Live from Equinox 8/27/21 Sailing

Beba-Beba

We just docked in Bonaire and the marina is full of nice expensive yachts and sailboats. A much quieter island tha the A and C islands.

Last night the Captain announced we had 2 more vaccinated passengers test positive for Covid and that they had been taken off the ship in Curacao and transferred to be sent home. Also several passengers who had close contact were being tested and quarantined and unfortunately Goofysmom99 was one of the one quarantined as noted earlier. 

20210902_070622.jpg

20210902_063949.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So glad your test was negative and agree it's unacceptable that you had to chase down that result.

I wonder if the second test in 24 hrs is due to this being the second set of positives during the sailing.  I wonder if this second set of positives were possibly close contacts from the first positives.  That I'm sure we will never know.

Edited by wrk2cruise

9 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

No one called so called guest relations just now at the 3 3/4 hr point.  Test is negative.  That's the good news.  Bad news is I'm confined to cabin until 2nd test tomorrow evening which will also take "2 hours."  I expect their version of 2 hours will wipe out dinner tomorrow, too.  I intend to have a more serious discussion with someone about lack of follow-up.  Explained I was prepared to post on every public forum if it didnt improve.  So I guess now I qualify as PO'd, but relieved.

Thank god, you are negative!!

Hi, We are going on the September 26th cruise.  I would like to know if these two cases are related to the first 3 that were reported.  I also think that Celebrity should test everyone prior to their initial boarding.

Several of our excursions just got canceled as we have the original itinerary.  One being in St kitts and the other in Dominica.

I would hate to be quarantined for so long on a cruise, it makes me not want to talk to anyone new I might meet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peony1 said:

... I also think that Celebrity should test everyone prior to their initial boarding. ...

We can understand why you would "think that," peony1, but we feel sure that it is not going to happen in Fort Lauderdale, unless circumstances/facilities/staffing are changed in a major way.   Here's why we say this ...

Maybe you were unaware of it (or you forgot about it), but, around a month ago, "X" panicked after there were some sick people on a cruise [perhaps on Edge], so they suddenly declared that they would test EVERYONE, in Terminal 25, who would be checking in for the next cruise. 

That idea proved to be disastrous, in more ways than one, if we recall correctly -- and the makeshift procedure was totally abandoned for the next Embarkation Day.  We seem to recall that the "let's-test-everybody" process was taking a tremendous amount of time, leaving lots of vulnerable people standing outside for many hours -- as their check-in times were ignored.  (Maybe even some EMTs had to be called to help a few folks who had become ill, dehydrated -- or whatever.)

The testing took so long that maybe only half the guests could be tested before the Captain decided, "FORGET IT, because we are already going to be late leaving the port."  At that point, everyone else was allowed to board quickly.

The sudden decision to test everyone was the most disastrously idiotic decision that we can ever recall someone at "X" making in thirteen years of following the cruise line.  [The decision-maker's name was never revealed, and there was no apology to the public, as far as we can remember.]  Now we are hoping that the people who are booked to embark on Equinox on September 5 and 17 are not made to suffer -- in any way, shape, or form -- as did those folks, a month or so ago.

We are happy that "goofysmom99" got through the first part of her ordeal, but we think that it is DEAD WRONG for her (and other contacts of the sick folks) to have to be "imprisoned" and tested again (PCR).  That is totally unnecessary and undignified.  If it does happen, then "goofysmom99" (et al.) should be reimbursed significantly.  Also, people who are "jailed" -- especially those who have a Premium Beverage Package or more -- should be allowed to order any beverages whatsoever to be delivered to their staterooms.  All of them should be given MDR (if not SR!) menus from which to choose tonight's dinner and tomorrow's breakfast and lunch, if they are going to be detained until the afternoon.

Edited by jg51
  • Like 3

Also, people who are "jailed" -- especially those who have a Premium Beverage Package or more -- should be allowed to order anything whatsoever to be delivered to their staterooms.

That is one of my questions - do they deliver drinks to your quarantined room if they request you to stay in there?

• Thanks 1

Room service delivered breakfast perfectly this morning.  I'd asked them to put the bowl with poached eggs and the bacon on same plate, under one dome.  One coffee cup, fruit in a bowl, etc.  They got my point.  Lots lighter to manage.  Room service called me to order my lunch and added so many charming little extras, including coconut macaroons from the Cafe.  I called them to let them know how much I appreciated it.  Very happy response.  I'm for sure singling them out for survey kudos.

I don't know how my back will be when they let me out.  My arthritis is screaming at me so I've resorted to using rolled bed pillows for a bit of lumbar support on this swell sofa. 🤪  When I'm cut loose, first place I hope to head is Cafe al Bacio to sit for 15 minutes in a club chair.  For me, they're the best chairs on the ship for my back.  

I haven't asked for beverages because I brought my own - 2 bottles of screw top wine and 2 boxes of Lacroix water (limoncello, my fave).  I'm good for the duration, whatever that happens to be.

And we wait.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Room service delivered breakfast perfectly this morning.  I'd asked them to put the bowl with poached eggs and the bacon on same plate, under one dome.  One coffee cup, fruit in a bowl, etc.  They got my point.  Lots lighter to manage.  Room service called me to order my lunch and added so many charming little extras, including coconut macaroons from the Cafe.  I called them to let them know how much I appreciated it.  Very happy response.  I'm for sure singling them out for survey kudos.

I don't know how my back will be when they let me out.  My arthritis is screaming at me so I've resorted to using rolled bed pillows for a bit of lumbar support on this swell sofa. 🤪  When I'm cut loose, first place I hope to head is Cafe al Bacio to sit for 15 minutes in a club chair.  For me, they're the best chairs on the ship for my back.  

I haven't asked for beverages because I brought my own - 2 bottles of screw top wine and 2 boxes of Lacroix water (limoncello, my fave).  I'm good for the duration, whatever that happens to be.

And we wait.

Love you positive attitude.  I hope they get you tested soon and let you out of jail.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

And we wait.

Hang in there and enjoy any pampering they give you lol !

Brockmom

56 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

And we wait.

Hang in there! Your positive attitude is just great!  Hope you hear very soon.

1 hour ago, goofysmom99 said:

And we wait.

Suggest  you ask for a high back or better chair due to your back issues and being kept in the rm... perhaps they will surprise you!  

• Like 1

Room service called for my dinner order.  Definitely early dining.  The shortcoming with the app is no symbols for the ingredients.  I helped out and ordered from the children's menu.  It threw her initially but I bet they do just fine.  No dessert.  I'm planning on 2 scoops of Gelato by 10:15!

Oooh, nice guy just now came for test #2.  I told him how no one got back to me last night and it'd be super swell if it went faster tonight.  He said he'd relay that and that they're doing a lot of people (his emphasis, not mine).  Fingers and toes crossed.  Gelato might happen!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

He said he'd relay that and that they're doing a lot of people (his emphasis, not mine).  Fingers and toes crossed.  Gelato might happen!

Hoping for gelato in your very near future!

I was wondering if the sheer numbers being tested had caused that '2 hour' estimate to be so badly missed.

No excuse though for not communicating that they were running late if that was the case.

Edited by Mark_T

55 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

OMG, room service just delivered chocolate covered strawberries to me with this note.  I'm a little verklempt.  I just love this ship and the crew.  They're wonderful!!

20210902_183138.jpg

Oh my…..they are certainly trying their best…and that is all we can hope for any difficult situation. Awesome !

@jg51 Nice job regurgitating what happened the first cruise after the cases were discovered onboard Edge. Unfortunately you did not give your solution to the issue X faced. The reality is that the decision that was made was more of a “Ready - Fire -Aim”. The idea was fine, the execution was a failure. You seem to want to know who to blame for what transpired. Why?  It happened and they have a new protocol in place. 

As far as “goofysmom99l” is concerned, I only wish you could handle this situation with the “Class and Understanding” that she is showing rather than ranting about the demands she should be making. Chill @jg51 and let’s see how this situation pays out before getting so out of control. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Honestly before this happened to goofysmom99, I had not realized that you really can’t protect yourself. Even having the booster shot, and masking, if that tracer says you have been in contact, you go to jail. Can understand why Celebrity would keep that number secret…cause that a bummer.

• Like 2

Goofy'smom, would you please see if you can order a drink to be delivered since you have a drink package? Even if you are OK with your carry on wine, most people don't have that to fall back on. I have the premium package and if I get quarentined, I surely would like to be able to take advantage of it while in "jail".  That is a concession they should definitely make to those affected. My fingers are crossed for your good result tonight. 

Edited by 39august

Just curious, @goofysmom99, have you ever been able to determine, unofficially or officially, who it was you actually came in contact with for an extended period that caused you to be included in this? For example, do you remember socializing at dinner with your table mates, as you earlier referenced, where someone seemed to have cold-like symptoms?

Do we know they only use tracelet data or do they consider things like excursions where everyone who may have been on the bus with the positive case is included?   I know this was the case on one of the early Edge cases that they were considered close contact.  Although they were only "jailed" for a few hours while 1 test was done.   Seems the protocols are "evolving".   I've always thought these protocols should be published so we all know what to expect when these things happen.  They can certainly be updated as then evolve like is going on with the frequent updates on testing, etc.....

• Like 1