Understanding buy one get one airfare

Looking at a cruise to Alaska next summer.  When I do a mock booking, the Buy one get one free airfare shows $425, but the cost of the trip goes up just over $1000??  That would make sense if I was paying airfare for both with taxes etc, but how am I getting one free?  Thanks!

Which room type are you booking?  If you're booking the "sail-away" room you may not be eligible for the airfare offer.  By taking the airfare offer it may be upgrading you to a 'regular' room and adding the gratuities for the drink and SDP packages.

Are you considering the 30% off and 5 free bonus perks with that BOGO airfare ?

That free airfare for the second guest there is still the taxes and TSA fees ?

NCL is like a travel agent broker buying fares at a discount -

Nobody including NCL pays full fare -

Airlines are happy to fill an empty seat with any kind of revenue -

A case where the sum of the parts does not meet the full enchilada ?

Very astute to notice that difference - aye a $1000 difference apples and other fruits - - - 

As previously posted by hallux same cabin same deal same exact everything ?

when shopping on the consumer website and you select air city in the drop down box it will show the  average flight pricing per person based on the promo above the drop down box, when you get to the next screen (cabin selection) it will add the flights, airport transfers and the free at sea gratuities (none of which are included in total until you get to cabin selection screen).  You can then pull up the pricing summary from the dialogue box at the right and see the breakdown per person - it is quite possible for the air + transfers + Free at sea offer gratuities on beverage and dining packages to add up to over $1000 depending on the sailing length

Then again it is possible, depending on where you are flying from that the air supplement for guest 1 is actually $850 ($425pp) + round trip transfers of $50pp/$100 total (assuming a round trip Seattle Cruise) which would mean $950 for air/transfers. 

Without knowing exact ship/date/air gateway and what Free@Sea offers you have chosen it's hard to give you exact answers

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

it will add the flights, airport transfers and the free at sea gratuities

Ah, yes, I forgot that none of those show up until you move on to the next screen.  That certainly explains it (I'm not the OP, but my response above was close!)...

I was looking at all options on regular room, not Sail Away.  Drink package raised it 300, dining package 160, airfare 1000.  I didn't look at the details though.  I will check that out.  Thanks for your help!  

I've never added the airfare to my cruise, so this whole thing is just making me a little/lot nervous.  

Ok so I just did a mock booking again.  It says $424 when I choose the airport, then on my details it says $849 for passenger #1 and $100 each for transfers.   I'm flying from Cleveland for an Alaskan cruise so I'm not even saying $849 is a bad price, just a little misleading information.  Thank you again to all of you for your help!  Now I just need to decide if I can let go of my control to have NCL book the flights 🙃

2 hours ago, amyben40 said:

Ok so I just did a mock booking again.  It says $424 when I choose the airport, then on my details it says $849 for passenger #1 and $100 each for transfers.   I'm flying from Cleveland for an Alaskan cruise so I'm not even saying $849 is a bad price, just a little misleading information.  Thank you again to all of you for your help!  Now I just need to decide if I can let go of my control to have NCL book the flights 🙃

When you selected Cleveland as your airport, it calculates and shows a "per person" price to be consistent with the rest of the pricing on that screen (note the column header at the top of the screen), even though they later lump the entire airfare into the first person.  

In the details above where you selected Cleveland it says...

• Price shown is an average for all guests, and includes roundtrip flights, and air taxes, fees and surcharges. Transfers to and from the port will be added to your booking.