work better.

 

Not everyone is a Kate cheerleader.

 

where on earth do you see "shut up" in that post?  You don't, talk about out of context!!  🤐

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, given the opportunity to have dinner with Richard Fain and Captain Kate….I’d choose Captain Kate….every time.

 

Just curious, those who are Captain Kate detractors, what has she done that caused the “not a fan of hers” comments?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Personally, given the opportunity to have dinner with Richard Fain and Captain Kate….I’d choose Captain Kate….every time.

 

Just curious, those who are Captain Kate detractors, what has she done that caused the “not a fan of hers” comments?

I think she is great for the brand.  Any cruise you walk back on shore is a success in my boat.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

I think she is great for the brand.  Any cruise you walk back on shore is a success in my boat.

 

I agree.  Have sailed her ship 2x.  Both times she was always around, informative and engaging.  She's probably the best brand ambassador Celebrity could ever hope for.  If I were a part of Celebrity's board, I'd make certain she was very well compensated and secure in whatever roll she would want.

 

I've sailed a lot of cruise lines on a lot of ships, and she was/is head and shoulders above any Captain I've ever seen or heard from.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, travelwide said:

Whoa there partner...telling people to shut up and move on is crossing the line. Perhaps ignoring their posts if you don't like what they say would work better.

 

Not everyone is a Kate cheerleader.

 

LOLOL...but this thread is about Capt Kate!!!  Hysterical!

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Why would anyone care who the Captain is? Little impact.

Actually, can be of far more impact than you might imagine, but not necessarily in the manner you might think.

 

The demeanor of the captain, specifically with regard to his/her approach to crew matters and their welfare can change the entire tenor of a ship.  Not that we've ever had a bad X cruise with respect to service, but there have been certain ships at certain times where it was apparent that the crew felt more appreciated and were truly happy to be working for a particular captain. 

 

Granted, there are a few layers of management in between, but a caring captain's wishes are clearly communicated to those that report to him, and as the captain, has the discretion to directly support and encourage the crew in a myriad of ways.

 

When the crew is really happy, it shows clearly on the customer-facing side of things, and the captain has a lot to do with that.

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To my knowledge the regular schedule of most Captains is 12 weeks on followed by 12 vacation.  On her Instagram it shows her packing up to leave on vacation.  

 

We had the pleasure of sailing with her a few years back.  She was delightful.  We were on the same bus as her and a few crew members in St. Thomas.  They were on their way to a local jewellery store and she was going to help the young man pick out an engagement ring for his special lady.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, LouChamp said:

does it really matter 

If I were looking at 2 sailings at a similar price, I would sail with Captain Kate, regarless of the itinerary. She really is an asset to any ship she is on. We enjoyed her company on the Equinox. Always smiling, always engaging.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, grandgeezer said:

Her popularity must be waning, according to a recent post, the occupancy for the last several cruises was les than 33%. I can't believe that number is anywhere near the number they were shooting for.

I guess you have never sailed with her.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 11:51 AM, travelwide said:

Whoa there partner...telling people to shut up and move on is crossing the line. Perhaps ignoring their posts if you don't like what they say would work better.

 

Not everyone is a Kate cheerleader.

 

Who is not a Kate cheerleader? Do you know of anyone who has interacted with her that is not a fan?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

Who is not a Kate cheerleader? Do you know of anyone who has interacted with her that is not a fan?

 

 

Just taking a wild guess here...

Some males of a certain age / generation / culture who believe women should be seen (barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen), uneducated, and not heard.  

 

 

 

 

Edited by EatonDoolittle
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, EatonDoolittle said:

 

 

Just taking a wild guess here...

Some males of a certain age / generation / culture who believe women should be seen (barefoot, and in the kitchen), uneducated, and not heard.  

 

 

 

 

LOL! Now THAT is politically incorrect. What happened to "woke"??

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 12:24 PM, oskidunker said:

Why would anyone care who the Captain is? Little impact.

 

Because she actually comes down to the decks and is sociable with the guests. In 40+ cruises on 4 different lines, she's the only captain that has ever greeted us on embarkation and disembarkation. That's why people care. Just sayin...

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/13/2021 at 1:38 PM, Gatordad1967 said:

Agreed.  Didn't know they scheduled the Captain based on occupancy.

 

I don't think they do. The point was that her presence on ship doesn't automatically mean a big increase in passengers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

If I were looking at 2 sailings at a similar price, I would sail with Captain Kate, regarless of the itinerary. She really is an asset to any ship she is on. We enjoyed her company on the Equinox. Always smiling, always engaging.

I have sailed with Captain Kate, and while I agree that she’s very personable (and professional) I wouldn’t choose a cruise solely based on her presence. I thought Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis was equally personable and professional, and many have said the same about his brother, whom I hope to meet on my upcoming Equinox cruise. I tend to book cruises at least several months out, so it’s impossible to predict who will be Master by the time I board. If Captain Kate is Master of my upcoming Edge cruise, I’ll be delighted. If not, I expect to be happy with the alternate captain.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 7:16 AM, cot427 said:

Captain Kate was on the Edge for a large portion of the shutdown for cruises, I'm pretty sure she said she didn't leave the ship for a year or so. Anyway, she is a great asset to Celebrity. A fantastic captain and a genuine good person. She is most likely taking her well-deserved 2-3 months vacation and will return afterwards. 

 

To grandgeezer and LouChamp - why make those types of comments? Simply move along and don't say anything. 

Just who are you to tell someone not to comment on a comment based board? It might be a surprise to you but their are people who have different opinions than yours. Get used to it, if you don't like it, ignore it. Not everybody is a Celebrity lemming, blindly following them and thinking everything they say, or do, is the gospel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EatonDoolittle, you make me laugh.

We have never sailed with Captain Kate and we would love to meet her.  A personable Captain makes for a happy ship.  I am always impressed by women who do a competent job in an occupation I couldn't even dream of.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, canderson said:

Actually, can be of far more impact than you might imagine, but not necessarily in the manner you might think.

 

The demeanor of the captain, specifically with regard to his/her approach to crew matters and their welfare can change the entire tenor of a ship.  Not that we've ever had a bad X cruise with respect to service, but there have been certain ships at certain times where it was apparent that the crew felt more appreciated and were truly happy to be working for a particular captain. 

 

Granted, there are a few layers of management in between, but a caring captain's wishes are clearly communicated to those that report to him, and as the captain, has the discretion to directly support and encourage the crew in a myriad of ways.

 

When the crew is really happy, it shows clearly on the customer-facing side of things, and the captain has a lot to do with that.

Good point.  I know those who work for her all speak well of her and are more anxious to follow her leadership.  Plus, she does set the tone by being the kind of leader others want to follow.  

 

Not sure why others don't care for her.  Moreover, I don't care, either.  But, if you ever get the chance to sail on her ship and get the chance to interface with her, you'd have no choice than to come away impressed.

 

I've betting those who demean or denigrate her, have never met her.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyway, to confirm what we've been expecting, the wonderful, amazing, intelligent, iconic Captain Kate McCue will be departing the Edge this Saturday, 9/18 per her recent social media posts. She stated that via Instagram and then on TikTok, she stated her vacation on land will be for 3 months. Would expect her back around Christmas, give or take a few weeks. 

 

-Kindly, Kate's blind lemming 😉

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...