Jump to content

Will RCCL start doing their own rapid testing at the Port for all passengers?


Recommended Posts

Do you think there is any chance that RCCL will start providing rapid testing at the port for all cruisers, not just the children? You would think that they could at least do that for those of us that has paid thousands on a cruise and save it's passengers from scrambling around trying to find testing sites just days before their cruise, not even being sure if the results will be back in time. We have an upcoming cruise in October & I am so worried that we won't be able to be tested on the day we need to have it done & also have our results back before we leave for our pre-cruise hotel. Everything will be up in the air up to a week before our cruise, since appointments don't open up for booking till a week before you need to be tested and there are a very small amount of appointments available in our area & fill up quickly. If they provide free rapid testing for B2B cruisers & kids, it should be provided for everyone at no cost, but that is just my opinion.  I don't think they realize what a hassle this is for so many people, especially where testing sites are limited.  So I guess I can just hope that the only 2 places that we have an option to go in our area, is not booked full when I try to make an appt, if they are, I guess we'll have to cancel our cruise, which we really don't want to do.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's certainly possible, but for every person that has a problem 100 people get it done.

 

I think that having 1000-2000 people having to line up and get tested at the pier would be a logistics nightmare and will have people screaming about how long and how much trouble it was getting tested at the pier.

 

Since the current process works 99% of the time, they will probably stick with it.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sort answer....no

With the availability of the Binax Now AG card test that you can order and do at home there should be  no worries to have to worry about scrambling to make appointments and risk not having your test results back in time.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Logistically it would be a nightmare asking for trouble.  Assuming majority of people would then wait to test at cruise terminal.

People cannot drop off luggage till test negative is one problem,  you cannot have 1000 to 3000 +/- waiting around for test to get done. Then wait for results then check in.  It would take how many testing stations and how long to get done?  

If worried about getting an appt for a test site and no urgent care places to walk in then order the online one that is royal accepts.  You can buy 2 for $70 or 6 for $150.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Sort answer....no

With the availability of the Binax Now AG card test that you can order and do at home there should be  no worries to have to worry about scrambling to make appointments and risk not having your test results back in time.

Thank you! Do you have to have a medical person witness this test being taken?  Where can I buy it at a decent price?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I’d rather know before a flight or 5 hour drive than at the last minute.  

True, me too.  I'm just keeping fingers crossed that we get an appt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, bren61 said:

Thank you! Do you have to have a medical person witness this test being taken?  Where can I buy it at a decent price?

 

Please double check but this should be the one that royal accepts.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU26EC2Pn0JTMl_2TvRPGTDdyQaVV7xfia20o-DmFfJlPEh11bEVz8AaAtfiEALw_wcB

 

There is another place that sells 2 for $70 that someone posted link the other day but I cannot find right now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please double check but this should be the one that royal accepts.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU26EC2Pn0JTMl_2TvRPGTDdyQaVV7xfia20o-DmFfJlPEh11bEVz8AaAtfiEALw_wcB

 

There is another place that sells 2 for $70 that someone posted link the other day but I cannot find right now.

Here is the other one.  Not sure what a decent price is, but these are the only two sites that sell this test. 

 

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

Edited by RosieRoo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please double check but this should be the one that royal accepts.

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU26EC2Pn0JTMl_2TvRPGTDdyQaVV7xfia20o-DmFfJlPEh11bEVz8AaAtfiEALw_wcB

 

There is another place that sells 2 for $70 that someone posted link the other day but I cannot find right now.

Here is link to purchase 2 for $70.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack/

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, bren61 said:

Thank you! Do you have to have a medical person witness this test being taken?  Where can I buy it at a decent price?

 

Looks like your question has already got answered...but yes it's a supervised test that you take via video. Results are given in 15 minutes all in the convenience of your home...can't get easier than that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought RCL wasn't  excepting at home testing ?   

My though was if you did take a test at like Walgreens , CVS or wherever and you have paper proof in hand that you tried and results were not back yet then and only then RCL would do the test at the pier.  

I was one of the unfortunate  travelers that got to my cruise port with no results yet and had to get a test.  I didn't  have a clue what to do so I  had a test done at the airport for $250.00.  When I  went to the pier the following  day I  found out there was a testing site down the pier doing them for $100.00.  By the way my original test results didn't  come through till Saturday I  left on Friday.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bleueyes44 said:

I thought RCL wasn't  excepting at home testing ?   

My though was if you did take a test at like Walgreens , CVS or wherever and you have paper proof in hand that you tried and results were not back yet then and only then RCL would do the test at the pier.  

I was one of the unfortunate  travelers that got to my cruise port with no results yet and had to get a test.  I didn't  have a clue what to do so I  had a test done at the airport for $250.00.  When I  went to the pier the following  day I  found out there was a testing site down the pier doing them for $100.00.  By the way my original test results didn't  come through till Saturday I  left on Friday.


If you do an at home test it must be a supervised test. In fact RC calls out the Abbott test as an example of a valid at home test on their site - https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fact that even in this thread people are still unsure about what sort of test to take and reluctant to commit to spending thousands with no fallback if test results aren't back in time/are rejected at the port, shows that RCL has to do something more than 'it's on you, if something goes wrong, tough, take your bags and go home'. Right now people can't Cruise with Confidence, and it's indefensible that the unvaccinated have testing available at the port provided by RCL but the vaccinated can't get those tests under any circumstances. So the company is sailing with much less capacity, people are canceling their cruises because of uncertainty over testing, and every person they turn away at the port costs them lost revenue, lost goodwill, and lost future business, including mine--I'll keep demanding refunds until they offer a backup option at the port. They already have testing facilities there, so why not charge people for a test as a backup for those who didn't understand the rules/didn't get results back in time? Make it $300, make them wait until all the kids have been tested, or whatever it takes, but get people on board, especially since people cruising during Delta and willing to jump through testing hoops are the customers you want to keep.  Instead, now they tell them, after they've waited to get inside, to go find a testing site and hope they get back in time to sail, while the unvaccinated are guaranteed to be tested and to sail. RCL is losing passengers like my mother, who always books suites, is Diamond level, but doesn't read email, doesn't have a webcam to do monitored test, has no idea of what a PCR or antigen test is, would be even more confused when RCL sends out the email asking guests to register for their test at the port, and she would have a heart attack if she was told she had to run around a strange city looking for a last-minute test with the risk of the ship and her luggage leaving without her.  Testing everyone at the port is a bad idea, testing only the unvaccinated at the port is offensive, allowing people to use port testing as a fallback option is the the smart and right thing to do. My next cruise will be with whoever offers that option to show they truly care about passengers and safety, otherwise I'll just fly to pleasant ocean towns that don't require tests. 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rj59 said:

The fact that even in this thread people are still unsure about what sort of test to take and reluctant to commit to spending thousands with no fallback if test results aren't back in time/are rejected at the port, shows that RCL has to do something more than 'it's on you, if something goes wrong, tough, take your bags and go home'. Right now people can't Cruise with Confidence, and it's indefensible that the unvaccinated have testing available at the port provided by RCL but the vaccinated can't get those tests under any circumstances. So the company is sailing with much less capacity, people are canceling their cruises because of uncertainty over testing, and every person they turn away at the port costs them lost revenue, lost goodwill, and lost future business, including mine--I'll keep demanding refunds until they offer a backup option at the port. They already have testing facilities there, so why not charge people for a test as a backup for those who didn't understand the rules/didn't get results back in time? Make it $300, make them wait until all the kids have been tested, or whatever it takes, but get people on board, especially since people cruising during Delta and willing to jump through testing hoops are the customers you want to keep.  Instead, now they tell them, after they've waited to get inside, to go find a testing site and hope they get back in time to sail, while the unvaccinated are guaranteed to be tested and to sail. RCL is losing passengers like my mother, who always books suites, is Diamond level, but doesn't read email, doesn't have a webcam to do monitored test, has no idea of what a PCR or antigen test is, would be even more confused when RCL sends out the email asking guests to register for their test at the port, and she would have a heart attack if she was told she had to run around a strange city looking for a last-minute test with the risk of the ship and her luggage leaving without her.  Testing everyone at the port is a bad idea, testing only the unvaccinated at the port is offensive, allowing people to use port testing as a fallback option is the the smart and right thing to do. My next cruise will be with whoever offers that option to show they truly care about passengers and safety, otherwise I'll just fly to pleasant ocean towns that don't require tests. 

I don't believe you are correct but you are going to believe what you will, the rest of us will do what we need to do to cruise.  Thanks for your opinion.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bajathree said:

Sort answer....no

With the availability of the Binax Now AG card test that you can order and do at home there should be  no worries to have to worry about scrambling to make appointments and risk not having your test results back in time.

 

The problem is, the Binax Now AG card test is gonna be harder to get as time goes on.  Someone posted that one of the major news networks mentioned them.  One of the vendors is already having a tough time keeping them in stock. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is my concern…if things continue to get worse, will this still be an option.  Since my August cruise didn’t happen for exactly the reasons mentioned throughout this thread (tests ran out - CVS cancelled), I’m not sailing now until January.  
Not sure what the shelf  life is on the tests or I would go ahead and order.  Going to explore the site to see if I can find an answer to that.

Thanks to the posters above for the links.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

That is my concern…if things continue to get worse, will this still be an option.  Since my August cruise didn’t happen for exactly the reasons mentioned throughout this thread (tests ran out - CVS cancelled), I’m not sailing now until January.  
Not sure what the shelf  life is on the tests or I would go ahead and order.  Going to explore the site to see if I can find an answer to that.

Thanks to the posters above for the links.  

I also want to know the shelf life, I would get the 6 pack if it lasts a year because we have another cruise next September.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the test at pier should be an option for those unfortunate to get the tests/results in time.  I'm not sure, how many Paxs would take a chance of traveling to the pier and not know if +/-.  I would be concerned after flying, that I would test + and waste the investment  of airfare/parking,  plus the airport hassle.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what the right solution should be, but I know I will do everything in my power to try to get a test scheduled at CVS or Walgreen and hope for the best, but I do feel that RCCL should provide a test for those that attempted to make appointments, but were unable to get in because the time slots filled quickly, or if they were tested, but don't have their results back yet. There is such a small window to get the testing done, especially for those who need to travel to get to the port or pre-cruise hotels. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises Nov 29th at 3 p.m. EST
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Holland America Line’s Black Friday Sale
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...