Princess cruises in UK - can we still only do ship's shore excursions?

Hello all - I'm sure the answer is 'yes' as I've not seen anything to suggest otherwise, but what do you think the chances are that the rules will change and that Princess will let us off the ship under our own steam anytime soon?

We're on the Regal on 23rd September stopping at Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow.  The rules have changed considerably since the cruises were announced so I wonder if the company will make any changes? 

I'm sure the most important consideration for the ship is controlling our potential contacts with others onshore and the need to keep us all, if not in a bubble, then within an acceptable envelope of contact risk.  But it would be nice if a bit of flexibility were possible....

So true... of late,  policy changes are like a yo yo or like the weather (just wait 5 minutes). Does anyone on you Roll Call know of any changes?

If you called Princess, I am not sure you would get the same response ( as many of us have found out).

Posted (edited)

Princess has lifted restrictions but please remember that individual ports can impose restrictions. Belfast has just announced that independent travel will not be permitted from cruise ships.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/08/20/news/-frustration-and-tears-as-cruise-passengers-barred-from-belfast-under-covid-health-guidelines-2423242/?fbclid=IwAR366BkjaryFxrVKatmD1xITahBWHGdQ-aJH5QKyUiO9YOwvqzsaLatpGMU

Edited by dwhe

Apparently even though some have had e-mails from Princess saying you can get off the ship independently on Seacation cruises there is some confusion with regards to Belfast apparently reported in Irish News Celebrity have called there and the port authorities have refused to let anyone off the ship unless on a cruise line excursion.

6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Apparently even though some have had e-mails from Princess saying you can get off the ship independently on Seacation cruises there is some confusion with regards to Belfast apparently reported in Irish News Celebrity have called there and the port authorities have refused to let anyone off the ship unless on a cruise line excursion.

That is disappointing. Hopefully, the policy will  change in time.

It is to be noted that Celebrity and MSC did not have all fully vaccinated people on board their ships whereas Princess does. The report did say they will be looking at each case individually however it seems a waiting game. 

8 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It is to be noted that Celebrity and MSC did not have all fully vaccinated people on board their ships whereas Princess does. The report did say they will be looking at each case individually however it seems a waiting game. 

I've read the same thing ie they are reviewing each ship and there has to be an agreement in place between the ship and the port. My thoughts are that the Ship was a bit hasty in saying they could get off before the port agreed to it hence they said "No".

I'm on the Regal on the 1st and our only stop is Belfast on the 3rd of Sept. 

I did have tickets booked for the Titanic museum with the ship. But on hearing we "could" get off on our own i booked tickets with the museum direct. 4 tickets for the price of 1 with Princess, no brainer.....

I'm really hope this is resolved by then, either way i will report back on here what happened when we get there.  

On 8/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, busymumofthree said:

Hello all - I'm sure the answer is 'yes' as I've not seen anything to suggest otherwise, but what do you think the chances are that the rules will change and that Princess will let us off the ship under our own steam anytime soon?

We're on the Regal on 23rd September stopping at Liverpool, Belfast and Glasgow.  The rules have changed considerably since the cruises were announced so I wonder if the company will make any changes? 

I'm sure the most important consideration for the ship is controlling our potential contacts with others onshore and the need to keep us all, if not in a bubble, then within an acceptable envelope of contact risk.  But it would be nice if a bit of flexibility were possible....

We are on Regal Princess from 30 September and had an email last week telling us that we are able to go off the ship independently and do not have to do Princess shore excursions.

20 hours ago, minikiss said:

I've read the same thing ie they are reviewing each ship and there has to be an agreement in place between the ship and the port. My thoughts are that the Ship was a bit hasty in saying they could get off before the port agreed to it hence they said "No".

I'm on the Regal on the 1st and our only stop is Belfast on the 3rd of Sept. 

I did have tickets booked for the Titanic museum with the ship. But on hearing we "could" get off on our own i booked tickets with the museum direct. 4 tickets for the price of 1 with Princess, no brainer.....

I'm really hope this is resolved by then, either way i will report back on here what happened when we get there.  

I’ve booked independent tickets for Titanic museum for my Sky Princess cruise on 28/09. I will be mightily miffed if we can’t go ashore 😡

At the moment the decision seems to be since last weeks reversal in decision that the only way you will be allowed off the ship is on a Princess excursion. There were rumours that they only stopped those getting off Celebrity and MSC independently was because not all passengers had been double vaccinated. If that is true whether they will change the decision for Princess as all passengers are double vaccinated nobody knows and will be up in the air until we actually cruise. 

2 hours ago, sasmisjas said:

I’ve booked independent tickets for Titanic museum for my Sky Princess cruise on 28/09. I will be mightily miffed if we can’t go ashore 😡

As said i'm there Friday next weeks so i will report back if i get off or not as likewise i'll be more than a little peev'd if they refuse to let me off. 

18 minutes ago, busymumofthree said:

Thanks for the replies everyone - I'm hopeful now but not counting on it 🤞

I popped over to our Roll Call - thanks for the suggestion, nini,  - and it appears to be true and I've seen this on the Princess website:

In accordance with health authority guidelines, fully vaccinated guests may choose to explore destinations independently, and should comply with all local guidance relating to social distancing and face masks.

I'm cautious about Belfast though so will watch this space...

58 minutes ago, minikiss said:

As said i'm there Friday next weeks so i will report back if i get off or not as likewise i'll be more than a little peev'd if they refuse to let me off. 

Princess might let you off but will Belfast welcome you ashore. Waiting for your report.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so today we stopped in Belfast and yes we got off without being on a ships tour. 

Princess had arranged for a local company to run a shuttle service. Sorry no idea how much as we did not use it.

Instead i pre booked a taxi from value cabs who promptly turned up at the requested time and took us to the titanic museum. Once we were done we used the free phone inside to call for them to collect us. The driver then took us to the peace wall and past the murals before dropping us back at the ship. 

I hope this calms a few nerves about whether you will get off or not here. X jules

• Like 1