2022 World Cruise Cancelled....Zuiderdam to become WC Ship for 2023

boze9999

42 minutes ago, mauimacho said:

We were on the Zuiderdam for the Feb 2023 Hawaii, Tahiti 35 day and I can't say I'm too happy about the switch.

We agree.  Very disappointing. Curious as to why you don’t like the switch?  For us it is the increased smoking and the uncertainty about where they will stick us on the ship....

They did not mention that they also cancelled our April 2022 TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Rotterdam.  We were to arrive May 2nd, so apparently they wanted the ship (Volendam) to be there on May 1.  We are very disappointed as we’ve had this cancelled twice before.

Edited by ArizonatoFlorida

A couple weeks ago my TA mentioned that reservations were still available for the 2023 Seabourne WC due to some COVID cancellations. 

Approx. $500/ pp / diem for an Oceanside stateroom.

Just “food for thought” if accommodations are still available.

Be well.

Bob

12 hours ago, Mickb said:

I think is the beginning of the end for Volendam and Zaandam. Maybe Fred Olen will take them too.

This is my suspicion as well. Whether it is 2021 or 2025 I think these two ships will be on their way out of the fleet sooner rather than later. 

If anyone wants to give me between half and a whole billion dollars I will buy both and launch HAL 2.0 and restore all of our favorite things that HAL has changed over the years. Maybe we can pickup some of the other S and R class ships too. 

In all seriousness I am sorry for everyone who is disappointed by these changes. Hopefully things are much better worldwide in 2023 and you have an amazing cruise on the Zuiderdam. I only wish I could take the 4 months off and join you. 

3 hours ago, zgscl said:

This is my suspicion as well. Whether it is 2021 or 2025 I think these two ships will be on their way out of the fleet sooner rather than later. 

If anyone wants to give me between half and a whole billion dollars I will buy both and launch HAL 2.0 and restore all of our favorite things that HAL has changed over the years. Maybe we can pickup some of the other S and R class ships too. 

In all seriousness I am sorry for everyone who is disappointed by these changes. Hopefully things are much better worldwide in 2023 and you have an amazing cruise on the Zuiderdam. I only wish I could take the 4 months off and join you. 

Yes, it's hasta la vista Volendam and Zaandam, the rest of the fleet will merge into Princess and it's farewell Hal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Yes, it's hasta la vista Volendam and Zaandam, the rest of the fleet will merge into Princess and it's farewell Hal.

That is not what I want to happen but I can see the logic of that outcome.  It will be the end of mid-level cruising.  We will be forced into mass lines or luxury.  HAL has that special spot in between

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

That is not what I want to happen but I can see the logic of that outcome.  It will be the end of mid-level cruising.  We will be forced into mass lines or luxury.  HAL has that special spot in between

I think HAL did or could have that spot but over the last five years they have gone in a direction of blending in with the other mass market lines.  They decided to complete on price, a losing game if you want to be a step above mass market.

• Like 7

Just now, KirkNC said:

I think HAL did or could have that spot but over the last five years they have gone in a direction of blending in with the other mass market lines.  They decided to complete on price, a losing game if you want to be a step above mass market.

I think they still maintained a slate of itineraries that appealed to the mid-level.  I don't sail HAL for short mass market itineraries.  My biggest fear is the loss of those itineraries as they are not mass market products.  If so I will be traveling by other means

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think they still maintained a slate of itineraries that appealed to the mid-level.  I don't sail HAL for short mass market itineraries.  My biggest fear is the loss of those itineraries as they are not mass market products.  If so I will be traveling by other means

I agree, the Itineraries and crew are what differentiates them from the pack.  As they continue to add larger ships which are better suited for milk run cruises in Alaska and the Caribbean one has to wonder what happens to the longer more unique itineraries.    

• Like 5

Does anyone have any idea or prior experience about the order cabins will be assigned? We've been involved with ship to sister-ship changes which was straightforward. But, the Zaandam and Zuiderdam have different cabin categories. Who gets priority? Who's get's bumped up or down? I realize it's early on in the process. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TommyC said:

Does anyone have any idea or prior experience about the order cabins will be assigned? We've been involved with ship to sister-ship changes which was straightforward. But, the Zaandam and Zuiderdam have different cabin categories. Who gets priority? Who's get's bumped up or down? I realize it's early on in the process. Thanks.

Our roll call got moved from the Zuiderdam to the Volendam (same class of ship).  Generally speaking those in verandahs were moved to vista suites, Neptunes to Neptunes.  Some people got a better class of cabin, some didn’t.  I don’t recall anyone being bumped down but Zaandam has fewer verandahs that’s Zuiderdam so if there aren’t enough….  A few ended up with guarantees and no cabin assignment until later - unknown why.

There didn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason to the assignments - at least, none that any of us could decipher.  The cruise was frozen (inactive) until everyone was assigned so we had no idea of what order or priority assignments were done.  We all knew our cabin numbers on the same day IIRC.

We received an email from our TA this afternoon advising that the Zaandam 14-day Christmas cruise scheduled to depart FLL December 20, 2022 also is now cancelled. Someone posted earlier that they were advised Zaandam will be doing trans-canal then.

It’s early days so no harm done. I’m just disappointed because it was the only one scheduled to sail a full two-week itinerary encompassing both Christmas & New Years. (Not interested in making two 7-day cruises B/B).

No alternate itinerary offered to us, just a refund of our deposit (yes, please) or 110% of the cnx cruise fare as a future cruise credit.

6 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I could see the need to consolidate operations, given how few viable ports/itineraries there seem to be because of the pandemic.  But HAL has a great fleet of mid-size ships.  I bet a lot of ports would rather accept the mid-size ships than the larger ones.  Where the ships go, DH and I go.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, prescottbob said:

A couple weeks ago my TA mentioned that reservations were still available for the 2023 Seabourne WC due to some COVID cancellations. 

Approx. $500/ pp / diem for an Oceanside stateroom.

Just “food for thought” if accommodations are still available.

Be well.

Bob

Bob, the Seaborn WC was also just cancelled.

4 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

The Seabourn 2022 WC has been cancelled, but the Seabourn 2023 WC is still very much on.

My mistake, I thought he was referring to 2022 WC. I would like to do Seaborn WC, but only if it was a true World Cruise. They pay for shipping luggage onboard, but don’t offer the same service for return to US from London. 

11 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

The demise of HAL has been predicted by some for some time.  The cruise product that is offered by the two lines is different in some ways.  Take an Alaskan cruise on HAL.  Take an Alaskan cruise on Princess.  If one does not find a difference in the product, I'd be very surprised.  

And, then, let's consider entertainment offered on the two lines.......

• Like 1

I actually spoke with a contact at HAL a few weeks ago about the 2022 & 2023 GWV’s. She indicated to me that there were numerous clients booked for both and that HAL was holding back space on the 2023 sailing in case the 2022 sailing was cancelled. At this time ONLY full cruise bookings had been accepted, and neither had been open for segments to be individually booked, which also facilitate moving everyone to a different ship/sailing.  She did not indicate she knew a larger ship was in consideration, but with 2021 & 2022 both in the dustbin it makes sense.  

Depending on feedback they may revert to an R-Class for the 2024 GWV, or stick with a Vista. The Vista offer MANY upsides for passengers - her suites are larger and better appointed in general, they have true non-suite Verandah rooms, more dining and entertainment options, better thermal suite, etc. the downside is their larger passenger capacity, higher air draft, and 170’ extra in length may eliminate some port calls/docking locations that an R-Class vessels could have made easily.  We’re I to have chosen a Vista to sail the GWV it would have been Noordam due to her classic Crows Nest and her Library/Explorations Cafe, both more similar to the R-Class features loyal GWV guests would expect.

There are trade offs to everything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I actually spoke with a contact at HAL a few weeks ago about the 2022 & 2023 GWV’s. She indicated to me that there were numerous clients booked for both and that HAL was holding back space on the 2023 sailing in case the 2022 sailing was cancelled. At this time ONLY full cruise bookings had been accepted, and neither had been open for segments to be individually booked, which also facilitate moving everyone to a different ship/sailing.  She did not indicate she knew a larger ship was in consideration, but with 2021 & 2022 both in the dustbin it makes sense.  

Depending on feedback they may revert to an R-Class for the 2024 GWV, or stick with a Vista. The Vista offer MANY upsides for passengers - her suites are larger and better appointed in general, they have true non-suite Verandah rooms, more dining and entertainment options, better thermal suite, etc. the downside is their larger passenger capacity, higher air draft, and 170’ extra in length may eliminate some port calls/docking locations that an R-Class vessels could have made easily.  We’re I to have chosen a Vista to sail the GWV it would have been Noordam due to her classic Crows Nest and her Library/Explorations Cafe, both more similar to the R-Class features loyal GWV guests would expect.

It makes sense to me to use a larger ship for the 2023 WC due to two canceled that have rolled over, however, as you say, a significant number of those clients were signed up for both.  It would not make sense after 2023 as I don’t believe they can fill the ship.  

Late yesterday, we received our cruise cancellation e-mail from HAL for the 29 day Baltic cruise on the Volendam that was to begin April 16 with a TA from FLL. 

Disappointing, of course; plus, we had planned to meet up with longtime friends in 2 Danish ports.

36 minutes ago, dawei said:

Late yesterday, we received our cruise cancellation e-mail from HAL for the 29 day Baltic cruise on the Volendam that was to begin April 16 with a TA from FLL. 

Disappointing, of course; plus, we had planned to meet up with longtime friends in 2 Danish ports.

I saw that disappear from the website yesterday..  So sorry you aren't able to go.  I guess the Baltics are still struggling with covid and it may be difficult to get dock workers

55 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I saw that disappear from the website yesterday..  So sorry you aren't able to go.  I guess the Baltics are still struggling with covid and it may be difficult to get dock workers

No, only the TA with the Baltics has been canceled, Volendam will restart on 1 May 2022 from Rotterdam to the Baltics but not from FLL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

So the Zuiderdam has done away with both the Crows Nest and the library?  Good to know, so I can avoid her.  The idea of taking a long voyage without both of those venues would, for me, be a non-starter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

So the Zuiderdam has done away with both the Crows Nest and the library?  Good to know, so I can avoid her.  The idea of taking a long voyage without both of those venues would, for me, be a non-starter.

Would HAL be smart enough to add back the library and the Crows Nest knowing that these are important on a long cruise; I wonder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

I must have missed where it was officially stated that there is not the "Crows Nest" on any or some of the ships.  It may have been reduced in size but I think the "Crows Nest" is still on all ships.  How can they removed the viewing area at the front of the "Observation Deck"?

• Like 1