Telehealth Testing with BinaxNOW

I went ahead and ordered a two pack.  We're cruising at the end of Nov, but if they change to two days, we'll be in FL at the hotel in PC and don't want to have to chase it around.  It's worth the $70 to not have to worry about getting it later.  I got a two pack but it only asked for my name and didn't ask about anything else.  I know we can each set up an account to test on the app but the only options were I was ordering for myself or I was ordering for someone else.   I hope the third shot (we're eligible in Nov) makes a difference and/or they are testing at port for those that want to.   Oh, and I selected the travel out of country box because technically that's why we need them.

Edited by BND

The media is really starting to spread the news it appears but the good news is, Abbott is ramping up production and hiring 2000 more workers.  They want to produce 50 million test kits a month by October.  I did find it interesting that they reported the test cost "only 5 bucks".   

Edited by ryano

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for your information. We ended up getting a confirmation email last night around 8:30pm. It said "order received and we will send a confirmation once your item has been shipped." So I'm taking that to be we got approved. I know this will be an expensive backup but at least I have peace of mind.

Our email saying order received was last at 8:15. The order approved email came at 3:48am this morning. Ours is now shipped. Yes, we consider this expense an insurance policy, and yes, also a piece of mind.

• Like 1

I ordered my 6 pack on Tuesday night and it just arrived today.  The peace of mind knowing I have the tests on hand was worth the cost.  Now I don’t have to stress about finding a tester or worry my appointment will be cancelled.

• Like 3

I ordered a 2-pack from Optum last Saturday, but like an idiot, didn't put it on my HSA card.  It hadn't shipped as of yesterday, so I was able to cancel the order and place a new order on the HSA card.  I received my email confirmation yesterday, and shipping notification email this morning.  I should have it by tomorrow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cookmb said:

Now I don’t have to stress about finding a tester or worry my appointment will be cancelled.

Now we can all stress on not popping a positive as an asymptomatic carrier 🤣   lol, j/k.   

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, PCHENG said:

Glad to hear that the test kits can be used by others in my travel party.

So why is E-Med asking for name of the test takers?  I am concerned that E-Med will link the test taker's name to the test kits, and only those listed on the purchase form can use the test kits. 

My eMed 6 pack of tests were registered in my name and my husbands. None of the kits had any kind of stickers on them with our names or even expiration dates printed on them that I could see. The case box they were shipped in does have this list sticker on the outside:

image.thumb.jpeg.c67c463ee7041556e1235ef0d839cf19.jpeg

Hope it’s safe to assume that 2021-02-05 was the manufacture date and that 2021-10-05 is the original expiration date. I guess I need to contact eMed to confirm. 

We need for 10/30 and 2/4 cruises. I can also check the Lot # against the list on the sheet showing the lots that were extended to have a 12 mo exp date from date of manufacture.

Jane

Added info. Found this key for the symbols on label:

image.thumb.png.950e1c7dd4bbc1c28fd92d1581d0716c.png

That should mean 1 year exp date would be 2/5/22

Edited by JaneStarr
Add info
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

My eMed 6 pack of tests were registered in my name and my husbands. None of the kits had any kind of stickers on them with our names or even expiration dates printed on them that I could see. The case box they were shipped in does have this list sticker on the outside:

image.thumb.jpeg.c67c463ee7041556e1235ef0d839cf19.jpeg

Hope it’s safe to assume that 2021-10-05 was the manufacture date and that 2021-02-05 is the original expiration date. I guess I need to contact eMed to confirm. 

We need for 10/30 and 2/4 cruises. I can also check the Lot # against the list on the sheet showing the lots that were extended to have a 12 mo exp date from date of manufacture.

Jane

Compare your lot number to this list and it will give you the expiration date: 

https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case 01269955-COL-03030 BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Home Test Product Expiry Update - Customer Letter EN - US.pdf?hsLang=en

49 minutes ago, Tinkbelle87 said:

Thanks for the info. The header says exp dates extended for up to 12 mos (from date of manufacture), but my lot number says 2/5/21 production date expires on 1/5/2022. If so, that’s upsetting to me. Don’t really want 6 kits for just one cruise.  Will have to follow up on this with eMed. 

Jane

PS I wrote to the contact email on that Abbott letter.

Edited by JaneStarr
To add info

6 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

Thanks for the info. The header says exp dates extended for up to 12 mos (from date of manufacture), but my lot number says 2/5/21 production date expires on 1/5/2022. If so, that’s upsetting to me. Don’t really want 6 kits for just one cruise.  Will have to follow up on this with eMed. 

Yeah that has been the one big hang-up to this option. I'm lucky enough to have enough cruises planned to use them up. Some have mentioned selling their extras on their local facebook pages and such.

25 minutes ago, Tinkbelle87 said:

Yeah that has been the one big hang-up to this option. I'm lucky enough to have enough cruises planned to use them up. Some have mentioned selling their extras on their local facebook pages and such.

I actually just found this letter from the FDA on the eMed website dated April 6, 2021. It clearly says the expiration dates are extended to 12 months from manufacture date. I’m only somewhat reassured since maybe they had the dates programmed wrong in their system — based on the apparently erroneous info on the May 2021 sheet.

Why can’t anything be straightforward and stress-free when trying to jump through these Covid hoop? Sheesh!

EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?h

1 hour ago, JaneStarr said:

Jane

PS I wrote to the contact email on that Abbott letter.

I also ordered the 6 pack thinking I could use two now and the other four for cruises in January. I have the same lot as you and the expiration is 1/5/22 which is no good for me. The extension was for 3 months from original expiration date which doesn’t translate to one year from manufacture. Good luck with EMed customer service. I got nowhere with them on this issue. They said this is the only expiration date they have in stock. 

Just now, RosieRoo said:

I also ordered the 6 pack thinking I could use two now and the other four for cruises in January. I have the same lot as you and the expiration is 1/5/22 which is no good for me. The extension was for 3 months from original expiration date which doesn’t translate to one year from manufacture. Good luck with EMed customer service. I got nowhere with them on this issue. They said this is the only expiration date they have in stock. 

I think the problem is that the original Expiration date was supposed to be 9 mos from manufacture — so 11/5/21 from 2/5/21, but they somehow marked them with 10/5/21 exp dates (only 8 mos out) and then added a 3 mo extension to that incorrect date.  

I plan to ask the Exp date when we take our tests for the 10/30 cruise, and see what date shows up for the NAVICA tester.

I didn’t bother writing to eMed. My email was to Abbott. I’ll report back what I’m told

35 minutes ago, JaneStarr said:

I actually just found this letter from the FDA on the eMed website dated April 6, 2021. It clearly says the expiration dates are extended to 12 months from manufacture date. I’m only somewhat reassured since maybe they had the dates programmed wrong in their system — based on the apparently erroneous info on the May 2021 sheet.

Why can’t anything be straightforward and stress-free when trying to jump through these Covid hoop? Sheesh!

EUA-abbott-binaxNOW-Rev-2021-04-06.pdf?h

The only thing that I see that might hang-up the 12-months from manufacture date is that the letter with the lot numbers says they are allowed to extend expiration up to 12-months. I don't know why they would do this but perhaps Abbott decided not to do the full 12-months and that is why the new expiration dates come up short. 

My sister works in a lab that does quality assurance for COVID tests. She gets a sample from the lab that creates the testing material that she then tests. Perhaps the testing material is made earlier than the actual test and they make the manufacture date the date the test is made. This is all just conjecture of course trying to make sense of it all.

But it sounds like others have not been successful in extended the expiration to the full 12-months when they call emed.

I look forward to hearing what you find out from Abbott.

Edited by Tinkbelle87

The whole situation is just frustrating. They don’t tell you when the tests expire when you place your order. If in fact the expiration is 1/5/22 as the paperwork states then I’ve wasted my money on 4 tests I didn’t need. 

• Like 1

Another thing of note I just noticed in the Abbott letter, it says this: 

"Future extensions may be communicated, as more data becomes available."

So there is a chance that they could extend the expiration again, based on the data they acquire in the future about stability of the test. 

On 8/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, pasodancer said:

That is super great news - seems like these 2 companies (emed & Optum) are really on top of things - great customer service, fast shipping, quality product, etc.  Wouldn't it be nice if all businesses were like that!   Thank you for the update!

Agreed.  Just want to say I'm thankful for this thread because I was stressing about securing testing before my upcoming cruise.  From what I learned here, I went ahead and ordered from Emed.  🙂

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Agreed.  Just want to say I'm thankful for this thread because I was stressing about securing testing before my upcoming cruise.  From what I learned here, I went ahead and ordered from Emed.  🙂

I ordered the 2 pack from Optum. I ordered Sat. and it shipped today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SMS2 said:

I ordered a 2-pack from Optum last Saturday, but like an idiot, didn't put it on my HSA card.  It hadn't shipped as of yesterday, so I was able to cancel the order and place a new order on the HSA card.  I received my email confirmation yesterday, and shipping notification email this morning.  I should have it by tomorrow.

Check how your HSA is set up. I too forgot to use my card when ordering from Optum, but my HSA allows me to submit online for reimbursement of eligible expenses. I did so and they debited the HSA account for the appropriate amount and did a direct deposit to my checking account for the same amount.

And I'm also thankful for this thread as it's been so helpful! I've just done my PCR swab collection at CVS for a Sunday cruise; the BinaxNOW packs are in the cupboard, just in case...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RosieRoo said:

The whole situation is just frustrating. They don’t tell you when the tests expire when you place your order. If in fact the expiration is 1/5/22 as the paperwork states then I’ve wasted my money on 4 tests I didn’t need. 

I feel you pain. I have 5 I don't need.  Lol.   I was going to order the two pack but they were out of stock at Optum and couldn't tell me when they would have more.   I ordered the six pack from eMed and once approved Optum had them back in stock again.  I plan on selling them 

• Like 1