Jump to content

Sky vs Escape


Lbicklel
 Share

Recommended Posts

We have come to the unfortunate decision we need to postpone our November 14 Encore into next year.  We have sailed on the Escape twice previously.  I always liked the range of activities overall I would say it was too large. I know the Encore and Breakaway are similar.

 

For the dates and itinerary that we want our choices are the Breakaway or the Sky or jumping over to Celebrity Equinox.  I feel like the Breakaway is reasonably similar to the Escape but I can’t get a good feel for the Sky (or Equinox.)

 

Can anyone give me insight into the Sky? I haven’t had much luck trying to search. We are a group of three 50-something sisters and our 70-something aunt and 81 yr old Mom.  I have previously sailed on the Disney magic and did love the smaller size of the ship. We aren’t interested in mini golf or waterslides or virtual reality rooms or go carts or any of that kind of thing. We like comfortable places to hang out and visit - preferably outdoors, all the fun onboard activities especially in the evenings (not necessarily bars or nightclubs but we enjoy the shows in the atrium, bingo, deal or no deal, those kinds of things), a decent amount of sea day activities to choose from, good shows, good drinks, and very important good food.  We love the waterfront on the Escape.  We like to spend some time in the casino.

 

For those familiar with the Sky: does it meet those wants?

 

TIA!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

NCL Sky is one of the oldest and smallest ships in the NCL fleet.  The Escape is one of the biggest and newest in the NCL fleet.

 

Never been on the Sky, but have sailed the Escape and Breakaway.  Escape, is one of my favorite ships sailing from any cruise line (running a close 2nd to the Celebrity Edge).  Breakaway is one of the first to incorporate the outside areas as part of the NCL ships’ design language (which I like a lot).

 

NCL Sky has had a storied past.  She was originally build for Costa Cruise lines, but they backed out of the deal.  Pullmantour Cruise Lines was supposed to have owned her briefly, too. But, I couldn’t confirm that.  The Sky also ran aground at one point.  

 

Not sure if any of that matters to you, though.  Agree that itinerary would be a gating factor, too.

Edited by graphicguy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been on the Sky 4 times (once when she was new, 3 times to Cuba) I have done over 50 cruises & my husband & I agree she is the best ship we have ever sailed on. Perfect size, hallways are wider,  wonderful old fashioned wood decks,  plenty of places to sit & hang out. Nice outdoor buffet area in the back. Best crew ever.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

What’s the itinerary for the 3 ships mentioned and when?

 

There are different versions I have eastern Caribbean. It’s the breakaway May 22, the sky May 16th, or the equinox May 21.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lbicklel said:

There are different versions I have eastern Caribbean. It’s the breakaway May 22, the sky May 16th, or the equinox May 21.

 

I had a look at the 3 .... I'd choose Sky 9 days, hands down. Better itinerary than the other 2.

 

We have not been on the Sky but have been on all others (except Joy, as well) but we would not hesitate to book Sky, due to itinerary and size of ship, and nice pool deck with 2 large pools (larger than Breakaway!). We have been on Sky's sister ship Sun 3 times and loved her.

 

I think Sky is better suited to you all, knowing all your ages.

 

If you think the balcony cabins are too pricy, the oceanview cabins are fine. Just avoid deck 6 as access to deck 6 cabins is via stairs (cabin category OB & OH).

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

 

I had a look at the 3 .... I'd choose Sky 9 days, hands down. Better itinerary than the other 2.

 

We have not been on the Sky but have been on all others (except Joy, as well) but we would not hesitate to book Sky, due to itinerary and size of ship, and nice pool deck with 2 large pools (larger than Breakaway!). We have been on Sky's sister ship Sun 3 times and loved her.

 

I think Sky is better suited to you all, knowing all your ages.

 

If you think the balcony cabins are too pricy, the oceanview cabins are fine. Just avoid deck 6 as access to deck 6 cabins is via stairs (cabin category OB & OH).

 

 

Thanks for the input. I absolutely agree that the Sky itinerary is the best, and the  Breakaway the least interesting. But with this group the ship is just as important.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sailed the Sky twice but I personally would go for a mega ship in a heartbeat. But that's not your question. :classic_tongue:

 

But.. If your original booking was on the Encore the Sky is a whole different game, smaller, older, a lot less to do, a small buffet, minimal specialty dining, small (bath)rooms and probably lots more to mention. It does fit what you wish though!

 

The Sky in my experience is good for short trips to GSC, MDR dinners, a stroll over the life boat deck and Latitude points for the same average costs as your mortgage/rent and staying at home would cost. :classic_biggrin:

 

Now Celebrity is a step up, although Equinox was not Revolutionized I think and thus not offer the latest X experience in hard product. But the good food will be X over NCL and the demographic and lack of really late night entertainment (into the wee hours) might suit your needs more than you might think and I mean that in a positive manner! Sky might be a a younger drinking crowd versus Equinox being more aged and sophisticated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Comparing the Sky and Escape is like comparing apples to watermelons.  Its not a fair comparison.  I've been on Sky twice and she is a very nice ship.  However after the remodel, NCL is charging similar pricing as the newer mega ships.  That's what keeps me from going on the Sky again.  We like big spas, lots of specialty dining, Broadway shows, etc.  The Sky is nice with conventional cruise like entertainment and has the basics.  Pricing should not be the same as the other ships and never used to be.  If you get a good deal, I say go for it.  But if the price is similar to Escape, I say no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 9:41 PM, Lbicklel said:

Can anyone give me insight into the Sky? I haven’t had much luck trying to search. We are a group of three 50-something sisters and our 70-something aunt and 81 yr old Mom.  I have previously sailed on the Disney magic and did love the smaller size of the ship. We aren’t interested in mini golf or waterslides or virtual reality rooms or go carts or any of that kind of thing. We like comfortable places to hang out and visit - preferably outdoors, all the fun onboard activities especially in the evenings (not necessarily bars or nightclubs but we enjoy the shows in the atrium, bingo, deal or no deal, those kinds of things), a decent amount of sea day activities to choose from, good shows, good drinks, and very important good food.  We love the waterfront on the Escape.  We like to spend some time in the casino.

 

For those familiar with the Sky: does it meet those wants?

You are comparing a sub-compact car to a luxury car. That being said, we drive a luxury car and don't use half the gadgets that it comes with. We use our fancy radio to listen to NPR and news radio. 

 

All of your favorite game shows and things will be available on the Sky. She is a much smaller ship, so it is easier to get around. For us, when we're on a small ship, we miss the Waterfront and being about to sit outside watching the sea and reading a book. 

 

The Sky recently went through a major dry dock where all of her public areas were demolished down to the deck plates and rebuilt. And most of the staterooms have been refreshed to be more contemporary. The Sky use to be the Pride of Aloha and sailed the Hawaiian itinerary (before Pride of America),,, so she use to have a lot of Hawaiian décor, which we will miss. 

 

We have sailed on the Escape 4 times and the Sky around 6 times in the past. 

 

For a brief peek at the Sky, click on the NCL video below. 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't been on the Sky, but have been on both the Escape and the Equinox. I actually loved them both. The food and the service on the Equinox was second to none. The Escape has more bars and more activities. Different experiences, but you can't go wrong on either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have been on Sky, Escape and Just off Equinox.  I would recommend the Equinox for you and your group - sounds like that’s what you decided anyway!  Sky is older and smaller, Escape is huge but we do love the Waterfront concept, and Equinox is just wonderful - our favorite overall experience in over 20 cruises...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...