CVS Rapid Antigen Test

12cruise2

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST is accepted by Holland America. 

If you go to Carnival board you can see how easy it is doing it at home. Make sure you buy the home test and not the self test. Our neighbor just used this service. He had a bad cold and wanted to be sure it was not Covid. (Just a cold) The proctor walks you through the process. He told us it was easy and took a load off his mind knowing he was ok. 

That is good to know as none of the pharmacies in my area offer a rapid test, only the PCR test.

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Has the website been updated with this information? I cant find it if it has. 

I hope this is true as it will save us time, money and the worries of the current 3 day rule. 

At the HAL web page under Heath at the top right of the page under fact/answers, there is the question “ can I use a home test?”  Yes, with explanation.  This is the first time I have seen this.  I think HAL is getting a lot of flack about the negative COVID requirement (from me too).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seagarsmoker said:

Has the website been updated with this information? I cant find it if it has. 

I hope this is true as it will save us time, money and the worries of the current 3 day rule. 

This is listed in the know before you go and frequently asked questions section under cruises from USA, Covid 19 testing. Hope that helps. 

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria: 

•  Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted.
  • The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests. 

Additional Home Test criteria:

• The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Loreto said:

At the HAL web page under Heath at the top right of the page under fact/answers, there is the question “ can I use a home test?”  Yes, with explanation.  This is the first time I have seen this.  I think HAL is getting a lot of flack about the negative COVID requirement (from me too).

With a lot more digging I found the reference cited above.  The direct link for me is https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

Edited by Btimmer

2 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Do you have a direct link?  I can't seem to find it anywhere on the HAL home page whether I'm logged in or not.

Hi Btimmer (from our Amazon cruise🙂)see post #55 from seasick sailor, it has the info from the web page.  the info is at the bottom of the page (under Health) then click on us sailings   and it is in FAQ under covid testing.

Karen

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Loreto said:

Hi Btimmer (from our Amazon cruise🙂)see post #55 from seasick sailor, it has the info from the web page.  the info is at the bottom of the page (under Health) then click on us sailings   and it is in FAQ under covid testing.

Karen

Karen, yes the Amazon cruise was terrific!!  I finally found the direct information on the HAL site at a link I posted above.  I continue to be amazed HAL would make it so difficult to find such important and basic information.

3 hours ago, Btimmer said:

Karen, yes the Amazon cruise was terrific!!  I finally found the direct information on the HAL site at a link I posted above.  I continue to be amazed HAL would make it so difficult to find such important and basic information.

Yes, it is buried at the very bottom!  I have spent all morning looking at potential home tests...very confusing!  Delta airlines made it very easy...they offer the Ellume home test with video observation that you can order at the Delta web site.  We may still drive the 45 miles to a CVS that does the rapid antigen test.  There is nothing in our desert area that offers a quick test.  So frustrating.

Karen

Two Points: 

1. It appears that all the Abbot tests were manufactured in February 2021 and will expire in February 2022. Others (Carnival CC) have called and they will not be making more until January 2022. so if you purchase them now they will have limited life. Unless of course there is another extension. 

I had purchased 6 of the Abbott tests (they have a stamped manufacture date of 2/5/2021)- which will cover us for the our scheduled cruises through January 2022. After that, I will need to buy additional sets for our foreign cruise / return flights in 2022/2023.

2. There is a second approved medically supervised home test available. 

Ellume

I read about in this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ellume-covid-home-test/

Like the Abbot test - need to make sure you order the correct version for travel/medical supervision. It appears to be more complex than the Abbott.

One note of interest for this test is the swab distance for this test "As you can see from the diagram above, you’ll be sticking a swab pretty far up both nostrils. It’s the “brain tickle” test you may have experienced during some PCR tests — I found it to be far more invasive than the Abbott version."

Note: My DW had to take the "brain tickle"version of this PCR test early in 2020 prior to surgery with the deep penetration swab. She almost cancelled her second required surgery if they did that test on her again. She now refuses to take ANY test that puts anything that far up her nostril again. Had to convince her that the new tests do not necessarily use the deep penetration her original test did.  This Ellume apparently does use the deep penetration version. 

2 hours ago, RGEDad said:

Two Points: 

1. It appears that all the Abbot tests were manufactured in February 2021 and will expire in February 2022. Others (Carnival CC) have called and they will not be making more until January 2022. so if you purchase them now they will have limited life. Unless of course there is another extension. 

I had purchased 6 of the Abbott tests (they have a stamped manufacture date of 2/5/2021)- which will cover us for the our scheduled cruises through January 2022. After that, I will need to buy additional sets for our foreign cruise / return flights in 2022/2023.

2. There is a second approved medically supervised home test available. 

Ellume

I read about in this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/ellume-covid-home-test/

Like the Abbot test - need to make sure you order the correct version for travel/medical supervision. It appears to be more complex than the Abbott.

One note of interest for this test is the swab distance for this test "As you can see from the diagram above, you’ll be sticking a swab pretty far up both nostrils. It’s the “brain tickle” test you may have experienced during some PCR tests — I found it to be far more invasive than the Abbott version."

Note: My DW had to take the "brain tickle"version of this PCR test early in 2020 prior to surgery with the deep penetration swab. She almost cancelled her second required surgery if they did that test on her again. She now refuses to take ANY test that puts anything that far up her nostril again. Had to convince her that the new tests do not necessarily use the deep penetration her original test did.  This Ellume apparently does use the deep penetration version. 

I found the Royal Caribbean web site more informative than HAL, naming specific tests and giving a web site to purchase them www.eMed.com.  I ordered the 6 pack and have been approved for shipping.  Delta Airlines also allows the purchase of the Binax Now AGcard home test or Ellume.  No one in our area carries either, only the self test.  I plan to make appointments at the nearest CVS (36 miles away) for Rapid Antigen Testing as well.  No pharmacies in my desert home do rapid testing.

I have communicated to HAL how incredibly stressful this has been.  They replied that requirements may change and it is an ever changing situation.

If the expiration date goes until Feb. 22, then I can use them for our Hawaii/Mexico cruise.  I am reluctant to book anything else in the future.  Our July Alaska cruise went well on the Nieuw Amsterdam with just the vaccination card.

Would anyone who has done a home test that needs to be medically observed (to meet the current needs of HAL) be willing to share more specific information of what's involved actually taking the test, the online observation process, how you set that up, etc.?  I for one would find it especially useful to know more details step by step and I think there may be many others out there who are having trouble finding any rapid tests in their area to perhaps know more.  Thank you so much.

Edited by 12cruise2
changed word

21 minutes ago, 12cruise2 said:

Would anyone who has done a home test that needs to be medically observed (to meet the current needs of HAL) be willing to share more specific information of what's involved actually taking the test, the online observation process, how you set that up, etc.?  I for one would find it especially useful to know more details step by step and I think there may be many others out there who are having trouble finding any rapid tests in their area to perhaps know more.  Thank you so much.

Hi there, 

Go to the Carnival boards. Look up this thread. It gives you A to Z everything you need to know. 

My BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag HOME TEST Experience

24 minutes ago, SFO PETER said:

I will try to use Google Spreadsheet to point you to Chamorro's post on Carnival regarding the BinaxNow Covid Home test.  Once you get to his post click on his vid eo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yrjZDahJY5hwmas7UdGhsdSSV3JpKQB1rZJ6jy9uLRw/edit#gid=0

I watched the video.  Thanks so much for posting this!  It was good to hear the interaction between the test proctor and Chamorro.

On 8/20/2021 at 8:46 AM, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you so much for your input.  Honestly, it's a guessing game.  If we're lucky, Walgreen's opens its appointments just after midnight for the day after that (mine here are usually full) AND the day after that.  Have to stay on top of emails, that I do, and texts.  And I did two PCR tests last fall for medical procedures at our doctor's office, and they both resulted in about 24 hours--same as others above.

Our local Walgreen's and RiteAid only do tests for "symptoms" and "exposure" cases.  

47 minutes ago, Colleen @ Sequim said:

I looked at that home test.  I don't trust the mail/fedEx delivery times to get it back within the 72 hours

Colleen--look at the Binax test above--it's a self-test MONITORED by a rep using your camera on your phone or computer; you get results on your computer or smartphone within 15 minutes best I understand, but you have to have ordered the test kit and have it on hand.  I'm not sure what test you're talking about getting results back in 72 hours.  And I'm not sure when you're sailing--I just looked at this thread quickly right now.

1 hour ago, Colleen @ Sequim said:

Our local Walgreen's and RiteAid only do tests for "symptoms" and "exposure" cases.  

The North Star Clinic(Lawrence Ave.) in Port Townsend does testing and you do not need to be a patient of their clinic.  People we know have used them and had results in 48 hours or less.  It sounds like they bill your insurance. 

2 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Don't you have any "symptoms?" . . . . . . . . . . .

So, on Thursday I say I have symptoms to get a free test at Walgreens.  Then on my health check in form when it says do you have symptoms....what do I say?  I have thought about that....