Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Personal Tours were indeed available at the end of the pier.    Originally it was stated it was impossible but just before arrival a request to the Government made it possible.   We are the first ship to port for the season so things are a work in progress.

Thanks for clarification.  I've contacted your tour company, but will be prepared to work through the ship if necessary.  Told them that you had recommended RRRRRafael!

• Like 3

Jim' I am going to ask a favor as you have time on your next cruise. My friend and I are planning on booking a suite. Would like to know,other than price, the differences between Royal Suite and Penthouse. I know size and Penthouse is aft. Do you get more perks in a penthouse. Does the butler do more for you? Will the butler bring drinks from the bar if you are sitting on your balcony? Just any info you can share to make our decision easier.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

1 hour ago, barbette165 said:

Whenever Jim starts a live blog, I have a little competition to try and guess the page in the thread that has the first occurrence of "Lain". It came much later than I guessed this time, but as Jim says, it's been a chatty thread.

And I have to admit, I was one of the bad ones not saying or spelling it correctly.  I humbly apologize and look forward to apologizing in person as well.  With the internet overuse of capital letter, lowercase, shortened, etc…. I was lulled into saying it wrong.

Hi Jim - absolutely loving every moment of your trip.  

Quick question:  on another thread you had mentioned that you need to show your vax cards when leaving the ship.  Can you just show your phone app (like NYS Excelsior app) with all your vax info on it or must it be the actual card?

89 more days - but who's counting😉

Thanks, Jim!  Can't wait for Part 2.

Carole

5 hours ago, ymncruise said:

It looks like you’ve been having great weather! I was wondering if you book your future cruises while you’re on board. 

We haven't booked anything so far.    We have  a B2B2B booked for Silhouette March through April.  

I was thinking of  buying some  Book Later Cruise Certificates.    They are good for 90 days to  book.   They are non-refundable so would  need to track them.  I think we are being a bit cautious and see how things go in the  next couple weeks.  

• Like 1

Pics from St Kitts and recommendation for lunch.  We usually eat on 2nd floor to the right as you enter the shopping area, but it was closed.  We started shopping/wandering down the 1st side street to the right.  I posted a pic of the side street to give reference.  At the end and just around the corner turned out to be a great place for lunch.  Sweet Cane Restaurant and Bar.  3 other couples were in the restaurant during the time we were there and all of them commented on how good the food was.  I like looking for Caribbean Jerk chicken when on the islands, as usually spicier and tastier, and this place didn’t disappoint.  I also had a “spiced just right” cheeseburger (how they described it in the menu), but I added their jerk sauce to spice it up.  Sophia had the grouper and was very happy with it as the plate was cleaned when she finished, which isn’t the case for most lunches.

We talked with the owners and they were so happy to get cruise ship business, as we were the 1st ship for 18 months.  For our cruise and probably future cruises for a period of time, they put up a fence around the shopping area with guards to ensure people don’t leave on their own.  This restaurant, even though in the pier, has done well serving the locals.  With many restaurants closed in the pier area, one can tell which places the locals visit. To us, that is a sign of good food.

The shopping area was very quiet, compared to past visits.  We remember parades down the center street and multiple people with monkeys taking pictures of the tourists who didn’t know it was going to cost them to get the monkey off of them.  We bought stuff to give some vendors business as we feel sorry for the struggles these islands have gone thru with no tourists.

CF85E488-9B16-4B43-AB58-B65B3666F0F1.jpeg

1D246EED-C4D6-4DCA-93F4-F927789F86FD.jpeg

09A62A17-E266-445F-8E66-10CD463970BA.jpeg

AF5E8AC7-81DF-49DE-8864-3A19C2C33E51.jpeg

220C9480-FB84-4145-A468-E5EB7FA9EA64.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laurab23 said:

Jim' I am going to ask a favor as you have time on your next cruise. My friend and I are planning on booking a suite. Would like to know,other than price, the differences between Royal Suite and Penthouse. I know size and Penthouse is aft. Do you get more perks in a penthouse. Does the butler do more for you? Will the butler bring drinks from the bar if you are sitting on your balcony? Just any info you can share to make our decision easier.

Thanks in advance.

Laura

I will update one we are in the Penthouse but on previous cruises, each level adds little additional perks.   Afternoon snacks are one.   In the  Penthouses  you usually get larger snacks e.g. instead of 6-8 shrimp  on a platter  you get more like a tray.  We are not big eaters so I usually ask them to not deliver them daily. 

The Bath Amenities  in the RS and PS are a different product than SS and I believe CS.  I will have to post a close up of the label -  they have some comments that are hysterical.

6AEF602E-84F8-4973-96F7-8D04E3518E3F.thumb.png.a4c88db8cf1f5b7bc1a5e8b4c09da342.png

last line of first paragraph

E116C54D-E88E-4185-8F52-2430579D73D5.thumb.png.78bab2cfdcc2cc05b6c8a833f28069f2.png

ingredients and Made in Canada 🇨🇦 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CruiseNYC said:

Hi Jim - absolutely loving every moment of your trip.  

Quick question:  on another thread you had mentioned that you need to show your vax cards when leaving the ship.  Can you just show your phone app (like NYS Excelsior app) with all your vax info on it or must it be the actual card?

89 more days - but who's counting😉

Thanks, Jim!  Can't wait for Part 2.

Carole

I'll ask today but I  would think you could use a photo copy and slide into one of those folders.   They security never actually look at them closely just want to see you flash it at them.  

We promised the chef we wouldn’t share pictures of the special dinner prepared last night, so can’t share all the pictures.  Sophia is from Singapore and we haven’t been able to travel back to Singapore or take a side trip while there to visit Bali, Indonesia.  Sophia knows multiple languages and loves talking to the various staff in their native languages.  During the talks with the chefs and waiters, they found out that Sophia was missing some of the food back “home”.  The Executive Chef allowed them to make some special dishes, but they made them in larger quantities in the kitchen as they served the staff the local food in their crew dining area.  Not only was it special for us, but Celebrity/Chef made it special for the staff as well.  Great management/leadership!!  Here are some of the other dishes.  I ordered meatballs and the white pizza for appetizers.  I put some of the meatballs on the pizza, but great on its own as well.  I also had spaghetti and meatballs for my main dish.  Sophia had Minestrone soup for starters, then her special dishes for the rest.

As others have stated, the staff is exceptional and wants to please each of us.  Don’t hesitate to interact with the staff and/or make special requests.  You might get something special and you might also allow the staff to get something special as well.

C4A65890-F4B4-47D2-836C-87DFE9D0D1FF.jpeg

B18F1F29-7EC3-4102-8882-9B5D0303486A.jpeg

0343C769-8E96-4EA9-8CC8-88D4064E11D6.jpeg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll ask today but I  would think you could use a photo copy and slide into one of those folders.   They security never actually look at them closely just want to see you flash it at them.  

We used a photocopy of the vaccine cards to get off the ship and show on the island.  I’m guessing an app would work as well, but I know a photocopy works.

We had the special lunch in Murano today.  They open for lunch once during the cruise.  Sophia had the risotto again but was thinner/more watery then the dinner version.  It was “lighter” for the lunch menu.  I had a petite fillet for my “appetizer”.  We both had lobster for lunch and shared a lamb entree.  Heavy lunch for me but skipped breakfast to save room.  I skipped dessert but Sophia at least tried a couple offerings.

FAFF4F54-827D-454F-8267-CD0217696E2B.jpeg

87AECD5D-F043-41C8-8325-5F23FC0333A0.jpeg

D58D39E4-B53D-4DD7-B160-51528FC80522.jpeg

3FC3BE84-358B-4837-B98B-48D4B64D6543.jpeg

A007148F-4AE8-465D-952F-E710E2BAB08B.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks for your wonderful (as always) review Jim. I was so pleased when you started your thread, I said to myself "cruising is back baby"! As you know, many of us who have have had multiple cruises cancelled over the last 18 months are living vicariously through you and a lot of fun it is too 🤩.

I just saw an interesting post on Cruise Industry News about Equinox docking in St Kitts which stated "all passengers onboard the ship have been fully vaccinated, with the exception of one person under the age of 12". If true, that's very reassuring.

Keep on having a fabulous cruise Jim and Iain 🙏.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, funatseascott said:

We used a photocopy of the vaccine cards to get off the ship and show on the island.  I’m guessing an app would work as well, but I know a photocopy works.

Good to hear.   I just don't like carrying my original for fear of loosing it.     I do have a copy on my phone as well as our State of California Covid ID Check.

• Like 1

Iain had the wine pairing.  Our experience was somewhat tainted as only one other couple showed up. 

F2FE305F-FA45-411A-BC46-9786623AA846.thumb.jpeg.36e98d380b6476043fb13fd76982cff5.jpeg

pre dinner presentation in Retreat

7887D869-C064-4DB9-9B6A-AA9EFB863344.thumb.jpeg.29530aa8301caf7e926c3af0070a5494.jpeg

501E7B52-2FCB-46F2-AD81-243B3A0AF2EB.thumb.jpeg.2e2cd042572e78507d0a7e734d06adc4.jpeg

86A1734E-C901-4C12-96FE-EADB3E360C6E.thumb.jpeg.2fc322ac968db5b7524d704386c9e82b.jpeg

13B2306C-0DD5-4EC2-970B-8691CEF16658.thumb.jpeg.db632c7c625c3da578977e8bfa159cf4.jpeg

2F4BE1B9-1059-41E9-AE33-862273D61D55.jpeg

7859ADBB-038A-4005-A1AA-0717243EADF1.jpeg

7FC3A1C0-35E2-4D67-9031-F89C11C935C7.jpeg

2DDDEB7C-B512-410C-B5BB-2CC441A9BECB.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, CruiseNYC said:

Thank you both!  I normally go off the ship with just my phone and seapass.  I'll make a copy and keep that in my pocket, too.

They have never asked for it ashore but the Security Staff departing the ship won't let you off with out it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eloise4Ever said:

Thanks for your wonderful (as always) review Jim. I was so pleased when you started your thread, I said to myself "cruising is back baby"! As you know, many of us who have have had multiple cruises cancelled over the last 18 months are living vicariously through you and a lot of fun it is too 🤩.

I just saw an interesting post on Cruise Industry News about Equinox docking in St Kitts which stated "all passengers onboard the ship have been fully vaccinated, with the exception of one person under the age of 12". If true, that's very reassuring.

Keep on having a fabulous cruise Jim and Iain 🙏.

I originally heard their were no children on the ship but at the first port say one child about 18 month old.   Really cute little girl and was wearing a mask. 

3 hours ago, micheleata said:

I always enjoy reading your reviews, and I can't wait for the rest of it!

Feel free to jump in any time.    We have some great people on the thread and they have so much information to share.

Thanks for sharing the picture of the  Lawn Club movie.    So far have seen no one on the lawn, but haven't been up there at movie time.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

Jim, how did you make reservations for Chef’s Table? We’ve been looking for this online and it is not available and when we called Celebrity over the weekend they said it was not able to be done on the phone either. Can we make the reservations once we board? Thank you in advance.

Chef’s Table looked wonderful! I didn’t even realize Celebrity was offering Chef’s Table right now; I have enjoyed it on other cruise lines; wasn’t sure if we should be hesitant right now because of possible several hour exposure if someone at the dinner turns up positive.  But it looks so tempting!