Jump to content

What is the on board credit good for?


Recommended Posts

I used mine to pay for internet, shopping, etc. I treated myself to a manicure as well. You can use it for excursions if you book on-board. If you don't have a beverage package or included Hotel Service Charge it can go towards those expenses as well. 

 

Karen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

I used mine to pay for internet, shopping, etc. I treated myself to a manicure as well. You can use it for excursions if you book on-board. If you don't have a beverage package or included Hotel Service Charge it can go towards those expenses as well. 

 

Karen

Thank you! I wonder.....can it be used for specialty dining?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can be used for onboard laundry which is handy for long cruises as less packing is required. One of our cruises next year swapped ships. We already had OBC but with the swap, the line item was actually $100.00 more OBC on the new ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DaveOKC said:

If nothing else, use it to pay your Daily Hotel Service Charge (tips for the crew).  It goes very quickly this way as its about $30+ per day alone.  Also used in the shops (I have alot of HAL t-shirts!).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Generally it is as good as cash onboard - gratuities, gift shop, specialty dining, shore excursions, etc. Anything posted to your onboard account. Not valid for casino AFAIK. Unfortunately you cannot use it for pre purchased shore excursions or specialty dining and you cannot reserve to pay onboard. If there is a tour that you expect to be sold out or that you absolutely must do I would not wait until onboard. 

You can also use for beverages especially if you do not have HIA or a drink package. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, zgscl said:

Unfortunately you cannot use it for pre purchased shore excursions or specialty dining and you cannot reserve to pay onboard. If there is a tour that you expect to be sold out or that you absolutely must do I would not wait until onboard. 

Agree that you should not wait until onboard to book popular excursions, but before covid you could call the Shore Excursions toll-free number three days prior to boarding and use OBC to book an excursion.  I check periodically to see which ones have few seats left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does HAL allow you to give left-over OBC to the Crew Fund (or whatever it is called on HAL)? 

 

I’ve never had any left on HAL, but have had a lot left on other cruise lines.  Some would allow this, others wouldn’t.  I would much rather give my OBC to the crew than buy something I don’t need.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double check the newest small print because about a year ago they(HAL) started saying OBC could be used just about anywhere except for the casino and for gratuities. In the past we had used it for the daily service fee/ hotel charge/gratuities, etc. but now, I don't know...need to check it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to what has been posted, you should know that there are two different types of OBC.  Non-refundable on board credit is what you get from HAL, and it's use it or lose it. Refundable OBC is what you get from your travel agent, and if you do not spend all of it by the end of the cruise, you can get cash, or it will go back on your credit card.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, triiip42 said:

Double check the newest small print because about a year ago they(HAL) started saying OBC could be used just about anywhere except for the casino and for gratuities. In the past we had used it for the daily service fee/ hotel charge/gratuities, etc. but now, I don't know...need to check it out.

I was planning on using ours for the gratuities.  I sure hope you can find the fine print on that and let us know.  🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, trixiee said:

I was planning on using ours for the gratuities.  I sure hope you can find the fine print on that and let us know.  🙂

I asked our PCC/TA this question a couple of times. This answer is a bit lengthy but you can see the question and the answers..

 

Q ;I noticed that we received OBC when we booked, Are there any restrictions on this OBC? Can we use it for stateroom gratuities, in room dining, beverages, etc?...A: You can use On Board Credit for any costs on board except the casino or gratuities.

 

Q: we just got an email about OSC. I copied a sentence that was in the email and have a couple of questions on it: "Onboard spending credits expires at the end of the booked Eligible Cruise and may not be used in the casino or on gratuities or other specified fees or items." What are "other specified fees or items"?....A: The only restrictions I know of as of now, would be that you can't use it in the casino or towards gratuities. .............

There was more in the answer about possible future fees that aren't known/charged yet but this gets to the question about gratuities..

 

But with how things change so quickly, you should still ask HAL to be certain at this point in time..🙃

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We have never had a problem using OBC for gratuities on any cruise line including HAL.

Agreed. For years the terms of OBC have said they can't be used for the Hotel Service Charge, but for years, they have been deducted every day when the HSC was added to my portfolio. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Agreed. For years the terms of OBC have said they can't be used for the Hotel Service Charge, but for years, they have been deducted every day when the HSC was added to my portfolio. 

 

Ditto.  But until my last cruise the casino could also be deducted and that is no longer the case.

 

Frankly, HAL would be foolish not to be used for HSC/Crew Incentive. Fewer people to run to the front desk and remove it 😉 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

Ditto.  But until my last cruise the casino could also be deducted and that is no longer the case.

I have no experience with using OBC in the casino. 
However, IIRC, my last cruise was after your last cruise. My OBC was still applied to the HSC; this was in July, 2019. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Agreed. For years the terms of OBC have said they can't be used for the Hotel Service Charge, but for years, they have been deducted every day when the HSC was added to my portfolio. 

We all need to get this clarified IMO.  It could be that Hotel Service Charge is NOT the same as gratuities?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I have no experience with using OBC in the casino. 
However, IIRC, my last cruise was after your last cruise. My OBC was still applied to the HSC; this was in July, 2019. 

You have an excellent memory 👍 

And of course, you are absolutely correct.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We all need to get this clarified IMO.  It could be that Hotel Service Charge is NOT the same as gratuities?  

 

I think it is gratuities.  I went to look at my old statement from HAL (April - May 2019) and by HAL’s OBC it says - “Promo Credits (Not Valid For Casino Or Cash)”

 

It doesn’t say not valid for HSC (now Crew Incentive).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are you ladies certain about the HSC.  I found a folio from January 2020 and the OBC (from Hal for using FCD) says Not Valid for Casino or Cash.  No mention of HSC or gratuities.

 

 

 

01/12/20 0 Promo Credits (Not Valid For Casino Or Cash) 100.00 -700.00

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

 

I think it is gratuities.  I went to look at my old statement from HAL (April - May 2019) and by HAL’s OBC it says - “Promo Credits (Not Valid For Casino Or Cash)”

 

It doesn’t say not valid for HSC (now Crew Incentive).  

Great minds etc, etc...... 😉 (and modest!)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...