Half (ish) capacity until Oct. 31?

KKB

I may have dreamt it--but did I read that Celebrity was planning on running at about 1/2 capacity until Oct. 31?

Or are there other restrictions with that deadline?

If that 50% is tied to the expiration of the CSO on October 31, I just don’t see all protocols and restriction disappearing, not with the way things are going now. Even if conditions have improved where you live, that is not so in the south.

12 minutes ago, Babr said:

If that 50% is tied to the expiration of the CSO on October 31, I just don’t see all protocols and restriction disappearing, not with the way things are going now. Even if conditions have improved where you live, that is not so in the south.

Oh I fully realize extensions could be made...just trying to remember if I was remembering things correctly.

23 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

I’m not sure of Celebrity’s official response to this but even if capacity was capped at 50%, ships are struggling to reach even that target. 

True--it appears only a handful of ships closed bookings due to numbers this summer, and fall is low season comparativley.

I have heard that there has been on decline on the number of passengers on the Edge in the last couple of weeks.  We are booked in October and currently the Suites are less than 50% booked and I thought they had been sailing with Suites at 100%.  Move Up could fill some of those but doesn't add to the overall occupancy.

The current situation with the delta variant has many wondering if maybe delaying a few months  would be prudent.  

Posted (edited)

Current Edge Sailing (Aug 21st) is 883 booked passengers (info from the B2B2B thread).  That's roughly ~30% capacity.  As someone else mentioned, even if they had a 50% max sail limit, Celebrity is struggling to hit that amount.   I would expect it will be this way until the holiday season (Thanksgiving and XMAS/New Year's).

Edited by cdel71
edited for grammah!
  • Like 1

I wish we knew what the capacity limits were!  On our upcoming 9/3 Millennium cruise the bookings were removed from the website for awhile which makes me believe they were at whatever capacity they planned.  Then the bookings opened again, but there are only 4 suites available (as of yesterday).  I hear very different numbers of cruisers on some ships (like Millie) versus others (like Edge).  I wish Celebrity would advertise the planned capacity to help us make decisions!

Posted (edited)

What’s interesting about the last two 7 day Edge cruises and now the one embarking today is the majority of the passengers appear to be the more adventurous ones between 25-40 years old. For what it’s worth, we are in our late 60s and feel quite safe and our very happy to be cruising again with Celebrity!

Now maybe on the longer Equinox cruises sailing now, that’s not the case. But unlike cruises pre-COVID when seniors were the majority, that’s definitely not the case now on these 7 day cruises and until that changes, I think X will be sailing at these 30-40% levels for quite some time. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What’s interesting about the last two 7 day Edge cruises and now the one embarking today is the majority of the passengers appear to be the more adventurous ones between 25-40 years old. For what it’s worth, we are in our late 60s and feel quite safe and our very happy to be cruising again with Celebrity!

Now maybe on the longer Equinox cruises sailing now, that’s not the case. But unlike cruises pre-COVID when seniors were the majority, that’s definitely not the case now on these 7 day cruises and until that changes, I think X will be sailing at these 30-40% levels for quite some time. 😎

If I didn’t have a job, I’d go on alllll the Edge cruises. 

But then I’d be washing allll the dishes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Several travel companies (hotels, airlines, etc) reported this week that advance bookings for Fall travel have been declining for a few weeks and continue to drop. Southwest advised they will be further cutting flights, alerting those booked this Fall not to be surprised if they see schedule changes. And this is not due to the normal seasonal drop in traffic, but related to the Delta variant. 

Conventions that were scheduled earlier this year for Fall 2021 with the hope we’d be more “back to normal”  than we are now are enduring ever-changing protocols just like the cruise lines. 

The entire industry is in a two steps forward, one step back situation as the globe works to figure out how to operate before we’re lucky to be a post-pandemic state. 

5 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Several travel companies (hotels, airlines, etc) reported this week that advance bookings for Fall travel have been declining for a few weeks and continue to drop. Southwest advised they will be further cutting flights, alerting those booked this Fall not to be surprised if they see schedule changes. And this is not due to the normal seasonal drop in traffic, but related to the Delta variant. 

Conventions that were scheduled earlier this year for Fall 2021 with the hope we’d be more “back to normal”  than we are now are enduring ever-changing protocols just like the cruise lines. 

The entire industry is in a two steps forward, one step back situation as the globe works to figure out how to operate before we’re lucky to be a post-pandemic state. 

Yes, I suspected so.

Our friends asked me to look at a holiday cruise for them...the price is decent, tho one thing we AREN'T seeing is drastic fare drops for cruises at this point. They would rather sail with fewer paying more I suspect.

10 minutes ago, KKB said:

Yes, I suspected so.

Our friends asked me to look at a holiday cruise for them...the price is decent, tho one thing we AREN'T seeing is drastic fare drops for cruises at this point. They would rather sail with fewer paying more I suspect.

I’ve a trip planned from Boston to San Diego for Tgiving week, keeping fingers crossed.

40 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I’ve a trip planned from Boston to San Diego for Tgiving week, keeping fingers crossed.

I'm booking a Halloween week cruise before the end of the month.

Edge crew was so fantastic & LOVED cruising with so few!

12 minutes ago, KKB said:

I'm booking a Halloween week cruise before the end of the month.

Edge crew was so fantastic & LOVED cruising with so few!

Hope it happens and if so that you enjoy immensely!!

18 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I wish we knew what the capacity limits were!  On our upcoming 9/3 Millennium cruise the bookings were removed from the website for awhile which makes me believe they were at whatever capacity they planned.  Then the bookings opened again, but there are only 4 suites available (as of yesterday).  I hear very different numbers of cruisers on some ships (like Millie) versus others (like Edge).  I wish Celebrity would advertise the planned capacity to help us make decisions!

Millie is sailing at 43% capacity this week. It is very weird walking around and being in dining venues with few people around! However, I am very happy about it and feel much more comfortable than I thought I would. 

• Like 2