Captain Kate

somat

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Just who are you to tell someone not to comment on a comment based board? It might be a surprise to you but their are people who have different opinions than yours. Get used to it, if you don't like it, ignore it. Not everybody is a Celebrity lemming, blindly following them and thinking everything they say, or do, is the gospel.

“if you don’t like it…”. Perhaps you should follow your own advice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Just taking a wild guess here...

Some males of a certain age / generation / culture who believe women should be seen (barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen), uneducated, and not heard.  

ouch.  what a comment.

I will offer a funny reply that perhaps since she has a cat with no hair. perhaps DOG lovers would not be a fan of hers.   Much nicer comment than above

3 minutes ago, The_Mac said:

Perhpas people equate her and her cat to Dr Evil?

one MILION dollars!

I have to say, we did a bridge tour with Bugnaked. A very photogenic cat. He was the focus of the tour! No one was looking at the instruments!

5 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Just taking a wild guess here...

Some males of a certain age / generation / culture who believe women should be seen (barefoot, and in the kitchen), uneducated, and not heard.  

LOL! Now THAT is politically incorrect. What happened to "woke"??

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

ouch.  what a comment.

I will offer a funny reply that perhaps since she has a cat with no hair. perhaps DOG lovers would not be a fan of hers.   Much nicer comment than above

She has a cat so her life is puurrrfect. If she was a dog person, life can be pretty RUFF

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

She has a cat so her life is puurrrfect. If she was a dog person, life can be pretty RUFF

nice comment and funny.   I think her cat has two different color eyes.  At least it seemed like it.

And she has a baby buggy for it two.

Captain Johnny on Harmony of the Seas has a parrot or at least he did.  Can you imagine if RCG decides to swap around captains between the two lines and these two ended up.. hmmm wondering who would have to leave their pet home.   He is the darling captain of RCI

On 9/14/2021 at 12:22 PM, graphicguy said:

Personally, given the opportunity to have dinner with Richard Fain and Captain Kate….I’d choose Captain Kate….every time.

Just curious, those who are Captain Kate detractors, what has she done that caused the “not a fan of hers” comments?

She is a woman......a very very successful woman.....with a huge fan following.....a captain, a female that has coveted a percieved male dominated job and is excellent at it.....THAT my friend, is a little hard for some resident Cruise Critic fuddy duddys to swallow. So they will belittle her and say everything. But those who have the pleasure of knowing this fascinating human being, know.🙂 PERIOD.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

OK let's go back to post#1.  Back on Aug 18th, the OP @somat simply asked if Captain Kate would be on Edge the week of 9/25.  Now we have 60 posts with a lot of comments that do anything but address this simple question.  IMO mods should just close the thread.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

IMO mods should just close the thread.

Well, I agree. I normally do not bother with these pro/con Capt. Kate threads. I've met her, like her, and my opinion is the only one I care about. 

This time, I couldn't help myself, as the same posters jump on the negative bandwagon each time the topic comes up. Someone else also noticed, so I tried to add a bit of humor.

Surprise, that offended some. I give up! 🤐

• Like 1

Did y'all see her instagram posts last spring, when she wore a mermaid tail at the private island (before cruising resumed)? Fantastic. We had a trivia quiz all about her cat Bug Naked on the Edge's first sailing in June... @captainkatemccue

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

Did y'all see her instagram posts last spring, when she wore a mermaid tail at the private island (before cruising resumed)? Fantastic. We had a trivia quiz all about her cat Bug Naked on the Edge's first sailing in June... @captainkatemccue

I liked the one where she saved a seagull that was stuck on the front deck area.

She took a towel and picked it up and carried further forward and gently put it up where it could try and fly.  She was so respectful to that bird

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I liked the one where she saved a seagull that was stuck on the front deck area.

She took a towel and picked it up and carried further forward and gently put it up where it could try and fly.  She was so respectful to that bird

I saw one recently with an owl!  I cannot imagine seeing that on a ship.  Never had the pleasure of meeting or sailing with her but she is the reason I signed up for TikTok.  Just my $0.02

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:16 AM, cot427 said:

Captain Kate was on the Edge for a large portion of the shutdown for cruises, I'm pretty sure she said she didn't leave the ship for a year or so. Anyway, she is a great asset to Celebrity. A fantastic captain and a genuine good person. She is most likely taking her well-deserved 2-3 months vacation and will return afterwards. 

To grandgeezer and LouChamp - why make those types of comments? Simply move along and don't say anything. 

On the last cruise I had with her as the Captain, she said once the shutdown happened the crew on the EDGE went from ~1,200 down to less than 100, her being one of them.  Plus, she was in charge of keeping the ship in shape and ready to sail on short notice.  I believe she said she was on board something like ~320 straight days at one point.  She ended up knowing exactly how many dials and buttons were on the bridge, as well as how many plants there were throughout the ship.

I don't know if her husband was allowed on board since he worked for a different company (he's a Chief Engineer on a ship), but they were apart for a while.

That said, she also showed us pics of her cabin (if you can call it a cabin).  It's directly off the bridge with a door to the bridge, which she said she always keeps open so she can hear an alarm and be close to read if there is an issue.

She's got some really nice digs, complete with daily cleaning and room service, any food that is offered to the guests, and complete laundry service at her disposal.  Then again, she never really leaves work.

On my cruise she was always around.  She'd pop up in the Buffet, around the shops, at the entertainment venues, sometimes at disembarkations once ported.

I can't imagine they would assign her to anything but the newest, best ships Celebrity has.  That means either back on the EDGE or on to the APEX.

Edited by graphicguy

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I can't imagine they would assign her to anything but the newest, best ships Celebrity has.  That means either back on the EDGE or on to the APEX.

And do not forget about the new Celebrity Beyond coming out in either late 2022 or early 2023

• Like 1

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Or Beyond 😁

21 hours ago, Chanbre said:

I wonder whether some of the contributors to this thread would appreciate this Instagram post from Captain Kate.

Epic.👍

17 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And do not forget about the new Celebrity Beyond coming out in either late 2022 or early 2023

The 1st Beyond cruise is being sold for April 2022.

I'm booked on June 13rd, it better be coming out on time, with Captain Kate at the helm 😉

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, dani negreanu said:

The 1st Beyond cruise is being sold for April 2022.

I'm booked on June 13rd, it better be coming out on time, with Captain Kate at the helm 😉

I will find out for my trip April 2023.  who knows by then she might be the CEO of Celebrity.  ha ha

• Like 1

Back to the original question...yes, Captain Kate left Edge this past Saturday, 9/18.  We were lucky enough to sail with her last week...met her in the OceanView and she could not have been nicer.  My friend and I brought a little gift for her and Bug.  Two days later, we received a lovely thank you note and some chocolate truffles from her.  She is a class act!  She told us in her talk on Friday that she was going home to Vegas on Saturday to begin some renovations on her home.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2021 at 3:00 PM, grandgeezer said:

Her popularity must be waning, according to a recent post, the occupancy for the last several cruises was les than 33%. I can't believe that number is anywhere near the number they were shooting for.

Maybe it has more to do with the ship. Those balcony rooms don't entice me and I think I would feel left out because I can't afford a suite. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 10:02 AM, LouChamp said:

does it really matter 

In the long run it doesn't matter but you have been a CC member long enough to know that there are Captain, Cruise Director, and Entertainment groupies who will book a cruise based on who is on board. 9 times out of 10 I don't know who any of these people are until I run into them on the ship. The one time I might know before hand is if I read it on CC or join the roll call or FB group. It never made a difference on any of my sailings in the past 30 years. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2