Onboard the AmaLyra 8/19 - 8/26

Wings55

Good morning,

I'm sitting in the lounge with coffee in hand and enjoying going through a lock on the Seine right now. We boarded yesterday around 2pm and watched the other passengers arrive. The ship was ready and waiting with all the staterooms ready before the promised 3pm deadline. As others have stated, masks are required while moving about the ship not not in the lounge or dining room. After the welcome meeting we we assigned our dinner table/table mates. We had met another couple in the lounge and the crew happily rearranged out seating assignments so we could share a table with our new friends. 

I'm not sure how often I'll be checking in but feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer. 

Oh, for those who may not be following my Passe Sanitair complaint thread 😉, it took us eight days to get our coveted QR codes. I would recommend you apply early. Having one makes life easier especially if you plan so spend a few days on your own before/after your cruise. I were stuck with hotel room service and we missed out on the cute Paris bistros. 

Paul 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to your review.  How many passengers on board,  and where are the majority from?  Any stories of really difficult travel hoops?

Enjoy your cruise!

RB 

2 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Looking forward to your review.  How many passengers on board,  and where are the majority from?  Any stories of really difficult travel hoops?

Enjoy your cruise!

RB 

The ship's capacity is 148 passengers and we have 76 guests on board this week. I haven't heard a break down of countries but it seems like it's mainly the US with a few Canadians too. We did hear of people who were supposed to make connections in Dallas but were rerouted due to bad weather in TX. Two couples didn't land until after we sailed so Ama arranged for a car to take them downstream to meet us. I believe it was close to 9pm before we stopped to let them board. Jane and I were having a drink the lounge when then came in and were served dinner. Needless to say, they were happy to have made it. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Coral said:

Looking forward to your reports on cruise or after if you don't have time to post on cruise.

Have an amazing trip!

@Wings55, I'm looking forward to your reports as well, have a great cruise, and hopefully when you get home you have time to post pictures.

7 hours ago, Daisi said:

@Wings55, I'm looking forward to your reports as well, have a great cruise, and hopefully when you get home you have time to post pictures.

@Daisi Pictures..? That may exceed my technical skills. Sending texts is a stretch for yours truly. 😉 I will say it's been very cloudy and we got rained on yesterday when we were in Honfluer; not a heavy rain but an umbrella was appreciated. Today we are headed to the Normandy beaches and I hope it stays dry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaroleLee said:

Question- Is there a clothes line in the bathroom to hang up our bathing suits?

Yes there is and I plan on using it one of these days. Laundry service is not inexpensive and it's hard to pack for an 18 day vacation without doing a little laundry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sunpsyche said:

Avidly following along as we’re on the AmaMagna next year and all info on the line is so helpful. 

As expected the staff has been exceedingly helpful and will to do anything to make our time on board more comfortable. We have one couple who arrived late due to airline issues. Their luggage didn't arrive with them on Thursday evening and it still hadn't shown up as of last night, Saturday. A few people have loaned them a few items of clothing and the crew has been laundering their things each day. 

• Like 1

A good Monday morning to all. 👋

The day visiting the Normandy beaches was a long one due to the bus rides however it was well worth it. The guides did a great job explaining the history of the invasion, the tactics used and the progress of the allied forces as the war progressed. It's a sobering to stand and look out over the thousands and thousands of white crosses representing the sacrifices of so many young men and women. Before we left there was a short program to commemorate all those heroes. A volunteer from the cemetery welcomed us, the anthem was played on the carillon bells followed by a reading. Two Korean vets from our group were chosen to place a flower bouquet at the foot of the statue and taps was played. The program ended after a few moments of silence. There were more than a few damp eyes while we walked back to our bus.  (..and now too.) 

Today Jane and I are biking in Rouen. Depending on how that goes, there may be a few tears today too. 😀

Paul

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

Today Jane and I are biking in Rouen. Depending on how that goes, there may be a few tears today too. 😀

Paul

Thanks for the lovely tribute to the Normandy beaches and cemetery.  As to the biking-induced tears: I hope they are only water leaking from your eyes and not bad things happening to muscles or tendons!!!

• I forgot to mention that many people on the AmyLyra are signed up for PCR COVID tests today because they do not have the French Passe Sanitaire and QR code. On Thursday about 2/3 of us will be leavening the AmaLyra and catching a TVR train to Lyon where we'll board the AmaKristina. Each person will need a P.S. or a recent COVID test to board the train. Some say a CDC vaccination card is sufficient but the Ama staff will not guarantee that. They also will not say a test is requireed but are letting people make up their own minds. Thankfully Jane and I have our P.S. codes so we did not need to have noses probed again. Whew!!
  • Like 2