The Daily for Monday August 30, 2021

richwmn

Greetings. Late today but, as always, grateful for the daily and the lists.

Frankenstein day brings back some interesting memories..Way back in the early 1950's, the original Frankenstein movie was being re-released in my town. It must have been a big deal because the local theater printed up flyers advertising it. Somehow, a friend an I got hold of a package of these flyers and decide to be business tycoons. We stood at the corner of a busy intersection and "sold" them for one penny each. At that corner was a candy store. Every time we "sold" one, we ran into the candy store and bought some kind of penny candy. Looking back, I doubt that we sold more than five or ten flyers and we definitely did not go home with any money inour pockets. LOL.

A little more up to date, I am a big fan of Mel Brooks. His "Young Frankenstein" film is a comedy classic. (Respects to Mary Shelly).

Ids was not kind to Louisiana. It seems that more and more natural disasters are happening.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 18

7 hours ago, msmayor said:

Good morning all - foggy day here in south Jersey, rain expected later today.  I think the weather will be a question mark most of the week as Ida's remains creep northeast into our area.

To me, a toasted marshmallow is only good when smushed between two graham crackers and some Hershey's chocolate.  Not a fan of Frankenstein, but I do love a good walk on the beach.  My favorite?  Half Moon Cay...

I put my chance of chicken tenders for dinner at 50-50...it's in the meal rotation this week, so we'll see what my husband ends up choosing.

My outlook on life has always been...if you wake up on the right side of the dirt, it's a good day.  I am going to hope that those on our care list get an extra boost today...perhaps signs of healing, calls of support, indications that things are moving forward in a good way.  Know that I am passing you each a smile, a light squeeze of the hand and a wish that things get better for you soon.

So nicely said! 

• Like 10

@lindaleryou might want to check your Jan. 2023 Grand SA&A cruise booking.  I just learned a bit ago that my new booking number, cabin #, and itinerary are posted to my account at Holland America.  Same cabin as the 2022 and same itinerary.  I can't see pricing (which should be the same) because I have a TA.  If I didn't that would have been on my booking too.

• Like 5

Happy Monday to all Dailyites!  It is so good to be back on CC to post again.  I will be trying to read all past days to catch up.  Prayers for those affected by Ida, Afghanistan and our military, and for all on the care list, especially for good results for Sam.

The Nieuw Amsterdam was wonderful, and of course, Alaska is breathtaking, as usual.  Really enjoyed my time on a BHB.  The staff was wonderful, as usual.  Personally, for me, I wasn't thrilled with the food, but it was still better than cooking for myself and eating alone.  I really learned one thing on this cruise.  Long excursions aren't for this old lady anymore.  Two different days of 5+ hours just about did me in.  Getting home was a nightmare, thanks to plane problems in Seattle, but that is a part of travel that has to be expected.  Arrived home at 12:10 am Sunday!

Got my laundry done, mail sorted, and bills paid, so guess I am ready to get back into things with Red Cross.  Several new, small fires in the state.  If asked, I will help with hurricane response, if I can do it remotely.

Have a great day, everyone.  I look forward to getting caught up on a week of Daily posts.  Thanks to all who contribute, and make this such a wonderful place.

• Like 22

I have been to today's port on Crystal twice but always identified it as Bay of Islands.  I worshipped in the church pictured by @Horizon chaser 1957 in 2018, arriving totally drenched from a monster deluge.  I have just a couple of photos to add, a very nice ice cream store:

cellinis.jpg

and a sign that caught my fancy:

Capture.JPG.b73e155cfde85b33fee9814296ee652a.JPG

Roy

• Like 20
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

She visits every 2-3 weeks for supplies, fuel, and crew rotations.

I believe GeorgesGal was asking why the ship was physically in the Everglades and not in Port Everglades.  (adding some humour to your original post).

At least that is what I thought when I read the response to your original post.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Sorry to be late to the party today - no particular reason, but the day just slipped away...

Interesting collection of days! I discovered Whispering Angel several years ago and it's very good! I knew it had hit the big time earlier this year when I was reading a murder mystery and the author had the guests at the fatal wedding drinking bottles and bottles of Whispering Angel!

Adding my prayers for those in Ida's path. After Katrina I spent eight years going down to Nola one week a year to help with rebuilding. Sad that some of those same families may have to go through that again.

Here's a smile for you:

dogsteak.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 13

This is probably a mistake, but I just snagged an aft wrap suite for our Alaska cruise.  This is a first time experience in a suite and probably a last.   I hope we don't get too used to it.  I'll have to start buying lottery tickets.   

We're excited!

• Like 37
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, dfish said:

This is probably a mistake, but I just snagged an aft wrap suite for our Alaska cruise.  This is a first time experience in a suite and probably a last.   I hope we don't get too used to it.  I'll have to start buying lottery tickets.   

We're excited!

Wow!  Congratulations and enjoy it!

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

Enjoy the suite and spoil yourself.  

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

The only  mistake is you  will love it and want to do it again!  

• Like 13

Posted (edited)

Good afternoon and thanks all!  
@mamaofami so sorry to hear about Sam,  glad things look good,  I wish some boring for you! 
@KirkNC oh moving!  All the best! 
@JAM37 hope your DH feels better soon! 

I love beaches, and my DGD makes the best marshmallows,    A few favourites:

38293DE7-6DEC-404A-A8C5-EBA0B7ACF97A.jpeg

9D981E5B-3E84-4937-B8A7-CE3B5EE8F65F.jpeg

3D08B84B-7065-4C39-9679-1105F5372CA1.jpeg

36196D2C-98B9-4577-A261-E22DE44D2D1F.jpeg

A5D7241D-4028-4EA4-8D66-9A409F31E710.jpeg

9EAB2D45-24EA-4D65-8A09-1A0E277E7F6B.jpeg

39104E5C-3ED0-4498-B986-DFF63617CC17.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 25

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

I just grabbed my perfect starboard!  See you in the Lounge, Girl Friend!!!  

Woo Hoo!!

🎉    🎈    🎊    

• Like 18

5 hours ago, lindaler said:

Even at 36 I still worry about him and always will. 

Moms always worry about their kids, and their grandkids..........

Glad to hear he is okay and there wasn't too much damage.

• Like 10

Welcome back @cruzn single, I'm sure anything prepared by others beats having to do it for ourselves all the time.  Was there something in particular that you didn't care for, or was it overall selection?

@dfishcongrats . . . .yes, you may regret it, but it's definitely worth it!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

You certainly deserve to treat yourselves after the past 18 months.  I’m thrilled that you took the upgrade.  Corner aft cabins are never a mistake.  Enjoy and the next time we sail together we can each grab a corner, one port one starboard!😂

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

Yes!!!!  Happy for you!

• Like 9

I see the Nieuw Statendam is scheduled to depart at 2300 hrs; any idea why so late?  It's beautiful looking at the FLL webcam and seeing ships in port again.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dfish said:

We're excited!

Awesome.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 8

@dfish, you're probably off printing new boarding docs.   😊

I saw the email come up from HAL and was on the phone before I even looked at what the offer was.  Then I was going to send you an email for heads up they were contacting people, in case you hadn't seen.  But I thought to look on here first before emailing you, and there was your happy news.  It really HAS been a long pandemic.  Very nice bright spot to the day.

• Like 13

Just now, AncientWanderer said:

@dfish, you're probably off printing new boarding docs.   😊

I saw the email come up from HAL and was on the phone before I even looked at what the offer was.  Then I was going to send you an email for heads up they were contacting people, in case you hadn't seen.  But I thought to look on here first before emailing you, and there was your happy news.  It really HAS been a long pandemic.  Very nice bright spot to the day.

Congratulations on your upsell as well!   When I saw it come up I yelled, "YES!"   We're going to surprise Donna with it.  We've been telling her how cramped the rooms are and how we need to be careful when we step over each other.  LOL

• Like 6
  • Haha 8