Encore Glacier Viewing

If one does not have a balcony, are there enough outdoor viewing areas for glacier viewing? I am a little concerned with the amount of deck space that seems to be used for attractions or pay to enter areas, but the itinerary and timing of the Encore work best for me. I would rather be outside than in a lounge. Thanks!

There's The Waterfront, deck 8, wraps from the front elevator lobby around the back of the ship and back to the front elevator lobby.

The main sun deck might also be suitable, it was on the Bliss (nearly identical ship) when we traversed under the Lion's Gate Bridge into Vancouver.

32 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Do not forgot about the observation lounge that has all of the forward views

Except -

1 hour ago, Cruiser933 said:

I would rather be outside than in a lounge.

• Like 2

They will open up the bow (front) of deck 8 for the viewing. Will also serve hot chocolate and chicken broth, will have coffee with choice of alcohol available also.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Don't worry too much if you can't get prime real estate at the railing when the ship first arrives at Marjorie Glacier.  The ship will sit there for awhile and then turn around and sit there awhile again so both sides of the ship have plenty of time for viewing.  The masses will move on after awhile.  One time on the Pearl I climbed the rock wall while at the glacier.  😁

Edited by SomewhereGirl

There is plenty of public outdoor viewing space. The pool deck space is what got limited. you can see off the ship from the go cart track level but not laser tag is definitely limited. 

If you really want an up close view of the glacier, book the excursion. IMO, the best excursion option of the week (it also includes wildlife & other scenery viewing). Because of using a smaller vessel, we were able to get within 1/4 mile away from the glacier while the big ship was at least 2 miles away.

Here's a pic from our return to the big ship. Might be tough to see, but there are a lot of folks on the bow.

PXL_20210819_023001715.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joeflow80 said:

If you really want an up close view of the glacier, book the excursion. IMO, the best excursion option of the week (it also includes wildlife & other scenery viewing). Because of using a smaller vessel, we were able to get within 1/4 mile away from the glacier while the big ship was at least 2 miles away.

Here's a pic from our return to the big ship. Might be tough to see, but there are a lot of folks on the bow.

PXL_20210819_023001715.jpg

Which glacier are you talking about?

1 minute ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Which glacier are you talking about?

For this cruise, it was Dawes Glacier (up Endicott Arm).  Though pretty sure all cruises have some similar excursion that races ahead of the big ship to whichever glacier they are visiting.

Pic is from when we were leaving. Glacier is so big I couldn't get it all in one pic when we were close.

PXL_20210819_022212369.jpg

• Like 2

I will second that Glacier explorer tour. Hands down our best excursion while on the trip. You get in super close, but make sure to dress warmly. 

As for on the encore, they do open front bow of the ship so you can look. But the ships also does a 360 degree turn so you can see on all sides. 

I will say the encore is very large, so it can o ly get in so close. 

7 hours ago, KAYKAY121 said:

There is plenty of public outdoor viewing space. The pool deck space is what got limited. you can see off the ship from the go cart track level but not laser tag is definitely limited. 

Actually, the pool deck space is larger on the Encore than any other of her sister ships. 

We did the Tracy Arm Glacier Explorer tour in 2012 while on the Pearl (which also visited Glacier Bay) This was an all port time excursion that used the small boat to go from Juneau to the glacier and back. However it is similar to the one that leaves Juneau ahead of the cruise ship that visits Tracy Arm. This tour was the highlight of our cruise as we sat about 1/2 mile back from the face and saw several calvings they were both a sight to see and hear. Glacier Bay was also fun but we saw no calving.

34 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

Do they have a similar tour when you cruise in Glacier Bay?

No, but the viewing is, IMO, so much better you don't need to bother.  Glacier bay > Dawes/Endicott arm.

Just a word to the wise - if you want to do the small boat tour book it as soon as possible! We have done it twice on our own during long Juneau port days and it is spectacular! When I saw that it was an option with NCL on our scenic cruising day I was so excited. But when I went to book it, it was already full. They have very limited space and can only take a small group so BOOK EARLY. It is worth every penny!

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Actually, the pool deck space is larger on the Encore than any other of her sister ships. 

BUT it does get crowded out by the pool in the Caribbean. However, we  don't have to be in the rows right by the pool so we didn't have an issue. I am cruising on this ship again this December and again next September, the ship is AMAZING! Just meant that you can see from that area of the ship and the complaints are about pool deck and chairs. Because there are lots of complaints about that. 🙂