QE Sun Voyage - 20-27 Aug

rakkor

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Are all the seats in the bars being hogged?

It’s too early to tell - the Commodore Club is quiet, as expected, at 18:00

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, rakkor said:

It’s too early to tell - the Commodore Club is quiet, as expected, at 18:00

Are the various social events like the LGBT meetup which is nightly and various other meetups friends of Bill W etc etc?

First Sea Day

Saturday 21st Aug

I am totally disorganised today, I had booked breakfast for myself in the Britannia, Jane had ordered room service as she’s not a morning person. I set my alarm for 07:30 and promptly slept through it only to be awoken by Jane’s room service arriving early. I did make breakfast though, but it was a bit of a rush. There was no difference in breakfast today and pre Covid apart the fact I couldn’t share a table, so I ate my kippers alone.

After breakfast the first of today’s lectures beckons, John Maclean, who is an astronomer, gave the first of his lectures on the Solar system. As always I found this both informative and interesting.

After this it was back to the cabin, 4054, to find Jane sunning herself on our huge balcony. I needed a cup of tea, so we headed up to the Lido to find out how we went about getting a brew, obviously there would be changes from normality. It was actually pain free, explain to the Maitre’d allocating tables to diners that we just wanted a cuppa and he sent us to the tea point where waiters were serving up cups of tea which we gratefully took and retired to the Garden Room to drink.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Are the various social events like the LGBT meetup which is nightly and various other meetups friends of Bill W etc etc?

We were there at 5pm and we never saw the meet in it’s usual place and I don’t see it in the daily programme

24 minutes ago, rakkor said:

We were there at 5pm and we never saw the meet in it’s usual place and I don’t see it in the daily programme

Is the CC Meetup going ahead?

18 hours ago, ace2542 said:

There were Bill W meetings on last weeks cruise as were advertised on Daily Programme but dont know if they were every day. No idea about LGBT meetings.

1 minute ago, majortom10 said:

There were Bill W meetings on last weeks cruise as were advertised on Daily Programme but dont know if they were every day. No idea about LGBT meetings.

Did a cruise critic meetup take place? Did solo travellers meetups take place? I am not a member of the LGBT group btw but without these kind of meetups a lot of people may not see the point in going?

Was the nightclub open? Who was the DJ?

Following your progress to the sun, but a bit surprised you are only showing 12 knots.  I would have expected the ship to be attempting to get as far south as possible for heat and perhaps more reliable sun.  However, what do I know?  You are possibly all sun bathing on the decks now.  I wish you all much sun and lots of enjoyment.

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Did a cruise critic meetup take place? Did solo travellers meetups take place? I am not a member of the LGBT group btw but without these kind of meetups a lot of people may not see the point in going?

Was the nightclub open? Who was the DJ?

Never saw any CC meets advertised but there were unhosted solo travellers meet ups every morning.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Never saw any CC meets advertised but there were unhosted solo travellers meet ups every morning.

Majortom10 - last week I did wonder about a CC meeting but couldn’t remember what time they held them in the Commodore Club on the first sea day.  On QM-2 on transatlantics it was about 1400 for years in the days of Cap’n Pugwash and then it was changed to late mornings I think.  Pugwash managed to get the captain to attend and talk to us.  Does anyone know if there is a standard time for it on all Cunard ships?  There should be!

1 minute ago, RJChatsworth said:

Majortom10 - last week I did wonder about a CC meeting but couldn’t remember what time they held them in the Commodore Club on the first sea day.  On QM-2 on transatlantics it was about 1400 for years in the days of Cap’n Pugwash and then it was changed to late mornings I think.  Pugwash managed to get the captain to attend and talk to us.  Does anyone know if there is a standard time for it on all Cunard ships?  There should be!

I know they have normally been arranged but either forgotten to go or never really been interested in attending.

1 minute ago, RJChatsworth said:

In my experience, the time and place for the Cruise Critic meeting (if any) is decided upon by the members who post on the roll call for that voyage. As a result, the timing does vary or there may not be any meeting at all. Sometimes it ends up being late morning of the first sea day, other times it's in the afternoon. For voyages where the first full day is not a sea day, it sometimes ends up being the evening of embarkation day. For QM2 crossings, a 2:00pm meeting in the Commodore Club on the first full day at sea seems to be pretty typical, although I've seen plenty of variations on that as well.

I personally have never noticed the Cruise Critic meeting listed in the daily programme. I suppose that would require someone on the roll call to contact Cunard to arrange that. Unlike some other cruise lines, Cunard does not usually take an active part in arranging Cruise Critic meetings.

16 hours ago, sandjango said:

Just a quick question...does your covid certificate exactly match the name on your passport...

No, name and surname only on the certificate - the poople checking seemed happy

15 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I know they have normally been arranged but either forgotten to go or never really been interested in attending.

I was at lunch so would have missed the usual 2pm first sea day meeting

Day Two, At Sea Steaming South

Sun 22nd Aug

I’m joined by Jane for breakfast in the MDR this morning, an honour indeed. The process for breakfast is unchanged apart from no table sharing, but the distance between pairs is pretty much unchanged from previous cruises so a bit pointless. The breakfast was excellent, I had smoked haddock and poached eggs in a pretence of being healthy, but it’s only a pretence given how much I’m eating the rest of the time.

The sun hasn’t quite arrived yet, but the Southern horizon is looking promising as we steam further into the Bay of Biscay.

After a quick maskless walk around deck threes headed to the Queens room as Jane wanted to see the Zumba class in action. Looked a bit energetic so I’m not sure if she’s up for it tomorrow.

• Like 1

Re the CC meets, the most popular time on all ships became 1100 hrs, port side, in the Commodore.

Bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

On our last outing on QE two years ago, I was the only one to turn up. (Unless they moved it and didn't tell me.)