P&O Australia will require all passengers to be fully vaccinated

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Same here, I get ear infection easily, particularly on the ships, so stay away from the hot tubs/spas and often the pools. Ships Drs told me to avoid them, full of bacteria he said. Some pax use the hot tubs as their daily bath.

I never even thought about the germs. I just assumed it would be a clorine or salt water pool like a normal pool. What do people do on hot sea days then?

3 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

I never even thought about the germs. I just assumed it would be a clorine or salt water pool like a normal pool. What do people do on hot sea days then?

As to what to do on hot sea days - the interior of the ship is air-conditioned.

You can get in the pool or hot tub, just don't put your head under water. That way you will avoid having the bacteria entering your ear canals. An alternative would be to use ear plugs.

Edited by Aus Traveller

1 hour ago, Snoopkat said:

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your dress. I'm always worried about spillage when I'm carrying drinks and would hate to be that person.  I might just stay put at the bar like I normally do on land for everyone's sake!

It's easier to get a comfy seat at one of the bars or lounges and let the waiters get your drinks. There is often good entertainment in the evenings, live music of varying types, so it's pleasant to sit and enjoy a drink before or after dinner. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:53 AM, Aus Traveller said:

There was a suggestion that people who have the AZ would have a booster of an mRNA vaccine - maybe Pfizer or Moderna. People who have Pfizer as their first shot might need something else because research in Israel indicates that Pfizer give limited protection after six months.

People who've had Pfizer (or AZ) will have boosters of Pfizer or Moderna. The fall in Pfizer immunity was 6 months after the second shot. The third gives a huge boost to immunity.

4 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

All ship pools are chlorinated. Some ships have salt water pools and other ships have fresh water pools.

I believe all Princess ships have fresh water pools, so I suppose that must be the case for P&O Oz ships as well.

12 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

I've heard ship hot tubs referred to as "kid soup".

A good friend of mine has a pool maintenance business and he has advised, many times, never use a public hot tub a spa/jacuzi. Petri dishes within a petri dish as Rod in whom we trust might say.

We tried one only once on a cruise and my wife picked up a nasty skin infection from it. Public pools aren't too bad if you can smell the chlorine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

Many go in the pool, I do not.

Apart from getting bad ear infections in ship's pools/spas, I also got bad ear infection in UK swimming in those indoor pools at the big hotels.  Used as baths by some, that is why the public indoor swimming pools in UK are officially known as the 'baths,'  True.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Many go in the pool, I do not.

Apart from getting bad ear infections in ship's pools/spas, I also got bad ear infection in UK swimming in those indoor pools at the big hotels.  Used as baths by some, that is why the public indoor swimming pools in UK are officially known as the 'baths,'  True.

Not true.🤣 the term 'baths' was used in places like Bath for the natural mineral pools that people would bathe in for health reasons. Swimming pools then took on the name, usually known as swimming baths even when outdoor. That name was also used in NZ when I was a kid.

I've never had any problems swimming in the pools onboard ships. I've only used an onboard spa once, when I'd pulled a muscle in my back. Usually the spas aren't hot enough for me.

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not true.🤣 the term 'baths' was used in places like Bath for the natural mineral pools that people would bathe in for health reasons. Swimming pools then took on the name, usually known as swimming baths even when outdoor. That name was also used in NZ when I was a kid.

I've never had any problems swimming in the pools onboard ships. I've only used an onboard spa once, when I'd pulled a muscle in my back. Usually the spas aren't hot enough for me.

Disagree...I know about the Roman Baths at Bath, been there and other Bath Towns. But the public pools in many English towns are still known as Baths.

Mounts Baths, Northampton, England. Went there as a boy.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

23 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Disagree...I know about the Roman Baths at Bath, been there and other Bath Towns. But the public pools in many English towns are still known as Baths.

I think you are mixing public pools, also known as public baths, with public bathhouses.

Public bathhouses were common in Britain in low income urban areas up until the 50s. They were where working class people went to have baths with soap etc because indoor bathrooms and plumbed hot water were pretty much non existent for poorer people.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I think you are mixing public pools, also known as public baths, with public bathhouses.

Public bathhouses were common in Britain in low income urban areas up until the 50s. They were where working class people went to have baths with soap etc because indoor bathrooms and plumbed hot water were pretty much non existent for poorer people.

I meant public baths, aka swimming pools.    As you say..In the olden days England had public bath houses as most houses had no bathroom.  My parents told me our British Army married quarter in Colchester, England, circa 1948-1950 had no bathroom, toilet out the back and we went into town to use a public bath once a week.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Mounts Baths, Northampton, England. Went there as a boy.

th.jpg

Yes, but they weren't called baths because people used them instead of a bath at home, they were called baths because that was the term used for public swimming pools right from the start. 

"Swimming baths" first cropped up in the mid-18th century. "Swimming pool" wasn't used until the end of the 19th century.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, but they weren't called baths because people used them instead of a bath at home, they were called baths because that was the term used for public swimming pools right from the start. 

"Swimming baths" first cropped up in the mid-18th century. "Swimming pool" wasn't used until the end of the 19th century.

Agree with that.  But on most cruise ships, the bathrooms don't have baths, so some who cannot fit in the tiny showers or who don't like showers, I won't name the nationalities..🥵  hit the spas/hot tubs for their daily dunking.

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Agree with that.  But on most cruise ships, the bathrooms don't have baths, so some who cannot fit in the tiny showers or who don't like showers, I won't name the nationalities..🥵  hit the spas/hot tubs for their daily dunking.

I hate toilets being called bathrooms. This often done by the media for example an aircraft lavatory called a bathroom. It's an irk of mine. Another Americanism?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I hate toilets being called bathrooms. This often done by the media for example an aircraft lavatory called a bathroom. It's an irk of mine. Another Americanism?

Indeed, the Yanks call them washrooms also. I like the German term..Toiletten or the Spanish Peruvian term..Bano.

Now we have the toilet thread, lol.

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And some just don't bother! 🤣

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Indeed, the Yanks call them washrooms also. I like the German term..Toiletten or the Spanish Peruvian term..Bano.

Now we have the toilet thread, lol.

Loo will do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Restroom is also used in the US. 

If the toilet is in a bathroom, like an ensuite, then it can be called a bathroom otherwise toilet or the less commonly used WC used to be seen mostly in our part of the world but we seem to be moving more towards bathroom these days.

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Loo will do.

Or the Privy. In the Navy - The Head.  In the Army it was 'Ablutions.' British Army slang for toilets and a place for washing thy self.😁  North Americans also call the toilets 'The John.'

Where is Lyle Blackduck, what do they call these places in Canada. I think it was Restrooms when we were there in 2006.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

In English every word we have for the toilet is a euphemism, including the word toilet. 😲

33 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

In English every word we have for the toilet is a euphemism, including the word toilet. 😲

Even lavatory, a place for washing.

• Like 1