I-phone Messaging

56 minutes ago, Goldenaero5 said:

Question... Will the wifi you get  for the carnival hub app also work to send iphone text messages to other guests onboard or what wifi plan would we all need to purchase?

No, the chat feature on the Hub app only works to other people on the hub app.  I purchased the medium internet plan for one day and I was able to send iMessages to people back home

1 hour ago, pc2425 said:

No, the chat feature on the Hub app only works to other people on the hub app.  I purchased the medium internet plan for one day and I was able to send iMessages to people back home

so if we all have the hub app on our phones there is a chat feature? This will be our first cruise in a few years so have never used the app. Thank you 

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

There is a $5 texting only plan but others have to pay it too.

12 minutes ago, Goldenaero5 said:

so if we all have the hub app on our phones there is a chat feature? This will be our first cruise in a few years so have never used the app. Thank you 

Its $5 and everyone has to pay to chat or text. Not free.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goldenaero5 said:

Question... Will the wifi you get  for the carnival hub app also work to send iphone text messages to other guests onboard or what wifi plan would we all need to purchase?

And note that the Wifi plan on the ship (even the premium plan) may not support iMessage at all (for contact with folks back on land).  There are reports of some being able to use it, but they're sporadic, and the Wifi FAQ mentions that it's not supported.

Communicating on the ship (as mentioned above) = $5, through the hub app. Make sure your phone doesn't put the app to sleep or you'll miss notifications.

Communicating on and off the ship = even with Wifi, you'll likely need the hub chat feature and have to figure out a way to maintain contact.  (Roommate on the Breeze last month used FB messenger because it worked.)

• Like 1

We had the chat feature on MG and it worked sporadically.  I would send a message to my sister and it would show it went on my phone but she never received it. This happened quite a bit. When it worked it was great ha.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Goldenaero5 said:

hi @Goldenaero5, we were on horizon a month ago.  i purchased the lowest level wifi b/c all i wanted was imessage.  it wouldn't work with that level.  had to get the 2nd level wifi to get it to work.  i believe it used to work with the lowest level, but it appears they have since blocked it on the lowest level.  the last two cruises (mar 2020 yeah we were on last cruise to go out, jul 2021) required 2nd level wifi.

• Like 1

Also, the hub app chat feature does not have any notification capability. So if you do get a message, you will not know it until the next time you open the hub app and look at it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Also, the hub app chat feature does not have any notification capability. So if you do get a message, you will not know it until the next time you open the hub app and look at it.

That may be a setting or something they have upgraded. I received notifications throughout the cruise on the Breeze. (Both activities related like upcoming dining reservations and also incoming chats.) Apparently YEMV.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brkintx said:

That may be a setting or something they have upgraded. I received notifications throughout the cruise on the Breeze. (Both activities related like upcoming dining reservations and also incoming chats.) Apparently YEMV.

Thanks for the update.

It has been a couple of years since my last Carnival sailing. Glad to hear of the upgrade.