The Daily for Sunday August 29, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Rich and Daily-ites. 

Went thru the Panama Canal in 2016 and 2018. I tried posting a little video but the upload keeps failing.

I was able to book a booster for my sweet husband at a CVS. I will still call tomorrow to see if I can get it thru our hospital system.

Last night we had a surprise gully washer. Chance of showers today and high of 91.

I'm really worried about the hurricane damage to our Louisiana friends. Special prayers for them. Prayers to our troops, the people trying to leave Afghanistan and those who lost family members. 

Not sure what's happening for dinner. Not lasagna, but saving Debbie's recipe for a cooler time.

Take care, Cheers and Blessings 

image.png.168634a15f67ff013811c1d0995797a3.png

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

Today's sunrise is from the snakebitten 2012 trio of Crystal Symphony cruises that featured a very stormy Transatlantic, a missed call in St. Pierre, and the Superstorm Sandy debacle.  It started with an Eastbound transatlantic on QM2 and August 29 was our first sea day.

dawn29.jpg

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good m9rning from a cloudy central Texas.  We're far enough west that we should not be affected by Ida.  The Weather Channel app news was Ida "exploded  into a category 4 hurricane just before landfall.  Hoping all in the path stay safe.  It seems like Louisiana and New Orleans have a big bullseye on them.  I'm also thinking about our troops and all others in Afghanistan.

Bats are necessary to control bugs.  In the summer there is a colony of Mexican freetail bats that live under the Congress Street bridge in Austin, and people gather at dusk to watch them fly out. 

I don't use herbs as much as I should, but try not to use too much salt.  There are only a few foods I salt after cooking.

The wine sounds good, but pricey, but I'm will 0ass on the drink since it has gin in it.  I have a similar lasagna recipe that I haven't made in several years.  The quote is interesting and true.

When entering the Panama Canal at Cristobal was the port I posted quite a few pictures, so any today would be repeats.

@TiogaCruiser Have a safe trip.

@kazu  Jacqui, have enjoy your visit with your family.  The proofreading meme is about me. 😀 

@JAM37  Good news your DH is getting some sleep.  Hope he feels better today.

@mamaofami Carol, glad you're letting someone else fight the insurance company.  You don't need more stress.

@grapau27 Graham, sorry n your victer has Covid.  Hope it is a mild case.

Lenda

• Like 21
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  This is my second attempt; the first one went *poof* when I clicked "Submit Reply".  We like bats, as they do a great job keeping the mosquito population under control.  This year, however, because of the drought, there have been very few mosquitos, so the bats are having to travel far and wide to get their nightly fill.

I enjoy cooking with herbs, specifically basil, cilantro and Rosemary.  I'm particular about who I serve dishes with cilantro to, as I know many people don't like the taste of it.  I've always cooked with less salt - my Dad had a heart condition for years, and my Mom used very little salt in meal preparation, something I've carried on throughout my adult life.  I keep the salt & pepper shakers on the table and am not offended when people reach for salt to add to their plate.

@kazuhow wonderful to have guests again, after all this time!

@TiogaCruiser enjoy your trip; stay safe!

It's a beautiful, sunny Sunday here on the "frozen tundra", with little or nothing to have to do either in the yard or the house, so it's a free day for us.  I think this afternoon we'll take a drive over to a new market across town that specializes in locally produced items - in addition to the regular stock.  A neighbour said she'd bought some nice rhubarb, which I'd like to get to make rhubarb muffins . . . yum!

I don't mind the menu suggestion for today, but I have to tell you, we're carnivores, so I'd definitely be adding ground beef to the ingredients!  The recipe will languish for another day, though, as it's too warm to make that now.  We were given a plethora of fresh tomatoes, so in consultation with DH, we're planning on having BLT's and fresh veggies with dip for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for all in the path of Hurricane Ida, and for those protecting, and still waiting for evacuation from Afghanistan.  Raising the glasses high to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good m9rning from a cloudy central Texas.  We're far enough west that we should not be affected by Ida.  The Weather Channel app news was Ida "exploded  into a category 4 hurricane just before landfall.  Hoping all in the path stay safe.  It seems like Louisiana and New Orleans have a big bullseye on them.  I'm also thinking about our troops and all others in Afghanistan.

Bats are necessary to control bugs.  In the summer there is a colony of Mexican freetail bats that live under the Congress Street bridge in Austin, and people gather at dusk to watch them fly out. 

I don't use herbs as much as I should, but try not to use too much salt.  There are only a few foods I salt after cooking.

The wine sounds good, but pricey, but I'm will 0ass on the drink since it has gin in it.  I have a similar lasagna recipe that I haven't made in several years.  The quote is interesting and true.

When entering the Panama Canal at Cristobal was the port I posted quite a few pictures, so any today would be repeats.

@TiogaCruiser Have a safe trip.

@kazu  Jacqui, have enjoy your visit with your family.  The proofreading meme is about me. 😀 

@JAM37  Good news your DH is getting some sleep.  Hope he feels better today.

@mamaofami Carol, glad you're letting someone else fight the insurance company.  You don't need more stress.

@grapau27 Graham, sorry n your victer has Covid.  Hope it is a mild case.

Lenda

Thanks Lenda.

We WhatsApped him after church offering any help he needed but he said he is fine and has to isolate but has his feet up in the vicarage watching films.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

It is hard to believe that with that monster storm out there, that we would have blue skies. We are on the east coast of Florida . 

Many prayers for all the people in the path of the storm. Hope they heeded the warnings and got out. Very special thoughts and prayers for our troops still in Afghanistan and truly hope that they all get out.

We see bats every night. They eat the mosquitos so they are necessary.  

Will be a quiet day here today, DD and I are going in the pool. DH grilling for dinner.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21

Found my photos of my April 1972 transit of the Panama Canal. These are the only views I had as I went on watch while in the first lock. A bit different perspective than a cruise ship. Plus I was paid to do this!  :classic_smile:

1699505192_PanamaCanal5.thumb.jpg.68793e392ca2c2438a9551c63a07ef1d.jpg

1748670276_PanamaCanal2.thumb.jpg.c662a131bdc1c834c90d7b3153b28c08.jpg

1353605756_PanamaCanal4.thumb.jpg.54b764f3461162223004484d1eaee7d0.jpg

323948237_PanamaCanal3.thumb.jpg.406e3fa2d336237c66fde29e1de084b5.jpg

DSC04091.thumb.JPG.290fdf1828e0b6d40cf4410252899cb4.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 31

Good morning to all. I see bats at night here and I am glad that they stay high up in the trees and eat insects.I rarely use salt but love herbs in my cooking

The recipe sounds great but we are  grilling veggies and burgers for our extended  family tonight.It is cool and cloudy today.

@kazu,enjoy your family visit!I have DB and DSIL stopping by for lunch tomorrow  and so look forward to it.

Someday I will see the Panama Canal.

I am also very worried  about all the people  in Ida's path as well as all of those trying to get out of Afghanistan. 

a picture of Miss Camilla taken a week ago 

5248.jpeg

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't posted since Christmas 2020 nor even looked at CC till recently. Losing two friends to Covid just before vaccinations were available and my DH's increasing health challenges including three falls have occupied my days and, truthfully, at times had me feeling underwater.

DH's recent completion of ten weeks of physical therapy and the addition of a walker that folds sideways to allow use in narrow passages give me the hope that time aboard a BHB might be possible again. 

So, I began 'lurking' a week ago and have been catching up by reading the months of The Dailys I'd missed. Until my DH's situation is more certain, it's too soon to book a BHB  but I'm again ready to send my greetings to all.

And, send our prayers for those in Ida's path... 

• Like 33

30 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

I haven't posted since Christmas 2020 nor even looked at CC till recently. Losing two friends to Covid just before vaccinations were available and my DH's increasing health challenges including three falls have occupied my days and, truthfully, at times had me feeling underwater.

DH's recent completion of ten weeks of physical therapy and the addition of a walker that folds sideways to allow use in narrow passages give me the hope that time aboard a BHB might be possible again. 

So, I began 'lurking' a week ago and have been catching up by reading the months of The Dailys I'd missed. Until my DH's situation is more certain, it's too soon to book a BHB  but I'm again ready to send my greetings to all.

Welcome back and thank  you for letting us know what you've been dealing with.   If we can, let us help lighten your load by at least offering friendship and empathy.   You'll get back on a BHB.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

a picture of Miss Camilla taken a week ago 

5248.jpeg

Oh my, she's looking so plump and healthy!  I really want to pick her up and kiss that sweet face!  Can you tell we haven't had a baby in the family for over a decade?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

@grapau27I was reminded by @Quartzsite Cruiser's post that I wanted to send my prayers to vicar David this morning, too but I forgot.  I'm going to have to start taking notes before I begin my posting.  Good to hear he's feeling okay and resting while watching films.

@HeartgroveThanks for taking us back to 1972!  Ah yes, the old style film in the camera photos.  Those were certainly not the "good old days" photo-wise.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HAL Sailer said:

It's nice to see you again.  I can't imagine the number of hours it would take to catch up on the Dailies since Christmas!  

Glad to hear your DH is recovering and you are back to dreaming of a cruise on a BHB!

• Like 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion but have no idea what we will have today.  I think DH is leaning towards going out.  I’m so glad I completed my chores yesterday.  The weather is cool and overcast, not ideal for painting.  I was planning on working in the yard but it’s still wet from the overnight rain.

This seems to be my current mood.

image.png.ab78a5469525bd8e86cdc63c9241edf9.png

• Like 10
  • Haha 12

@HAL Sailer  Welcome back to the Daily.  I also hope things improve for your DH, and there's a BHB in your future.  This is a great place to come when you need support and when there is something to celebrate.  Sorry about all you have been dealing with the last several months.  

Condolences on the loss of your friends due to Covid.

Lenda

• Like 12

@HAL Sailer, Welcome  to  this  very supportive  group. I  am  glad  you  are  doing  better and  that  your  DH  is  improving. May  we  all  see  BHB's  in  our  future!

@grapau27, sorry  to  hear  about  the  Vicar  but  hope  he manages  well  through  the  illness.It  looked  like  a  cloudy,rainy  day near  your  beach  today  but  just  love  the  pictures. I  will  have  to  take  some  outdoor  pictures  here  when  the  sun  returns.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1