Denied boarding for Harmony of the Seas from Barcelona- due to Covid positive result at the terminal

sugarny123

We're family of four traveling from NY to Barcelona to get on the Harmony of the seas on 8/29.

Sadly, my husband tested positive at the terminal and we were immediately placed in a hotel for 10 day quarantine.

Today is our 7th day and Harmony of the seas returned to Barcelona today.

At the terminal, RC booked this hotel for us, Fira Congress. Upon arrival, hotel front desk had 2 keys ready for us without the usual check-in process of giving my credit card info. I asked and the hotel staff told me they only deal with the agency and does not bill customers.

I contacted the RC with the given tel number and wanted to make sure that the hotel stay is covered by RC. The agent personally told me he would be upset if it wasn't covered by RC and he transferred me to the "Care team".

RC has a specific "Care Team" that handles Covid related cases. Care team was very helpful and they are available to reach 24/7.

Care Team also confirmed that the hotel stay and food would be covered by RC and also arranged pre-flight testing a day before our flight back home on the 8th. Although we're in a terrible situation, I felt that RC is on our side and helping us in this misery.

But this morning, I got a call from the front desk that all charges would have to be paid by us and that is about 3098 Euros.

I emailed the Care Team and waiting for their response but I wonder if anyone else was in our shoes?

Edited by sugarny123
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Just to update, I quickly got a reply from the Care team and they replied:

Thank you for letting us know about this phone call. Royal Caribbean will be covering all of the room expenses and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware. Very sorry for any misunderstanding this may have caused. 

For anyone who's considering to Cruise outside their home country, I hope you to be aware and be prepared.

Edited by sugarny123
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

• sugarny123 changed the title to Denied boarding for Harmony of the Seas from Barcelona- due to Covid positive result at the terminal
1 hour ago, sugarny123 said:

Just to update, I quickly got a reply from the Care team and they replied:

Thank you for letting us know about this phone call. Royal Caribbean will be covering all of the room expenses and we will ensure that the hotel is made aware. Very sorry for any misunderstanding this may have caused. 

For anyone who's considering to Cruise outside their home country, I hope you to be aware and be prepared.

thank you for sharing your story.  First, I hope your husband is much better, and that the rest of you are fine,   It’s good to hear that Royal is arranging all quarantine costs for you.   Best wishes for a negative trip and safe return home.  

edit.

Edited by BSocial
Typos
  • Like 2

So sorry you missed your cruise but thank you for sharing your story.  It was nice to hear Royal Caribbean stepped up to help.  Your sorry will surely alleviate the concerns other cruisers might have had should they be found in the same situation. 

• Like 2

Wonder how long Royal is going to keep covering these expenses? I assume you got 2 keys, 2 rooms? One that your husband stayed in by himself for the 10 days

Did you and the others at least get a chance to go out and explore Barcelona?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Pretty unlikely, they had to quarantine ;-)!

No just the person tested positive has to go into quarantine but also the close contacts which means all of the family has to go into quarantine.

NCL just recently changed their policy. They now recommend a test before you fly (especially overseas). If you´ve got a pre-flight test result and are tested postive prior to boarding then they cover all expenses of the quarantine. If you don´t have a test done prior to flying you have to pay on your own (unless you have insurance but first you pay and then you might get your money back from insurance).

steamboats

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Wonder how long Royal is going to keep covering these expenses? I assume you got 2 keys, 2 rooms? One that your husband stayed in by himself for the 10 days

The Covid assistance plan is in place until the Oct. 31, but I’ve also seen Dec. 31 in the cancellation provision - so by the end of the year. We’ll have to wait until then to see if it is renewed, replaced with something less generous, or just allowed to expire.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

OP, I am sorry to hear about your husband and hope he is better.  Terrible you all missed the cruise but at least Royal is covering the charges.  Did anyone else in your family get it?  Best of luck to all of you in testing negative and getting back home soon.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sugarny123 said:

We're family of four traveling from NY to Barcelona to get on the Harmony of the seas on 8/29.

Sadly, my husband tested positive at the terminal and we were immediately placed in a hotel for 10 day quarantine.

Today is our 7th day and Harmony of the seas returned to Barcelona today.

At the terminal, RC booked this hotel for us, Fira Congress. Upon arrival, hotel front desk had 2 keys ready for us without the usual check-in process of giving my credit card info. I asked and the hotel staff told me they only deal with the agency and does not bill customers.

I contacted the RC with the given tel number and wanted to make sure that the hotel stay is covered by RC. The agent personally told me he would be upset if it wasn't covered by RC and he transferred me to the "Care team".

RC has a specific "Care Team" that handles Covid related cases. Care team was very helpful and they are available to reach 24/7.

Care Team also confirmed that the hotel stay and food would be covered by RC and also arranged pre-flight testing a day before our flight back home on the 8th. Although we're in a terrible situation, I felt that RC is on our side and helping us in this misery.

But this morning, I got a call from the front desk that all charges would have to be paid by us and that is about 3098 Euros.

I emailed the Care Team and waiting for their response but I wonder if anyone else was in our shoes?

Thanks for sharing your experience.  Have you all been retested yet?  How many days prior to flying do you have to be tested?  You’re flying back on Sept 8th?  Safe travels to you and your family.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Pretty unlikely, they had to quarantine ;-)!

No just the person tested positive has to go into quarantine but also the close contacts which means all of the family has to go into quarantine.

NCL just recently changed their policy. They now recommend a test before you fly (especially overseas). If you´ve got a pre-flight test result and are tested postive prior to boarding then they cover all expenses of the quarantine. If you don´t have a test done prior to flying you have to pay on your own (unless you have insurance but first you pay and then you might get your money back from insurance).

steamboats

Well that sucks, a wasted 10 days and a very expensive flights for 4 people. Hope they had insurance of some kind to cover that?

10 minutes ago, Babr said:

The Covid assistance plan is in place until the Oct. 31, but I’ve also seen Dec. 31 in the cancellation provision - so by the end of the year. We’ll have to wait until then to see if it is renewed, replaced with something less generous, or just allowed to expire.

That will cover all of the Europe sailings for this year at least. We were due to be on Harmony in 18 days but we shifted it to September 2022. Would be just our luck we would have been in same situation as OP coming all the way from Virginia.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Well that sucks, a wasted 10 days and a very expensive flights for 4 people. Hope they had insurance of some kind to cover that?

That will cover all of the Europe sailings for this year at least. We were due to be on Harmony in 18 days but we shifted it to September 2022. Would be just our luck we would have been in same situation as OP coming all the way from Virginia.

Wete you allowed to shift? Or did you just cancel and rebook? 

I don't want to seem like a spoil sport but I don't understand why Royal had to pick up the hotel bill.

Even if the OP tested negative before traveling to the port and somehow was infected on the way, how is it Royal's responsibility?

True it was very nice of them to do it, but why does everyone  here expect them to do it.

I emailed about how long the coverage is a few days ago because the website said for sailings through October 31, but the linked document with the terms and conditions said December 31st.

I didn't get a reply, but when I went back and checked the website it is now updated and says sailings through December 31st.

SmartSelect_20210905-101619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.beee6875712c5d8c42103d610a12c75e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Ugh, what a situation.  Seems like everything has worked out as best as possible.  Still sucks though. 

On a side note, what a “crazy” first and second post for CC member since 2013.  A true lurker. 

If I was retired and had unlimited time off than yes it worked out as best as possible. However with limited vacation time and with limited discretionary income It would be an issue to fly all the way to Europe only to view it through a hotel window for 10 days.  Jimbo was smart for moving his cruise. The OP may be in a different situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sianli said:

Wete you allowed to shift? Or did you just cancel and rebook? 

The Covid Assistance plan allows for a full refund if you test positive before boarding. What I did not see is any language about the return flight. It is covered for people who test positive during the cruise, but I guess the people who test positive before and must quarantine in the port city just use their regularly scheduled flight unless they have to stay beyond the return date because they still test positive. In that case, travel insurance should pay for any flight change fees.

Wow. Round trip to Europe just to sit in a hotel.

• Like 1

Oh I am so sorry this happened to you.  As a single cruiser in Florida,  I know how crushed I'd be if this happened on the first cruise I booked in so long - but to travel so far with a family? 

I'm glad at the least you're getting some assistance.  Hope you and your family is well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raiannon said:

I emailed about how long the coverage is a few days ago because the website said for sailings through October 31, but the linked document with the terms and conditions said December 31st.

I didn't get a reply, but when I went back and checked the website it is now updated and says sailings through December 31st.

SmartSelect_20210905-101619_Chrome.thumb.jpg.beee6875712c5d8c42103d610a12c75e.jpg

what is interesting is the OP's family member had tested positive at the cruise terminal before boarding the ship and Royal is still covering their hotel/food quarantine expense.       Is that rules for Europe?

Curious if a US child under 12 tests positive at pre-cruise test in any US port, will royal pay for that family to stay at a hotel near cruise port if they flew from another state?

If yes, this is probably another big reason why Royal is not offering testing for everyone at cruise terminal before embarkment 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think Royal's Air2sea could help with changing their flights home.

Yes, definitely a good thing you were able to shift your sailing to Sept 22.   too many unknowns with traveling/flying right now, especially to another country.