Current gratuities breakdown

I think this is the current breakdown

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 

Dining Room: $6.25

Other Hotel Services: $4.70 

Total Standard Staterooms: $14.50 

32 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

What does it matter? The staff deserve every penny.

And more for great service.

33 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

What does it matter? The staff deserve every penny.

• Like 1

I've so rarely had a "good" room steward. They always did the bare minimum, but I can only remember one who went above and beyond.

Our last cruise we asked for a hard copy version of the compass and a full ice bucket.

Got the cruise compass, never saw the ice

1 hour ago, ryano said:

I think this is the current breakdown

Stateroom Attendant: $3.55 

Dining Room: $6.25

Other Hotel Services: $4.70 

Total Standard Staterooms: $14.50 

Thank you for ANSWERING the question without commentary. 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Most cruise lines seem to be moving away from designating tips and just having a flat per-day service charge. Much better, IMO. 

Now if they can just take it to the next level and move to tips-included, effectively eliminating them all together that will be perfect. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

Now if they can just take it to the next level and move to tips-included, effectively eliminating them all together that will be perfect. 

Tips included just means your cruise fare is higher. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

And the crew members pay taxes on the larger amount.

9 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Most cruise lines seem to be moving away from designating tips and just having a flat per-day service charge. Much better, IMO. 

There's a chance it might happen given celebrity and virgin (and maybe one other) include it. But Royal isn't competing with them and their target (families with young kids) tend to be more price sensitive so including it might make them seem way more expensive. 

I'm kinda ok with it as it is. Spreads out my money. Give that $100 a couple more months to earn interest in my savings account 😉😂

Service fee included doesn’t equate to a higher fare - it could just as easily simply be a slightly less profitable fare for the cruise line. Just like anything - competition drives prices. The goal is to offer a product just below the competition and have it perceived as equal or better. 

It’s really silly to me that we still consider it “tipping” - it’s not. Tips are something that are both at your discretion and paid by you to the person you choose to compensate. The fee collected goes to a pool that is allocated based on the discretion of the management. Not that I doubt they do not share 100% of the funds collected nor do I think that the best performers aren’t rewarded - but it ain’t a tip.

I will say this as well - if you go somewhere and the service is ALWAYS sub par and not to a standard that others are experiencing- it could be YOU are the issue and not the service. One offs happen - trends suggest a problem and no one else experiencing the trend suggest where the problem lies. 

It’s just like going to a highly rated restaurant that consistently gets rave reviews - you go 10 times and have 9 horrible meals and 1 ok one - it’s clear - the food is fine, it’s just not to your taste. Stop eating there and go somewhere else - but don’t rant how bad it is just because YOU don’t like it. 

On 8/20/2021 at 9:50 PM, neverbeenhere said:

My travel agent seems to always pay the base gratuity amount for me. 

I am a travel agent and have never received as much commission as the cost of the gratuities.  So if you have an agent that pays them, she must be working for fun and not money

I dont understand this fascination about Tips. For me a Tip is a reward for doing something above and beyond your core job. So i don't understand paying your gratuities before you cruise.......or experience said service. Tips is a cultural thing yet cruising is world wide. 

As for how much and when people pay, it should be a private matter for that individual. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2021 at 11:23 AM, smokeybandit said:

It's just a numbers game. Either they are paid at the beginning or at the end. The amount will still be the same.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I agree it should no longer be referred to as "Tips".

And called a Service Fee.

Paying in advance is not a tip..

It's not called tips.  It's called "gratuities".

The angst about gratuities is a little over the top.  Either pay it or don't, cruise or don't.