QE Sun Voyage - 20-27 Aug

rakkor

CC Help Jenn
This post was recognized by CC Help Jenn!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic"

rakkor was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

It’s all starting again, last week Queen Elizabeth set off on her first post-covid cruise, now it’s nearly our time. It’s two days before boarding and getting very exciting. All paperwork has now been completed and printed off. All the packing has been mostly done, just waiting for a couple of items to be returned from the cleaners. Our departure is slightly different this year, normally we’d head off to the New Forest to stay the night at Jane’s Dad’s place and get dropped off by him at the terminal in the morning. This year John and Bess are travelling with us, so instead of trying to squeeze the four of us, with luggage in a single car we have decided to travel separately and use CPS to park the cars. This was a cheaper option than getting cabs as this cruise is only seven nights. It also has the added advantage that if, in the unlikely event that any of us test positive for Covid on embarkation then the holiday is not spoiled for all.

I intend to blog our adventure again - the link is in my signature below but I shall also post updates with any information that seems relevent here

Jimbo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Minnie29 said:

We will be joining you on this cruise.

We are all packed and ready for the journey to Southampton. 
Fingers crossed for sunshine and calm seas. 

Given it's advertised as a Sun Voayge, I'd cedrtainly hope so - Here's hoping we steam South and keep going until we need to turn around, I could do with some sun this summer!

Edited by rakkor
spelling
  • Like 1

Pre COVID times I often used to write a daily blog of “live” life onboard. My last was S’ton to Cape Town, Nov 19. By the time I sail, I don’t think there will be anything left to report!🤣

• Like 1

We're all ready to go. The dog has been sent off on his hols. The car is packed, who knew we needed that much stuff for a seven night cruise. Documentation checked, rechecked and checked one more time. Destination for lunch entered into the Sat Nav. Now I've got an hour to chill before setting off.

We did a lateral flow test yesterday, purely for "peace of mind" and both came back negative so that's one less thing to worry about. Checked the documentation one last time.

• Like 2

There's a good view of QE at the Ocean Terminal this morning on the Cruise Cam stream of the Solent Ships YouTube channel. I do hope you manage to find more sun during this Sun Voyage than is evident in Southampton at the moment. Looking forward to accounts of this voyage.

1939630176_QESouthampton2021-08-2009_30_00.thumb.jpg.7c0eee64d1dd6d90f2e3897033e732b8.jpg

3 hours ago, Minnie29 said:

Woke up this morning and opened the curtains and the Queen Elizabeth is docked right across from the hotel. Looking beautiful!!!

Super excited now!!!

You must be in the cargo hotel their by the terminal?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

You must be in the cargo hotel their by the terminal?

Which hotel?  We are (hopefully)  cruising on the QE in the  October and are wondering which hotel to stay in the night before.

8 minutes ago, Joy R said:

Which hotel?  We are (hopefully)  cruising on the QE in the  October and are wondering which hotel to stay in the night before.

Perhaps I am wrong but I thought the cargo hotel that is what it is called was very close to the cruise terminal. There are others close to the terminal as well I think.

Edited by ace2542

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Where are you having lunch?

Piecaramba - Pie and Mash to tide me over since the Red Lion isn’t open for lunch - Horrendous drive down - Traffic holdups on the M25 A3 and M3 so 45 mins late

Edited by rakkor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Piecaramba - Pie and Mash to tide me over since the Red Lion isn’t open for lunch - Horrendous drive down - Traffic holdups on the M25 A3 and M3 so 45 mins late

You mean the golden lion don't you? Or is it the Red Lion on the Elizabeth?. They will check you in if you are late won't they?

Edited by ace2542

Embarkation

Friday 20th Aug

We set off at 09:30 for a leisurely drive down to Southampton where we’d booked lunch in a pie and mash shop. It all started really well with light traffic all the way to the M25. It didn’t take long to change, by the time we reached Leatherhead it was stop start, nose to tail and didn’t get any better until we pulled off onto the A33 into Southampton. Lunch, late but excellent, once eaten, we headed off to the Mayflower to be tested. The entrance to this was on West Bay Road and not at the Mayflower Cruise Terminal. The process was simple enough, check your Covid certificate details against your passport. Check phone details once done take a swab and send you on your way to Dock gate 4 and Ocean Terminal. We received a text confirming your phone number. Once we’d handed the car over to CPS, it was time to drop our suitcases off and head into the terminal. As we walked in we got a ping with the welcome news we were both negative. Everything else went like clockwork, we were ushered into the priority line, but there was no real need as it was quiet, did the rest of the paperwork and we were in our cabin 45 minutes after arriving at the Covid test centre. 

It’s masks everywhere outside the cabin so far.

• Like 2