Bahamas require eligible cruisers to be vaccinated even on Private Islands

kleibo

Wanted to share this article I just came across.  I’m not sure if this will impact any Carnival cruises as my guess would be the 5% unvaccinated were children under 12, but wanted to share as I thought it was interesting that it includes Private Islands as well.  We are scheduled on the 9/19 Pride and already had Grand Turk swapped for Bimini, my guess was because Grand Turk was requiring full vaccination.  Will be interesting to see what they do with the itinerary.

https://wdwnt.com/2021/08/new-restriction-in-the-bahamas-requires-all-eligible-cruise-passengers-to-be-fully-vaccinated-even-on-private-islands/

• Like 2

Steelers - We posted at the same time.  I'm on the 10/10 Pride Sailing and now have Nassau, Princess Cays and Freeport.  I'm at a total loss.

I'd take the fully vaxxed adult cruise though with only kids being unvaxxed

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kleibo said:

Steelers - We posted at the same time.  I'm on the 10/10 Pride Sailing and now have Nassau, Princess Cays and Freeport.  I'm at a total loss.

I'd take the fully vaxxed adult cruise though with only kids being unvaxxed

Haha too funny, great minds think alike!  Yea i really wish they would reinstate Grand Turk, its one of our favorite places and one of the reasons we booked this itinerary.  The only constant is change right?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Babr said:

But doesn’t that go right back to the Florid law? If they can’t require proof of vaccination and can’t allow any exceptions, doesn’t that present a problem?

Shouldn’t. The cruise line can let whoever on board they want but Bahamas isn’t going to let them off in their country even those private island that the cruise lines use. That means fewer ticket sales to water parks on places like Coco Cay, etc. This may make some cruise lines decide to exclude young kids and the unvaccinated. Money speaks louder than angry mamas. 

• Like 1

Just now, zeroed said:

Shouldn’t. The cruise line can let whoever on board they want but Bahamas isn’t going to let them off in their country even those private island that the cruise lines use. That means fewer ticket sales to water parks on places like Coco Cay, etc. This may make some cruise lines decide to exclude young kids and the unvaccinated. Money speaks louder than angry mamas. 

I read on another forum somewhere that the ship had to present a manifest of fully vaccinated passengers to be allowed port entry. Angry mamas may not have a voice, in that case. Sail with fully vaccinated passengers or don’t come.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

I read on another forum somewhere that the ship had to present a manifest of fully vaccinated passengers to be allowed port entry. Angry mamas may not have a voice, in that case. Sail with fully vaccinated passengers or don’t come.

YUP. If some of the most pristine and fun private ports of call in the Bahamas aren't enough to convince you to get vaccinated, then nothing will and it's time for you to stay home.

People over the age of 12 have had MONTHS of carrots to convince them to get vaccinated, and now it's time for the sticks. I feel bad for the very small minority over the age of 12 that can't get vaccinated, but hopefully they're level-headed enough to realize that a cruise isn't a safe space for them at this point either.

Hopefully more countries will take this same stance. 

Edited by keels81
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Babr said:

Not sure if you are getting at same as I've read. Mine said they send a list of vaccinated pax to the port. Now a foreign country has a list of who is vaccinated ... for those worried about who has their personal medical information. Bahamas will have this.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not sure if you are getting at same as I've read. Mine said they send a list of vaccinated pax to the port. Now a foreign country has a list of who is vaccinated ... for those worried about who has their personal medical information. Bahamas will have this.

Click the link above and read it again. Note Item #4 with  the heading Cruise Ships 24A. Submit a manifest of passengers and crew. Manifest means a a list of everyone on board.

All passengers over 12 must be vaccinated except those with medical limitations. That means someone who can’t take it, say a heart transplant patient for instance.

It appears that children under 12 will be the only ones exempt. Any

unvaccinated teens or adults will not sail. This order is in effect until November so I don’t know that it will have much impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babr said:

But doesn’t that go right back to the Florid law? If they can’t require proof of vaccination and can’t allow any exceptions, doesn’t that present a problem?

That "law" was overturned by a federal court, so it's not in effect any more. However, that decision is going to be appealed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-appeals-ruling-allowing-cruise-use-vaccine-passports-2021-08-09/

Edited by groundloop
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

That "law" was overturned by a federal court, so it's not in effect any more. However, that decision is going to be appealed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-appeals-ruling-allowing-cruise-use-vaccine-passports-2021-08-09/

Thanks, hard to keep up with all the legal wrangling and its implications.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Babr said:

Click the link above and read it again. Note Item #4 with  the heading Cruise Ships 24A. Submit a manifest of passengers and crew. Manifest means a a list of everyone on board.

All passengers over 12 must be vaccinated except those with medical limitations. That means someone who can’t take it, say a heart transplant patient for instance.

It appears that children under 12 will be the only ones exempt. Any

unvaccinated teens or adults will not sail. This order is in effect until November so I don’t know that it will have much impact.

Not a clue why you are telling me what a manifest is. Odd reply.

My pt was all these folks upset about the usa government having their vaccination records ... now a foreign government will have it is what one of my groups is saying.

Do you not understand what I'm saying? Obviously not. Oh well. .. it's a rcl group saying now a foreign govt has your vaccination status. Some dont like sending your name and vaccination status to anyone .. no matter how its sent. 

Oh well doesnt matter to me. Sorry you missed my pt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

The Florida law was struck down by the courts, at least for now. Norwegian sued the Florida Surgeon General's office, and has been given an injunction that prevents Florida from enforcing it. Florida is of course appealing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think you're going to see all lines quickly go to the 100% vaxxed (less kids under 12) route.  The Bahamas holds a really big trump card.  Florida will fall in line as no politician is dumb enough to shut down cruising in that state given the current state of affairs.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Fireworks77 said:

That Florida law is BULL💩.  And since the Bahamian govt. is not controlled by the U.S. they can do what they want.  The Bahamian govt is extremely powerful since the cruise line private islands are mostly owned by them. They pretty much have the cruise lines by the 🎾🏀🏐.  Not to mention the several hundred million dollar investment underway to revamp the Nassau dock into a state of the art world class facility.  So, private industry will do what the US govt cant. Is to force more people to get the vax. And soon enough, kids 2-11 will allowed to be vax as well. 

Sure. The Bahamas can set their own requirements. But the cruise ships leave from Florida. They have to be in compliance before they get to the Bahamas or they can’t dock. 

Now exemptions are allowed for only those under 12, which likely means fewer. I was wondering if that would conflict with Florida, but it may not matter.

55 minutes ago, Fireworks77 said:

That Florida law is BULL💩.  And since the Bahamian govt. is not controlled by the U.S. they can do what they want.  The Bahamian govt is extremely powerful since the cruise line private islands are mostly owned by them. They pretty much have the cruise lines by the 🎾🏀🏐.  Not to mention the several hundred million dollar investment underway to revamp the Nassau dock into a state of the art world class facility.  So, private industry will do what the US govt cant. Is to force more people to get the vax. And soon enough, kids 2-11 will allowed to be vax as well. 

This is no different than Airlines having to prove vaccines for travel to certain countries.  They have to ask before you board.   They have been flying and asking all along but as long as the country requires it they are exempt from florida law. It is now out of Floridas controls since most cruiselines include a bahamian port.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zeroed said:

My understanding is that they are not even going to let ships into their ports or private islands unless everyone on the ship over 12 is vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

My understanding is that they are not even going to let ships into their ports or private islands unless everyone on the ship over 12 is vaccinated.

Yes, that is correct.

Puerto Rico will not allow the unvaccinated to disembark, but at least they will allow the ship to still call there (at least as of 8/19/21). The same is no longer true for The Bahamas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Not a clue why you are telling me what a manifest is. Odd reply.

My pt was all these folks upset about the usa government having their vaccination records ... now a foreign government will have it is what one of my groups is saying.

Do you not understand what I'm saying? Obviously not. Oh well. .. it's a rcl group saying now a foreign govt has your vaccination status. Some dont like sending your name and vaccination status to anyone .. no matter how its sent. 

Oh well doesnt matter to me. Sorry you missed my pt. 

foreign goverments have gotten vaccine data for years.  like the yellow fever vaccine requirement?

• Like 3

Just now, Thenagers said:

foreign goverments have gotten vaccine data for years.  like the yellow fever vaccine requirement?

Just because the US is only 50 percent  vaccine ready does not corelate to the rest of the world.  Yellow fever is not required here but if you go to certain countries it is.  We are only 1 country.  We can not require but others can,

1 hour ago, tidecat said:

Yes, that is correct.

Puerto Rico will not allow the unvaccinated to disembark, but at least they will allow the ship to still call there (at least as of 8/19/21). The same is no longer true for The Bahamas.

The Bahamas are just dominoes after the USVI announce the same two weeks earlier.

The Florida laws continue to be irrelevant.

• Like 2