Has anyone had this happen to them on an upcoming cruise?

Received word Monday afternoon that on our upcoming Oasis cruise out of Bayonne that we no longer have our Cat. 2D stateroom, and that we will be notified of the  new cabin very soon. Reason they stated, is that they need to space out the cabins. This is unacceptable where this was booked well over a year ago and paid for the "You Select Your Cabin" price, and not "We Select Your Cabin". Tried to find out why and where the cabin will now be located but the RCI Group Department CLOSED while waiting on hold to speak to them for almost 90 minutes. Has anyone else run into this with their cruise only about twenty days away, if so, what was your outcome?

Thanks in advance to those who reply.

11 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Received word Monday afternoon that on our upcoming Oasis cruise out of Bayonne that we no longer have our Cat. 2D stateroom, and that we will be notified of the  new cabin very soon. Reason they stated, is that they need to space out the cabins. This is unacceptable where this was booked well over a year ago and paid for the "You Select Your Cabin" price, and not "We Select Your Cabin". Tried to find out why and where the cabin will now be located but the RCI Group Department CLOSED while waiting on hold to speak to them for almost 90 minutes. Has anyone else run into this with their cruise only about twenty days away, if so, what was your outcome?

6 minutes ago, Auntiemomo said:

That would stink, especially if you were in a B2B stateroom and be assigned a different room on each leg of the B2B.

I am sure that he would have mentioned if this were a B2B.

13 minutes ago, DJLDRUMS said:

I am sure the RCCL should throw out the protocols and safety of the rest of the passengers, crew, and industry to have to receive the exact cruise booked prior to a global pandemic. Get over it, be flexible or cancel.

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am sure that he would have mentioned if this were a B2B.

Nope, no back to back this time. TA couldn't give me any information because the RCI Group Dept. closed while I was waiting on hold to speak to get through. So, was advised to call back Tuesday morning. So the clock will start ticking Tuesday morning .

Edited by DJLDRUMS
added more information

That is super annoying.  😠

We just booked on Anthem out of Bayonne for April and already I am thinking about back up plans if it gets cancelled or major changes.  It under the "Cruise with Confidence" so we will apply future cruise credit to one for the summer.  Everything is SO fluid right now and every state is implementing different restrictions on the cruises.

Hope they at least offer some concessions??

Good luck and sending you positive vibes.

1 hour ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Has anyone else run into this with their cruise only about twenty days away, if so, what was your outcome?

I am on Allure, Sept 5 and someone on a social media group for the sailing said the exact same thing happened to them -- they paid for a specific cabin and got this letter that they're going to be moved for spacing.  

While we've been working around the clock to get our ships back to cruising, we've had to change how our guests are spaced out onboard to ensure proper social distancing. As a result, your original stateroom is no longer available. We're sorry for the last-minute change, but there's no need to worry. You'll be relocated to a like-for-like stateroom, and all your amenities will remain the same

No outcome to report yet from them.  Another person from the same sailing commented they also got the same email but already got their new room assigned.

7 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Has anyone else run into this with their cruise only about twenty days away, if so, what was your outcome?

Some posters sailing in Europe recently reported exactly this scenario, one on Harmony and the other on Anthem. Neither was pleased with the newly allocated cabin. In the Anthem case, the poster was not at all satisfied with the location of the "new" cabin and was eventually able to get it switched to one that was more satisfactory but still not as good as the original one.

Check the new one as soon as you receive the allocation and if it's not to your satisfaction get in touch with Royal immediately either directly or through your TA to try and switch it to something more suitable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

I'm on the Sept. 5 sail and no such announcement.  Mine is a CP balcony.

Hey, maybe you'll get a JS.🙏

3 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I know, I would take an interior cabin over Bolero's! 🙂

Well, I'd expect the category I booked, but if I need to be moved, I'd suck it up

• Like 4

I got the email yesterday for my 9/19 sailing on Allure.  My mother did as well and we had cabins that were two doors down from each other.  Reached out to my TA who contacted RC and they said this is a very new process and to please wait to see if/when our cabin is moved.  It does state you would be moved to a like-for-like stateroom so not holding out much hope for a huge upgrade.  Just hoping we get placed near each other.

11 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

It is possible you will get an upgrade.

This is what happened to us.  We were upgraded from and inside to one of the better suites.  I was stunned!  I noticed that out cabin number was suddenly different but we were literally leaving for the airport and I had no time to inquire about it.  (We too had paid to select our own cabin.)  It was a Med cruise that included 3 nights in Jerusalem/Israel.  Because of the itinerary they had many large groups of first-time cruisers on board.  I believe the reason for our unbelievable upgrade was that they did not want to separate anyone who was part of a group.  We were traveling independently and had booked one of the few inside cabins in the same area so they "picked on" us.  Moral of long (sorry) story is to wait and see if you have something to complain about.

• Like 3

So how about you issue me OBC for the difference between sailaway and choosing my cabin...  I choose higher end balconies always, and close to elevators because of a family member's mobility issues. I also choose my cabin carefully to have the bed by the balcony so I can park a scooter in front of the couch. I choose a side of the ship for the views coming in and out of port. And I choose a balcony with an view.  I would be most unhappy with a random pick that ruined more than one of my criteria.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cookmb said:

I got the email yesterday for my 9/19 sailing on Allure.  My mother did as well and we had cabins that were two doors down from each other.  Reached out to my TA who contacted RC and they said this is a very new process and to please wait to see if/when our cabin is moved.  It does state you would be moved to a like-for-like stateroom so not holding out much hope for a huge upgrade.  Just hoping we get placed near each other.

See you onboard..we have 4 cabins booked on this cruise, no emails that I know of so far to any of us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

So how about you issue me OBC for the difference between sailaway and choosing my cabin...  I choose higher end balconies always, and close to elevators because of a family member's mobility issues. I also choose my cabin carefully to have the bed by the balcony so I can park a scooter in front of the couch. I choose a side of the ship for the views coming in and out of port. And I choose a balcony with an view.  I would be most unhappy with a random pick that ruined more than one of my criteria.

Sailing with the protocols that are being followed today is probably not for you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:49 PM, PTC DAWG said:

Sailing with the protocols that are being followed today is probably not for you. 

Not the same thing.  Protocols and procedures are fine.

This is failing to deliver what you paid for - which is extra money to choose your cabin. If you fail to set it up with the cabins spaced out, then you must offer me

- reduction in fare to putting me in a cabin I did not choose when I paid extra to choose

- offer to move me to a different cruise where I get to choose again

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Not the same thing.  Protocols and procedures are fine.

This is failing to deliver what you paid for - which is extra money to choose your cabin. If you fail to set it up with the cabins spaced out, then you must offer me

- reduction in fare to putting me in a cabin I did not choose when I paid extra to choose

- offer to move me to a different cruise where I get to choose again

Nobody knows what cabin they're being moved to....so it may be an upgrade?? I agree with a pp...be patient and see if there is even something worth complaining about before getting so upset about it.

• Like 2