Formal nights dress code for men

For a number of reasons we're considering trying to go hand luggage only.  If my friend has to take his black tie stuff, that won't be an option unless I could persuade him to hire one on the ship.   If we forego the main dining room and go to the buffet restaurant in smart casual, presumably that would be OK?  

8 minutes ago, jantoby said:

For a number of reasons we're considering trying to go hand luggage only.  If my friend has to take his black tie stuff, that won't be an option unless I could persuade him to hire one on the ship.   If we forego the main dining room and go to the buffet restaurant in smart casual, presumably that would be OK?  

Even on formal night you will see all types of dress in the main dining room.  Some will be all decked out, some will be smart casual and some will be very casual.

We never miss formal night in the MDR and my husband wears khakis and a nice Tommy Bahama floral shirt.  I wear slacks and a nice top.  We have never felt out of place.

Don’t let the “dress police” tell you different……😁😁

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, jantoby said:

We will be eating in the MD all 7 nights and i am not bringing a long pair of pants.

1 minute ago, rbell said:

We will be eating in the MD all 7 nights and i am not bringing a long pair of pants.

That’s me, I wear pleated “golf shorts” and a polo or short sleeved button down every night, MDR or Specialty restaurants. 

To the OP, I don’t believe Royal is offering on board formal wear rentals any longer. 

• Like 1

Times have changed. I remember my husband renting tuxes onboard. Now you may see a few men dressed to the nines but they stand out. I always think, aww doesn't he look nice, but in no way, shape, or form do I want my husband to dress up that much. It's not him, and he's definitely the guy for whom the Hawaiian shirt is formal wear on vacation. If part of cruising for your friend is going all out on getting dressed up then perhaps a suit bag with wheels would work?

Be aware right now the buffet is closed in the evening. 

Yeah, no more tux's for me.  I dress up nicer on formal nights, sometimes even a tie, but otherwise, that's it.  Save the space in your luggage for things you buy in the ports!

1 hour ago, jantoby said:

If we forego the main dining room and go to the buffet restaurant in smart casual, presumably that would be OK?  

FYI: for the time being, RCI doesn't have dinner service in the buffet. As the others have said, dress up or dress down. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

2 minutes ago, jantoby said:

According to the RC website, "Windjammer begins serving dinner at 6 p.m."

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/is-windjammer-open-for-dinner

I had read in a Royal Caribbean blog that once ships reach 50% capacity or greater that they will open the Windjammer for dinner. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

3 hours ago, jantoby said:

You can no longer rent on board.  RCL discontinued this service.  However, I've heard that there is a firm that more or less partners w/RCL for tux rental.  I believe you have to order in advance.  Well, I guess that's a given:  if you don't order in advance how would they get the tux to the ship.  Do  a google search to find out more or maybe call in to RCL:  someone might have the contact information.

• Like 1

Just now, ILCTCRUISER said:

You can no longer rent on board.  RCL discontinued this service.  However, I've heard that there is a firm that more or less partners w/RCL for tux rental.  I believe you have to order in advance.  Well, I guess that's a given:  if you don't order in advance how would they get the tux to the ship.  Do  a google search to find out more or maybe call in to RCL:  someone might have the contact information.

That's strange. I looked on RC website and it took me to the Book page asking for measurements.

My last couple of cruises were on the Allure . Id say at least half the gents were not wearing Jackets on formal night in the dining room. A collared shirt and pants would be fine .

3 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Times have changed. I remember my husband renting tuxes onboard. Now you may see a few men dressed to the nines but they stand out. I always think, aww doesn't he look nice, but in no way, shape, or form do I want my husband to dress up that much. It's not him, and he's definitely the guy for whom the Hawaiian shirt is formal wear on vacation. If part of cruising for your friend is going all out on getting dressed up then perhaps a suit bag with wheels would work?

Be aware right now the buffet is closed in the evening. 

Not on every ship.

5 hours ago, Oxo said:

Here we go again! LOL

There is no dress code

Just watched a video from, a think it was called doingdisneyright,.  They were on Adventure of the Seas second sailing and were denied access to MDR on formal night because they were both wearing shorts.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jantoby said:

Last cruise on Symphony the men at the table next to us were wearing shorts and t shirts on formal night.

7 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Just watched a video from, a think it was called doingdisneyright,.  They were on Adventure of the Seas second sailing and were denied access to MDR on formal night because they were both wearing shorts.   

Then they had better get the Windjammer reopened if they are going to be turning people away. People deserve an option other than pay venues or the Cafe Promenade.

• Like 1

Formal night is a suggestion, not a requirement.      You'll see everything from black tie to shorts in the MDR on formal night.    For my group, we have an unwritten rule that there are to be no ties in our wardrobe on a cruise.   Some will bring a sport coat for a "dressy night", but nothing close to formal.

Take what you want and wear what you want to dinner.      The only thing I would not advise is a t-shirt or tank top for the men.

17 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

Formal night is a suggestion, not a requirement.      You'll see everything from black tie to shorts in the MDR on formal night.    For my group, we have an unwritten rule that there are to be no ties in our wardrobe on a cruise.   Some will bring a sport coat for a "dressy night", but nothing close to formal.

Take what you want and wear what you want to dinner.      The only thing I would not advise is a t-shirt or tank top for the men.

Been turned away from MDR for males wearing sleeveless shirts for breakfast.  Never for shorts.  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jantoby said:

That's strange. I looked on RC website and it took me to the Book page asking for measurements.

Tried finding thread in which someone posted about the end of tux rental. There's also reference to the end of the tux rental program on the RCL blog, which is not an official RCL communication. But that doesn't mean you can't order a tux through RCL.  It may be they have a vendor who provides tux.  The note I read said that RCL was no longer going to keep an inventory of tuxedos on board.  You may be able to rent in advance but possibly not once you're on board.  If your plan is to wait until you board before you place an order to rent a tux, I'd call and verify.

Edited by ILCTCRUISER

Posted (edited)

I brought a suit just out of habit. The first formal night I wore the pants shirt and tie no jacket. After I saw the free for all dress code I wore golf shorts and a polo shirt for the second formal night. Formal night is in name only and is a far cry from anything formal.

Edited by Iamcruzin