scheduling backup antigen test

For vaccinated cruisers who test positive (hopefully false positive) just a few days prior to embarkation, how have you handled getting a second test?  Do you schedule both ahead of time (perhaps a day apart) or when they send you the results do they invite you to come take a confirmation test, since they know there are a lot of false positives?  TIA.

20 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

For vaccinated cruisers who test positive (hopefully false positive) just a few days prior to embarkation, how have you handled getting a second test?  Do you schedule both ahead of time (perhaps a day apart) or when they send you the results do they invite you to come take a confirmation test, since they know there are a lot of false positives?  TIA.

Good question we had our test down yesterday at cvs we have not heard back on the results it take 1-2 days if we get a false positive not sure what we would do then i heard there are test you can buy and have a telemed DR observe.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ryansdad45 said:

Good question we had our test down yesterday at cvs we have not heard back on the results it take 1-2 days if we get a false positive not sure what we would do then i heard there are test you can buy and have a telemed DR observe.

Are you waiting for results of a PCR or quick antigen test? 

1 hour ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

We scheduled a PCR on a Wednesday for our Saturday cruise. We will also schedule a rapid NAAT on that day, since they cannot guarantee a PCR result prior to our Friday flight.

Have a backup plan. I am cruising Sunday and had a CVS rapid test schedule for today at 4PM. Got a text and email this morning that my appointment was canceled, site closed until further notice. All other CVS rapid places were full or not close. Luckily two weeks ago I scheduled a test at an Urgent care for tomorrow. The just in case is now a final solution. If they cancel I am not going to be able to get a test in time. Glad I had a backup plan. If you have two different places in your area (by area, mine were hour away) I would suggest scheduling them. Can always cancel the second if get the first. Good luck.

• Like 4

I did a rapid test at CVS yesterday for my Saturday cruise.  I had results in 1 hour.  My backup plan was to simply get one of the at home tests if needed.

27 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Are you waiting for results of a PCR or quick antigen test? 

PCR we had 5 of us done at 4pm and 3 of us received Negative results just waiting on the last 2 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, SCBarker said:

I get that people worry about false positives, but false negatives are right at 10 times more likely. Which is a bigger worry for everyone else 🙂

That’s just as much a concern. We scheduled both tests, as other’s suggest. The more accurate PCR test and the Rapid Test to minimize risk of not getting PCR results on time. 

If either comes back positive, game over.

Edited by crooooze
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shibby sails said:

Have a backup plan. I am cruising Sunday and had a CVS rapid test schedule for today at 4PM. Got a text and email this morning that my appointment was canceled, site closed until further notice. All other CVS rapid places were full or not close. Luckily two weeks ago I scheduled a test at an Urgent care for tomorrow. The just in case is now a final solution. If they cancel I am not going to be able to get a test in time. Glad I had a backup plan. If you have two different places in your area (by area, mine were hour away) I would suggest scheduling them. Can always cancel the second if get the first. Good luck.

this isn't a fluke with CVS -same thing happened to me in the Richmond, VA area for our Saturday Magic sailing. Thank God Walgreens had spots available for us yesterday. have a Plan B, especially if CVS is your Plan A. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I did a rapid test at CVS yesterday for my Saturday cruise.  I had results in 1 hour.  My backup plan was to simply get one of the at home tests if needed.

I have a question for you. Where you able to schedule the rapid test online or did you have to call? There are none available in my area on their website.

1 minute ago, Mandar13077 said:

I have a question for you. Where you able to schedule the rapid test online or did you have to call? There are none available in my area on their website.

CVS and Walgreens have online scheduling. 

4 minutes ago, Mandar13077 said:

Online.

No, I monitor covid cases for my workplace and nothing has lead me to believe the if you test positive, that you are invited back for a re-test routinely. If you test positive, unless you develop evidence that it's false, it's assume to be true. And pharmacies/doctor's offices/urgent cares don't care for covid positive people to show up just in case it was false. I would think you would call your doctor at that point and ask for guidance. But no, I wouldn't test positive at Walgreens and then show up at CVS the next day. Presumably, you have covid and are contagious!

I think it depends on your area.  Since we have fly across the country, I had decided weeks ago to make testing appointments at our local doctor's office, but also have a Walgreens type backup plan (because doctor's office takes 1 - 3 days for results). 

When I tried to find an online appointment (of any kind, not just rapid) at any of the local drug stores, no appointments were available at all.  Thinking it was a glitch, I called one near me, and was told there is a shortage of testing supplies.  I was not able to find any tentative options should we need a re-test.  

Fortunately, our tests were administered yesterday and 2 out of the 3 of us already received negative results in the last hour or so.  It ended up being just over 24 hours turnaround time.