What Are You Waiting For

Keith1010

For those of you who want to cruise and COVID-19 is not the reason why you are not booking than I wonder what some of you are waiting for.

I know some are waiting for itineraries with lots of seas days and ones which are longer than just a week.

I realize some want to go to exotic places and not to Nassau and in some cases not to Bermuda.

Here is my take.

Given a choice of staying at home or sailing on one of the Crystal Vessels I go with Crystal.

Given a choice of going on an itinerary which was not in your top ten itineraries versus staying home I would go with Crystal.

Given a choice of going on an itinerary which is not as long as you desire I would go with Crystal and consider booking a back to back cruise.

If you look at most of the reviews and comments from Serenity's and Endeavor and I suspect Symphony will be th same the overalll comments are very positive.  In other words people are having a great time.

I also am concerned what if people don't start to book Crystal that this is going put a large strain on the company and the ships.

In the end, each person needs to figure out if they are ready to travel and, if so, will the itinerary work for them given the circumstances we face.

For Anne Marie and for myself it was an easy decision.

And this is a decision we are happy with as we had a wonderful time on Serenity and an amazing time on Endeavor.

I am a believer not to put those things off till tomorrow that you can do today.  What things will be like in this COVID world tomorrow (eg., six months to one year from now) I have no clue so we just said let's go.

Whatever you do I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Keith

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

I am waiting for clarification for my 23 nights Crystal cruise in November. I am waiting for reliable information from Crystal on how to fulfill entry requirements of a dozen of places, which I was supposed to visit on those itineraries.

My alternative to a Crystal cruise is not only to stay at home. We have been doing lots of traveling despite Covid. Next week I am traveling for a week to the Eternal City Rome 😉😎.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have a credit from my Endeavor cruise burning a hole in my pocket. And we’ve never been to Bermuda. But we have other travel commitments until November (mostly a backlog of rescheduled weddings).  And then it’s looking more and more like we will be required to get a booster to still be considered vaccinated. Which I’ve already decided - I’m a definite “no” on a third shot. My cruising days may be over. 😢

1 hour ago, drib said:

Say it ain't so, sierrafloridacruiser. *

I think the whole point of being patient and staying healthy now is so that you will get the chance to sail again later. The only exception I would make to that is if you already know your expiration date.

Did you have a bad reaction to your first or second jab?

======

* Isn't "sierra" plus anything in Florida an oxymoron?

I do hope to sail again, but in answer to the specific question that was asked: “what am I waiting for” it’s clarity on the booster issue. I’m not going to book a cruise now (for November), that may end up forcing me to take another shot I neither want nor need medically, simply because I have money tied up and the cruise line has a vaccination requirement that I no longer meet (3 shots). Maybe Crystal will end up saying two is still fine, but according to the timeline being proposed, I’ll be due for my booster in November. 

I had no reaction to the jabs. And I am not at high risk for a bad outcome from the virus, other than my age - 62, which is statistically “borderline”. I have zero health issues. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

I wanted to add to my original tread that I do fully understand those who do not want to travel or cruise now for a range of reasons.  Some might include: concern about getting COVID-19;  concern about taking the COVID-19 test multiple times; concern about failing the test prior to disembarkation and what that means in terms of not being able to get home right away; same goes for getting symptoms, testing and having COVID-19 during the cruise and its implications; and concern about wearing masks in places where they  are required.  I realize there are others.

What I was trying to focus on is for those who don't have major concerns but are waiting for the more interesting itineraries and longer ones and for things to be back to a 100% norm I am not sure when they will happen.  I was feeling pretty confident in May and June how things were going in my own country although still concerned for the rest of the world and feeling very good by late June until the Delta Variant spread to various part of the world including my own country.  Will there be other variants?  How long will we go through this in my own country and in other parts of the world?  What will things be like one, two, three and more years from now?  What will.........?  Will there..........?  So many questions.  No definitive answers.........

I was speaking with a friend who is older than me recently who said he and his wife don't have many more years of travel given their age and health and how a good percentage of the time they could have travel is now gone due to COVID-19.  That resonated with me because of my view that life is like a book and no one knows when that last chapter will be written and because of my belief not to put things off for another day that you can do today.

So I think if we put things off such as cruising for another day will that another day come and if so when and will we be able to travel then.  And if too many people put things off to another day will cruise lines as we know them survive.  

I know in our case we took risk to travel and this is why I've said that the morning we were too fly to Iceland I said to my wife are you sure you want to do this?  If she said no, we would have stayed home.

I also know that in the case of Nassau if this was normal times we wouldn't have gone if for some reason they were offering cruises for a few months and knowing that later in the year we could choose longer and more interesting itineraries.  

But as it turned out the Nassau voyages far exceed anything I expected and that included the Crystal experience for a seven day cruise including the many first time guests we met; the weather which was not as hot as expected; and out time at the hotel we stayed at pre-cruise.  

I am not even sure we would have selected the R/T Iceland cruise on Endeavor if it was say one of many cruises offered with changing itineraries with each succeeding voyage.  I probably would have based this decision on the two stops we had in the Capital City when one had high winds, lots of rain and we were soaked and not prepared and the second one where we were prepared and the weather started like the first time but did improve.  We might have said let's pick something else.  This trip was amazing because we loved the ship and all it had to offer on and off the ship and we thoroughly enjoyed Iceland.

Anyway, as I often say in the end there is no right or wrong and this certainly applies to whether to travel now or not.

I know for us we felt safer on board the ships than we do at home and when I say at home when we leave our home but know there is risk including getting to and from the ship and I know in our case we don't do all that we would do under normal circumstances.  With that said given a choice of having a wonderful time cruising with some restriction on what we do and our self imposed wearing of the masks when we go to public areas inside the ship versus staying at home and wondering when things will get back to normal we will find a balanced approach which works for us and that is to do some cruising now and not wait.

Whatever you decide, stay well, safe and healthy and let's hope there are better days ahead.

Keith

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

I’m a definite “no” on a third shot. My cruising days may be over. 😢

I don't know where this vaccination thing is going, but we get annual flu shots that are necessitated by mutating viruses and declining immunity.  This hopefully won't be the new norm, but if it is I will get my shots.  Time's ticking.  Join us, I need a good trivia partner! 😎

If we can no longer cruise I'm moving to the ranch and getting some big dogs and little donkeys. 🤠

Edited by flyingshoes
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, sierrafloridacruiser said:

I have a credit from my Endeavor cruise burning a hole in my pocket. And we’ve never been to Bermuda. But we have other travel commitments until November (mostly a backlog of rescheduled weddings).  And then it’s looking more and more like we will be required to get a booster to still be considered vaccinated. Which I’ve already decided - I’m a definite “no” on a third shot. My cruising days may be over. 😢

We are still on shot 1 J&J if you follow some of the theories it will be a total of 4 shots cause there is 4 lines on the card lol.  Who knows what will happen  

1 hour ago, flyingshoes said:

I don't know where this vaccination thing is going, but we get annual flu shots that are necessitated by mutating viruses and declining immunity.  This hopefully won't be the new norm, but if it is I will get my shots.  Time's ticking.  Join us, I need a good trivia partner! 😎

If we can no longer cruise I'm moving to the ranch and getting some big dogs and little donkeys. 🤠

Ross, I do hope its not the new norm either!  I would love nothing better than to play trivia with you again on a Crystal ship. 

If we can no longer cruise, we will spend that time instead at our happy place in the NC mountains. I would love some goats!  And we have plenty of room for visitors. 🙂

In spite of the current gloom, we are very, very blessed and I do not take it for granted. 

Hoping my currently pessimistic view will pass. While on Endeavor, we spent some time talking to Harry, the Hotel Director from the Esprit, and I got very excited about doing the Esprit. I’d actually love to tackle the planning challenge of doing a trip combining Crystal Ocean, River and the Endeavor, to see some of Europe and the Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

I'm sailing Crystal in the Caribbean this year.  And with luck, a number of different Crystal itineraries next year.

I refuse to live my life under my bed or crouching in the corner of my closet.  I didn't 20 years ago after September 11th, I haven't for the last 18 months, and I won't for the future.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

I'm sailing Crystal in the Caribbean this year.  And with luck, a number of different Crystal itineraries next year.

I refuse to live my life under my bed or crouching in the corner of my closet.  I didn't 20 years ago after September 11th, I haven't for the last 18 months, and I won't for the future.

Yup, me too.  Traveled all of last year except for two months and all this year except January.  Been to Europe, on cruises and tons of places I had never visited.  For people who do not want to go on cruises, there are plenty of other alternatives where they would have just as good a time and not be worried.  When they feel comfortable cruise ships and most cruise lines will be there. Choice is good.

• Like 8

Thankfully, we didn't wait until we were older or retired to begin traveling, so we're not concerned about reevaluating our plans right now.  We began our travels as young DINKS with nary a care in the world and lots of time to explore it.  We had so many great adventures on land and sea over the past 35 years, that at this point, we're quite content.  Our bucket list still has a few gotta-see places on it, but we actually spend most of our time feeling grateful and enjoying life and not regretting something we missed or some future we might not have. 

Earlier this year for a variety of reasons, we decided to put cruising on temporary hold.  But we're not putting life on hold.  For us, it's not a choice of cruising or staying home.  Cruising is not our life.  There are other travel options that are equally interesting and we've enjoyed exploring them.  We'll return to the rivers and the seas when the time is right, for us.  It's all about making choices and plans within our comfort zone.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

"If I don't go on a cruise, the  terrorists have won!"

• Like 2

We are once again travelling like crazy.  But we are not going to go to the Caribbean ...even with Crystal 

We have 10 cruises booked for 2021 - 2023 plus 3 land vacations, all with private guides.  

We will go until we can't (that could be soon  LOL).

But I do understand those who will not travel.

Covid is frightening and the situation is constantly changing.

Vaccinations are not foolproof.

Some people are very risk averse.

Some have underlying conditions that increase those risks.

For us, travel is very important so we are wiling take some small risks.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Exactly my point.

I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Isn't there a series of emojis that was in use here to indicate sarcasm, just in  case it isn't perfctly clear for everyone? Perhaps like 🤪🤪🤪😝😝😝😜😜😜!!!!

I think the new cruisecritic app has a different emoji selection (and I am not a heavy user of emojis just amateur).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drib said:

Another reason to wait is that the future of the US economy, as indicated by the stock markets, is uncertain.

Most recently, the stock markets tanked massively in 1999, 2001 and 2008. There were other down years, but those are the big ones. In those cases, it took years to recover. So if you can't wait, maybe eight years, as was the case from 2008 to 2016, you might not want to drop a large chunk of change on a cruise.

Is the US economy built on a house of cards? We spent trillions and trillions of dollars in stimulus to prop it up - speaking of not sustainable - and interest rates are as low as they can go, so we can't use that trick pony again going forward. (Plus, low interest rates are terrible for seniors - not the ones that can afford a Crystal cruise, but everyone else.)

I don't mean to be Drib Downer, but in response to the topic, this is a reason some of you might want to wait it out.

I don't want to debate this but I have had the opposite experience.

I don't like it when there are large swings in the market such as large annual highs because eventually there is payback time when the pendulum swings in the other direction.  

So I believe in this thing called diversity and looking for opportunities to sell high and buy low and use simple logic.

I remember talking to a good friend on Serenity during the 2010 World Cruise and we were saying that back in the day when we had to pay for these cruises very early either because of the early payment, the high deposits and also because back in the day even to make shore excursion reservations in PCPC we had to pay in full.  So for the 2010 World Cruise I paid that off before the major downfall of the Market began in 2008 into 2009 and he did too and we said that was one of our better decisions because had we waited we would have been selling at lows rather than at highs for the time frame.  Many had waited and I remember bookings were way down for a few years after that.

So timing is everything as is diversity and when it comes to the stock market not being a "pig".

And I do agree if one is too aggressive in money spending thinking the market will continue to grow they could be in a heap of trouble. But for those who are cautious they can find the proper balance. Also we are not talking about a World Cruise and these are some of the lowest price cruises since many are 7 to 10 days versus longer cruises.

Just my two cents and it's definitely OK if one person says wait as you did and another says why wait as I did.

Also I am reminded that waiting could have a pitfall because of age and health. I've known many who put off and waited and then due to other circumstances health/age could no longer go.  

Decisions.  Decisions.

Keith

• Like 2

Drib, we would be ready to book Antarctica, probably on the Endeavor we loved so much in Iceland , if Argentina of Chile becomes officially and definitively (or as definitively as you can get during Covid shenanigans) open to foreign tourists.  As Keith said, you never know if you will be able to travel  later, as unexpected things can happen, so if you can, do them now.  Our health and finances are not likely to get better with time.  

Right now, these countries  are closed through October and you cannot get to Antarctica (falling apart or not) without at least one of them being open (especially with New Zealand indefinitely closed, e.g., willing to lock down the country again due to 1 Covid case).  

I so  hear what you are saying about the economy, and that many people are living on funny money. We  DH and I just had a ZOOM update with our financial advisor today but unfortunately  he did not tell us  anything we did not already know or speculate on as well as he does  from independent readings (in fact, he probably learned something from us to consider, and we are not in the financial professions). Some  people have more funny money than others, , e.g., funny money nest eggs that are bigger than others' funny money nest eggs, so they worry less.  Other people also are not dependent on market income for their spending (at least not directly within their lifespans) , or know they will inherit money.  Conversely, others want to leave some of their assets to offspring and/or not lose it on a cruise line that could go into bankruptcy and never come out. Others could afford to lose a lot and stilll have money left over for their nursing homes and other unfunded medical care, rebounding dependent offspring, prolonged hyperinflation a la Venezuela, etc., and pax perspectives can be wildly different. 

DH and I are, despite my "high" risk of doing poorly with Covid (we understand statistics) more worried about what countries and cruise lines will do to spoil our journey, than we are about dying of Covid.  The Viking horror stories (e.g., terminating dozens of Iceland vacations for passengers who never tested positive but were on a bus with someone asymptomatic who did), are not inspiring.  So many arguably irrational things are happening.  We were, in hindsight,  lucky to squeak by in Iceland without getting the boot for some reason.  As there are no bus excursions in Antarctica, if we could just get there, my guess is we would be good to finish the cruise uneventfully. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

(especially with New Zealand indefinitely closed, e.g., willing to lock down the country again due to 1 Covid case).  

I think you fail to understand Delta variant and how quickly it spreads - sure it started with 1 identified case but NZ now has 11 new cases of Covid-19 as of today, Friday, bringing the cluster to 31 

Unlike some countries who choose to ignore it they choose to address the risk differently in order to protect their citizens 

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I think you fail to understand Delta variant and how quickly it spreads - sure it started with 1 identified case but NZ now has 11 new cases of Covid-19 as of today, Friday, bringing the cluster to 31 

Unlike some countries who choose to ignore it they choose to address the risk differently in order to protect their citizens 

I'm in the relevant professional field, Stickman, so I understand it very well -- perhaps too well, but that is another topic. 

I am sorry I offended and upset you when I responded to Drib on the topic of "what are you waiting for."  

I hope you stay safe.

• Thanks 1

catlover54 my view is very similar to yours about Antartica.

If not for the uncertainty of where the cruise will start or end because of where the countries will be at the time given COVID-19 we realized midway through the current cruise that we want to do Antartica and do it on Endeavor.  We sailed off Antartica on Serenity in 2007 and although we couldn't go ashore unless you booked the excursion offered to fly guests over there it was one of the most magical moments we have ever experienced in all  of our cruising.  We felt we were on another planet or maybe in heaven.  It was surreal and even from the ship we saw lots of wildlife; not one whale at a time but many and penguins, etc.  With Endeavor that will be the perfect vessel for us.  We hope to go in 2023 and in the meantime have other cruises for 2022 and hoping they will happen.  

And like you other than where it starts and ends I do think it would be a perfect cruise to sail in this environment.

By the way I thought Iceland was too because other than the port city I suspect there are very few cases around the island.  As you know from my posts we just took lots of extra precautions before we boarded by avoiding restaurants and in our case wearing masks even walking the city and we took extra precautions on the ship and after we left.  I think our riskiest time was on the flights within the USA because on the flight to Iceland even though there are no guarantees at least everyone had a COVID-19 test or they couldn't check in for the flight (I realize this only recently went into affect) and on the flight back to the USA at least everyone on that flight would have had the test within three days of the flight.  Yes, someone could have COVID-19 and not yet test positive but between the testing, people largely wearing masks on the flight unless they were eating/drinking and the ventilation system we felt as good as we could feel.

At JFK well that was another story.

All of this is not easy and again everyone has to make their own decision and nothing is a guarantee.

As I was mentioning to someone I know as bad as this has been we are fortunate it is  happening now and not 10 or 20 years ago.  

Keith