Jump to content

Edge Price Drop!


Recommended Posts

Have to admit that I'm confused by Celebrity's marketing strategy.  You have "Always Included" and "Sail Only".  Now it appears that on the same cruise it's either one or the other.  You don't see "Always Included" and "Sail Only" in the pricing models on the same cruise.  It appears that most short cruises are "Sail Only" which I can only assume is because statistically on short cruise people drink more and they will increase revenues by not offering the "Always Included" options.  Am I barking up the right tree here?  

Personally, I see it as a big mistake to not offer either option on all cruises.  Some people just don't drink or drink very little and couldn't give a hoot if they can walk around with their phones checking their E-Mail continuously.   Will they move on to other cruise lines that provide a less non inclusive fare at a more competitive price.   

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Searanger said:

Have to admit that I'm confused by Celebrity's marketing strategy.  You have "Always Included" and "Sail Only".  Now it appears that on the same cruise it's either one or the other.  You don't see "Always Included" and "Sail Only" in the pricing models on the same cruise.  It appears that most short cruises are "Sail Only" which I can only assume is because statistically on short cruise people drink more and they will increase revenues by not offering the "Always Included" options.  Am I barking up the right tree here?  

Personally, I see it as a big mistake to not offer either option on all cruises.  Some people just don't drink or drink very little and couldn't give a hoot if they can walk around with their phones checking their E-Mail continuously.   Will they move on to other cruise lines that provide a less non inclusive fare at a more competitive price.   

 

 

 

 

Not sure where you're seeing this or if you have your results filtered by Cruise Only rates, but the Always Included rate is available on every sailing, even on the short Caribbean cruises. Cruise Only/Guarantee rates however may not be available. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We looked at some Edge rates for October and the Cruise Only  price difference was $191 pp on a Sky Suite.  The daily gratuity is $19 so that is $133 pp on a 7 night cruise.  The real savings is $58 pp. Not a bargain since you give up $600 OBC, Premium Beverage package and stream wi-fi

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We looked at some Edge rates for October and the Cruise Only  price difference was $191 pp on a Sky Suite.  The daily gratuity is $19 so that is $133 pp on a 7 night cruise.  The real savings is $58 pp. Not a bargain since you give up $600 OBC, Premium Beverage package and stream wi-fi

 

Although these rates are offered on suites, suite guests aren't the target. These fares are for bargain/bottom dollar cruisers and those don't want any inclusions (primarily alcohol) who will choose that fare even at a $200 savings over an Always Included fare. People who are persuaded to book over a $200-300 savings are not typical suite guests. 

 

Suites as a whole continue to be the fastest booked category. As long as that holds true there is really little reason for them to adjust pricing to make Cruise Only rates favorable on suite bookings.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

Although these rates are offered on suites, suite guests aren't the target. These fares are for bargain/bottom dollar cruisers and those don't want any inclusions (primarily alcohol) who will choose that fare even at a $200 savings over an Always Included fare. People who are persuaded to book over a $200-300 savings are not typical suite guests. 

 

Suites as a whole continue to be the fastest booked category. As long as that holds true there is really little reason for them to adjust pricing to make Cruise Only rates favorable on suite bookings.

I Am willing to book at a $200 - $300 savings ONLY if it is AI, otherwise I do not see it as a 'real' savings once we start adding the various components we always book.

 

Cheers and bon voyage

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Searanger said:

.  It appears that most short cruises are "Sail Only" which I can only assume is because statistically on short cruise people drink more and they will increase revenues by not offering the "Always Included" options.  Am I barking up the right tree here?  

 

 

 

 

 You are barking up the right tree.  We have done some shorter cruises and we called them "booze cruises".    There was more drinking than usual and the cruisers did not appear to be the typical Celebrity clientele.  Younger crowd.  

 

One of us basically drinks water and a couple of virgin drinks on our cruises.  They are making money on this  classic/premium beverage package.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Annoyingly, the advertised prices on the main site are "cruise only" fares so its difficult to quickly see if the price of the AI has actually dropped with out going through most of the booking process.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

Although these rates are offered on suites, suite guests aren't the target. These fares are for bargain/bottom dollar cruisers and those don't want any inclusions (primarily alcohol) who will choose that fare even at a $200 savings over an Always Included fare. People who are persuaded to book over a $200-300 savings are not typical suite guests. 

 

Suites as a whole continue to be the fastest booked category. As long as that holds true there is really little reason for them to adjust pricing to make Cruise Only rates favorable on suite bookings.

 I agreed with you suite guests may not be the target however there are often lower categories with minimal or no difference in the AI vs Cruise Only.  

Here is the OV pricing for the same cruise in my SS example.  Price difference is $6.92F16DEA-1A78-48A8-83B5-F047A1FD6CCC.thumb.png.7067d02fb59477aa209801b6b3131a82.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

 I agreed with you suite guests may not be the target however there are often lower categories with minimal or no difference in the AI vs Cruise Only.  

Here is the OV pricing for the same cruise in my SS example.  Price difference is $6.92F16DEA-1A78-48A8-83B5-F047A1FD6CCC.thumb.png.7067d02fb59477aa209801b6b3131a82.png

The question is, are you paying $.89 per day for the tips drink package and we-fi, or are the Simply Sail people are paying an extra couple of hundred dollars to subsidize that?? Keep i mind, the tips alone are $15+ p.p. per day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

 I agreed with you suite guests may not be the target however there are often lower categories with minimal or no difference in the AI vs Cruise Only.  

Here is the OV pricing for the same cruise in my SS example.  Price difference is $6.92F16DEA-1A78-48A8-83B5-F047A1FD6CCC.thumb.png.7067d02fb59477aa209801b6b3131a82.png

 

Sorry to say, but your comparison is not really valid - the cruise only rate is for an OV guarantee and the inclusive rate is for OV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, pastis said:

 

Sorry to say, but your comparison is not really valid - the cruise only rate is for an OV guarantee and the inclusive rate is for OV.

Why isn't it valid?   Cruise only rates are all guaranteed cabins.  So in my comparison  you can $1015pp and select your OV  cabin and get the drinks, wi-fi and daily gratuities or pay $1009 pp. plus $98 for the daily gratuities and  let the computer select your OV cabin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Why isn't it valid?   Cruise only rates are all guaranteed cabins.  So in my comparison  you can $1015pp and select your OV  cabin and get the drinks, wi-fi and daily gratuities or pay $1009 pp. plus $98 for the daily gratuities and  let the computer select your OV cabin.

Yes...let the computer pick your cabin right across from the "freight" elevator that is used by the staff for room service, maintenance etc.  Trust me, it does not make for a pleasant cruise. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

Although these rates are offered on suites, suite guests aren't the target. These fares are for bargain/bottom dollar cruisers and those don't want any inclusions (primarily alcohol) who will choose that fare even at a $200 savings over an Always Included fare. People who are persuaded to book over a $200-300 savings are not typical suite guests. 

 

Suites as a whole continue to be the fastest booked category. As long as that holds true there is really little reason for them to adjust pricing to make Cruise Only rates favorable on suite bookings.

You might be able to answer this ? Jeremiah. I looked at suite rates for a Feb 2022 sailing, there was a suite guarantee rate that was not AI, although it didn’t list as sail only. I thought suites automatically got at least classic beverage. How does that work, is there a note on your Seapass card that you have to sign for anything in Michael’s (this was on Reflection)?

 I backed out of the res, we were checking rates before inviting another couple to join us, so I may well have gotten confused.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

You might be able to answer this ? Jeremiah. I looked at suite rates for a Feb 2022 sailing, there was a suite guarantee rate that was not AI, although it didn’t list as sail only. I thought suites automatically got at least classic beverage. How does that work, is there a note on your Seapass card that you have to sign for anything in Michael’s (this was on Reflection)?

 I backed out of the res, we were checking rates before inviting another couple to join us, so I may well have gotten confused.

Even when you are cruising in a suite with the Sail Only Gty, you receive free drinks while in the Michael’s/retreat lounge.  You do not get the Classic Drink Package to use outside the lounge.

Edited by jagoffee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Why isn't it valid?   Cruise only rates are all guaranteed cabins.  So in my comparison  you can $1015pp and select your OV  cabin and get the drinks, wi-fi and daily gratuities or pay $1009 pp. plus $98 for the daily gratuities and  let the computer select your OV cabin.

If this is a seven day cruise, the gratuity is $108.50.

In the many times we booked guarantees Celebrity has always assigned cabins fairly early. If we got a cabin not in our preferred areas, such as at the very front or back of the ship, directly over/under known high noise area, or near an area that we know is high traffic, we've always been able to move to on of our preferred areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

You might be able to answer this ? Jeremiah. I looked at suite rates for a Feb 2022 sailing, there was a suite guarantee rate that was not AI, although it didn’t list as sail only. I thought suites automatically got at least classic beverage. How does that work, is there a note on your Seapass card that you have to sign for anything in Michael’s (this was on Reflection)?

 I backed out of the res, we were checking rates before inviting another couple to join us, so I may well have gotten confused.

 

I can't say that I've ever booked a GTY Suite but I'm 99.9% sure you still get access to Michaels Club/Retreat Lounge drinks. I really don't know how they would monitor it either way. Right now there is no middle ground on the suite inclusions though. You either get the Always Included fare with the Premium Package or Simply Sail/Guarantee with no drink package. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I have booked suites prior to AI with senior or resident discounts which didn't include the usual 4 perks.  Drinks were available in MC but not in Luminae, the Retreat Sun Deck or anywhere other than the lounge.    Discounts used to be substantial.

 

What I'm seeing now is just an advertisement to demonstrate the "value" of AI after showing you a lower entry point.  

 

Edited by wrk2cruise
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

Although these rates are offered on suites, suite guests aren't the target. These fares are for bargain/bottom dollar cruisers and those don't want any inclusions (primarily alcohol) who will choose that fare even at a $200 savings over an Always Included 

Does this include bottom feeders as well?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Searanger said:

 

Personally, I see it as a big mistake to not offer either option on all cruises.  Some people just don't drink or drink very little and couldn't give a hoot if they can walk around with their phones checking their E-Mail continuously.   Will they move on to other cruise lines that provide a less non inclusive fare at a more competitive price.   

 

 

 

Don't forget to factor in the paid room gratuities when you do the math.  Also Bottled Water/Soda is important to some folks...

 

But it's still simple math.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, keesar said:

 You are barking up the right tree.  We have done some shorter cruises and we called them "booze cruises".    There was more drinking than usual and the cruisers did not appear to be the typical Celebrity clientele.  Younger crowd.  

 

One of us basically drinks water and a couple of virgin drinks on our cruises.  They are making money on this  classic/premium beverage package.

They are a business, profit is what they are after.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Asked Celebrity the question.  Can you price out "Always Included" and" Simply Sail" on the same cruise?  Here's the reply:

"Simply Sail is only offered on certain stateroom categories and offered on certain sail dates.
 
It is not always offered"

 

So you got me on how the marketing department decides which sales tactics to use for certain cruises.  How do you fill up ships if bookings are weak on the "Always Included" model without mixing in "Simply Sail"?  Maybe that's the point.  If sales are slow then they market the "Simply Sail" without offending booked guests in "Always Included" who would ask for some money back.  GENIUS  "No" suites will never be offered as "Simply Sail".  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...