Jump to content

Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog


Jim_Iain
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@Jim_Iain Hi Jim, thanks again for taking us along with you. Congrats on the upgrade to the PH!

 

Quick question, since you are currently sailing and did this so recently:  do you recall whether the health questionnaire that you had to fill out the day before boarding asked if you had tested positive for Covid-19 within the last so many days (maybe 14)?   

 

We'd never lie about this.   I'm only asking because our plan is to have a rapid antigen test 2 days before we sail, and I've been wondering, in case either of us has what could be a false positive, whether to schedule a (very pricey and far less convenient) same day PCR test as a backup.  I hadn't even thought that the PCR test, if negative, might be of no value (given my hypothetical of a prior positive antigen test) until I saw that someone had posted on another thread that a guest would not pass the health screening if they said they'd had a recent positive Covid test.  And, I have no idea what Celebrity would even do with those conflicting test results in terms of allowing a guest to board.  Again, no intent here to lie about test results, I'm just asking what the health questionnaire asks, so we can decide what test(s) to take. 

 

Thanks so much, and keep enjoying your trip!! 

 

Celebrity doesn't see any of your test results.    All they see is the Negative Test that you bring with you to the port.      I had the same fear as you and had a PCR test (but couldn't guarantee 72 hours) and a Rapid Test (for a fee).   We were both negative on both tests.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't recall but I know if you click on health questionnaire early you can see the questions but not answer them.    I tried just now on our next cruise and it says  "Checkin has checked out - Please try later or complete form at pier"

 

If I recall there was a question about Testing Positive in x number of days, in close contact, Fever, Headache, nausea and even if you have been tiered.

 

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your taking the time to reply.   Someone was able to confirm in another thread that there is a question about whether you've tested positive in the past 14 days.

 

Before asking about this, I did click on the health questionnaire on the app; you can see the first bunch of questions, but not all of them (and nothing re testing); the rest are obscured by a box telling you to come back the day before sailing.  ☺️

 

St. Lucia looks beautiful; glad you were able to arrange such a nice private tour.   

Edited by Turtles06
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, funatseascott said:

We prefer Tuscan.  Murano has lobster, which is what we order there and only reason we choose that specialty restaurant.  I don’t think you can go wrong with any choices, just sharing our preference.  You can get a butcher block steak at Tuscan, if you want meat besides Italian.

We are not  big eaters.    I think the Butcher Block Steak would be large enough for Iain and I and our 3 children.  

 

We have always had impeccable service in  Muranos while the results in Tuscan have been disappointing on more than one occasion.    I'm sure on the current cruise it would be exceptional.    One time I had to get up and fill Iain's wine 2x even thought the restaurant was only about 20% filled.   After filling out an attention to detail form and reporting it the Hotel Director contacted me and had the Head Sommelier do our wine service for the remainder of the cruise and comped us a nice bottle of wine.     That was not our intent... we just thought someone would bring it the the sommelier's attention.

 

Last time on Summit a guest of ours ordered Lasagna and it was sent back 2x because it was cold inside.   3rd time she said she would just eat it even though it was only warm inside.    Kinda left a bad taste (so to speak) in m mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

We did our first private tour in St Lucia today.     We had John and Yuliia make the plans for us.  They contacted the Head of Guest Relations.    They prefer you provide them 2 days notice but they were very accommodating and jumped through the hoops to make it happen.    We didn't get final confirmation until after dinner as they had a power failure on the island. 

 

You basically just tell them what you want to do and they put it together for you.  

 

You can do it through the excursion desk or if in a suite they will meet you in the Retreat to arrange.   

Can you pay for Private Journey tour with On Board credit or do you have to charge it to your credit card? Thanks in advance, have a GREAT rest of your trip, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

We did our first private tour in St Lucia today.     We had John and Yuliia make the plans for us.  They contacted the Head of Guest Relations.    They prefer you provide them 2 days notice but they were very accommodating and jumped through the hoops to make it happen.    We didn't get final confirmation until after dinner as they had a power failure on the island. 

 

You basically just tell them what you want to do and they put it together for you.  

 

You can do it through the excursion desk or if in a suite they will meet you in the Retreat to arrange.   

I’m so glad you both had a great time.  We loved your pictures!!  Also good info on doing a private excursion.  I saw the ones Celebrity puts up for far more then what you paid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

To repeat what's been said a bit earlier, set up your phone at home for wifi calling.  Then your phone works just like it does at home on the ship's wifi = texting and calling and data.  No need to make a call over your cell provider's land network ever, unless you get off the ship.  I take my T-Mo phone out of airplane mode and turn off wifi on land to check my credit card or bank apps.  But I also check financials aboard by activating my VPN first.  I don't leave the VPN on continually because it does slow down and already pretty slow wifi.  Before you leave home, try searching in your phone's setting for wifi calling.  It's there.  Doesn't matter what brand.  Then turn it on.  Make a call.  It works.  Then you're done.  That's for all brands of phones.  It's not a secret handshake kind of thing.  BTW, I leave wifi calling as my default.  When I'm not on wifi, it uses T-Mo.  Never think about it.

If you want to use  VPN make sure you download and activate pre-cruise.    If you try to google sites like NordVPN it blocks the URL.     I have it installed and use it for location shifting.   I just tried it and am connected to Atlanta

 

image.png.87d22cded27fe7723b8d199c0f2ff1ef.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Ok that's what caused them to implement a tighter restriction. I was wondering. Thanks for this info. I was told that our Equinox sailing was the third one.

 

What did you do in St Lucia? Would love to see pics and hear about it. Thanks.

We only went to the pier shopping area, so no pictures or real fun.  On a side note, it was a productive stop.  I love the Chairman’s Reserve Spiced Rum from here, so picked up a few bottles.  It’s one of my favorites and not costly at all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Download the TunnelBear app.  Very, very simple and works on anything connected to wifi.  If you don't use it often, the free version should be more than enough for most.  And any phone will work in wifi calling.  The carriers don't want you to know about this because then you don't spend megabucks on daily data or phone calls.  Wifi calling costs them revenue.  But the phone manufacturers include in when they build the phones.  Please don't say it doesn't work until you've tried first, at home.  

I agree TunnelBear works well on all Celebrity ships.    I used it on a TA.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

 

Does that mean we can get off and just explore the port, like in Dominica and st lucia?

 

Yes -   I asked and the same will be true in St Maarten.   Not sure about St. Kits.    We are the first ship to port since the pandemic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

All aboard was 4pm so sail should have been 4:30p.

It's now 430 and we're still tied to the pier.

 

Last time this happened, we changed ports to st Thomas.

 

Wonder what changes are being made now?

(Please let it be Aruba and curacao so at least I can get off the ship without ship excursion.)

 

I think All Aboard at 4:00 is due to the curfew at 4:00.   We are not set to sail until either 5:30 or 6:00.

Original  schedule was 6:00 but I thought the Captain said 5:30 this  morning.    The curfew is explained in the daily under information but doesn't show sail away time --- strange.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

All aboard was 4pm so sail should have been 4:30p.

It's now 430 and we're still tied to the pier.

 

Last time this happened, we changed ports to st Thomas.

 

Wonder what changes are being made now?

(Please let it be Aruba and curacao so at least I can get off the ship without ship excursion.)

 

Captain is on the PA now..     5:47 now and final preparations are underway, we should be setting sail shortly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sdnich said:

I look forward to following you on your trip. I do remember following you on your trip in March 2020 when the world came to a halt!! Have a great time we don’t have a  cruise until September 2022  east coast Canada (A reschedule of our Sept 2020 )! We actually should’ve been in Vancouver doing Pacific coastal this week!!

Thanks.    We have never done Pacific Coastal but would be interesting as we live South of San Francisco.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

If you want to use  VPN make sure you download and activate pre-cruise.    If you try to google sites like NordVPN it blocks the URL.     I have it installed and use it for location shifting.   I just tried it and am connected to Atlanta

 

image.png.87d22cded27fe7723b8d199c0f2ff1ef.png

Unfortunately my bank blocks ip's from both my vpn programs no matter which usa City I connect to as well as opera browser's built in vpn 😞

 

Edited by fstuff1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bejay219 said:

Can you pay for Private Journey tour with On Board credit or do you have to charge it to your credit card? Thanks in advance, have a GREAT rest of your trip, 

 

Great question.   The main reason we booked it was that we have  so much OBC.    You have to charge it to your onboard account not credit card so YES.    You can use your OBC for Private Journey.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

Great question.   The main reason we booked it was that we have  so much OBC.    You have to charge it to your onboard account not credit card so YES.    You can use your OBC for Private Journey.

Can you use your OBC to leave extra tips for the butler, room attendant, waiters and waitresses, etc?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Can you use your OBC to leave extra tips for the butler, room attendant, waiters and waitresses, etc?  

 

I reconfirmed today that YES you can use your OBC and direct it to an INDIVIDUAL as oppose to a tip pool.    

 

If you want a tip to go to an individual you write the person's name and position on the card (there is no place for it just write it anywhere). 

 

If you want it to go to a restaurant like Murano you specify the restaurant. 

 

If you check a box like Stateroom Attendant or Butler it goes to the pool

 

I was told the Concierge could help me do it and even put in their employee number.

 

I had previously been told this by an HR Director who physically applied the tips but wanted to confirm again as I want to use some of my OBC for extra tips instead of buying something we don't want or need.

  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

I reconfirmed today that YES you can use your OBC and direct it to an INDIVIDUAL as oppose to a tip pool.    

 

If you want a tip to go to an individual you write the person's name and position on the card (there is no place for it just write it anywhere). 

 

If you want it to go to a restaurant like Murano you specify the restaurant. 

 

If you check a box like Stateroom Attendant or Butler it goes to the pool

 

I was told the Concierge could help me do it and even put in their employee number.

 

I had previously been told this by an HR Director who physically applied the tips but wanted to confirm again as I want to use some of my OBC for extra tips instead of buying something we don't want or need.

That's good to know.  I don't have alot of OBC for 9/17 cruise.  But I do have quite a bit for my cruise next Jan & April. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Unfortunately my bank blocks ip's from both my vpn programs no matter which usa City I connect to as well as opera browser's built in vpn 😞

 

Mine does too if I go to the website through a browser.  It does let me through if I open the VPN on my phone then connect to my bank thru the app, not the website.  I'm sure it depends on the bank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

Unfortunately my bank blocks ip's from both my vpn programs no matter which usa City I connect to as well as opera browser's built in vpn 😞

 


there is a lot written about China blocking some vpns and not others and then switching around.  Is it possible you bank might handle surf easy?  I think that’s the one I had in Hong Kong!   There are several that are suggested for use in various countries.  Hubby’s been able to go online from wired machines, but the banking is set up differently for him to do that.  Dish tv was the first time he’d had the problem and their IT expert that was onboard because of new software doubted vpn would work, perhaps because of what you experienced.  I was the last one asked and had I think surf easy downloaded so I tried it and succeeded.  
 

id seriously, recommend several if you travel much, that trip was 2 months long!  
 

glad to hear about tunnel ear, who knows if Norton, which was free to me will always work! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.    We have never done Pacific Coastal but would be interesting as we live South of San Francisco.  

We are east coasters and enjoyed the Pacific Coastal itin.. Great ports and tours.. It was  a nice relaxing cruise along the w coast  & ended just before big fires out there.... It was one of our fav cruises although Infinity was showing her age.

 

After that cruise , we booked the east  coast Summit itin that would have included Newport,  Charleston....

 

It was not to be thanks to the  start of Covid..which is why we have a big FCC..

 

The uncertainty of the Celeb delay in pulling the plug made us VERY nervous so we cancelled before X did. We ended up with a 50% cash refund and the big FCC which we hope to use in Jan.. ..after so many cancellations and a lift and shift  to Reflection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2021
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Enjoy the Gift of Travel with Regent Seven Seas Cruises
      • ICYMI Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with Silversea Cruises
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...