Are low capacity rates reaching a concerning level?

Hard to imagine people are so clueless.

Ever hear of the CDC?

Maybe TSO?

Can you eat in restaurants near you at full capacity?  How about baseball games?

Edited by xpcdoojk
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Hard to imagine people are so clueless.

Ever hear of the CDC?

Maybe TSO?

Can you eat in restaurants near you at full capacity?  How about baseball games?

I live in NYC and yes, we can eat in restaurants at full capacity and attend full capacity baseball games. I just went to a packed club for a night out this past weekend.

All of the above require vaccinations, just like cruises.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

There you go.  Happy for your view of the world even if it is myopic.  

At least my myopic reality enables me to do all of the things I liked to do pre-COVID. Enjoy your COVID restrictions and limited capacity events.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

I am vaccinated, and anyone can do whatever they want around here for the most part.  The government is not denying them freedom to do what they want. Businesses are thriving,  

Cruises could at least be profitable if not for the government.  That is what I am saying.  Regulations are not free.  More people could have a steak dinner in NY if De Blasio wasn’t segregating people into good and bad groups.  We used to believe segregation was a bad thing.

We're getting off track of the "cruising" theme, but my only point is that, without vaccination requirements or other COVID restrictions, cruises might be profitable, but they also face the possibility of rampant sickness spreading throughout their ships. You can sit here and condemn the government for preventing cruises from making money, but let's not forget that many of RCI's COVID policies came before the CDC made them requirements.

I will not reply to further comments. I encourage you to take a more nuanced approach to the realities of cruising (norovirus anyone?) rather than calling me "myopic" because I value passenger safety aboard vessels.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, corthaus said:

We're getting off track of the "cruising" theme, but my only point is that, without vaccination requirements or other COVID restrictions, cruises might be profitable, but they also face the possibility of rampant sickness spreading throughout their ships. You can sit here and condemn the government for preventing cruises from making money, but let's not forget that many of RCI's COVID policies came before the CDC made them requirements.

I will not reply to further comments. I encourage you to take a more nuanced approach to the realities of cruising (norovirus anyone?) rather than calling me "myopic" because I value passenger safety aboard vessels.

I don't think its the vaccine requirement or the testing that he is talking about its the FACT that the CDC and the CSO are requiring them to sail at such a reduced capacity that they are hardly making a profit where as you stated that the restaurants and venues that are "fully vaccinated"  just like the cruise ships are able to be at full capacity, his point is what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

I would hate to lose the cruise industry.   I enjoy the product, find it to be a good value.  I don’t want to have to cruise NCL or Carnival.  

Why is that hard to understand.  It is not like Covid was caused by the cruise industry, and they are in fact being economically handicapped by the government.  

Seems like fairness is lacking.  

It appears that they can't even fill the ships, even at reduced capacity, that's the government's fault??

• Like 3

Just now, grandgeezer said:

It appears that they can't even fill the ships, even at reduced capacity, that's the government's fault??

Most sailings are pretty darn close to that capacity limit.

9 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I don't think its the vaccine requirement or the testing that he is talking about its the FACT that the CDC and the CSO are requiring them to sail at such a reduced capacity that they are hardly making a profit where as you stated that the restaurants and venues that are "fully vaccinated"  just like the cruise ships are able to be at full capacity, his point is what's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

A restaurant or venue on land is a hell of a lot different than a cruise ship with thousands of people crammed together in a contained space for days at a time. His and your point are irrelevant because you aren't taking into consideration the significant differences between these spaces; what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander because they are wholly dissimilar entities in this situation.

I spent maybe two hours in a fully-vaccinated restaurant last week; by comparison, I'm going to spend around 140 hours onboard my ship, near other people, during my upcoming 7-night sailing.

Unless Royal cancels our cruise we are so excited to go.  I feel this will be the safest vacation possible with everyone being vaccinated and pre testing.  Wearing a mask doesn’t faze me anymore as long as I don’t have to wear one outside in the heat.  (We won’t be getting off in port).  A quiet ship in a suite sounds wonderful to me.  Maybe the Royal suite will open. ( We are wait listed for it.)

While our restaurants are open we don’t go…..there are still many unvaccinated in our state and often they don’t wear mask or take any precautions.  It’s take out only for us.

We just flew this weekend.  The plane was completely full.  We had our grandson along so on one else was in our row.  I was uncomfortable but did it so I could see my son.  It was worth it but I’m thankful we don’t have to fly for this coming cruise.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Vera/Lee said:

Only a few things and the salesperson would hold up anything that you wanted to see closer.

Why...are the sales people less contaminated?  See, no common sense whatsoever.  Just like masks off to eat, like the air is somehow less contaminated inside the doors to the dining room...no sense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corthaus said:

His and your point are irrelevant because you aren't taking into consideration the significant differences

And I feel it's your points that are irrelevant.  How can anyone say there is any difference in an hour dinner with a full restaurant and the same thing in a dining room on ship, the diners leave that space and before another dinner is served it is cleaned just as a restaurant is.  No difference at all, except on a ship things are much more consistent and controlled just because of the confinement.  A restaurant has no control at all except for the hour it's patrons are there and even then, they are not masked.  It's an illusion and I would feel much safer on a confined ship than in a space where there is no control on where these people come from or go to that might be heavily contaminated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

And we know this how?  How do we know anything about it?  We don't even know what the capacity is or how many are sailing.  The impractical protocols are the  fault of the government, not covid.  These ships have proven many times over how well they handle Norovirus and other virus'.  It's the CDC that doesn't know how.  How safe does anyone sitting 3 inches from or even touching the person next to them on a plane think they are safe...and why would the CDC force cruise passengers to distance when the planes have never done so? None of this makes any logical sense to me, but of course people are free to have any opinion they choose.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

And we know this how?  How do we know anything about it?  We don't even know what the capacity is or how many are sailing.  The impractical protocols are the  fault of the government, not covid.  These ships have proven many times over how well they handle Norovirus and other virus'.  It's the CDC that doesn't know how.  How safe does anyone sitting 3 inches from or even touching the person next to them on a plane think they are safe...and why would the CDC force cruise passengers to distance when the planes have never done so? None of this makes any logical sense to me, but of course people are free to have any opinion they choose.

I said "it appears" not I know. I come up with this by reading different posts from people who are/were on a ship, stating the number of people on board. I doubt the Odyssey of the Seas was limited to less than 600. Also, When checking for cruises, I see cruises still on the board for the upcoming weekend.

Lastly I also noticed that all dining times were available, usually the anytime dining and early seating go pretty fast. I also see that there are very few, if any, reports of people having to check for a different cruise because it was overbooked. 

3 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

I doubt the Odyssey of the Seas was limited to less than 600.

But there are reports that there are other reasons for that as well, that have nothing to due with COVID.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I would hate to lose the cruise industry.   I enjoy the product, find it to be a good value.  I don’t want to have to cruise NCL or Carnival.  

Why is that hard to understand.  It is not like Covid was caused by the cruise industry, and they are in fact being economically handicapped by the government.  

Seems like fairness is lacking.  

You won't be loosing the cruise industry. You might have a few of the cruise line declaring bankruptcy but why, as customers, do we care? The assets will stay afloat (😉).

All that will happen is some enterprising group will buy the assets (at a big discount 💲) and rebrand them and begin to sail again. Capacity would likely decline as some of the less efficient assets get retired, so prices may go up, but cruising will survive.

Now, we might need to start posting on a brand new cruise line section here on CC and save a new bookmark to the new cruise line's website but most of us should be capable of doing that. (Yes, I'm being a glass half-full kinda guy with that one 😊)

Edited by DirtyDawg

35 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

And I feel it's your points that are irrelevant.  How can anyone say there is any difference in an hour dinner with a full restaurant and the same thing in a dining room on ship, the diners leave that space and before another dinner is served it is cleaned just as a restaurant is.  No difference at all, except on a ship things are much more consistent and controlled just because of the confinement.  A restaurant has no control at all except for the hour it's patrons are there and even then, they are not masked.  It's an illusion and I would feel much safer on a confined ship than in a space where there is no control on where these people come from or go to that might be heavily contaminated.

You are considered exposed if you spend 15 minutes with an infected person.  I can’t imagine doing a dine in dinner in NYC in under two hours.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

You are considered exposed if you spend 15 minutes with an infected person.  I can’t imagine doing a dine in dinner in NYC in under two hours.  

I think it's more like...we're all exposed every day, it is an illusion to say we are safe...anywhere.  So all these protocols are pretty much useless...it is what it is.

Just now, BecciBoo said:

I think it's more like...we're all exposed every day, it is an illusion to say we are safe...anywhere.  So all these protocols are pretty much useless...it is what it is.

Just now, BecciBoo said:

Yes, and we can only pray that a baseball game takes less than three hours.  😆  I don’t think it is the useless part that this thread is about it is simply the arbitrariness of this CDC ruling, that affects one industry and ignores the reality of the world and the disease.  It is almost like they like being intentionally wrong because they can.   

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 10:29 AM, spunks said:

we just back from the first allowed cruises on the Independence from Galveston. They were slated to go at the CDC allowable maximum of 40%....but around 200 or so were refused boarding for not having proof of Vaccination or for not having a valid covid free test within 3 days....amazing! The CDC has people on board monitoring protocol compliance so the ship will take no chances. From Galveston all over 12 passengers must be vaccinated. At Roatan one woman was pitching a screaming fit at passenger services when she found out they would not allow her unvaccinated children off at Roatan.

They are not fooling around.

We were on this cruise as well and did not hear the 200 number. We did talk to one couple who's sister did not get on becuae of it. They did not see the notifications earler about the requirement and but they were able to get a test in Galveston that day. Her sister got a test but the resultes did not come back in time. 

We were with a 7 year old and had been advised both prior to sailing and then on the ship that they could only get off in port if they had a ship excusion. We went to a beach with him in Roatan and also in Cozemel. Maybe the lady at passenger services does not feel the need to read the information, especially on this cruise. We knew things were fluid and could change quickly so checked the web sites and emails we got closly. 

We sail a lot and really enjoyed the lower passenger levels, thought the crew were great. 

On 9/1/2021 at 8:41 AM, Vera/Lee said:

The touchless elevators were nice!

Only issue I had with them was when I was reaching out to touch deck 13 with a towel in my hand and the towel's proximity to the buttons selected every odd numbered floor beneath the 13...11, 9, 7, 5, 3

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I said "it appears" not I know. I come up with this by reading different posts from people who are/were on a ship, stating the number of people on board. I doubt the Odyssey of the Seas was limited to less than 600. Also, When checking for cruises, I see cruises still on the board for the upcoming weekend.

Lastly I also noticed that all dining times were available, usually the anytime dining and early seating go pretty fast. I also see that there are very few, if any, reports of people having to check for a different cruise because it was overbooked. 

Add to all of that the threads about the cruise price dropping and getting a refund of the difference in OBC.  That's a pretty good indicator if they are lowering prices and the ship is only sailing half full to begin with.