Jump to content

Does anyone have an idea when summer '23 cruises (to the Fjords) might be released?


bee-ess
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Really? Why would those people irritate you? They’re free to do what they want, ‘selective’ or not. 

 We must be really irritating. Really ?I hear you say !. Early show. Fairly late dinner and into the live lounge for the last show, or the other way around. We may rush to the 10.30 event to ensure we get in. If it's full, then up on deck to the silent disco.🤣

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to read different peoples wants for a cruise. The smaller, older ships no longer appeal now the big, sparkly new ships are here. All the choices of restaurants, bars, entertainment, beautiful atriums, the thought of returning to old, small ships doesn't appeal. Good job we're all different, I wouldn't pay £50pd to cruise on an old ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We enjoy the shows, the tribute acts, musicians, quizzes etc but don't relish going to see Eric and Ern . If a show doesn't appeal, we don't go, but appreciate the variety. The thing I don't get is why some folk pinch the first two seats in the row and then ' tut, tut' for the next 15 minutes when asked ' Excuse me '.

I’ll tell you what’s even worse - when you sit in the middle of a row and the other people in the tow don’t budge for 15 minutes after the show, and then start tutting when you finally try and get them moving. 
 

That’s why I always prefer to sit at the end of a row, but I am happy to get up when people want to find a seat - they don’t even need to say ‘excuse me’.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Interesting to read different peoples wants for a cruise. The smaller, older ships no longer appeal now the big, sparkly new ships are here. All the choices of restaurants, bars, entertainment, beautiful atriums, the thought of returning to old, small ships doesn't appeal. Good job we're all different, I wouldn't pay £50pd to cruise on an old ship.

We’ve got a cruise booked on Arcadia next August, with a great Baltic itinerary which includes some ports we haven’t visited before.

 

I really like Arcadia, but the cruise is becoming a less appealing proposition. I suspect that there will still be various issues surrounding travel next year, so for the time being, the ship will be main feature of the cruise - with that in mind, we are giving serious thought  to switching to a Iona cruise, as there are so many eating and entertainment opportunities. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Interesting to read different peoples wants for a cruise. The smaller, older ships no longer appeal now the big, sparkly new ships are here. All the choices of restaurants, bars, entertainment, beautiful atriums, the thought of returning to old, small ships doesn't appeal. Good job we're all different, I wouldn't pay £50pd to cruise on an old ship.

Absolutely, it's just as well we are all different. I wouldn't pay £50pd to cruise on a ship with three and a half to over five thousand people, where there are the same number or more extra-charge restaurants and where one of the entertainment options is a silent disco...😀. Vive la difference.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The entertainment is very subjective, we all have different preferences.  We just accept that some evenings there will be nothing that we are interested in and will simply go and have a stroĺl around the ship and call into one of the bars.  Life is to short to worry about first world problems.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Extra charge restaurants have never bothered me on a cruise as nobody is forcing you to use them and Sindhu and Epicurean are well worth the supplement. I would rather have cheaper cruise fares and extra charge restaurants that are not forced on you. When we first started cruising there was no extra charge or very little and cruise prices were far dearer than what they are now.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Extra charge restaurants have never bothered me on a cruise as nobody is forcing you to use them and Sindhu and Epicurean are well worth the supplement. I would rather have cheaper cruise fares and extra charge restaurants that are not forced on you. When we first started cruising there was no extra charge or very little and cruise prices were far dearer than what they are now.

 

That's fine until the cruise line lowers the quality of food in the mdr to encourage people to use the extra charge ones... I want to be assured of good food within the price I have paid for my cruise. The other potential issue is that for-fee venues also take away public space that could be used for bar/lounge space.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting views I don’t really care about what size ship we’re on as long as we have a great time, I can understand the views of the long time cruisers hankering back to the good old days of cruising, but the world moves on there are other cruise lines I believe the policy the P&O are going down will allow them to continue into the future.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

Interesting views I don’t really care about what size ship we’re on as long as we have a great time, I can understand the views of the long time cruisers hankering back to the good old days of cruising, but the world moves on there are other cruise lines I believe the policy the P&O are going down will allow them to continue into the future.

 

Yes, you are probably right. Bobstheboy and I were both making the same point - that we all enjoy something different.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

We enjoy the shows, the tribute acts, musicians, quizzes etc but don't relish going to see Eric and Ern . If a show doesn't appeal, we don't go, but appreciate the variety. The thing I don't get is why some folk pinch the first two seats in the row and then ' tut, tut' for the next 15 minutes when asked ' Excuse me '.

Oh yes that’s a bug bear of mine - I always walk to the middle of the row.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Yes, you are probably right. Bobstheboy and I were both making the same point - that we all enjoy something different.

Imagine how boring would it be if we all liked the same thing, that’s what I/ we love about cruising we choose what we want to do long live choice, and a final note I hate lager with a vengeance peroni this peroni that I’m from the Black Country, were beer is drunk by real women and occasionally by men like me

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Angel57 said:

 

One tribute band we did enjoy was the Bootleg Beatles.

Gill x

 

 

Must admit I was a little surprised they have played on P&O as we are also not generally keen on cruise ship entertainment.  Yes they are good though, we have seen them at a concert, but the main recommendation must be that Paul had booked them for one of his personal parties (big birthday or something - do not remember what it was).

 

Edited by tring
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Extra charge restaurants have never bothered me on a cruise as nobody is forcing you to use them and Sindhu and Epicurean are well worth the supplement. I would rather have cheaper cruise fares and extra charge restaurants that are not forced on you. When we first started cruising there was no extra charge or very little and cruise prices were far dearer than what they are now.

 

We loved Arcadia's Gary Rhodes restaurant The Orchid. At that time the speciality restaurant worked the same as any restaurant, you paid for whatever you chose from a full menu and weren't restricted to the set menu with one or two choices for the night, as in the MDR.

Avril

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

 We must be really irritating. Really ?I hear you say !. Early show. Fairly late dinner and into the live lounge for the last show, or the other way around. We may rush to the 10.30 event to ensure we get in. If it's full, then up on deck to the silent disco.🤣

Good for you. We also make the most of the shows onboard so we must be irritating too, and yes, we sometimes rush from venue to venue. Can’t believe that some posters find that irritating.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Good for you. We also make the most of the shows onboard so we must be irritating too, and yes, we sometimes rush from venue to venue. Can’t believe that some posters find that irritating.

I am afraid we must be irritating too! Often a show may not sound appealing but once there may be really good and I would hate to find out afterwards that I had missed something worth seeing

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The most irritating thing about a show is when someone turns up early and then

proceeds to chuck a book and several other things onto seats to reserve  them 

and the seat to their other side announce to anyone who comes near them ..

"sorry these seats are in use " as they sit playing a game on their mobile phone.

The show starts and the seats are still empty but ten minutes into the show they 

turn up and then decide to discuss where they have been as this could not possibly

wait until the performance is over. Meanwhile the seat to the other side of them

remains vacant throughout the show . The person seems oblivious to the fact the

show has started and continues to play the game on their mobile .

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I find a tad annoying is those who sit in the middle of a row and then 10 mins before the end of the show they want to leave in order to get good seats for the next show in another venue..

Having said that, I have been known to walk very fast along Aurora’s prom deck in order to get a seat in Carmens once the theatre show has finished……

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

What I find a tad annoying is those who sit in the middle of a row and then 10 mins before the end of the show they want to leave in order to get good seats for the next show in another venue..

Having said that, I have been known to walk very fast along Aurora’s prom deck in order to get a seat in Carmens once the theatre show has finished……

We’ve done the fast walk along the prom deck!  That way, it’s possible to get reasonable seats in Carmen’s while everyone else is shuffling through the ship.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, kalos said:

The most irritating thing about a show is when someone turns up early and then

proceeds to chuck a book and several other things onto seats to reserve  them 

and the seat to their other side announce to anyone who comes near them ..

"sorry these seats are in use " as they sit playing a game on their mobile phone.

The show starts and the seats are still empty but ten minutes into the show they 

turn up and then decide to discuss where they have been as this could not possibly

wait until the performance is over. Meanwhile the seat to the other side of them

remains vacant throughout the show . The person seems oblivious to the fact the

show has started and continues to play the game on their mobile .

Another closely related activity is when Fred goes ahead to the theatre  to reserve seats and Doris stops off to go to the loo or do some shopping or whatever. When Doris reaches the theatre, she can’t see Fred, who proceeds to wave wildly at Doris for about 10 minutes. The whole theatre except Doris can see Fred.  
 

one of the things I miss most from cruising is the endless opportunities for people watching 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Another closely related activity is when Fred goes ahead to the theatre  to reserve seats and Doris stops off to go to the loo or do some shopping or whatever. When Doris reaches the theatre, she can’t see Fred, who proceeds to wave wildly at Doris for about 10 minutes. The whole theatre except Doris can see Fred.  
 

one of the things I miss most from cruising is the endless opportunities for people watching 

I can't remember which cruise line it was ( must be NCL, RC, or Celebrity ). The show starts at 10.00. 9.56, doors closed, no further admittance. Good plan.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Britboys said:

That's fine until the cruise line lowers the quality of food in the mdr to encourage people to use the extra charge ones... I want to be assured of good food within the price I have paid for my cruise. The other potential issue is that for-fee venues also take away public space that could be used for bar/lounge space.

That has been mentioned from the very start of extra charge restaurants of the deterioration of quality of food and although food has deteriorated I do not think it is down to the introduction of extra charge restaurants. Having cruised since 1997 we have seen a deterioration of standards of food and quality and many other things on a cruise but so has the price and they cannot keep the same standards at a lower cost. My first ever cruise was on Cunard and the lowest grade inside cabin on the ship we paid over £900pp for 8nts and if you take into inflation costs cruising these days is exceptional value. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

That has been mentioned from the very start of extra charge restaurants of the deterioration of quality of food and although food has deteriorated I do not think it is down to the introduction of extra charge restaurants. Having cruised since 1997 we have seen a deterioration of standards of food and quality and many other things on a cruise but so has the price and they cannot keep the same standards at a lower cost. My first ever cruise was on Cunard and the lowest grade inside cabin on the ship we paid over £900pp for 8nts and if you take into inflation costs cruising these days is exceptional value. 

You may be right about the food and certainly are right about the prices. It will be interesting to see how things go on the new ships - but then I guess there will be a lot of new cruisers without anything to compare to. I will be interested to see what I feel about the food on Aurora next year, hopefully...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The benefit I see about the ever lowering standards of food onboard p&o, is that as we’re reasonably new to cruising, we never tried the really top class food they used to serve back in the halcyon days, we find the food agreeable without being pretentious, and have not had a bad meal on any of the ships we have been on.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...