What Are You Waiting For

Keith1010

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I don't want to debate this but I have had the opposite experience.

I don't like it when there are large swings in the market such as large annual highs because eventually there is payback time when the pendulum swings in the other direction.  

So I believe in this thing called diversity and looking for opportunities to sell high and buy low and use simple logic.

I remember talking to a good friend on Serenity during the 2010 World Cruise and we were saying that back in the day when we had to pay for these cruises very early either because of the early payment, the high deposits and also because back in the day even to make shore excursion reservations in PCPC we had to pay in full.  So for the 2010 World Cruise I paid that off before the major downfall of the Market began in 2008 into 2009 and he did too and we said that was one of our better decisions because had we waited we would have been selling at lows rather than at highs for the time frame.  Many had waited and I remember bookings were way down for a few years after that.

So timing is everything as is diversity and when it comes to the stock market not being a "pig".

And I do agree if one is too aggressive in money spending thinking the market will continue to grow they could be in a heap of trouble. But for those who are cautious they can find the proper balance. Also we are not talking about a World Cruise and these are some of the lowest price cruises since many are 7 to 10 days versus longer cruises.

Just my two cents and it's definitely OK if one person says wait as you did and another says why wait as I did.

Also I am reminded that waiting could have a pitfall because of age and health. I've known many who put off and waited and then due to other circumstances health/age could no longer go.  

Decisions.  Decisions.

Keith

While I likewise respect that others are free to have their own beliefs re money issues, I serve as my own financial advisor and my logic is the same as what Keith has said. The economics of interest, inflation and investment were taught to me by my dad at an early age (depression baby and accounting professor) and selling when prices are high, buying when prices are low is just plain old common sense. I have done pretty well using my logic, and for me the investment in travel opportunity is one of the easiest choices to make.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mskatiemae said:

While I likewise respect that others are free to have their own beliefs re money issues, I serve as my own financial advisor and my logic is the same as what Keith has said. The economics of interest, inflation and investment were taught to me by my dad at an early age (depression baby and accounting professor) and selling when prices are high, buying when prices are low is just plain old common sense. I have done pretty well using my logic, and for me the investment in travel opportunity is one of the easiest choices to make.

Our logic is pretty much the same .  We have a very similar background as my mom (the accountant and who lived through the depression) taught me a lot about saving/investing/financial strategies including levels of risk and how to adjust based on age and never to be single threaded). Like you,  I too am my own financial adviser.    

Keith

• Like 1

We have been waivering on this issue.  We booked a cruise on Silversea for over the holidays when the numbers were dropping.  Now the numbers are back up and we are unsettled.   What rules will be in place for our cruise are unknown.  Will they be a big headache?  Will we have to be tested?  As a family, we have followed medical guidance and  best pactices.  However, there is a still a chance we might not be able to board.  Even with insurance there will be a financial hit, if we are not able to cruise at the last minute due to Covid.  Are we willing to lose these monies?  With land travel, I will not suffer the same financial impact.

If the cruise lines had more flexible cancellation policies, more in line with the airlines, I probably would be willing to cruise even if the pandemic hasn't really improved.  Moreover, we would probably cancel our reservation on Silversea and book the Symphony because of the great rates.  So for now, we are in a holding pattern and will continue to assess things.

• Like 1

So many pieces of the puzzle need to fit together.  Would like to do Serenity from Miami.  If booked, it will be within ten days of departure.  So looking forward to a week or two of decent dining.   Covid has eliminated my desire for restaurants.   The few meals at restaurants the past two months have proven to be very poor value......very disappointing.

• Like 2

Two booked but not until next April (river cruise) and August (Alaska). Would love to do something earlier but things are happening so quickly with Delta that we are hesitant (cowardly?) to book anything this fall.  Still possible and I do look with longing at the various itineraries but just not ready. If the new cases begin to fall we may but until then just not ready. 

• Like 1

Crystal is and will be empty for the next few months. No need to book now and worry.  Prices are NOT going up and friends of mine booked at the same rate I did, one week before departure.  I had booked months before.  I just checked availability on a few Serenity and Symphony cruises for the fall and wide open.  I seriously doubt they will be full in the Caribbean for the Endeavor at those crazy prices.  

Re Antarctica:  They have had covid there and Chile was actually the first country to vaccinate their nationals at one of their research stations.  I am reminded that it is a very fragile ecosystem there and I do believe that there will be changes coming to these itineraries. 

Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.  Don’t worry, be happy. Time will tell.  I think I have covered all the trite phrases needed LOL.  I am also sure others will disagree.  Vive la differance.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Updated advice from the CDC today - will this impact anyone? I would think it might - but is only advisory after all and plenty seem quite happy to ignore the CDC advice

Some will choose to follow it but others may not despite if falling into the categories the CDC has now listed 

Of course some of this advice is already included in Crystals requirements fir current cruises 

Time will tell…

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

”What can cruise travelers do to protect themselves and others?

CDC recommends that travelers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to traveling on a cruise ship. 

People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after a single dose in a one-dose series or 2 weeks after the second dose in a two-dose series.±

Travelers who are at an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 should avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide, regardless of vaccination status.

If you are at increased risk for severe illness and considering cruise travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, discuss this type of travel with your healthcare professional. Older adults and people of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are more likely to get severely ill if they get COVID-19. People with weakened immune systems, including people who take medicines that suppress their immune systems, may not be protected even if fully vaccinated.

Do not board a cruise ship if you have symptoms of COVID-19, if you know you have COVID-19, if you were exposed to a person with COVID-19 in the past 14 days (unless you recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days), or you are waiting for results of a COVID-19 viral test.

Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth is required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and while indoors at U.S. transportation hubs (such as airports, bus or ferry terminals, train and subway stations, seaports, U.S. ports of entry, and other places where people board public transportation in the U.S. and U.S. territories). Wearing a mask is not required in outdoor areas of transportation conveyances or while outdoors at transportation hubs. However, travelers should consider wearing a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated.”

Edited by Stickman1990

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Updated advice from the CDC today - will this impact anyone? I would think it might - but is only advisory after all and plenty seem quite happy to ignore the CDC advice

Some will choose to follow it but others may not despite if falling into the categories the CDC has now listed 

Of course some of this advice is already included in Crystals requirements fir current cruises 

Time will tell…

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-3/coronavirus-cruise-ship

”What can cruise travelers do to protect themselves and others?

CDC recommends that travelers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to traveling on a cruise ship. 

People are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after a single dose in a one-dose series or 2 weeks after the second dose in a two-dose series.±

Travelers who are at an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 should avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide, regardless of vaccination status.

If you are at increased risk for severe illness and considering cruise travel during the COVID-19 pandemic, discuss this type of travel with your healthcare professional. Older adults and people of any age with certain underlying medical conditions are more likely to get severely ill if they get COVID-19. People with weakened immune systems, including people who take medicines that suppress their immune systems, may not be protected even if fully vaccinated.

Do not board a cruise ship if you have symptoms of COVID-19, if you know you have COVID-19, if you were exposed to a person with COVID-19 in the past 14 days (unless you recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days), or you are waiting for results of a COVID-19 viral test.

Wearing a mask over your nose and mouth is required on planes, buses, trains, and other forms of public transportation traveling into, within, or out of the United States and while indoors at U.S. transportation hubs (such as airports, bus or ferry terminals, train and subway stations, seaports, U.S. ports of entry, and other places where people board public transportation in the U.S. and U.S. territories). Wearing a mask is not required in outdoor areas of transportation conveyances or while outdoors at transportation hubs. However, travelers should consider wearing a mask in crowded outdoor settings and for activities with close contact with others who are not fully vaccinated.”

Thanks for posting this.  i think there are a number of posters here who have mentioned that either they, or their spouses, have compromised immune systems or are older and have other conditions.  I wonder if they will cancel or not book. I think there will be more cancellations for Crystal and others.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cruisr said:

i think there are a number of posters here who have mentioned that either they, or their spouses, have compromised immune systems or are older and have other conditions.  I wonder if they will cancel or not book. I think there will be more cancellations for Crystal and others.

Yes I believe you are correct about that. I would think it must have an impact on bookings although it seems that many are prepared to ignore CDC advice 

• Like 1

When you dig down into this and everyone follows the CDC advise the cruise lines will be filled with 18-49 year olds who are current or former Olympians and have a BMI of less than 25.  My BMI is 25.3 so technically I am overweight (A few pounds) and according to the CDC, I should not cruise.  It was interesting reading, for sure.  If you haven’t be sure to click on all the hyperlinks.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisr said:

Thanks for posting this.  i think there are a number of posters here who have mentioned that either they, or their spouses, have compromised immune systems or are older and have other conditions.  I wonder if they will cancel or not book. I think there will be more cancellations for Crystal and others.

Three things.

I think some people will not book or may cancel due to this and I would say it has more to do with the Delta Variant.

Those with compromised immune systems can not get the booster in the USA which began around a week ago.

There are certainly no guarantees to not get COVID-19 but I believe there are many protocols one can follow to minimize the chance of it.  This IMHO means you have to go further than what is recommended on land and at sea.

Keith

I am forced to wait because i still cannot go to the US despite fully vaccinated 

and i cannot go to hapag lloyd because i am not living in Germany Austria or Switserland - in covid times even the European rules seem not to be valid... 

and i do not pay a fortune on an air ticket  to reach the serenity 😪

so waiting for 20 th October Crystal Ravel 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even though we are still waivering, probably less so now that we will have our boosters in November, we cancelled our holiday cruise this weekend on the Silversea Spirit and booked the Symphony instead for the December 18 sailing.  Even though we are still bothered how Crystal handled the refunds, we still love the ships and the staff that works onboard.  It has been great to hear from Keith and others that the service continues to be top notch, even after such a long layoff.  We are looking forward to try the Seabreeze PH for the first time.  

• Like 1

I respect everyone's decision on whether to cruise or not to cruise. I just finished my Crystal cruise and I felt safer there than going to my grocery store. On board I knew that everyone was vaccinated and that is more than I can say when going out in public on land. All that is humanely possible is being done by Crystal to keep passengers safe. Knowing this took the safety concerns away.

Also, the last 18 months took a very heavy toll on me psychologically. From the fear mongering, the isolation, the uncertainty that the government or the scientists were truthful to wear a mask don't wear a mask. ENOUGH. I chose not to live in fear anymore. I am vaccinated, I follow the mandates and I will get the booster when I am required but I chose what level of risk I can tolerate as should everyone else.

• Like 6

On 8/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, drib said:

Another reason to wait is that the future of the US economy, as indicated by the stock markets, is uncertain.

I don't mean to be Drib Downer, but in response to the topic, this is a reason some of you might want to wait it out.

I would have to agree with the others who said, "Sell high and buy low."  Of course that is a lot easier said than done. 😉   For me, if I believed that the stock market is going to crash and we are about to enter 8 plus years of another Great Depression (which is probably a topic not appropriate for much discussion on Cruise Critic), that would be a reason to travel and enjoy the opportunities we have now while I still can.  After "waiting it out" for 8 plus years I may not be physically able to do so.  I would probably feel differently about this if I were 30-40 years younger.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SusieQft said:

I would have to agree with the others who said, "Sell high and buy low."  Of course that is a lot easier said than done. 😉   For me, if I believed that the stock market is going to crash and we are about to enter 8 plus years of another Great Depression (which is probably a topic not appropriate for much discussion on Cruise Critic), that would be a reason to travel and enjoy the opportunities we have now while I still can.  After "waiting it out" for 8 plus years I may not be physically able to do so.  I would probably feel differently about this if I were 30-40 years younger.

Another one related to sell high and buy low is don't be a pig.  The latter served me well and probably is a key reason my age when I retired.

Keith

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2021 at 1:32 AM, Catlover54 said:

Drib, we would be ready to book Antarctica, probably on the Endeavor we loved so much in Iceland , if Argentina of Chile becomes officially and definitively (or as definitively as you can get during Covid shenanigans) open to foreign tourists.  As Keith said, you never know if you will be able to travel  later, as unexpected things can happen, so if you can, do them now.  Our health and finances are not likely to get better with time.  

Agree.  We are booked this year for our second Expedition cruise.  Once was not enough.

Cruise lines are still a go (but I am pessimistic) with plan A , Plan B and Plan C leaving from Argentina or Chile at various ports.  We have an added benefit (reason for Quark) is that this is a Solar Eclipse cruise.

Argentina needs the tourism money and is trying to create a bubble in Patagonia.   Good news is Vax rates are approaching 70% in Chile and over 50% in Argentina.

Keith -- when you do book, pick an itinerary that includes South Georgia.

Edited by PaulMCO

11 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Another one related to sell high and buy low is don't be a pig.  The latter served me well and probably is a key reason my age when I retired.

Keith

That was always my Dad's advice or to quote him,

Bulls prosper. Bears prosper, but pigs never do.

• Like 1