Sorry…another cheers tipping question

We got the RU1 deal, so cheers is baked into the fare. This is our first time with cheers and we’d never buy it at regular price as we aren’t big drinkers but the deal was too good.   A glass of wine each evening and a few specialty coffees will break us even easily. 

Do they add 18% to each ordered drink based on the menu price?  Or is it a flat 18% on the cheers costs, which in our case is kind of zero. We want to tip well and will do so with cash if that is better, as I’ve heard cash tips aren’t shared. 

• Like 1

It's 18% based on the cost, which for most people is 52.95 per day and for you is about 5.00 per day with the RU1 code.  Be thankful that the algorythm bestowed upon you the code.  Cash is better, with the RU1 code a dollar per alcoholic drink would be appropriate.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

We got the RU1 deal, so cheers is baked into the fare. This is our first time with cheers and we’d never buy it at regular price as we aren’t big drinkers but the deal was too good.   A glass of wine each evening and a few specialty coffees will break us even easily. 

Do they add 18% to each ordered drink based on the menu price?  Or is it a flat 18% on the cheers costs, which in our case is kind of zero. We want to tip well and will do so with cash if that is better, as I’ve heard cash tips aren’t shared. 

In most cases you are given a receipt for every drink to sign for, and it shows the included gratuity  amount plus gives you a line if you choose to add more. As long as you don't get too drunk on all those drinks, you should be able to decide on a drink-by-drink basis whether more $$ is in order.  We had Bottomless Bubbles and sometimes added an extra buck or two to our juice orders from the bar, sometimes did not.

We have the RU1 package too but will still be tipping $1-$2 extra with each order because after  all this crew has been through in the past year and a half I am happy to do so!   We also prepay our tips and then tip extra to those we have regular direct contact with.

Not to start a tipping debate….just merely stating what we “enjoy” doing and will continue to do…😁😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share the wealth.

A few dollars to me is just a few dollars, to some of these folks it can be a weeks wages in their home countries.

I'm not rich, but I am better off than most, so why not share a little.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

We have the RU1 package too but will still be tipping $1-$2 extra with each order because after  all this crew has been through in the past year and a half I am happy to do so!   We also prepay our tips and then tip extra to those we have regular direct contact with.

Not to start a tipping debate….just merely stating what we “enjoy” doing and will continue to do…😁😁

We always tip extra also - at least a couple of dollars on each drink.  But this time I plan to tip even more than usual for the same reason you are - my heart goes out to the crew who lost so much in the past year and a half. I was a member of the crew (or staff actually - gift shop mgr) way back in the 80's and I know how difficult it can be to be away from family and at the same time always have a smile on your face.  

My sister insists on tipping everyone who does anything for her - we get the strangest looks when we tip the omelet guy, the deli guy, etc.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

We always tip extra also - at least a couple of dollars on each drink.  But this time I plan to tip even more than usual for the same reason you are - my heart goes out to the crew who lost so much in the past year and a half. I was a member of the crew (or staff actually - gift shop mgr) way back in the 80's and I know how difficult it can be to be away from family and at the same time always have a smile on your face.  

My sister insists on tipping everyone who does anything for her - we get the strangest looks when we tip the omelet guy, the deli guy, etc.  

you and your sister are people after my own heart…..❤️❤️

19 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

Your default 18% gratuity is baked into your cruise fare.  You technically do not need to tip any further.

I highly recommend you tip above and beyond, say $1 per drink, to help both the staff (to show your appreciation) and yourself (by tipping, they will remember you and likely give you a slight edge in service over "that guy", if yaknowwhatimean.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Razor_Poke said:

16 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

In most cases you are given a receipt for every drink to sign for, and it shows the included gratuity  amount plus gives you a line if you choose to add more. As long as you don't get too drunk on all those drinks, you should be able to decide on a drink-by-drink basis whether more $$ is in order.  We had Bottomless Bubbles and sometimes added an extra buck or two to our juice orders from the bar, sometimes did not.

The CHEERS receipt does NOT show a recommended gratuity amount.  The 18% on a full price CHEERS package works out to be about $9 per day will would be spread over all beverages ordered a day.  On a typical day, I had three bottles of water, three lattes,  8 alcoholic beverages.  If I did not add extra, I would have tipped 68 cents per drink under the CHEERS program.  I always add $1 

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 12:15 AM, Elaine5715 said:

The CHEERS receipt does NOT show a recommended gratuity amount.  The 18% on a full price CHEERS package works out to be about $9 per day will would be spread over all beverages ordered a day.  On a typical day, I had three bottles of water, three lattes,  8 alcoholic beverages.  If I did not add extra, I would have tipped 68 cents per drink under the CHEERS program.  I always add $1 

There's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with someone not tipping above and beyond what is required. I truly don't know how the tipping is split up on the cruise ship but typically my auto gratuities end up being between $300 and $400 for a week for 2 people. If I was on a non-cruise vacation, I have trouble seeing myself spending more than $200 in tips on a week for 2. So, yeah, 1.5-2 x what normal tips would cost, I feel like I have probably paid enough. 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2021 at 2:16 AM, Razor_Poke said:

We just got back from Horizon last week with the RU3 Cheers code, and each receipt we signed already showed gratuity after drink price. It's built into the total charge already, but then a negative charge below since your package already covered it, so you effectively sign a "$0.00" receipt. But you are always welcome to tip beyond the amount they charged you automatically.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

There's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with someone not tipping above and beyond what is required. I truly don't know how the tipping is split up on the cruise ship but typically my auto gratuities end up being between $300 and $400 for a week for 2 people. If I was on a non-cruise vacation, I have trouble seeing myself spending more than $200 in tips on a week for 2. So, yeah, 1.5-2 x what normal tips would cost, I feel like I have probably paid enough. 

Are you saying 68 cents a drink is good enough?

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Are you saying 68 cents a drink is good enough?

i don’t have 14 drinks a day on my cruises. Most cruise days if I had the package would be 1-2 drinks in afternoon. 1-2 pre dinner cocktails, and 2 glasses of wine with dinner. Maybe one latte during the day. So talking a total of 5-7 drinks. So that’s $1.35-$1,89 a drink. If my average drink price is $8, the 18% tip on that is $1.44. So yes, that is enough.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

i don’t have 14 drinks a day on my cruises. Most cruise days if I had the package would be 1-2 drinks in afternoon. 1-2 pre dinner cocktails, and 2 glasses of wine with dinner. Maybe one latte during the day. So talking a total of 5-7 drinks. So that’s $1.35-$1,89 a drink. If my average drink price is $8, the 18% tip on that is $1.44. So yes, that is enough.

The average drink price is $10.95 which makes the tip $1.97 so as long as you have 4 daily drinks you are indeed tipping out 18%. That is why I included my count in the math.  If CHEERS folks, order 1 drink...great, if they order 4 drinks okay., if they order 15 drinks, not okay, if they order 20 drinks, not cool.  I watched a ton of folks not add a thing to the receipt.  I was also greeted by name at each regular beverage stop, got called out ("you want latte") when there was a line, got a heavy pour of caramel in my lattes, updates on the availability of ting when I was nearby, never without a fresh drink, and in general, excellent service.  The explanation is because people constantly complain that when on CHEEERS, they get poor service.  I don't.

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

.  If CHEERS folks, order 1 drink...great, if they order 4 drinks okay., if they order 15 drinks, not okay, if they order 20 drinks, not cool.  I watched a ton of folks not add a thing to the receipt. 

Cheers is sold as all inclusive beverage program with gratuity included. If you enjoy handing out dollar bills every where you go and you feel that you get better service doing that, great for you. If someone pays for cheers and pays just the included gratuity, there's also nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure this doesn't work as in, you get your first 5 drinks and those bartenders get an 18% gratuity; and then no bartender gets any more the rest of the day. Pretty sure the cheers gratuity is split among the bartender pool. So if 1,000 people on a cruise purchase cheers, then the bartenders all get an extra $9,000+ daily split between them. If Carnival sells a product that with a set gratuity, there's no obligation to pay additional. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Cheers is sold as all inclusive beverage program with gratuity included. If you enjoy handing out dollar bills every where you go and you feel that you get better service doing that, great for you. If someone pays for cheers and pays just the included gratuity, there's also nothing wrong with that. I'm pretty sure this doesn't work as in, you get your first 5 drinks and those bartenders get an 18% gratuity; and then no bartender gets any more the rest of the day. Pretty sure the cheers gratuity is split among the bartender pool. So if 1,000 people on a cruise purchase cheers, then the bartenders all get an extra $9,000+ daily split between them. If Carnival sells a product that with a set gratuity, there's no obligation to pay additional. 

Yet there are people who are spring loaded to grab a hand full of cash and toss it around at the slightest provocation. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Must be an endorphin rush for them. 

• Like 2

Does anyone know how tips are allocated? For instance if we charge to the room are they added and split amongst the servers on shift at that time?  Will cash tips go directly to the individual server ?