wine suggestions?

dgoz

I think I may have the least sophisticated palate in the world. I only like sweet drinks and wine. Dry=icky. 😄 Any suggestions for a tasty sweeter wine onboard X ships? (I have premium drink package)

Moscoto is a sweet wine, but may not be found all the time or on the deluxe drink package.

My wife likes whites that are on sweeter side and when we can’t find a Moscoto she will drink Pinot Grigio.  
full disclosure, I prefer reds. 

19 minutes ago, dgoz said:

I think I may have the least sophisticated palate in the world. I only like sweet drinks and wine. Dry=icky. 😄 Any suggestions for a tasty sweeter wine onboard X ships? (I have premium drink package)

One I happened to notice thumbing through lists was a Selbach Spatlese (Riesling).  German wine made in the old style, and as a Spatlese, still has a fair bit of residual sugar, but enough acidity to keep it from being grape syrup.  You may be able to buy it by the glass... can't remember which list it was in.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

One I happened to notice thumbing through lists was a Selbach Spatlese (Riesling).  German wine made in the old style, and as a Spatlese, still has a fair bit of residual sugar, but enough acidity to keep it from being grape syrup.  You may be able to buy it by the glass... can't remember which list it was in.

Interesting. I saw a Kabinett, which could be on the sweet side, but not a Spatlese. You’d think they’d have a Lambrusco or the like, but not seeing it. And I refuse to recommend the aberration of a truly noble grape from Beringer!

One of the 98235709 things I miss about cruising is an after dinner glass of Tawny Port in Cellar Masters. The OP might enjoy it, as well.

Hubby and I actually prefer the 10 year to the 20 year, which works out well for us, since we usually have the Classic BP, and only the 10 year is on it. 

I think they have some dessert wines on the list so you might want to check one of those out. Too sweet for me usually, but maybe with foie gras. Do they serve foie gras on Celebrity?

24 minutes ago, canderson said:

That sounds perfect

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, markeb said:

Interesting. I saw a Kabinett, which could be on the sweet side, but not a Spatlese. You’d think they’d have a Lambrusco or the like, but not seeing it. And I refuse to recommend the aberration of a truly noble grape from Beringer!

#356 is the Selbach Kingfish Kab.

#358 is the Selbach Spatlese.

By the bottle in the MDR list I find for Millenium.  Not sure if the numbers are totally aligned on other ships.

Edited by canderson
bloody spelchek!

9 minutes ago, canderson said:

By the bottle in the MDR list I find for Millenium.  Not sure if the numbers are totally aligned on other ships.

Ah. I was looking by the glass. See them by the bottle. 

The 362 CSM Riesling is moderately sweet as I recall. The Eroica is amazing, but more drier. 

There are some great Italian and Spanish effervescent reds that I suspect the OP would enjoy, but not onboard 🤥

After dinner, try the Inniskillin Vidal Ice Wine. It’s ridiculously priced on the menu but if you like sweet wines, this is a wonderful choice at the end of a special meal.

Randy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Try the Zinfandel offered by the carafe in Oceanview buffet. Not too sweet, not too dry - Goldilocks wine.

Found a picture. Solstice Jan 2018

IMG_20180121_013304336.jpg

IMG_20180121_013316430.jpg

Edited by lyndarra

1 hour ago, markeb said:

On our recent B3B on the Edge my "go to" wine was the Kabinett German Riesling. It was so tasty and without an acidic bite. The Eden sommelier had me try a non German Riesling variety, but I quickly shoed it away for the good stuff. We also bought a bottle of the German Spatlese they had for around $40, before our Elite discount was applied, and it was pretty tasty too. However, you could only get that by the bottle and since it wasn't that much better than the Kabinett Riesling, I stuck with the "free" stuff. 😎 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Make sure that you tell the sommelier about your preferences.  He or she will have a suggestions.

Agree!

When we first cruised with Celebrity we did ‘homework’ on the wine list deciding what to try once on board. Invariably the on board stock didn’t match the lists...

We often now simply ask the sommelier to match a wine to our starters and a wine to our entree and have had some excellent pairings.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, canderson said:

Thanks for these suggestions!

I am going to throw you a completely different idea just for the future. I used to be you. White Zin all the way. Total sweet tooth when it came to wines. But I longed to not have people make fun of me when I ordered it and I really wanted to expand my palette. 

Our wine guy told us if I wanted to try something that was both deep as well as sweet and a RED...that the best gateway wine was an Italian amarone. These wines are made from grapes that have almost become raisins. It is incredible and changed my life. I now drink nothing by deep, reds and will try pretty much anything. BTW: If you can an amarone you need to make sure it is a good one. First, it needs to be at least five years old. The ones that Trader Joe sells are terrible. A good bottle should run around $50 or more so if you can find a restaurant where you can taste it, 

I also have discovered that if you find dry wines=icky you may not have been tasting good wines. I grew with a mother who drank white zin out of a box so that was all I knew. If someone gave her a glass of red, she would mix it with ice and Fresca (YUCK!). But once I started tasting good (that does not have to mean expensive) reds and whites, my palette went nuts. Love them all now.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:10 PM, DrKoob said:

I am going to throw you a completely different idea just for the future. I used to be you. White Zin all the way. Total sweet tooth when it came to wines. But I longed to not have people make fun of me when I ordered it and I really wanted to expand my palette. 

Our wine guy told us if I wanted to try something that was both deep as well as sweet and a RED...that the best gateway wine was an Italian amarone. These wines are made from grapes that have almost become raisins. It is incredible and changed my life. I now drink nothing by deep, reds and will try pretty much anything. BTW: If you can an amarone you need to make sure it is a good one. First, it needs to be at least five years old. The ones that Trader Joe sells are terrible. A good bottle should run around $50 or more so if you can find a restaurant where you can taste it, 

I also have discovered that if you find dry wines=icky you may not have been tasting good wines. I grew with a mother who drank white zin out of a box so that was all I knew. If someone gave her a glass of red, she would mix it with ice and Fresca (YUCK!). But once I started tasting good (that does not have to mean expensive) reds and whites, my palette went nuts. Love them all now.  

So there is hope for me after all! 😄

• Like 1

I agree with the others.  You will get lots of advice on board about how to find wines that suit you. 

I used to drink the occasional White Zinfandel back in the day now I sometimes drink rose or Riesling or Moscato when I am in the mood for something sweet.  Just yesterday I opened a bottle of Liebfraumilch (very sweet) for the first time in 10 or 20 years.  My husband calls it dessert wine.  Maybe he's right.

My husband and I are currently fighting over wine that I bought from Opolo in California.  He wants (red) Zinfandel and I want Cabernet Sauvignon.  He drinks wine all the time but says their Cabernet is "too heavy".  I just got done ordering 6 bottles of Zinfandel so he has something to drink.

It just goes to show that people have different tastes in wine!

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

I hope you meant six bottles for him and six bottles of Cabernet for yourself?  

I do agree with him on the Cabernet being heavier than the Zinfandel, but I like both.

Right now it's six for him and six for me.  I had him try the Cab tonight.  That's how I found he liked it, just didn't like a Cab blend that he tried before.  He better like the @%& Zinfandel.  🙂

On 8/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, DrKoob said:

Does anyone know if there are any good amarones on board?

Wine is subjective.  Same as food.  My tastes are always evolving I noticed.  It’s hard to recommend try this try that.   I look at menu and if I see something I haven’t tried I’ll go for it esp with premium bev pkg.  if don’t like it get something else.